UK theme parks from another point of view!

DiogoJ42

Re: SW6 Construction

Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:17 am

"dormiensdraco" wrote:
if i'm not mistaken SW6 has the second biggest drop on park so it should pack some thrills.

is it just me, or (looking at the plans) does the first drop have a hint of The Beast to it? :?

Vik
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:50 am

Just something I mentioned in the Ride Topic:-

It probably labeled as a family coaster as it has a 1.2m minimum hight. Remember that Russel Barnes said in the TV interview last year that this will be something special, and also it was mentioned that this coaster will be for Thrill seekers.

Don't write it off just yet just because of the 'Family coaster' label.

:D
Sent from my ZX81 via Time Travel

Mattt
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:10 pm

Remember, Velocity at Flamingo Land is a family coaster...

DiogoJ42

Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:12 pm

I think these days the GP class anything that doesn't invert or go vertical (or beyond) as a family ride.

Anonymous

Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:16 pm

Maverick was classed as a Family Coaster pre-build also

AstroDan

Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:03 pm

Europa-Park consider Blue Fire to be a family rollercoaster.

:)

DiogoJ42

Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:14 pm

"AstroDan" wrote:
Europa-Park consider Blue Fire to be a family rollercoaster.

Proof that the term is meaningless!

Jon
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:05 pm

I'm not saying that with the family label that the ride will be utterly thrill-less, but looking at that sticker, for me, shows that Alton wanted to highlight who they are aiming for with it. It still shows a certain...disinclination to the "ways of old" when they hunked bits of steel together in the most frightening forms possible.

Doubtless, this project is REALLY exciting and seeing track arrive is a great new step, but I always thought from the beginning of the project, when they labeled it SW6 it was all too forced. Especially when the "another world's first" poster was put up, it showed clearly their leaning on other of Alton's coaster's identities more to cover up that, in itself, the ride is in a different league.

I really feel they have had Exp. Everest in the backs of their minds throughout this project, thinking of the audience that ride mystifies each day. Seeing that label and the, erm, consciousness of it sums it up. While its disappointing that we aren't going to see another nemesis, I am excited that we are going to see something a little of the wall, but finite to the last degree. In short, Hex the roller coaster.
Formerly "Dagoo"

maguire245
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:28 pm

Maybe the track will be able to hold the speeds of a more extreme speed/tensity, but it doesn't nessasarily mean the ride itself will be extreme. I'm sure this will be suitable for the younger kids, 8 - 9 upwards. The focus is on the scaryness, not the ride intensity.

Matt.C
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:53 pm

Are shock absorbers regular occurences with rollercoasters? Or could it be something for the Worlds First?

Mankey
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:20 pm

What's wrong with family coasters?! :? Doesn't take away any bit of fun from it! Big Thunder Mountain anyone? Colorado Adventure?!

I myself am pretty happy about this news, looks like it will be an Intamin Mega-Lite then! :D Cant wait!
[b]Back from hibernation![b]

Johno
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:55 pm

"Matt.C" wrote:
Are shock absorbers regular occurences with rollercoasters? Or could it be something for the Worlds First?

I'm not sure.

However, I did think that if we were having 'collapsing track' then shock absorbers would be used for this.

CoasterCrazyChris
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:23 pm

"Mankey" wrote:
What's wrong with family coasters?! :? Doesn't take away any bit of fun from it! Big Thunder Mountain anyone? Colorado Adventure?

I know but they both rely heavily on theming and lanscaping which will be restricted with SW6.

haydn!
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:37 pm

"CoasterCrazyChris""][quote=""Mankey" wrote:
What's wrong with family coasters?! :? Doesn't take away any bit of fun from it! Big Thunder Mountain anyone? Colorado Adventure?

I know but they both rely heavily on theming and lanscaping which will be restricted with SW6.[/quote]

I beg to differ. If anything Alton Towers and SW6 have the upper hand here. The natural setting that is the woods SW6 will speed through is far more aesthetically pleasing than some faux rocks.

Also, the station building looks set to be pretty impressive. It's design again complimenting the parks natural and historical setting, and from the work carried out so, it seems the ride area around the lift hill, and first drop and helix will too be heavily landscaped.

