UK theme parks from another point of view!

AstroDan

Summer 2009 Opening Hours: Changes

Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:54 pm

It appears that Alton Towers have shortened the 7:00pm ride closes to August only. Previously, the 7pm ride closes had been due to start in line with school summer breaks the last weekend in July, however they now appear not to be starting until 1st August and will end on 31st August, even though schools do not go back until nearly a week later.

Seems a bit of a cop out to reduce the later openings... especially in peak summer season when parks around Europe are open later (7,8,9pm is common across Europe) - obviously Alton's budget won't allow for later closes :roll: .

In brighter news, they have put a blanket 6:00pm close for the whole of July.

July: 6:00pm ride close
August: 7:00pm ride close

Pennywise
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Summer 2009 Opening Hours: Changes

Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:07 pm

That doesn't read well against Thorpe's 8PM closing. Very, very disappointing, surely something must have meant they needed to change the opening hours, if it was to do with a budget they surely wouldn't have announced 7pm closing at the start of the year?

With the park so busy at the moment, I think this is plain ridiculous, no way will people be able to cover the whole park in a shorter space of time! :(

Chris W
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:17 pm

Maybe early projections mean that they are not expecting the last week of July being busy?

I couldn't really care less about what time Thorpe or any other park closes.

9/10 hours is more than enough time to cover the park, even during busy days. I see no problems with current opening hours.

Wes
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:34 pm

In brighter news, they have put a blanket 6:00pm close for the whole of July.

July: 6:00pm ride close
August: 7:00pm ride close

To be fair, they've probably only bugeted for a set number of hours throughout the summer. If they have extended ride close to 6pm throughout the entire of July, they had to make some cut backs somewhere.
If there were some 5:30pm Ride closes in July, you would be moaning as to why they haven't extended until 6:00pm.

I don't see the big problem.

NickT04
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:37 pm

Yep by 6/7PM I find myself getting fairly tired and then I've got to drive home as well - I make the odd exception for Scarefest where the excitement of rides in the dark/mazes pulls you through!

I think it's better to have it month by month, knowing where you stand sort of thing.

AstroDan

Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:17 pm

Apparantly this may just be a typo. They have made a lot of 5:30pm cloes in July 6:00pm's, and appear to have blanketed the whole of the month. Watch this space...!

7:00 is ample for Towers - 8:00 would not work as it takes the park 1 hour or more to empty in the summer, wheras say Thorpe can empty much faster as it's so much smaller.

:)

adamtoonarmy
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:23 am

"AstroDan" wrote:
Apparantly this may just be a typo. They have made a lot of 5:30pm cloes in July 6:00pm's, and appear to have blanketed the whole of the month. Watch this space...!

7:00 is ample for Towers - 8:00 would not work as it takes the park 1 hour or more to empty in the summer, wheras say Thorpe can empty much faster as it's so much smaller.

:)

I am going to towers today and have noticed that ride close has been changed to 6pm. When I checked yesterday it was advertised as 5.30pm
Ridecount 2009:

Scott
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:07 pm

This seems like a bit of a strange idea to me.

Last season through July, August and early September ride close was 7pm daily, so why change it this year, when the park is attracting the same number of people, if not more through the gates.

I hope its an input error on the website.
Number ONE for Pleasure Beach Blackpool;
[url=http://www.pleasurebeachexperience.com\" onclick=\"window.open(this.href);return false;]http://www.pleasurebeachexperience.com[/url]

JakFrontier
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:43 pm

As track has been rumoured to start appearing in july for SW6, does anybody think they are closing an hour early to hide something?

NickT04
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:11 pm

I doubt it, they'd only have two hours max of decent light and then they'd have it hide it all again in the morning!

AstroDan

Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:26 pm

The calendar has now been re-amended, and the 7:00pm closes will indeed start, as originally planned, on Saturday, 25th July!

As for the end of season, that appears to have been extended 5 days and will end on a Friday...?!?! 10:00 - 16:00 from 2-6 November. Odd.

NickT04
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:27 pm

Another adrenieline week, or something similar?