UK theme parks from another point of view!

Blaze

Re: SW6 / Thirteen - Viral Marketing/Promotional Discussion

Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:19 pm

[url=http://www.altontowers.com/2010" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]www.altontowers.com/2010[/url]

There is a whole mini-site for it.

buffaloBen
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:30 pm

Ive visited that site more than ive eat meat pies :)

Yh i just meant more of wider marketing but there's time!

Fingers crossed for half-term though [-o<

Just hope the TV adverts don't disappoint

Nightfall
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:10 pm

"buffaloBen" wrote:
if your trying to attract thrill seekers and they looked at thorpe's and alton's im sure they would choose thorpe to go to.

Is this Thorpe parks new website you’re talking about? I’m not sure it’s aimed at Thrill seekers. I know which website has a wider age appeal and that’s what Alton want. SW6 may be the big new ride but the park wants to advertise more than just a ride.

Although a few creeping trees around the pipes would make it look good.
ImageImage

buffaloBen
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:37 pm

Im just not one for the whole website myself, its not awful but its not brilliant. I just think the general design of it just looks like its aimed at 1 to 8 year olds just mainly because of the whole color scheme is a bit in your face for the older audience they just need to balance it out thats all. Both Alton and Thorpe have been claiming them selves as the most thrilling theme park in the uk and thats not possible realy with Alton's current maketing for there new ride.

I would like more of a website like 'universal orlando resort'.
It has that perfect balance between thrill, family and the whole resort side. During the closing months to opening new attractions they really do push the theming at the at the parks.
[url=http://www.universalorlando.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]http://www.universalorlando.com[/url]

fredward

Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:27 pm

"buffaloBen" wrote:
"Worst marketing ever"

They must be low on marketing budget if all they are doing is placing crappy story's in the paper every week. The build up to saw had actual videos online! A full proper promotional site! ect.

did you know it cost's theme parks, £1000000 to host a video on YouTube they simply can't afford it!

it probally cost's exactly the same to post these articles, yes it's a bit silly posting articles in news papers,

but you can't say this is worse marketting and low budget then compare against saw's high budget YouTube masterpieces...

buffaloBen
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:54 pm

"fredward"&quot;][quote=&quot;"buffaloBen" wrote:
"Worst marketing ever"

They must be low on marketing budget if all they are doing is placing crappy story's in the paper every week. The build up to saw had actual videos online! A full proper promotional site! ect.

did you know it cost's theme parks, £1000000 to host a video on YouTube they simply can't afford it!

it probally cost's exactly the same to post these articles, yes it's a bit silly posting articles in news papers,

but you can't say this is worse marketting and low budget then compare against saw's high budget YouTube masterpieces...[/quote]

Im not saying your a liar but £100,000 could provide early morning/late evening adverts on itv for a week. But thorpe did nothing else than start there own youtube channel and upload normal free videos like any other person would. I asked my uncle who works at universal orlando and even though there park is a lot more globally known he said everyone has there right to upload videos for free because your not literally interrupting someone's entertainment to advertise. Hey for £100,000 you could start your own website for that.
Anyway before i go crazy with typing i think ill forget the 'village hall pantomime' type of advertisement in the paper and hope for a vast improvement over February half term and building up to the opening day.

NF2
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:16 pm

£1,000,000? I've no idea where you got that figure from, but it surely can't be very expensive at all considering Thorpe's efforts, and the fact Channel 4 seem to have the entire back catalogue of their shows up there! I like not having too many updates reallly. Saw's updated appealed to the theme of the ride and it target audience, however Thi3teen doesn't really have the same focus as Saw.

A crazed sadist that releases mysterious videos of his tortures - fits the youtube format well. A randome foredt taken over by Wraiths? Doesn't seem like a typical Youtube affair, and even if they could do some viral stuff, I like the secrecy and controlled image release. Keeps it secret which is part of the SW magic 8)

fredward

Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:05 pm

i was being sarcastic! sorry if I wasn't obvious enough!

Mr P

Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:34 pm

Does anybody reckon that Blue Peter will be filming on the ride? Nemesis, air & Oblivion we're all filmed by the show.

aru
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:51 pm

I agree with the comments about the SW6 mini site - it's pretty poor. The press release is also a bit of a joke, but I guess the budget is yet to kick in..

Nightfall
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:57 pm

Good question Mr P.

It depends. They visited Thorpe Park during the opening month of Saw but they seemed to ignore the new coaster and then the film skipped to Rage.

I’m guessing it all depends on how scary they pronounce the ride to be. If the ride is aimed at over 16's then Blue Peter might have trouble justifying it.
ImageImage

Mr P

Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:03 pm

Nemesis was billed as the "Scream Machine" designed to terrify people, and then they got people from my secondary school to go and test with blue peter! (Unfortunately, i was 2 years old at the time so missed out :( ) I do hope we get a Blue Peter test 'cos they alsways get Mr Wardley involved! :D

Blaze

Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:48 pm

Thing is, Thirteen isn't really aimed at the same age group as the average BP viewer.

Then again none of the SWs are, so it is possible...

fredward

Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:31 pm

Since it's a worlds first a report by BP on the ride is very plausible.

AstroDan

Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:39 pm

BP changed their age focus downover sometime ago. Given the marketing banning U16's from riding, it would be a little odd to have the programme cover Thirteen. Then again, it's almost a tradition that BP test the ride first!

:D

Spike
TT Member
TT Member
Location: Curled up in Nemmies claws. Sound asleep and purring like a kitten.

Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:33 pm

I for one can't wait to see what advert they come up with :twisted:
MY HAND IS A DOLPHIN!!! >:O
*Honest Cint!*

AstroDan

Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:23 pm

Hopefully there'll be little teasers (like for Air!) before a main advert is launched!

Once Half Term is out of the way I hope it all really kicks in.

:D

Justtracy
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:31 pm

The Most Haunted Live series on Saturday nights is to run for 8 more weeks, I'd love to see them in The Dark Forest for the last show!

Blaze

Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:27 pm

They have been in the Towers before, havn't they? If they did a mock one but passed it off as real it would be great PR. Wouldn't be hard the program is made up anyway!

TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:47 pm

How far do you think the advertising for the ride go?

Will it be on the same scale of Oblivion and Nemesis with the condoms and cereal boxes and everything?