UK theme parks from another point of view!

Coke
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

ERT 2009

Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:26 pm

During 2009 ERT is available to Hotel Guests, Annual Passholders and anybody who books online.
Confirmed here: [url=http://www.altontowers.com/pages/prices" target="_blank]http://www.altontowers.com/pages/prices[/url]

It also says attractions include Oblivion, SEALIFE and Rita - Queen of Speed.

Now Annual Passholders effectively have their exclusive ride time taken off them to benefit the people that shell out less and don't come as often. :evil:

Are you thirsty?

jordi20012002
TT Member
TT Member

Re: ERT 2009

Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:57 pm

Be nice for people to get the sea life out of the way first before people start pouring through the gates 8)

Coke
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:00 pm

Yes, but now the majority of visitors will get ERT, which really makes the benefit of ERT, no longer a benefit for Passholders that are loyal and pay upto £150 for a pass!

Are you thirsty?

Rob L
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:03 pm

I'm not happy at all with this, that's one of the main benefits of having an Annual Pass effectively taken away. I'd say that a lot of people do book their tickets online, especially if they are not using offers to get in on the day so that means a lot of people are going to get ERT.

I thought more Annual Pass benefits were going to be announced and not certain benefits taken away. :evil:

Jon
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:07 pm

Online bookings always used to come with ERT, but it got stopped around 2004ish, with just hotel guests and annual pass holders alone getting the benefit of ERT. I don't mind it this way. It gives people who book online with Alton that added sense of value. Its a bit of a slap in the face when you book tickets online then arrive to see people buying their tickets cheaply with widely available vouchers then, after that point, getting exactly the same benefits. Booking in "advance" should come with the feeling of "advance".
Formerly "Dagoo"

Rob L
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:11 pm

Yes but there is already the benefit of a discount when booking online and the fact that you don't have to queue to but tickets on the day. It's a lot easier booking online now and people don't need the bonus of ERT to do this. This is a really bad move that they will probably get away with.

alwarun
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:15 pm

I think its a great idea. It eases the mad rush in the morning but also if you think abou it the attractions that are on offer are spread throughout the park and not concentrated to one area therefore easing the queues for other attractions. Which in turn will improve how people move around the park and allow people to get on more rides!

Corkscrewed

Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:15 pm

Well thats annoying, I don't wanna be queuin for a ride for the whole of ERT just because lots of people had the common sense of booking in advance -_-

Coke
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:28 pm

I used to love riding the big rides with 5-10 minute waits and getting a head start to Rita before big crowds. Sadly this will happen no more. :(

Are you thirsty?

Jon
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:37 pm

Yes your queues will be a bit longer, but at the benefit of having more people enjoy this exclusive wait? It's still extra time in park that no other normal, inferior peasant guests have.

You say that guests who book online already have the benefits of discounted entry and no queueing so that's enough. Well I could say the same about annual pass holders. Yes, it shows a reliable, valued customer, but you do get discounted food, hotel, merch. blar blar blar as well as ERT. Also, the discount isn't exactly the best incentive going seeing as couchers enable much cheaper prices anyway.

I mean, if every day were as busy as, say, a Halloween day or summer day then I could see your point. But its noit. a guest who has just bought their tickets online thinking they were getting a better deal then arriving at the gates to find a 10, 5 or no minute wait for the ticket booths, they wouldn't feel as valued as an officially pre-cooked person should.

I'm also glad that they have reverted back to having thrill rides on the menu for ERT, as last year it was pretty much all family rides.
Formerly "Dagoo"

And.
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:45 pm

"Rob" wrote:
Yes but there is already the benefit of a discount when booking online.

The same can be said with the Annual Pass though - you get the benefit of a heavy discount when the pass is heavily used - as it is by most people on this forum.

We're probably only talking about dozens of extra people on park anyway - it shouldn't impact on queue times too much, and fuller rides may give a better experience (Battle Galleons anybody? - not that many people go on it anyway!)

That said, I can understand why people are getting het up about it.

WillPS
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:54 pm

The benefit of your Annual Pass is huge savings when visiting more than a hand full of times in a year. When XRT was introduced, it was for Alton Towers Hotel guests, annual pass holders and prebookers, so they're only really "giving it back".

You'll find 75% of people pay on the day anyway, usually using vouchers.

Joe Koopa
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:12 pm

Glad that Rita & Oblivion will be open for this year's ERT. Should make a nice change of plan early in the morning! :D

dizzy_telford
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:21 am

I really dont think it will be that much of an issue, as many people come from all over the place to go to Alton Towers, and baring this in mind, some already have to leave at stupid'o'clock to get there for 10am, let alone getting there for 9am! Some guests wont even bother with this! I only live 40miles away but am still gonna have to get up REALLY early to get there...so imagine how it would be for people further away!

Crofty

Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:07 am

Agreed with above, the majority of people don't get on park until 10 or 11 am. I think it's much better to do this than have the massive irritating queues at the main entrance.
I can see how pass holders might get a bit peeved but I don't think it will make a massive difference to queue times at the moment and your still getting more time in the park.

:D :D

NF2
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:44 am

Exactly, whenever i've been in the hotel and got to the park for dead on 9:00, Towers Street is always dead, nobody is in the park and only about half of Car Park A will be filled. As somebody who livs in Newcastle, I have to get up at 4 in the morning to even have a chance of getting there by 10:00, never mind 9:00!

I don't expect to see this cause too many problems, most rational people, including myself when with family, do not get up at 6:00 in the morning for one extra hour on park. Hell, you even see people still trailing in at 12:00, and not in small numbers too!

Mattmash
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:51 pm

This will be my first year as a pass holder, so my first year of ERT, but not too bothered by this. Probably won't make too much of a difference especially as the season goes on and more vouchers become readily available (BOGOF etc). Also as mentioned, a lot of people already have to leave at stupid o' clock to get there for 10am, nevermind 9am.

Could this be the first attempt to spread out the traffic a little bit, as mentioned at the planning meeting? Maybe not so effective on weekdays as this will encourage more people to arrive earlier when it is peak time/rush hour on the roads anyway.

oldgitBEN

Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:15 pm

I do think its a little bit of a kick in the teeth to annual pass holders and hotel guests -they are paying a higher premium and should be entitiled to aome better treatment and the ERT supplied this.

I dont however think it will make a massive difference, I had an AP for 3 years and only ever once made ERT due to the fact I live too far away to get there early. Even when I've stayed in the hotel I tend to have a lie-in and potter to the park whenever Im ready.

davidaiow
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:34 pm

I don't think that pass holders are paying a higher price. Not per trip anyway. Yeah you have the initial £150 but you only get that if you use it a lot. And it includes other parks. So per day, I reckon that in terms of payment, those who pay more on the day deserve the ERT.

towers freak

Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:00 pm

I dont know what people are worried about. Most people struggle to get to the park for 10 anyways so it shouldnt be a problem. On another note its good to see Rita and Oblivion open for ERT.