UK theme parks from another point of view!

Islander
TT Member
TT Member

Re: SW6 Construction

Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:54 pm

Need it necessarily be 'launched', in the very, very fast sense?

What if (only a theory) it used the same hydraulic / catch-car technology as Rita/Stealth, but much, much less powerful, so that it's more like a fast lift than an accelerated lift?

I can imagine it being a damn-sight more reliable if it's not so fast, and hey, it'd be an innovative idea. Not entirely sure what the point would be, so that'd kinda where my idea fails... :P

"riderita" wrote:
Nemesis: Innovative cars (kind of!)

How so?

riderita
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:11 pm

I think if the launched lift hill is used it should only be used to make the usual dull journey a bit more exciting.

Right from the moment the train exits the station the ride should thrill and entertain. That is the ultimate aim! I believe a launched lift hill (however tame..) makes a big difference to the experience.

coasterdude_1
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:15 pm

if we're going down the launched lift hill route, then have a look at intamin's tornado at bakken... it's got a hydraulic lift hill... not a major launch, but provides a bit of acceleration up and off the lift... note the mechanism here: [url=http://coastersandmore.de/rides/tornado/tornado052.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]http://coastersandmore.de/rides/tornado/tornado052.jpg[/url]

FallenAngel
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:19 pm

Well theres a few new concepts on the market at the moment, Intamin have a couple of good new systems like the wing mounted coaster or the flying V shape. Also i think it may be Vekoma or someone like that who have just announced a new 4 abreast seating system which apparently will be seen in 2010.

The options are there, but I doubt world 1st seating is going to happen. Theres only so many new elements you can put on a ride before it becomes too much of an unknown territory to make it work safely and reliably.

Vik
TT Member
TT Member

Re: SW6 Ride Discussion

Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:52 pm

Have moved a number of posts about the possible lift hill elements from the Construction to here.
Sent from my ZX81 via Time Travel

Chris W
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:41 pm

I don't think its impossible that we might see a kinda "Thrill Lift" (I think thats what its called).

If you look at the first drop the initial gradient is pretty smooth and might suggest that the train will be carrying a bit more speed than usual as it crests the hill.

This has been discussed before though and I cannot remember if somebody mentioned a valid reason why we would not be getting a lift-hill like this.

King Sykes
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:48 pm

Id put my money on catch car right now, they seem to be installing them on most of the rides that have lift hills, in fact, excluding woodies they haven't had a chain lift since 2006. Also, like the post above says, the gradient is pretty smooth, so wouldn't rule out an accelerated propulsion, but a smooth gradient is also a characteristic of there catch cars. All that being said, most of there lift hills are much higher than SW6.
Still, not the most exiting speculation :wink:

As for having a new prototype car, that would be nice I suppose, but id be hoping for there regular sit down cars they use on Mega lites and there Hypers, with lapbars.. perfect for airtime :D

riderita
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:52 pm

Space mountain has a harsher dip than that and still launches. I believe SM does it to take a photo of riders?
Last edited by riderita on Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Islander
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:00 pm

"riderita" wrote:
Space mountain has a harsher dip than that and still launches. I believe SM does it to take a photo of riders?

Space Mountain uses a LIM launch, so I'm not sure how comparable it is to a catch-car launch...

Big Dave

Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:07 pm

"Javs""][quote=""Big Dave" wrote:
Thing is they also use standard lift hills in alot of their coasters. So who knows what we are going to get until parts start arriving, which they will over the next several weeks!

The plans to the council suggest it will be a Hydraulic Powered lift system.[/quote]

I believe the plans say it will use hydraulics, doesn't say it will be the lifting system. It could be the drop/switchback element.

riderita
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:11 pm

Islander:

That particular style of inverted trains were not first seen on nemesis... i think :)

I'll reply to quote next time!
Last edited by riderita on Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Islander
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:11 pm

"riderita" wrote:
How so?

