UK theme parks from another point of view!

MintAlton
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Smoking at Alton Towers

Mon May 11, 2009 9:15 pm

In recent visits since the smoking ban in 2007 i've noticed there are lot of people who still smoke around the park.

Do these people get a warning?

Wes
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Smoking at Alton Towers

Mon May 11, 2009 9:26 pm

James Paulding personally slaps their wrists.

Jon
TT Member
TT Member

Mon May 11, 2009 10:04 pm

Yes, there is a park-wide smoking ban apart from in designated smoking areas. However, not many guests either stick to the rules or aren't aware that the rules exist due to poor enforcement. At least the park is of a fairly open nature so it doesn't bother people as much as a cramped park would. It grates me mostly when it's in queuelines. Yes it makes the queue a little better for the smoker, but it makes it much much worse for people like me who can't stand the smoke.
Formerly "Dagoo"

Invie
TT Member
TT Member

Tue May 12, 2009 12:49 am

Whilst I blatantly ignore the designated smoking areas - which are, from what i've seen, about 3 benches - I take care to not to smoke near or in any queuelines or near the food stalls and stuff. thats just gross.
:[ !

Chris W
TT Member
TT Member

Tue May 12, 2009 11:59 am

I don't really have an issue with people having a smoke whilst they walk around the park.

Queueline smoking is terrible in my opinion, it just shows a total lack of courtesy, especially as a lot of queuelines can be very cramped.

AngelaB1983
TT Member
TT Member

Tue May 12, 2009 2:52 pm

i was at AT in october last year for the 1st time in 10 years, and i smoked in the designated smoking areas, but lots of other people were just walking around smoking. i guess it isn't too much of a big deal if it isn't busy and they aren't near food stalls etc, but i totally agree with no smoking in the queue line, its just bad manners.

Mattmash
TT Member
TT Member

Tue May 12, 2009 3:45 pm

Have to admit I didn't even know of the no smoking policy until I went on opening day this year with TTF. On my visits last year I walked around the park smoking and nothing was said, despite doing it in front of numerous staff members. If they had said something I would have said fair enough and put it out, so I guess it isn't strongly enforced.

However, queue lines are a different story. They are clearly labelled as no smoking and I wouldn't do it anyway as it's just plain rude, same as near food stalls and where there are people eating.

Having said that I still smoke around the park now, as long as it's not in a busy area. For example if we're stood around waiting I'll go off to the side somewhere where it's quiet and have a quick chuff. Need to give up though tbh, costs a fortune!

James6
TT Member
TT Member

Tue May 12, 2009 3:47 pm

I agree, To be honest it's not bad at Alton Towers because how open it is, but in quelines it is horrible , personally smoke gives me a headache for the rest of the day, makes me feel lightheaded and in general is enough to ruin a day out for me.
If you go down to the Towers today, you\'d better ride Th13teen. :P

DiogoJ42

Tue May 12, 2009 5:55 pm

As far as I'm concered, The law states that smoking INSIDE is Illegal, anywhere else is techicaly fair game.
Having said that, I won't smoke in a Q* or near food.

*except that time I was stuck in a 4&1/2 hour Q for Nemy taring my hair out.

James
TT Member
TT Member

Tue May 12, 2009 7:55 pm

Yeah, it's illegal to smoke indoors, places like Alton can put rules down for not smoking around park although there's no legal action against you smoking freely.

I'm fine with people smoking on park really, with almost the whole of my family being smokers and just plain druggies I've got used to the smell. I don't think they should smoke in Queues. Thing is Alton is such a big place there's always somewhere to go and have a fag without annoying anyone else.

One thing that I don't like is people smoking around babies.

Higgy74
TT Member
TT Member

Tue May 12, 2009 8:09 pm

When i went last week there were loads of smokers, now i hate smoking and can't stand the smell but i understand that people want to do it so have got no problem with people doing it around the park although seeing so many ciggy buts on the floor is awful.
There were also loads of people doing it in the queue though, thats just wrong IMO and the staff should do something about it.
WWFC:- Championship Winners 2009

rightbackgranty
TT Member
TT Member

Tue May 12, 2009 10:39 pm

The "No Smoking Policy" at Alton Towers is very poorly enforced. There is very little information around the park to remind you that it is a no smoking area - only the "designated" smoking areas give any hint towards a parkwide ban.

