UK theme parks from another point of view!

 
User avatar
ATR09
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 157
Joined: February 2009

Re: Smoking at Alton Towers

Mon May 18, 2009 1:52 pm

Like I say. All staff are asked to enforce it. But most don't.

Only in extreme circumstances, people would be asked to leave the resort. And I know of occasions where it has happened.
 
DiogoJ42

Re: Smoking at Alton Towers

Mon May 18, 2009 2:31 pm

"ATR09" wrote:
Like I say. All staff are asked to enforce it. But most don't.

That's because they know it's an un-inforceable, draconian rule. :D
 
User avatar
ATR09
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 157
Joined: February 2009

Re: Smoking at Alton Towers

Mon May 18, 2009 2:53 pm

No, it is enforceable. If AT wanted to kick everyone out who broke the rules, they very easily could. They just don't because of how much bad press it would generate.

Disney World for example have a very similar No Smoking Policy that is enforced very strictly. Alton Towers just need to step the game up slightly and get the balance right.
 
Islander
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 2339
Joined: March 2009
Location: Space Station Mir
Contact:

Re: Smoking at Alton Towers

Mon May 18, 2009 3:25 pm

"Diogoj42""][quote=""ATR09" wrote:
Like I say. All staff are asked to enforce it. But most don't.

That's because they know it's an un-inforceable, draconian rule. :D[/quote]
Ahh, so it's draconian to stop people harming the health of others. Interesting...
 
User avatar
furie
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 1068
Joined: October 2007
Location: Stafford
Contact:

Re: Smoking at Alton Towers

Mon May 18, 2009 4:19 pm

Yes, if it's something that is generally legal.

If it's really harmful, then the government should ban it 100%, or Alton should ban it 100%.

I don't agree with half-hearted efforts. If smoking kills and is harmful, then it should be outright banned. Otherwise, don't make these stupid efforts that don't stop people smoking and makes them outcasts (a total ban would also do this and be impossible, but at least somebody would be making a strong stand against it and openly acknowledging the danger).
If you\'ve got a problem, stuff a worm in it!
Image
Image
Come and Visit the Family_Furie family review site here
 
User avatar
stokywolf
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 1945
Joined: January 2004
Location: Liverpool
Contact:

Re: Smoking at Alton Towers

Mon May 18, 2009 6:10 pm

"ATR09" wrote:
Like I say. All staff are asked to enforce it. But most don't.

Only in extreme circumstances, people would be asked to leave the resort. And I know of occasions where it has happened.


This might be the case at the hotels, where people can be told where that certain smoking area is. But on the park, they are very poorly labelled (except for the air one) and staff have tried to tell guest about the areas but by the time they have told them where the area is they would have finished anyways. There have also been cases where the same staff member has had to tell the same set of guests 3 - 4 times throughout the day, (and thats all they are able to do by the looks of it). What more can a staff member do? That is why guests just smoke where they want to.

And there is no excuse for ignorantly dropping dog ends on the floor, simply stub it out on the bin or knock the bacca out and then bin it.
Tavern hall of famer - rockerz my sockerz
 
User avatar
Vik
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 3114
Joined: January 2004
Location: Ellesmere Port
Contact:

Re: Smoking at Alton Towers

Mon May 18, 2009 7:45 pm

Enforcing the smoking policy is one thing that Legoland get right. The entire park is non smoking, and it is strictly enforced, from what I have seen anyway. Alton Towers could learn a thing or two from them.

I'm not particulary bothered by anyone smoking around the park, though despise it in queuelines. But I don't see the point in having designated smoking areas, which are supposed to be the only places you are allowed to smoke, and then completely fail to enforce the rules.

Also, while smoking is still a legal activity, except for indoor public areas of course, Alton Towers, or any other company or fully entitled to include their own terms and conditions which restricts things further. When anyone enters the park, by doing so, they agree to these T&C's, so they shouldn't be surprised if the no smoking policy is enforced upon them. Though there seems to be very little chance of that happening.
Sent from my ZX81 via Time Travel

Image
 
User avatar
Invie
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 404
Joined: April 2009
Location: Manchestahhh

Re: Smoking at Alton Towers

Tue May 19, 2009 1:52 pm

"ATR09" wrote:
All staff are asked across the resort to enforce this rule. And I for one think that it is a brilliant idea. There is nothing worse than some ignorant smoker blowing smoke in your face while your trying to have a good day out.

If smokers weren't so ignorant and selfish to everyone else, they wouldn't need smoking areas.

So I don't care how much I offend you smokers, your habit is disgusting and you should be kept to designated areas. No one else wants to smell the toxins you are inhaling.