That particular style of inverted trains were not first seen on nemesis... i think :)

...precisely, so how does that make Nemesis' cars innovative?

riderita
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:19 pm

My main point boiled down to this:

Although not innovated purposefully for Nemesis the trains were different and new.

Fresh innovation (although pre-existing) can still have impact.

PM me if you want to talk further :D

FallenAngel
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:35 pm

Big Dave can i just point out, being the one who brought up this topic in the 1st place, that all i said was that in the report submitted by the council discussing the ride it was implied that it would be a hydrolic powered system. not that it definitely was. i posted a quote from the piece in which it mentioned nothing of hydrolics in the world 1st part of the coaster, but was discussed in the context of the corkscrews lift system.

also as mentioned looking at the shape and layout of the lift track surely that is begging for a catch car. realistically if they were having a chain lift why would it be such a shallow gradient and so long when it could be so much more easily implemented on a steeper gradient with shortflat before the climb, resulting in a much shorter chain to reach the same height. cant see it being LIM though. just seems a completely redundant system.

leighhills
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:07 pm

I'd actually love the lift to have a LSM system on it. I've done Maverick, that lift is very exciting. Great fun :)

And they only use vast amounts of power when in use. What a few seconds? The Intamin hydraulic launch uses vast amounts of power constantly. Its quite efficient really. Aslong as theres some sort of on-site power storage unit, there shouldn't be an issue.

It would also help pacing with that extra boost in speed, help the first drop be more exciting. Give a 'wow' factor straight away, no pissing about. I don't think a normal chain/cable lift is a good idea for a drop so small and shallow. If the train is of any length then the front end will be half way down the drop before any acceleration kicks in. It would be slow and sluggish, boring in a guests point-of-view. Might aswell get a cool, rare (for this part of the world) feature (or gimmick) in, instead of an average lift hill...

Big Dave

Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:24 pm

Rides dont need big drops to be thrilling. Some of the best coasters in the world have low speeds and shallow drops. Its all about having a decent layout with awesome airtime. Im hoping this ride will deliver.

Matt.C
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:24 am

"leighhills" wrote:
I'd actually love the lift to have a LSM system on it. I've done Maverick, that lift is very exciting. Great fun :)

And they only use vast amounts of power when in use. What a few seconds? The Intamin hydraulic launch uses vast amounts of power constantly. Its quite efficient really. Aslong as theres some sort of on-site power storage unit, there shouldn't be an issue.

It would also help pacing with that extra boost in speed, help the first drop be more exciting. Give a 'wow' factor straight away, no pissing about. I don't think a normal chain/cable lift is a good idea for a drop so small and shallow. If the train is of any length then the front end will be half way down the drop before any acceleration kicks in. It would be slow and sluggish, boring in a guests point-of-view. Might aswell get a cool, rare (for this part of the world) feature (or gimmick) in, instead of an average lift hill...

Yeah but if it had say 3 trains that'd be 5 seconds 3 times every say 1 and 1/2 minutes. All the way through the day it'd add up.

furie
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:32 pm

"Matt.C" wrote:
Yeah but if it had say 3 trains that'd be 5 seconds 3 times every say 1 and 1/2 minutes. All the way through the day it'd add up.

Somebody somewhere did the calculations.

Apparently power consumption per launch is slightly more efficient using LIM/LSM than using hydraulics. The reason for Hydraulics is that the launch has much more punch for a lower price point.

In this case, power consumption wise, there's no reason not to have a LIM launch.

Personally, I think a lift - but I have no evidence to back that up other than the fact the rest of the ride's "secret feature" will be a big chunk of the cost of the ride - an additional cost with a launched hill seems to be a bit over the top.
If you\'ve got a problem, stuff a worm in it!
Come and Visit the Family_Furie family review site here

riderita
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:05 pm

TT Team Edit added for clarification. The below is fan created concept art

More SW6 related goodness...

This will be the last for a while now... :D

FallenAngel
TT Member
TT Member