UK theme parks from another point of view!

wburgess
TT Member
TT Member

Re: SW6 / Thirteen - Viral Marketing/Promotional Discussion

Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:28 pm

So, sometime next week, we could have some real feedback on the ride!

Quite nervous actually, would hate to hear bad things. Fingers crossed eh?

Quite disappointing that AT have gone off the boil with their marketing, it seems counterproductive to slow up on the releases as we get closer to the main date, but it's been good to see this.

Hopefully it will all pick up in March.

Rob L
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:37 pm

"wburgess" wrote:
So, sometime next week, we could have some real feedback on the ride!

Quite nervous actually, would hate to hear bad things. Fingers crossed eh?

Quite disappointing that AT have gone off the boil with their marketing, it seems counterproductive to slow up on the releases as we get closer to the main date, but it's been good to see this.

Hopefully it will all pick up in March.

I wouldn't be at all worried by the recent lack of updates, marketing or whatever you want to call it, as over the next few weeks leading up to opening I'm pretty sure that they will be going all out with marketing. They might not give us anymore photo updates via Flickr now, but adverts on TV and radio, as well as other promotional material should rife during March. Should be rather exciting to see it all!

:)

Chris W
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:12 pm

I was thinking that construction updates have stopped so they do not ruin the surprise too much for opening day/Thirteen weekend.

Things will be starting to come together of site and the anticipation of opening day will be enough to keep us enthusiasts going for a few more weeks.
Its time for Alton to concentrate on the public marketing of Thirteen, this should start to increase shortly and it could start with the advert in this weekends S*n.

And, I'm not expecting much from the Bootcamp in terms of feedback from the riders. I guess there will be a variety of Non-Disclosure Agreements's signed and the only thing we will here is standard marketing stuff. (E.g. "The ride is really terrifying, it really is the world's scariest ride" etc. etc.)

Dean

Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:32 pm

Bit of bad news Bootcamp has been delayed, so i'm not sure what's happening with Th13teen. :?

dasbudd
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:39 pm

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKV7xSMM0c8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKV7xSMM0c8[/url]

Stu
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:01 pm

Love the video! Nice one.

Boot camp is not the parks priority to be fair... it was just some advertising fun.. which will still happen, but the preview weekend and opening of the ride is their priority. If it means the boot camp people go on the ride an hour before preview weekend people do, then the'll do it.

Sir John Talbot
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:02 pm

Jeez, they actually hired snow sculpters just for a few flickr pictures.

Part of me thinks AWESOME, part of me thinks what a waste of money. They that could've gone to the 'theme Air tunnel' or 'repaint Oblivion' fund.

Kaycee

Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:10 pm

"Sir John Talbot" wrote:
Jeez, they actually hired snow sculpters just for a few flickr pictures.

Part of me thinks AWESOME, part of me thinks what a waste of money. They that could've gone to the 'theme Air tunnel' or 'repaint Oblivion' fund.

I think people underestimate how much theming the Air Tunnel and repainting Oblivion would actually cost. Saving the few hundred quid from the snow sculptures would be like trying to rub pennies together to do either of those two things, both of which would run into thousands and thousands of pounds.

The few hundred quid for those sculptures served to make more of the public aware of the new ride under construction for this year, every little helps! :)

Andrewroom
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:23 pm

^^ Yes and it was in a paper, not just Flickr.
Toy Story Land at DLP! Woop!

Blaze

Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:14 pm

This isn't RCT3. Parks don't have one big pot of money. They have departments and budgets. One budget is for marketing. Another is for maintaining rides. Paying for the sculpture has no impact on any money that could be used painting an old attraction. And who knows, they could be doing that as we speak...

But probably not :(

Sir John Talbot
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:19 pm

Indeed Every Little Helps and as such, if the park saved money when such unecessary expenditures occured over the past 10 years, maybe Alton would be one their way to acquiring the funds to do such things as repaint tired looking rides.

MattH

Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:21 pm

quickly back to the wraith thing, have you noticed, the 3 'official' ones actually have email addresses that are made for them, has anyone actually tryed emailing them directly for answers, im curious now :P

now we can get back to what was being talked about before i butted in 8)

tweek68
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:00 pm

What are the odds of some kind of date tommorow. I have a funny feeling that the tv ad campaign will start in the middle of corronation street as the date is 1.3.10.

spinwhizzer
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:08 pm

"tweek68" wrote:
What are the odds of some kind of date tommorow. I have a funny feeling that the tv ad campaign will start in the middle of corronation street as the date is 1.3.10.

It too early, plus no one is going to make the connection between 13 and the first of March.

Benedique
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:13 pm

It was my understanding that they were using footage from the first riders for the TV advert, They aren't riding until (I'm not entirely sure on the date) but around the 3rd/4th of March so the 1st would be slightly early

Dagan
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:48 pm

"Dominique" wrote:
It was my understanding that they were using footage from the first riders for the TV advert, They aren't riding until (I'm not entirely sure on the date) but around the 3rd/4th of March so the 1st would be slightly early

I wouldn't want Mr Guns in the advert.

More likely they'll be making the adverts like the Oblivion and Air ones and do it all off site with a bit of CGI magic.

Much easier to film professional actors in a controlled studio environment than it would be to get the bootcamp crew to all look scared.

Javs
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:05 pm

Just seen an Alton Towers advert on TV for 2 free tickets with the Sun. No sign of Th13teen though. :(

moog666
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:22 pm

Think they may use some of the first rider footage in a similar way to how they promote scary movies. A grainy low lite shot showing ppl reacting to a scare.

Then just drop it in with the Uber profesional ad they have prob already made

If you must make jokes about Steve Jobs, Try to keep them PC.

Dormiens-Dave

Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:05 pm

They may be editing in some of the first rider footage for long shots of the ride in action as they will not have had the opportunity to film that. I imagine the advert close ups were done in a studio a bit like Oblivion and Airs where, i imagine that the poster and website graphics with the girl screaming may come from the advert.

Blaze

Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:15 pm

I saw the S*n advert last night, no mention of Thirteen, but when Alton start their own adverts, it will probably feature heavily in the general advert as well as it's own advert.

I expect most of the advert will already be made, and all they have to do is edit in the bootcamp people.