In cases where people completely ignor the rules. They will be asked to leave the resort. :)


I think it's very wrong of you to class all of us smokers as one big group. And I think, generally, you should ALWAYS care about how much you offend someone. Of course the habit is disgusting, but it's harder to give up than you think, so it's a bloody good thing that YOU aren't the one smoking, isn't it?

My family and I have never used to the designated smoking area, and shame on us for not doing so, but we don't deliberately walk around the area "blowing smoke in your face." Infact, we always take care to make sure we blow the smoke in the opposite direction to other people to stop this from happening, as I personally understand it is not a pleasant thing to have happen.

Stop calling smokers rude and ignorant, as surely, I think you're the rude and ignorant one.

I have never smoked in a queueline and always take care to put the cigarette end out ontop of the bin till it's not lit then chuck it IN the bin to prevent litter. I think you should take care to re-word your statement better.
Image
 
User avatar
ATR09
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 157
Joined: February 2009

Re: Smoking at Alton Towers

Tue May 19, 2009 4:39 pm

It's fine to keep bitching about it all. Your the one with the dirty habit, not me!

And as I said, the smoking areas are there because of the behavior of smokers in the past! This is fact.

If ALL smokers were considerate then they wouldn't need smoking areas!

And if I offended you, frankly, I couldn't care less. Just quit!

Your the one killing yourself, I'm fine. I just don't want dirty smoke blown into me while I'm enjoying my day. I don't want cancer thank you very much.

So stop acting like your being victimized and accept it. Follow the rules. Smoke in your little dirty designated corners and stick to them! :)
 
User avatar
Invie
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 404
Joined: April 2009
Location: Manchestahhh

Re: Smoking at Alton Towers

Tue May 19, 2009 4:48 pm

"ATR09" wrote:
It's fine to keep bitching about it all. Your the one with the dirty habit, not me!

And as I said, the smoking areas are there because of the behavior of smokers in the past! This is fact.

If ALL smokers were considerate then they wouldn't need smoking areas!

And if I offended you, frankly, I couldn't care less. Just quit!

Your the one killing yourself, I'm fine. I just don't want dirty smoke blown into me while I'm enjoying my day. I don't want cancer thank you very much.

So stop acting like your being victimized and accept it. Follow the rules. Smoke in your little dirty designated corners and stick to them! :)


May I remind you that smoking is an addiction, not necessarily a choice? May I also remind you can get cancer from anything, not just smoking?

I refuse to be called "dirty" and i'm far from it. I think, simply, your outlook is brash, and rude. I am not acting like I've been "victimized", I am telling you that you are being ridiculous. Good on you for not smoking, but thats your decision.

Whilst I agree that some smokers are not considerate, it's very unfair for you to - excuse the pun - tar us all with the same brush. Which is exactly what you're doing.

Grow up a little. I don't understand why you can't make a valid point without being rude about it.
Image
 
User avatar
ATR09
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 157
Joined: February 2009

Re: Smoking at Alton Towers

Tue May 19, 2009 4:53 pm

"Invie" wrote:
May I remind you that smoking is an addiction, not necessarily a choice? May I also remind you can get cancer from anything, not just smoking?
.


You choose to start smoking, therefore it is a choice.

You have the choice to stop at any point, you just choose not to. That is a choice. Addiction or not, it's still a choice if you decide to start.

But that's against the point.

And smoking is one of if not the main cause of lung cancer. 90% of people to be exact are killed by lung cancer from smoking. And that includes passive smoking.

So pardon me for not wanting to inhail dirty tar smoke.
 
User avatar
Invie
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 404
Joined: April 2009
Location: Manchestahhh

Re: Smoking at Alton Towers

Tue May 19, 2009 4:55 pm

Methinks that one does not understand, fully, the word "addiction".

If I felt I could give up with ease, I would have done by now.

I'm still awaiting your reply to the rest of that post, thank you.

never mind, you did.

At the end of the day, I still don't understand why you had to use rudeness to get your point across. I'm going to assume I'm probably not the only "dirty smoker" you have offended.
Image
 
User avatar
ATR09
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 157
Joined: February 2009

Re: Smoking at Alton Towers

Tue May 19, 2009 4:56 pm

Let me guess, you haven't actually tried to quit, you just assume you wouldn't be able to...? So just haven't bothered to try? Correct?

That is you not choosing to quit. Just like it was your choice to start in the first place.

So don't try that one. Playing the sob story crap.
 
User avatar
Invie
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 404
Joined: April 2009
Location: Manchestahhh

Re: Smoking at Alton Towers

Tue May 19, 2009 4:59 pm

Excuse me? Oh, thats right. Pityyyy meee, for I have not once, since I realised my addiction to smoking, ever tried to quit! Quick, everyone, get me some tissues and listen to me cry! :cry:

Er, no.

