UK theme parks from another point of view!

Jay18
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Spinball Whizzer touch up

Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:48 pm

While at the opening weekend, i went over too spinball and found the track very dull and not it's vibrant red colour, which to me is quite disapointing and ugly. For me the fantastic red track and uber green ride supports really brought the ride too life and kept in with the exciting theming and atmosphere in the area.

Surely a touch up is in order, just like corky's a few years back!?

('fraid i have no photos of spinny to prove my point)
[url=http://www.realworldoncanvas.com\" target=\"_blank]http://www.realworldoncanvas.com[/url]
[size=150]Landscape/Historical/Abstract/Still life

The whole of TTF says thanks to Jay18 for this post

Coke
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Spinball Whizzer touch up

Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:14 pm

Spinball didn't get a touch up over the closed season because the maintenance crew were working on painting Cloud Cuckoo Land and other attractions. Either way Spinball and the other major rides usually get a touch up every 3 years - hopefully in 2010!

Are you thirsty?

Jon
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:16 pm

I wouldn't mind at all if they gave Spinball Whizzer a complete retheme if I'm honest. The vibrancy of the red works great on Rita, but for Spinball it's an eyesore. The bright green and red somewhat destroy the view of the towers.

I'd love it if they came to retheme Adventure Land to make the whole area cute and rustic like Squirrel Nutty. with small bursts of colour rather than have the whole thing bright. Not only does this make the view from the towers better, it also adds cohesion to the area and will last longer before looking tacky.

What I hate most about the way Spinball looks is how the supports look. In general, on any roller coaster, big thick supports that are simple look MUCH more visually appealing than flimsy ones. It makes the ride area look cluttered. The annoying thing about them is that they can't really be changed due to the ride's design.

There are pleanty of structures around Spinball that just don't have the same permanant look about them as the all of the other coasters in the park do. Though Air has minimal themeing, its still nice to look at due to its ikea-like simplicity.
Formerly "Dagoo"

Jay18
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:27 pm

"Dagoo" wrote:
I wouldn't mind at all if they gave Spinball Whizzer a complete retheme if I'm honest. The vibrancy of the red works great on Rita, but for Spinball it's an eyesore. The bright green and red somewhat destroy the view of the towers.

I'd love it if they came to retheme Adventure Land to make the whole area cute and rustic like Squirrel Nutty. with small bursts of colour rather than have the whole thing bright. Not only does this make the view from the towers better, it also adds cohesion to the area and will last longer before looking tacky.

What I hate most about the way Spinball looks is how the supports look. In general, on any roller coaster, big thick supports that are simple look MUCH more visually appealing than flimsy ones. It makes the ride area look cluttered. The annoying thing about them is that they can't really be changed due to the ride's design.

There are pleanty of structures around Spinball that just don't have the same permanant look about them as the all of the other coasters in the park do. Though Air has minimal themeing, its still nice to look at due to its ikea-like simplicity.

This is what Alton Towers are best at, mix match in theming, and i find it quite an appealing ride with it's vibrancy, eye catching and exciting appearance

The supports are quite 'flimsy' for the rides own safety and general 'resting' into it's foundations, you'll notice it wobbles like buggery, if it had thick sturdy support beams, it would vibrate all the way to FV in the end, or collapse. And i also feel that the beams add to the rides excitement as you spin and see track/beams/nothing etc
[url=http://www.realworldoncanvas.com\" target=\"_blank]http://www.realworldoncanvas.com[/url]

[Archive]

Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:31 pm

I don't think Spinball Whizzer looks bad at all. It might have worn paint but it's not an eyesore in my view, infact I think it livens up the view from Towers Street really. Red and blue was a good choice of colours. The only problem with the ride in terms of appearance is that Alton Towers has tried to make the corner it sits in a 'land' called 'Adventure Land' which just doesn't work with a dragon themed roller coaster, space themed play area and a tree-top themed monorail ride already there! :lol:

Dave

Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:31 pm

ive never understood why since it opened spinball wizer has REALLY patchy paintwork on its suports. it looks really messy and as if the rde is really poorly looked after (even though i know its not)

i think it needs a full paint job to just give if a bit more of a shiney new feel

seanyboyuk
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:44 pm

it a shame the supports werent closed inside pinball like sring coils would have looked better.

