UK theme parks from another point of view!

Big Dave

Re: Cloud Cuckoo Land Skyride station fire (Live Updates)

Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:19 pm

Its just been on ITV and the flames there looked massive!

Also on BBC about 2:45 into this video [url=http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/staffordshire/default.stm" target="_blank]http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/staf ... efault.stm[/url] click watch Midlands today on far right
Last edited by Big Dave on Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chris W
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:31 pm

Towers Nerd have some photos.

Big Dave

Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:37 pm

From BBC

Meg
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:41 pm

:shock:
That looks really, really bad

Voni86
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:44 pm

Eeek, that fire's enormous!

I guess we should all be grateful that the park was shut at the time... imagine if people had been riding the skyride at the time... *shudder*

jomo1993
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:48 pm

Right people, i have an update for you all.
I just went towers on the bus to have a nosey :lol:
Cloud Cuckoo Land, Hex and The Gardens are now all open. So is ugland and the toilets (only accesible via the ug land side) however Rita is still closed. I heard a host saying it was something to do with the skyride. There were a lot of mechanics around Rita and the hut where all the machenery is, is all open, so i assume it has in some way damaged Rita.

As for the skyride station, it is completely and utterly destroyed. All that is left is the metal frame and some melted vending machines. There is a reasonably large fenced off area around the station but BK and CCL are all accesible. More bad news which i guess will mean the skyride wont be open for a hell of a long time is the cable. Although it hasnt broke or snapped, it does appear to be very very slack. As in it is hanging down almost to tree level above the gardens and also a bit droopy over a deserted ugland. Looks like thats going to need replacing. Another thought i had was that the cable could have melted and effectively welded itself to the drive wheel thing in the burnt down station. Outside the station where all the little tires are and where the cabins lift on and off the track seems to be pretty much still intact.

As for sw6 construction access, the construction seems to be continuing as normal. There are plenty of diggers and workers on the site.

I did take some pics and ill post you al ink soon if i find out how to do it :lol:

Hope this helps people who were wondering :D
MIND THE DOORS PLEASE

MIND THE DOORS

Mattt
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:48 pm

I the park was open, it wouldn't have got that bad. A fire extinguisher would have it dealt with in minutes. ;)

Kaz
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:49 pm

Slightly better pics:

jomo1993
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:53 pm

BY the looks of that top pic, the whole building doesnt seem to be engulfed and the fire seems to be at one of the vending machines or even the stations control room.
Last edited by jomo1993 on Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MIND THE DOORS PLEASE

MIND THE DOORS

Kaz
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:57 pm

Ummm. I realise it's not just you that's been saying this but Have you seen the size of the bloody cable?! If that thing had come down, this would be front page BBC News material, as it would a. caused vast tracts of damage right across the park and b. cost millions to replace.

It's cable, it would have fallen to the ground probably doing little damage, and no it would not cost millions to replace. They are replaced every few years and cost around £10,000 depending on length.

Your telling me those cables falling would cause park wide damage, common. I mean it would have been a mess bit mainly landed on the likes of the gardens.

Judging by the fact the cable is slacking I would take a guess and say it has parted from the mechanism but the shoe still has a grip. The chances are the cable will be taken down in the next few weeks as a safety precaution.
Last edited by Kaz on Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mattt
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:01 pm

If the cable would indeed snap, I can guarantee that it will be supported by the next column. It will have built in redundancies so if indeed it did snap, it wouldn't cause park wide disaster.

And like Kaz said, them cables could smash a few things, kill a few plants, but no huge damage.

Liam
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:02 pm

This could have been hugely worse if it hadn't been a wet week.
I suspect those very close trees could have gone up too if it has been a very hot dry summer, and it could have spread across the woodland.

I hope they rebuild it to a Jules Vernian style, instead of magnolia MDF.

Post made via Mobile Device

SEALIFE
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:03 pm

Theres alot of speculation going round at the momment that it could very well be the vending machines or arcade machines which have caused the fire.

In this case, and if it is these could we see these being removed from the park incase it happens in the near future to any other of the attractions?

Rob L
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:04 pm

I am shocked at seeing those pictures of the fire, it looks like it was a pretty big fire. From the second picture the BBC show, it looks like the fire started towards the left hand side of the station where the gondolas enter and leave, then it obviously spread into the rest of the station.

The pictures from Towers Nerd really do show that there is nothing left, just the outer shell, so obviously a lot more damage than the previous fire. I think it's safe to say that the Skyride will be out of action until 2010.

Kaz
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:04 pm

If the cable would indeed snap, I can guarantee that it will be supported by the next column. It will have built in redundancies so if indeed it did snap, it wouldn't cause park wide disaster.

It depends what type of support it is. On cable cars you have over and under supports. Under supports are generally used to direct the cable up a hill and so on. So you would have seen partial collapse of the under supports but the overs would have held the cable... a mess really.

jomo1993
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:16 pm

"Mattt" wrote:

And like Kaz said, them cables could smash a few things, kill a few plants, but no huge damage.

I completely agree that the damage wouldnt be too bad.
However regarding the cable being supported by the next column id just like to give my thoughts on that. The cable above the gardens is a hell of a lot heavier than the weight of the cable between the supports in ugland (for example) purely because of the fact that there is a large distance between the supports. Therefore (unless the wire is held on the supports from above the wheels which by the looks of Kaz's picture it doesnt appear to be) then if the wire was to snap, it would simply fall to the ground in the gardens pulling the cable from other places of the wire into the gardens. Unless this happened very violently then it would remain on the supports until the end of the wire reached the last support where it would then fall to the ground in the gardens (thus causing little or no damage to other areas of the park other than the gardens). However by the looks of it, the wire hasnt snapped or broke luckily.
Im not saying i am right as i am no engineer but this is just how i see it happening :D

---- Post Info Added ----

"Zak" wrote:
Theres alot of speculation going round at the momment that it could very well be the vending machines or arcade machines which have caused the fire.

In this case, and if it is these could we see these being removed from the park incase it happens in the near future to any other of the attractions?

Yes i would hope they were removed or at least checked. They are in the stations or near the rides on a few of the rides. Including -
The monorail
Skyride (fv station)
MIND THE DOORS PLEASE

MIND THE DOORS

PeteB
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:20 pm

This is terrible news and I'm in a royal huff about the situation.

Skyride hardly ever works, then it gets taken out completely by fire. Skyride gets upgrade and works great for a few months, then gets taken out completely by a fire! Is it really too much to ask for a Skyride that works and doesn't set on fire?

The one think I hate about Alton Towers is all the walking, because it takes up too much of my time, and they're the worst park for transport anyway lol!

Oh well Scarefest will be painful, walking around all day until 9pm. Sometimes I just need to take the load off.

Glad no one was hurt though!

A5H

Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:20 pm

This has to be a real bad time for something like this to happen, not only are they spending millions on SW6, but now money needs to be spent on a new Sky Ride Station, and possibly Rita is reports are true that Rita is damaged :?:

One question... were any of the new gondolas damaged by the fire :?:

Kaz
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:23 pm

This has to be a real bad time for something like this to happen, not only are they spending millions on SW6, but now money needs to be spent on a new Sky Ride Station, and possibly Rita is reports are true that Rita is damaged

Insurance, it will cost them, but not loads.

ThrillJunkie
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:25 pm

"A5H" wrote:

One question... were any of the new gondolas damaged by the fire :?:[/b][/color]

No. we have been told they are stored at the Merrie England station.

Just a thought could the slack cable be down to the cable stretching from the heat of the fire. We all know cable stretches and softens when heated up
Last edited by ThrillJunkie on Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ThrillJunkieUK