UK theme parks from another point of view!

Gemzie121
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Submission and Ripsaw

Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:20 pm

I've never been on Submission before but my friend really wants to go on it when we go the week after next. However I've heard it isn't that good, is painful ride etc... so would you say its worth going on, or not?

Also, just how wet do you get on Ripsaw? I'm imagining its going to be freezing as it'll be end of April, should we wear a mac or not? and is it true it sprays right in your face? :lol:

Ty!

x

[Archive]

Re: Submission and Ripsaw

Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:29 pm

I think Submission is not really that great a ride, though the feeling of revolving upside down isn't bad. Ripsaw is fun because of the flipping over and getting wet (and you do get your hair soaked and face wet, that's all) but if you don't like getting water directly sprayed in your face, sit at the seats on the edge, as the water misses. I would recommend riding Ripsaw.
Last edited by [Archive] on Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dave

Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:30 pm

Submission isnt as painfull as some people make out. and can be a good ride if you dont think about it feels to much.

as for ripsaw, yes it does spray you right in the face. and how wet you get varies from ride to ride, if your going on it id recoment you wear somethign waterproof. watch it a couple of times first and see how wet people are getting as there may be a particulaly mean opperator, its pot luck

Gemzie121
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:32 pm

Thankyou! :)

Think I will give both a go then, and will try for the end seats, I will be going on via disabled queue so imagine they'd sit me by the end for easier evacuation anyway? i hope so! :)

Joe Koopa
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:19 pm

Submission can be quite painful, esspecally for males. It is worth atleast on ride though. Same about Ripsaw, which I haven't ever actually got wet on. :)
Last edited by Joe Koopa on Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AstroDan

Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:28 pm

Ripsaw hasn't been very wet this season - mainly as the ride is suffering from technical problems and as such they are being very careful with it. Generally, you'll just get a face spray.

stokywolf
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:01 pm

Thought i'd chuck this random fact in. On average Ripsaw holds it's riders upside down for a longer duration than Submission.
Tavern hall of famer - rockerz my sockerz

neontrix
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:02 pm

Submission isnt painful, Its freaky. Nothing bad about it, in fact its fun
:D
:joy:
"We are entertainers. The fact we use concrete and steel to do our entertaining, as apposed to a piece of Shakespearean text or whatever, is... is immaterial" - John Wardley, 1997

FootieGamer
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:18 pm

I went on Submission on Saturday for the first time, wasn't painful like people said and was quite a good ride.

Also went on Ripsaw for the first time and I didn't even get wet :( I wasn't on the end either. Everyone else on the ride did, I was just like WTF

jomo1993
TT Member
TT Member

Fri May 01, 2009 7:18 pm

both are poor rides (in my opinion) and as everyone else above has said it doesnt hurt as much as people make out. find it hilarious how all the kids (well boys) all scream "ahhh me nuts" when it quite clearly causes little or no pain ot your "nuts". Makes me want to cry
MIND THE DOORS PLEASE

MIND THE DOORS

Harry R
TT Member
TT Member

Sat May 02, 2009 12:47 pm

I suppose whether the rides are painful or not can depend on how tall or broad you are.

At almost 6'5" tall I find submission very painful, and Ripsaw 'just' nips the tops of my shoulders when the restraint comes down, which can rather hurt.

Other rides where tall people may suffer (based on my personal experience):

Spinball - not enough leg room
Rita - lack of leg room in the back seats of each car (front seat is ok though)
Duel - ok but keep your knees low when the bar comes down

And remember - different people are of different proportions. I have quite long legs but other people who are as tall as me could have slightly shorter legs but a longer torso, meaning they have less trouble with leg room and more problems with shoulder restraints.

Jon
TT Member
TT Member

Sat May 02, 2009 4:50 pm

Submission is an okay filler ride, if there isn't a queue for it that is. If I've come off Oblivion and I'm with people that really don't like Enterprise we may wander over to Submission to check out the queue. It's not great, but you may as well if there's no queue. If you don't find it painful, then you are bound to come off highly giggley.