Joe Koopa
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:22 pm

To be honest, I'd love it if they just turned UG Land into a tacky area with Rita, Spinball Wizzer & The Flume and call it done. :lol:

James
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:35 pm

I think we won't see anything done to Spinball Whizzer until Adventure Land has gets re-themed. But then who knows...

Thomas
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:29 pm

Oblivion re-paint before Spinball please.

I can't see a re-paint of Spinball untill its rethemed or infact removed. All Towers coasters look like they could do with a paint, Air, Oblivion, Nemesis (although it kind of adds to its theme).

Spinballs location and loose theme make it either close to removal or retheme, the latter being preferable :).

Jon
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:43 pm

How good would it be if they could move Spinball over to the edge of coaster corner and call it part of Cloud Cuckoo Land?
Formerly "Dagoo"

CoasterCrazyChris
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:44 pm

^ While they're at it they can just uproot the flume and its lake too and squeeze it up there as well....lol.
:D

[Archive]

Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:51 pm

"Thomas" wrote:
I can't see a re-paint of Spinball until its rethemed or infact removed.

There's just one little problem with repainting Spinball Whizzer when it is being removed... #-o

I actually think having an area where all the rides with the wrong theme are shoved together would be good!
NEW for 2011! Land Of Stuff! Now with added geography themed games stall!

JonnytheWelt

Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:34 pm

The whole 'Adventureland' area needs a revamp! Brown supports with green track, plant some tall trees in and around the queue line and theme it all with Storybook land to the 'Happy Forest' or something (lame name I know!?)

But yeh it's looking even worse now that it isnt bright red - it'll be pink going on rusty brown before it gets touched though, shame really because it has potential to be one the best area's/rides in the park. Just needs a good theme!

Jay18
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:24 pm

"Thomas" wrote:
I can't see a re-paint of Spinball untill its rethemed or infact removed. All Towers coasters look like they could do with a paint, Air, Oblivion, Nemesis (although it kind of adds to its theme).

They touched corky's paint up a few years ago, and that didn't incure a re-theme or a ..well...nevermind. Spinball came to us red so it should be kept red! not orange, not rust, not faded! very ugly

Ash
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:56 am

For me it should be removed and relocated to Cloud Cuckoo Land and named after some sort of Cloud Creator or Cloud Catcher (this also joins in with the last line from the CATCF lift "If we can capture these clouds and turn them into candy floss")

So it would go in coaster corner, and have parts where the ride is close too the floor it goes through a shedesque buldings that are full of smoke.

At the top of the lift there would be barometers wind gauges etc. The station would be themed around a lab and you are queuing up to be part WIAT (Weather Institution Of Alton Towers)

Entrance themed around weather recording equipment, there would be no pre show etc as i dont think it needs it perhaps a TV or 2 in the station explaining all, with appearences from Sir Algenon and the guy who invents stuff (this is another one of his inventions) You are collecting clouds so they can be used in "the factory" in Cloud Cuckoo Land as there part of a secret recipe!

Umm thats it really thats what id do, change the colours perhaps, and in its place id put a horse themed family coaster like Pegasus that would be a mack young star coaster which would dash inbetween trees and wooded theming matching the current area with large landscaping and planting helping it to blend in.

:)

Joe Koopa
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:36 am

Those are some brilliant ideas there, Ash. :clap: I'd love to see Spinball in Cloud Cuckoo Land with some light-blue colouring and heavy theming. A quick question from me is was it true that Spinball Wizzer was going to get moved into The Black Hole Tent a few years back?

CoasterCrazyChris
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:12 pm

"Koopa-Troopa" wrote:
Those are some brilliant ideas there, Ash. :clap: I'd love to see Spinball in Cloud Cuckoo Land with some light-blue colouring and heavy theming. A quick question from me is was it true that Spinball Wizzer was going to get moved into The Black Hole Tent a few years back?

It would never in a million years fit!

As for theming Spinball around a woodland or something, well that would make three woodland themed area on park, a bit too much!

JonnytheWelt

Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:15 pm

Yeh true. Woodland themes would start becoming a bit common. Guess it's just seen as an easy answer to Alton covering up bad theme choices they've made before..

Love the CCL Spinball idea though Ash. Would actually make that area really good with the adding of Spinball. Would also allow some sort've development to go ahead in Adventureland. Think it would cost much to do? Although I suppose getting planning permission for tree removal etc for the back of CCL would be the downside.