UK theme parks from another point of view!

Jon
TT Member
TT Member

Re: SW6 Ride discussion Part 2

Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:58 pm

I prefer Surrender to all of the above. I'm dubious as to whether this survey was real.
Formerly "Dagoo"

King Sykes
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:23 pm

Im also pretty dubious as to whether theres any truth in it, Screamscapes like the transfer gossip in the sun. I prefer Surrender though.

EdwinOkli
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:30 pm

Am I the only one who sees that it has disappeared?

Vik
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:47 pm

It's still there, about 1/2 way down this page.

I'm always dubious about many things posted on the net. Until anyone else can confirm these surveys have taken place I will reserve judgement. But still I feel, from a personal point of view that the name Mortalis. Much better than Surrender.

If the survey rumours are to be believed, Mortalis is a much better than the other names being put forward. Maybe hoping that most people will plump for Mortalis? Then again, us Brits are a fickle bunch, we will probably end up with 'Wood Cutter' :P
Sent from my ZX81 via Time Travel

ben1990
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:47 pm

Panic - Far too tacky and nothing like a coaster name. Maybe better suited to a mid-range flat at Drayton Manor. :P

13 - Apparent unlucky meaning but tacky and unoriginal.

Thirteen - Artsy name but sounds more like a clothes shop or restaurant than a ride.

666 - Good name, apparent spiritual relevance is recognisable by all; and fits with SW6 :). Might be better just by calling it SIX?

Mortalis - Good name, fits the theme but feels as if its missing something?

I.T.U. (Into The Unknown) - I quite like it myself. Although the whole acrostic thing has been done before with Air & Rita (or so it is thought), it is still a good strong coaster name; kinda reminds me of Tatsu. Probably why i like it.

The Woodcutter - Suggests a completely different theme and sounds like a wooden coaster in an American park.

'SIX', Mortalis or ITU!

stretchy
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:33 pm

Just read ben1990's list and it occurred to me that I.T.U (Into The Unknown) isnt that far from R.I.T.A especially if you have a R at the start for Ride.

could this be actually a name they have for the retheme of Rita. Maybe next year Rita will be Ritu.

moog666
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:50 pm

Nice thinking there mate.

The only problem there is nothing about Rita suggests that your riding into the unknown. You can plainly see what your riding into and don't loose site of her for the whole ride when your queuing.

SW6 On the other hand is quite clearly what they are saying as it disappears both into the woods and into the building.

Maybe they should rename her Ritwl- Ride into the whiplash :P

If you must make jokes about Steve Jobs, Try to keep them PC.

Meat Pie
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:07 pm

I like Mortalis. Its strong, bold and has mythological reference.

However I would love to see them name it 666 just to see the uproar from Christians! :P

Heck our local number 666 bus was pressured into removing their little jokey cartoon devil signage because of killjoys! They'd have a fit if they heard a new rollercoaster was going to be named after the number of the beast! :P
AKA the vocal minority.

towersmike
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:26 pm

"Disco Ball" wrote:
Maybe Intamin have developed a new type of trains or restraints which allow there to be a lower height limit?

I was reading this and decided to have a look at the Intamin website for the mega-lite coaster.
This is what I found.
"As there are no overhead figures foreseen, open design trains with lapbars can be used to further enhancing the thrill experience. It is however also possible to use the newly developed Intamin shoulder-bars, which are of very soft material and light design. With this restraint system the height restriction might be brought down."

Could this be SW6?
Here is the link to the page
[url=http://www.intaminworldwide.com/iag/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=61&Itemid=32" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]http://www.intaminworldwide.com/iag/ind ... &Itemid=32[/url]
Choo - Choo!!

moog666
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:50 pm

"Meat Pie" wrote:
I like Mortalis. Its strong, bold and has mythological reference.