You do not know me, so, I suggest you be the one to start cutting out the crap, thank you very much. I have tried plenty of times to give up, and have come back due to stress. I think you should attempt to learn some manners.
Image
 
User avatar
ATR09
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 157
Joined: February 2009

Re: Smoking at Alton Towers

Tue May 19, 2009 5:05 pm

Yeah, ok, whatever you say.

Just keep to the designated smoking areas, ok? :)
 
User avatar
Invie
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 404
Joined: April 2009
Location: Manchestahhh

Re: Smoking at Alton Towers

Tue May 19, 2009 5:11 pm

I have seen only two designated smoking areas, which is why I never use them. I, personally, will continue to do what I'm doing bearing in mind of other people and small children without blowing smoke in their faces (Which I MUST do already, because, you know, i'm a dirty smoker! :roll: ), without smoking in queuelines or near the food stalls, and make sure to put it out in the bin.

In the meantime, again, I insist that you, in return, learn some manners. I mean how old are you, 14/15 at the most? again, how is it that other people can discuss this without being rude and you cannot?
Image
 
User avatar
James
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 3188
Joined: January 2009
Location: Newport, Wales
Contact:

Re: Smoking at Alton Towers

Tue May 19, 2009 5:36 pm

I personally think that the smoking areas are a waste, it's like smokers are a different kind of species and we have to keep them in a area away from us and alienate them. I hardly see anyone using the areas, only the Katanga Caynon and Air Shelter I've ever seen smokers in. Yes smoking kills and blah blah blah. But at the end of the day it is an addiction, like chocolate shall we say, once you've tried it/had it your completly addicted to it and can't get away from it. It's hard to give up smoking, it took my dad 4 years to give up completly but that's another story...

I see it as if people want to smoke let them, it's got nothing to do with us 'non-smokers', it's there life and if there happy with smoking then that's fine by me.

I just think if staff see a smoker blowing the smoke in other guests faces, or smoking in a queueline then they should be dealt with. I'm not keen with smokers being around me but I just get used to it. Seeing some of the staff at the moment, they don't care about the smoking area rule anyway.

As long as the smoker isn't causing any harm, them it's fine.


"ATR09" wrote:
Smoke in your little dirty designated corners and stick to them!

Your refering smokers as 'dirty', by no means are they dirty just because they smoke. So because a person has a fag there dirty? In that case I must be dirty as I used to smoke, yes I know I'm only 16, also my whole family must be dirty as all of them have smoked at one point. By no means is a smoker dirty and why make remarks like that as you don't even know people, smokers could be cleaner than you quite frankley.

Smoking is not only a choice, everything in your life is a choice. As Invie said it's not only fags you can get cancer from and you pratically risk your life everyday. People make choices all the time beside smoking.

"ATR09" wrote:
And if I offended you, frankly, I couldn't care less. Just quit!

Why are you telling Invie to quit. You don't know her and it's her life, it's a free country, she can do what she likes. If she wants to smoke let her.

This little rant has been brewing up for a while anyway, you just set it off ATR09 well done.
 
Chris W
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 3328
Joined: July 2007
Location: Liverpool

Re: Smoking at Alton Towers

Tue May 19, 2009 5:43 pm

There is nothing wrong with smoking in the majority of the Theme Park.

I can understand the loosely enforced ban, due to the family image, but it doesn't bother anyone if someone has a smoke whilst walking down Towers Street (for example).

Alton Towers is outdoors, the smoke will just blow away after a few seconds.

All the smokers I know do not deliberately blow the smoke into people's faces, I believe that the vast majority of smokers are the same.

I bet if you ask every non-smoker on the forum the vast, vast majority will only have a problem with smoking in queuelines. The majority would be fine with smoking in the rest of the park.
Image
Image
 
DiogoJ42

Re: Smoking at Alton Towers

Tue May 19, 2009 5:44 pm

Since when is it acceptable to insult or bully someone because of their 'lifestyle choice'? To bully and throw insults at smokers just because you happen to disagree with their hobby is no different to attacking someone on the street for being a 'goth'.

And did it ever occur to you that some people actually enjoy smoking? I'll bet you're the sort who plays music from your phone out load on the bus. I find that offensive, but you don't see me telling people they are 'filthy' for that.

Have you ever tried smoking? To quote Bill Hicks:
"It's a shame it's that second hand smoke that smells so bad, 'cos the stuff we're sucking in tastes great!"
 
User avatar
Invie
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 404
Joined: April 2009
Location: Manchestahhh

Re: Smoking at Alton Towers

Tue May 19, 2009 6:54 pm

And this is why I love open-minded people, be they smokers or not! :D/
Image

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 270 guests