Ive never been too bothered about smokers on the park, after all, it is a wide open space, not a busy city centre (although areas can get like that on peak days!) Only time I dont agree with smoking is in the queueline - its not fair on the other guests when you're in such close proximity.

ryansstuff
TT Member
TT Member

Wed May 13, 2009 8:22 am

Well i don't smoke, and don't mind when there walking around but NO to queue lines and if they are going to walk around and smoke at least have the decency to put the end in a bin it terrible the park covered in them. Out in America they have shown how it should be why can't the park in this country enforce as well.

It would not surprise me if due to the amount of buds left around the place if it weren't banned completely and i would be happy with that.
Free flash games website: http://rybofun.com/
Roller Coaster mad: http://www.rollercoastermad.com

Islander
TT Member
TT Member

Wed May 13, 2009 10:16 am

"Jlton" wrote:
Yeah, it's illegal to smoke indoors, places like Alton can put rules down for not smoking around park although there's no legal action against you smoking freely.

Surely the fact that it's private property has some relevance here... I mean, at it's most extreme, they reserve the right to chuck you out of the park, at which point if you remain on the park I would have thought* you'd be trespassing...

* - I honestly don't have a clue about this subject, but this seems logical to me - I'm just hypothesising :)

DiogoJ42

Sun May 17, 2009 7:16 pm

The solution to butts on the floor is simple... get those bins with ashtrays on the side. I'll happily use one if I see one.

Islander
TT Member
TT Member

Sun May 17, 2009 7:49 pm

"Diogoj42" wrote:
The solution to butts on the floor is simple... get those bins with ashtrays on the side. I'll happily use one if I see one.

Doing that, however, would encourage smoking, which is the exact opposite of what they want to do...

DiogoJ42

Sun May 17, 2009 7:50 pm

yeah, my work did that when the 'ban' came in. They used to have bins with ashtrays, but got rid of them when they tried to claim that smoking was now Illegal everywhere!

Crofty

Sun May 17, 2009 8:17 pm

They can't manage the bins they have already!
The new smoking restrictions are obviously working as every smoking bin is overflowing with ciggy butts. They need new decent sized bins.
The smoking areas seem to be well used, especially the one in Katanga, some of the others are pretty pointless.
I think the key here is that a little co-operation is better than none at all. 8)

I think the outside seating area in the Tavern should be a smoking area, on the flume side. :)

:D :D

ATR09
TT Member
TT Member

Mon May 18, 2009 1:39 pm

All staff are asked across the resort to enforce this rule. And I for one think that it is a brilliant idea. There is nothing worse than some ignorant smoker blowing smoke in your face while your trying to have a good day out.

If smokers weren't so ignorant and selfish to everyone else, they wouldn't need smoking areas.

So I don't care how much I offend you smokers, your habit is disgusting and you should be kept to designated areas. No one else wants to smell the toxins you are inhaling.

In cases where people completely ignor the rules. They will be asked to leave the resort. :)

furie
TT Member
TT Member

Mon May 18, 2009 1:46 pm

"ATR09" wrote:
In cases where people completely ignor the rules. They will be asked to leave the resort. :)

Oddly, yesterday several of our group were smoking in non designated areas (I don't condone it, but it's not my rule, so should be up to the staff to enforce) and members of staff walked past regularly without saying a word.

Heading to Splash Landings then afterwards, and people were smoking in the doorway of the hotel (not the smoking area, but actually right in the door way).

Again, staff passed them and didn't say anything.

Nobody was asked to leave - un-policed, it is utterly ineffective and it is un-policed.
If you\'ve got a problem, stuff a worm in it!
Come and Visit the Family_Furie family review site here