UK theme parks from another point of view!

seanyboyuk
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Which SW Coaster Had/Has The Most Excitement?

Mon May 04, 2009 9:23 pm

Not seen this topic on here yet so might as well start it!

I must say sw6 or nemesis have been the most exciting and most important to the park
for me.

Nemesis was the 1st turning point in the park bringing a huge following of hype and excitement as at the time it was like nothing else in the uk had been seen. It also did get me nervous the first few times of riding it. It just looked awsome walking upto it for the 1st time.

Sw6 will be the second as being involved with the online community theres obviously lots of speculation what it might be like and i think this ride will be awsome too in its own ways and also think it will be another turning point in the park as making the park look like a world contender for being one of the best themed parks around and rides with excitement.

davidaiow
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Which SW Coaster Had/Has The Most Excitement?

Mon May 04, 2009 10:21 pm

Disagree. SW4 was definately the most influential. World first! Vertical Drop. Much more intimidating. Other parks have verticle drops as standard. Nemisis is good with the themeing and contouring, but I as much as I love the insane thrill, I wouldn't say it trumps Oblivion.

Khanage
TT Member
TT Member

Mon May 04, 2009 11:24 pm

It will be this one for me. I have always enjoyed theme parks but it is only the last 3 years or so that I have been really into them so SW6 is the most exciting for me.

When Nemesis was being built I don't think I even knew that Alton Towers existed - the only park I had ever been to back then was Pleasurewood Hills! :D
Thanks to Adzy for the sig & av.

Carla
TT Member
TT Member

Tue May 05, 2009 12:22 am

Well, it's hard to say. The way this is going right now, I'm likely to get -very- excited about SW6. This is due to the whole internet lark that's been going on.

I did however go mad for Oblivion, those adverts were so powerful! And the whole concept of the ride was just amazing. I both loved and hated it, because I was so terrified of it and yet I knew when we went back to the Towers I'd have to ride the damn thing.

But anyway, I was really only following it from the edge. I witnessed no build up to that SW was going to be. I'm delving into the speculation before the ride much more this time by following the forums, so it's' shaping up to be very exciting indeed!
One Hell of a Dark Ride Enthusiast

CJH
TT Member
TT Member

Tue May 05, 2009 1:26 am

Oblivions marketing campaign was amazing, the whole hype around the construction area etc. Seeing the huge hole dug etc.

SW4 was amazing.
I was very young when SW3 was launched but from what I remember the hype wasn't amazing around it. Nothing like the scale of SW4.

I was 4 at the time of SW3.
Chris 21 Manchester

Tommy
TT Member
TT Member

Tue May 05, 2009 10:00 am

SW4 is tops for me, there was mystery surrounding it but it was good mystery rather than just blatant confusion. I may have only been young but I can still remember the whole advertising campaign etc. and it intimidating the painted wooden duck out of me. Had to be the most exciting in my opinion :)

Dormiens-Dave

Tue May 05, 2009 1:44 pm

SW3 (Nemesis) had a lot of hype, big marketing campaign with cherry cola and it certainly made took the thunder from pleasure beach and the big one.

SW4 (oblivion) was designed for hype, they set the scene with the pre-season speculation and i suppose the internet first came into play. And the 2008 season was probably the peak for the tussauds era of the park.

SW5 (air) major hype due to the internet message boards really taking off, but we did know alot about the ride a long time before it was built, and i suppose there was a bit of theme disappointment on opening day.

SW6 god knows. its certainly taking a lot of interest at the mo.

Kaycee

Tue May 05, 2009 4:26 pm

Personally I think SW4, just because of how much Alton played up to it, with the big fence in 1997 and a guard patrolling it! Is it 'The Magic Factory' where it shows Andy Hine reading letters he's received begging for information on it - but even he didn't know? The secrecy surrounding SW4 was incredible. :D

Pennywise
TT Member
TT Member

Tue May 05, 2009 9:05 pm

"Kaycee" wrote:
Personally I think SW4, just because of how much Alton played up to it, with the big fence in 1997 and a guard patrolling it! Is it 'The Magic Factory' where it shows Andy Hine reading letters he's received begging for information on it - but even he didn't know? The secrecy surrounding SW4 was incredible. :D

Yeah, it was the Magic Factory. :)

James
TT Member
TT Member

Tue May 05, 2009 9:15 pm

Oblivion (SW4) - I personally was never an enthusiast at the time SW4 was built although I do love the marketing they used for Oblivion, the secrecy surrounding it was amazing. I loved all the detail and the fence surrounding the construction site. People knew something big was happening but didn't have a clue what it was going to be, Magical!

:D

CoasterCrazyChris
TT Member
TT Member

Wed May 06, 2009 8:23 pm

Defo SW4!
Oblivion was immense and nothing the park had done before or after ever rivalled it!
The weapon may be a one trick pony but by god first time riders beware! I had never been so scared in my entire life on a coaster than climbing Blivvys lift hill for the first time at age 11....
:)

JakFrontier
TT Member
TT Member

Wed May 06, 2009 9:17 pm

"seanyboyuk" wrote:

I must say sw6 or nemesis have been the most exciting and most important to the park
for me.

Hmm, yes. SW6 could be the worst thing that Alton have ever done (except for battle galleons and CATCF), how do you know.

CoasterCrazyChris
TT Member
TT Member

Fri May 08, 2009 5:32 pm

"JakFrontier""][quote=""seanyboyuk" wrote:

for me.

Hmm, yes. SW6 could be the worst thing that Alton have ever done (except for battle galleons and CATCF), how do you know.[/quote]

I second that!

James
TT Member
TT Member

Fri May 08, 2009 6:52 pm

I don't see why SW6 has to come into this, it hasn't even been built yet.

:roll: