UK theme parks from another point of view!

Ash
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Key To Winning HB Lesiure Games

Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:02 pm

Hey,

So as ive had enough of on the odd occasion actually trying to win a cr*p toy and losing due to the classic tricks used for the HB leisure games, i thought this would be a good topic for staff, past staff and succesful punters to explain how to win some of the games and how the odds are stacked in HB's favour!

Obviously the classic the basketball game where the hoops are oval not circle

Shocking

And.
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Key To Winning HB Lesiure Games

Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:06 pm

All the games have to be winnable by law. HB Leisure found this out at their peril in their first year on park.

There are techniques that can be used to win the games, but most of the games are games of skill - so there is an amount of skill required to win.

Here's an obvious tip: don't play the golf challenge on a windy day. The ball will fly as they are very lightweight.

:)

haydn!
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:15 pm

The steady hand game is much easier if you use two hands, and keep the hoop as close to horizontal as possible. Move with the game, don't try to move the game... :wink:

The ones where you must get the ball to stay in the buckets on their sides... well, as all the single boys will know.... the trick is in the wrist action!

Ash
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:18 pm

Apparently on that on you have to spin it back to you and make it hit the bottom of the bucket or is it forward spin. Im not sure but i know Tom would be useful right now.

haydn!
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:22 pm

It's a backward spin, by flipping your wrist up as you release the ball. The backwards spin then counter acts the forward force of the ball hitting the bucket. It slows it down, meaning it doesn't have enough momentum to bounce back out!

Skumfidus

Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:43 pm

The worst HB trick is the steady hand game.....ask the member of staff to do it and he will and will ALWAYS succeed, because under the counter is a foot pedal....press it down and it stops the buzzer from going off! Have a look next time you're near one, every one has a pedal!

haydn!
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:06 pm

"Ryanfuk" wrote:
The worst HB trick is the steady hand game.....ask the member of staff to do it and he will and will ALWAYS succeed, because under the counter is a foot pedal....press it down and it stops the buzzer from going off! Have a look next time you're near one, every one has a pedal!

It can be done easily enough without having to cheat! Trust me... I worked for HB, and since leaving several years ago I've won at Drayton Manor, Alton Towers and others.

Tom M
TT Member
TT Member

Fri May 01, 2009 10:23 pm

"Ash" wrote:
Apparently on that on you have to spin it back to you and make it hit the bottom of the bucket or is it forward spin. Im not sure but i know Tom would be useful right now.

Lol go on then...

Your first tip, and this is an important one:
The games are easier to win in the mornings!
If you are going to play the games, play them first thing in the morning because the attendants usually give out 'deals' or 'offers' on games to get guests to play and to try give out a few prizes in the morning. Why? Because guests walking around the park with giant orange sharks etc is advertising and as a result the games will be more popular.

Forbidden Pots/Prove Yerself a Pirate
There's a tennis ball wedged at the back of the bucket making it really bouncy. As a result of this try not let the ball hit the back.
Throw the ball quite high with backspin on it and try get the ball to land just on the inside rim of the bucket at the bottom and it should stay in!

However you have to get 2/2 balls in the bucket to win, so throw that extra ball in the bucket as quick as you can before the attendant removes the first! The ball already in the bucket will stop your 2nd ball from bouncing back out! ;)

Ug Basketball/Land The Loot

These are your traditional basketball games, one ball in the hoop to win. The balls do fit through the hoop, however the hoops are an oval shape making it difficult! The balls are usually pumped up as much as possible making them extra bouncy.

If you do play this game, throw the basketball high with a netball style throw. Avoid hitting the backboard, remember - the balls are extra bouncy! Go for a swish as if it hits the rim of the hoop it will just bounce off.

Katanga CatRack/Dunk The Pirate

You have to knock down 3 'cats' with 3 balls to win the prize on this one.
Accuracy is the key to winning, most players throw the ball as hard as they can and completely miss the cats. It doesn't take a lot of power to knock down a cat so be as accurate as you can with a 'darts' style throw. The hair around the cats make them look bigger than they actually are so try hit them on the nose!

Captains Challenge/Looney Ladder

This is a game of skill! The operator can usually do this one everytime as they have had a lot of practice.

Keep your hands on the outside ropes at all times, ignore the rungs inbetween and keep your feet as far apart as possible.
Move your right foot and your left hand up a rung at the same time applying equal pressure to keep your balance.
Then move your left foot and right hand up a rung, once again at the same time to keep your balance.
Whatever you do, do not move your left hand and left foot or right hand and right foot at the same time! This will cause you to lose your balance and flip the ladder!

More tips later on when I can be bothered. :P

Shent
TT Member
TT Member

Sat May 02, 2009 12:05 am

I can see a court case coming tbh
......The one and only... :sus:

haydn!
TT Member
TT Member

Sat May 02, 2009 8:26 am

"Shent" wrote:

Based on what?

Tom M
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:51 am

"Shent" wrote:

Zomg, he told everyone how to throw a ball! Sue him!

kingda dude
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:06 am

Hey, you know those 'mechanical claw' machines (the one where you spend 20-50p and you use a joystick to control the claw to pick up your prise). They have a box in them (honest) that controls if the grabber grabs hard or soft, the box is in a constant ratio, e.g. 10 soft grabs to 1 hard grad which gets you the toy, the way to win this is to wait for someone to win, then count how many people loose until the next person wins. Next you wait for the same amount of people to have a go, on the winning turn you go up to the machine and take your prise (if you can aim it right).
"The Marmalisation Process has been scientifically designed to ensure a sense of euphoria and satisfaction should be had by all... There are no, known, Long Term side effects to the Marmalisation process, however short term side effects may include: dizziness, vomiting, loss of balance, loss of limb control, feinting, wild hallucinations but most importantly Smiles!"

Islander
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:17 am

"kingda dude" wrote:
Hey, you know those 'mechanical claw' machines (the one where you spend 20-50p and you use a joystick to control the claw to pick up your prise). They have a box in them (honest) that controls if the grabber grabs hard or soft, the box is in a constant ratio, e.g. 10 soft grabs to 1 hard grad which gets you the toy, the way to win this is to wait for someone to win, then count how many people loose until the next person wins. Next you wait for the same amount of people to have a go, on the winning turn you go up to the machine and take your prise (if you can aim it right).

Are you sure it's that predictable? A ratio of, say, 10 to 1 needn't mean that every 10th person in order wins. Would surely just mean that 1 in 10 people, randomly picked, wins.

Vicki
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:25 pm

No, it's true, saw it on Brainiac (I know, not the most credible source). It is every x person, BUT, there's another control, which is the grab strength, so even if you are person x, you've still not got a guarenteed win.
The Lonely end of the Rink- a great song, and it\'s usually the case when I go ice skating because I just can\'t keep up!

ScreamForMe
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:19 pm

Anybody seen the real hustle? they often feature fairground game scams.
Here are some of them on this playlist:
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxlH1WsR5YU&feature=PlayList&p=ADD49BF0701CE4FD&index=0" target="_blank]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxlH1WsR ... FD&index=0[/url]

NickT04
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:09 pm

I hate these games! Although the plush Nintendo toys are tempting!