However I would love to see them name it 666 just to see the uproar from Christians! :P

Heck our local number 666 bus was pressured into removing their little jokey cartoon devil signage because of killjoys! They'd have a fit if they heard a new rollercoaster was going to be named after the number of the beast! :P

Im with you on that one mate. For obvious reasons :P

How about Route 666?

ben1990
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:09 pm

Something along the lines of the number 6 would be nice, good to tie in with the whole secret weapon thing :)

Chris W
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:06 am

As Squiggles mentioned in the UG Land topic, we know that the masked figures walking around UG Land are Wraiths. (Wraith is the Scottish word for a ghost, spectre of apparition which tends to be evil or agressive)

Wikipedia mentions that Wraiths appear in the popular Dungeons and Dragons video game, there is also a link with Mortalis and Dungeons and Dragons.

Obviously this could be all coincidence.

There definitely feels like there will be some kind of fantasy/gothic/mythical feel to the attraction.

There is so much potential, and I really hope that we can trust Alton Towers to get it spot on.

moog666
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:36 am

Of course we can trust them. IT,S ALTON TOWERS LAA!

Anonymous

Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:42 am

I'm probably looking into this far too much, but after typing 'Mortalis' into Google, and then clicking on page 6, (SW6), the first article says "Into the Woods". Coincidence or not?

Wes
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:07 am

:P :P :P

Intamin Track Unknown

EdwinOkli
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:39 am

Mortalis is just Latin for mortal.
Really, it's just fancying up not much.

ben1990
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:49 pm

Two potential problems with this coaster in my opinion.

[url=http://www.intaminworldwide.com/iag/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=38&Itemid=32" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]http://www.intaminworldwide.com/iag/ind ... &Itemid=32[/url]

i) Although we are getting a layout which drags the ride into the "thrill" category, the track is no doubt that of Intamin's family coaster. I can't help thinking all the theming and hype surrounding the new attraction will be let down by a measly ride at heart, made unique only by the gimmicks of a dark section/world first element/switchback. Anyone with a brain (the g.p) will realise this is nothing compared to Nemesis, Oblivion & Air; possibly even Rita, as far as thrills go. The public won't understand AT's theory of a ride appealing to all, they will simply see a coaster which doesn't compare to the park's other coasters.

ii) I predict lots of teething problems with SW6 mainly due to the ridiculous amount of technicalities and electric engineering applied to the ride. Not only is there the tyre lift, but a switchback, a break run and what looks like an ambitious drop inside which has never been done before. From an engineers perspective, these are actually much more difficult to synchronize than just block breaks. Roll on march!

rightbackgranty
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:33 pm

"EdwinOkli" wrote:

And Nemesis is from the Greek word "némesis" - but it doesn't mean its a bad name. Its the feelings and thoughts that the name conjours up that matters. For example, "The Woodcutter" strikes me as a wooden ride going through trees. However, Mortalis conjours up images of the underworld, the devil and demons - something that I'd love for the area to focus on. So often Theme Parks use the "zombies / vampire" dark theme which hardly inspires terror in anyone these days. But I feel that the Dark Forest theme could imply something unknown and almost sinister.

I also like Into The Unknown (ITU), but don't think it should be shortened to ITU :)

bohoboy
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:35 pm

"EdwinOkli" wrote:

Mortalis is not a latin word. It's a made up word to sound latin. The closest latin word for mortal is actually Letalis meaning deadly or fatal.

Jon
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:00 pm

Just because Mortalis has a vague Latin background, doesn't make it a wholly original and strong name for the ride. Personally, I think it's completely weedy. Structurally, it's a pretty weak word, and just isn't comfortably spoken. Oblivion, nemesis, Air and Rita (Yes, I am adament that Rita is a good name) ooze originallity and brand strength. Mortalis is a word that sounds like it should mean something "and therefore its deep and original. Well, no, it's not. If you were going for words that are essentially made up, why not actually make up a word? Instead of trauling through Latin to find something that vaguely fits the ride description, just for the sake of having a latin meaning. I'm pretty sure this won't be the ride name, as Alton are normally quite awesome at picking out names.

Surrender is much better.
Formerly "Dagoo"