Ripsaw is a different kettle of fish and is deserving of being an attraction you make an effort to go to in itself, rather than a filler ride from Air or Nemesis. It is worth queueing for both because it is a better ride and because it can be just as fun watching others ride it than doing it yourself. It is much more thrilling and unpredictable (unless you know all the ride patterns by heart, that is :P) than Submission. Even if the water is off, it is still a cracking ride.
Formerly "Dagoo"

bushboy2

Sun May 03, 2009 11:38 am

I've only ever been on Submission once. The first season it opened. It wasn't painful. I don't see how it could be either. It was, however, pretty boring. Hence why I have never bothered to go on again since.

Ripsaw, on the otherhand, isn't to be missed! Excellent ride, although a bit tame these days. Such a shame as it has so much potential as a great flat, but the park don't run it properly anymore. It's the best flat on park, although, tbh, thats not saying much. The flat ride line up at Towers is pretty poor.

willo65
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 14, 2009 3:45 pm

I went on submission and queued for about 30 mins for some reason they were only running one side of it. Anyway i thought it wasn't all that and would maybe go on again if there isn't a queue.

Rob L
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 14, 2009 3:49 pm

30 minutes is a long wait for Submission! But yeah they only run one side of it now, I'm not too sure on the reason why, I've heard a few different things, but I'm sure someone else here knows why!

adsyrah
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 14, 2009 4:25 pm

I'm one of the people who found it painful.

It really hurt the top of my thighs when it held me upsode down when I went on it for the first time. I've not been on it since.

Harry R hit the nail on the head. It's all about your body proportions.

Luke

Fri May 15, 2009 8:33 am

"Rob" wrote:
30 minutes is a long wait for Submission!

You should've seen it in 2001... The queue reached 90 minutes every weekend! People obviously 'found' the ride out though, as in 2002 it was as quiet as it is nowadays. :P

Now and again it will reach 30 minutes, but only if the park is exceptionally busy or if Oblivion has broken down. I find it quite uncomfortable, but we have to give it some credit as visually it is one of the most stunning rides in the park.

Ripsaw on the other hand is a much better ride experience, and again is great to watch. It's a real shame that the ops aren't allowed to soak guests anymore - it kind of detracts from the experience; unless of course it's Rob operating - give him a cheeky little wave and shout his name and you're in for a drenching, mechanical failure or no mechanical failure! :twisted:

davidaiow
TT Member
TT Member

Fri May 15, 2009 4:31 pm

Visually, if both arms were working, I would argue that Submission is better than Ripsaw. In it's current state however, Ripsaw is better.

Both rides are way past their sell by date and I would be more than happy to see modern replicas in their place, along with some more new flats of course (like the SkySwat)

kingda dude
TT Member
TT Member

Fri May 15, 2009 4:44 pm

One I lost £3.00 on submission and another time my friend lost a £5 note, but I have never lost a thing on ripsaw. also submusion hurts.
"The Marmalisation Process has been scientifically designed to ensure a sense of euphoria and satisfaction should be had by all... There are no, known, Long Term side effects to the Marmalisation process, however short term side effects may include: dizziness, vomiting, loss of balance, loss of limb control, feinting, wild hallucinations but most importantly Smiles!"

Skumfidus

Fri May 15, 2009 4:51 pm

"kingda dude" wrote:
One I lost £3.00 on submission and another time my friend lost a £5 note, but I have never lost a thing on ripsaw. also submusion hurts.

That's not exactly the rides fault, having loose change in your pockets when being held upside down is never going to be good times is it?

Submission is a good ride...when on a good setting. It looks very nice when both arms are working, and when the sound effects were working at their full volume the atmosphere was pretty cool, now however it's on a poor setting, has only one arm, and the music and announcements are so quiet you can barely hear them....shame really.

I think people expect it to feel like how it would if the gondolas didn't rotate, so are surprised to feel the bizarre 'constantly pushed against the harness' thing. The only thing that makes the ride thrilling is being held upside down, which on the 'forbidden setting' is so long it makes you feel like your head is going to explode....scweeeet!