UK theme parks from another point of view!

stigzy
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Barbed Wire!

Tue May 26, 2009 1:32 am

Did you know, it’s illegal? Well, not quite. But to my vast knowledge, barbed wire is for the intended use for farm and general agricultural use. It is not intended for prohibiting access to property by those with criminal intent. Whilst barbed wire does seem to do the trick and is a good disincentive for would be intruders – it isn't a good idea to use it for anything other than it’s intended use. The reason why? Because when used a deterrant, essentially it becomes a man trap, and UK law does not allow for man traps. Should a person sustain a laceration, scratch or even an item of clothing damaged as a result of barbed wire, the said person could sue whomever erected/placed the barbed wire and would be almost sure to win the case.

I say this, because of a recent deep cut to my ankle and because I disagree with the state of the perimeter fence surrounding the Alton Towers theme park. I love being outdoors & exploring and just the other day one of my many spontaneous expeditions (which is usually up in the peak district) took me down the public footpath which runs almost parallel to Alton Towers’ perimeter fence. The fence itself is pretty pathetic to say the least – it’s tie wrapped up all over the place and is caked in barbed wire.

I understand Alton Towers must have a huge problem with people gaining free entry to the park and they need to be pro-active to prevent it. But having an eyesore for a fence in such a nice area, with dangerous barbed wire hanging all over the place including in some area’s the wooded area/public footpath is the wrong sort of pro-activeness! As such as I was walking along minding my own business, a piece of Alton’s ‘pro-active’ barbed wire managed to scrape and put a nice gash to my ankle! I’m not the picky sort, so just got on with it and carried on, but I think Alton Towers really need to pull their socks up on this one. I expect better, and better knowledge of preventative measures from such a multi million pound company.

A slight mention has to go out for the wildlife also, whilst walking along and my heart continuing to pump my blood out all over my good trainers, I noticed a dead pheasant entangled within the barbed the wire. I wonder what else has met it’s death, with essentially an animal trap?

So since well Alton Towers’ only method of being pro-active is by laying down some deadly barbed wire, I thought I’d make a thread of it to bring it to the table and to ask what the alternative preventive measures can be? Mine is the obvious - Perhaps they wouldn’t have a problem with people trying to gain entry if their ticket price wasn’t so high?!

Big Dave

Re: Barbed Wire!

Tue May 26, 2009 1:34 am

razor wire is what they use and they can use it as long as its clearly marked and maintained

adsyrah
TT Member
TT Member

Tue May 26, 2009 1:45 am

Stigz - I felt bad for you and your ankle until I clicked on the link in your signature.

stigzy
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Tue May 26, 2009 1:58 am

"Big Dave" wrote:
razor wire is what they use and they can use it as long as its clearly marked and maintained

I've just been reading up on this actually, it seems a bit of a grey area. Everything seems to state that barbed wire, razor wire, broken glass, carpet grippers etc. Are all perfectly legal, as long as what you said Dave, it's clearly marked with signage and is not placed maliciously. A few things then, I went within a meter or so of the fence in the wooded area when my ankle got sliced and nearly diced. And there is no signage!

A few other good measures can be natural. Hawthorns, Rose bushes... Good natural deterrents and they look much better than barbed wire.

"adsyrah" wrote:
Stigz - I felt bad for you and your ankle until I clicked on the link in your signature.

Sorry :ashamed:

DiogoJ42

Tue May 26, 2009 4:08 am

"adsyrah" wrote:

#-o Goddamn, I'm stupid. ](*,)

The thing to remember about barbed wire is that it was designed to get caught round an enemy's legs, causing maximim blood and pain!

I'm actually suprised it's still legal on farms... animal cruelty, anyone?

Crofty

Tue May 26, 2009 5:29 am

"Diogoj42""][quote=""adsyrah" wrote:

#-o Goddamn, I'm stupid. ](*,)
[/quote]

LMAO I'm stupid too! :P

Sounds like this fence is a real monster, I think it would help any discussions if there were some pictures of the fence, from stigzys description is almost sounds like they've just dumped a heap of barbed wire along the perimeter.

[Archive]

Tue May 26, 2009 10:24 am

Sticky Stigzy's sticky signature link stuck me in the stickiest situation since Sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun.

But I'm quite intersted in the 'Alton Towers border'. I might go see it myself because it sounds eerie. I like eerie things.

James
TT Member
TT Member

Tue May 26, 2009 11:30 am

Haha, I clicked on the link aswell #-o :lol: .

The fence doesn't sound very good, you'd think they have something really good around the UK's best Theme Park. Does sound like the barbed wire has just be dumped around the park. It seems more of a death trap for animals and even humans. I think what they sould do is create a more 'not deathly' fence around the site, make sure that no one can get into the park but also making sure you won't kill them at the same time. The ticket prices could also be lowered down a bit but people shouldn't be breaking into the park in the first place. Obviously in your case stigzy you weren't trying to get into the park, just having a little adventure.