AstroDan

Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:41 pm

Whilst I feel there's a massive over-reaction to the "family" labelling, I do understand it 100%. At the end of the day, Alton Towers over the 90s and into the early 00s became the home of innovative thrill rides in Europe. The park attracted thrill seekers of all ages to ride on world famous rollercoasters like Nemesis and Oblivion. This petered out with Rita being a "lesser" example of an Alton classic and, since then, the park has not given that thrill portion of the market anything. At all. So basically, people are stamping their feet.

So, we come 5 years down the line, and we get a new coaster costing a lot of money. People understandably want something exciting and thrilling. Of course, this may not be such - but I hope that the park know who this is aimed at.

It's all about the inside!

Altonator
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:00 am

Great pics Dan and Barryzola Cheers :D
I was just thinking about some of these labels referring to family coaster etc do you think AT could of attached these to the crates to confuse us?
It's a thrill coaster really :P
Whatever the weather outside it\'s always tropical at Cariba Creek

AstroDan

Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:19 am

"Altonator" wrote:
Great pics Dan and Barryzola Cheers :D
I was just thinking about some of these labels referring to family coaster etc do you think AT could of attached these to the crates to confuse us?
It's a thrill coaster really :P

I have to be honest but I can imagine certain people at AT doing that. Although you'd like to think they have more on their plate.

:lol:

barryzola

Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:25 am

I havn't posted in here since i put those pics up a couple of days ago. Many thanks to the people who have appreciated them :)

The people who sort of know me will know that i have enjoyed a good coaster, as well as the other aspects of the park, for about the last 20 odd years.

Over the years, there have been periods where there have been more thrill rides produced than others, then in recent history we have seen a lean towards family types of attractions. The success of the park/resort over all these years just always suggests to me that there is an intrinsic philosophy within the minds of any given management team to keep all potential customers interested. The people in control i'm sure are not naive.

They have taken the time to recruit John Wardley for advice or more as far as i remember (i really don't check out all the coaster threads so i could be wrong!). Would he just advise some crap at Alton being as successful as he is? I feel that they know there is a need for a tilt back to thrills over the next few years...starting here.

I'm not even suggesting that there will be an oblivion style ride where it is basically just, let's make people crap themselves. I reckon that SW6 will be a ride that is open and good for families but will be a bit of a shock to their system as soon as they find their selves racing through wherever they go. A bit like corkscrew in the way it could be a bit of a hardcore first coaster, a bit like the mine train where it really is a bit faster/rougher than you think it would be. Other than this, you know it'll have an excellent theme if Wardley is involved. Then there's whatever is going on in the ride generally, which i don't know exactly because i havn't seen the plans at Rita's level. Let's add a world first to that too, whatever that is?

I've really got a feeling that this is going to be an interesting, thrilling ride. People will travel from abroad to ride this amongst others like Nemesis. The land towards Abbey wood has been there for a long time. I don't think the park with how clued up about planning they are nowadays would sacrifice that land for how many years if the ride wouldn't be worth it?
Just my thoughts. I think this will be a good one.

and here's my pics from a few days ago as i reckon some people may have missed them...

"barryzola" wrote:
Hey guys. I'm not actually a big coaster nerd so i don't know if any of these pics will mean anything to you. What i am though is someone who knows all of the Alton Towers grounds very very well, and also which trails lead you to where.

I don't know if anyone's shared any of these pics from this location before but i can guaranteee i have not crossed any barriers or no entry signs to get to where i took these pics from. I did have to stand on a couple of logs that were helpfully positioned though :)

These pics show what it looks like from Abbey Wood facing towards Rita -

These pics show's construction coming down from Rita towards Abbey wood -

These pics then show the construction that was coming down from Rita then taking a left turn around a corner towards Air/Nemesis -

...and this ones nowhere near that lot and is more to where waveswinger was, just a mound of dirt really :lol:

Don't know if that lot means anything to you but there u go. Feel free to use them for TT if you want. If anyone's gonna share them about though just make sure you credit me and make sure people know i did not cross any no entry signs.

Craig

Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:19 pm

This topic is now locked, please continue discussion in SW6 Construction Part Two

Remember, the construction topic is for updates and discussion on the building of the ride. For discussion about the ride type etc please refer to the ride discussion topic.