Sort it out Alton!

kingda dude
TT Member
TT Member

Tue May 26, 2009 7:36 pm

That isn't that bad my friend 'Nick' made an even worse one:
itunesgen.tk
if insert it into your URL bar and press enter then you will be rick rolled.

I personally feel it is a good idea, it is the barbed wire or sometimes even worse, one pair of boys who snuck into a six Flags got killed as they walked in front of a ride (batman I think).
"The Marmalisation Process has been scientifically designed to ensure a sense of euphoria and satisfaction should be had by all... There are no, known, Long Term side effects to the Marmalisation process, however short term side effects may include: dizziness, vomiting, loss of balance, loss of limb control, feinting, wild hallucinations but most importantly Smiles!"

Miles Hi
TT Member
TT Member

Tue May 26, 2009 10:12 pm

I clicked on the link as well :x

"kingda dude" wrote:
That isn't that bad my friend 'Nick' made an even worse one:
itunesgen.tk
if insert it into your URL bar and press enter then you will be rick rolled.

sorry, whats rick rolled?

James
TT Member
TT Member

Wed May 27, 2009 9:24 am

I think they mean you'll be tricked!?

kingda dude
TT Member
TT Member

Wed May 27, 2009 11:36 am

Rick roller is a popstar from the 70's to 90's (personally I don't know) but if you do it it takes you to a website and it plays his music and if you press close it comes up with a box that goes on forever, I left a paper weightolding down enter, after 2 hours of peressing enter the site still hadn't gone.
"The Marmalisation Process has been scientifically designed to ensure a sense of euphoria and satisfaction should be had by all... There are no, known, Long Term side effects to the Marmalisation process, however short term side effects may include: dizziness, vomiting, loss of balance, loss of limb control, feinting, wild hallucinations but most importantly Smiles!"

DiogoJ42

Wed May 27, 2009 11:59 am

Rick Astley is a gimp from the 80's who gave us this abomination:
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOU8GIRUd_g" target="_blank]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOU8GIRUd_g[/url]

I think this all started last year as an attempt to try and get that single to xmas number one...

...it failed! :lol:

stigzy
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Wed May 27, 2009 12:34 pm

Er, can we get back on topic please, Barbed wire :shock:, anyone?

I found this link from the UK National Security Department, it shows good examples of other good deterrants, oh and this one too from Secure Inc! On Towers behalf, if not your own there both worth a look!

Big Dave

Wed May 27, 2009 12:41 pm

Im lucky I have google chrome and those boxes dont load :P

stigzy
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Wed May 27, 2009 5:33 pm

Dave you are not lucky if you have google chrome. I feel damn sorry for people like you who can't afford Internet Explorer!

Ash
TT Member
TT Member

Wed May 27, 2009 5:58 pm

As has been said, traps are not allowed but clearly marked barbed wire isnt.

The barbed wire at Alton im pretty sure isnt clearly marked, and its not hard to find an easy route over or under anyway away from such deterrents :)

Justtracy
TT Member
TT Member

Wed May 27, 2009 11:37 pm

I also detest the use of Barbed wire so I am fully behind your rant. Check out section 164 of the Highways Act 1980. It make quite an interesting read. :shock:

stigzy
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Fri May 29, 2009 11:03 am

Section 164 Of The Highways Act 1980. Very Interesting read.

"In practice, most Local Authority Highways Departments usually consider that barbed wire lower than eight feet from the ground could be a nuisance to highway users. Being a nuisance means that it is likely to cause injury to people or animals using the highway".

So in other words, wandering down a public route on the right side of the fence and having your ankle gashed and slashed to near death via Alton Towers' deadly loose barbed wire, is sure enough a nuisance to highway users?! I wonder, does the above quote include wild animals too, as per the entangled dead wild pheasant that met it's death in Alton Towers' deadly low laying, less than eight foot, touching the floor, deterrent?!

It's also worth pointing out that the particular section of perimeter fence in question can be accessed from within the park. Mainly from the Forbidden Valley end following an open and free route which runs below the woodland walk pathway. It's not hard to find, it's a simple left turn at the bottom of the stairs, under the archway. It's at this end of the perimeter fence where the deathly barbed wire lays hidden, at knee height, curled in a continuous corkscrew like way (all the way down to the old railway, now pathway) and about a foot and half in diameter.

No warning signs. A complete barbed wire jungle on the outside of the fence on the public highway. An even worse barbed wire jungle on the inside of the fence which is totally accessible by park guests and visitors, again with no warning signs. For a theme park that claims to be the best in the UK, it's not very professional or wise in the slightest! Just ensure, that if you do venture down either side of the fence, which your completely fine to do so, make sure you be careful!