UK theme parks from another point of view!

Javs
TT Member
TT Member

Re: SW6 Construction Part Two

Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:20 am

Yeah that was sort of what I was getting at too. I have absolutely no idea how it could be achieved though, if at all!

Islander
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:40 am

"Sam." wrote:
This isn't 1978! I'm sure (and hope) it'll be more technologically advanced than that! Anyway if part of the track is DROPPING, I don't see how a counter weight would work. :lol:

With respect, that's kinda like saying that there is no use for the wheel, as it's technologically archaic. Which of course is rubbish :P. Counterweights are used everywhere.

PmLondon
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:05 am

"EdwinOkli" wrote:
First Intamin coaster to use single cars?

And what about a spinning like Tornado ?

Javs
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:02 am

Is that Intamin? The track looks very very similar to SW6. So do we know if steelwork is on site yet? I think someone posted on the previous page that some supports where going in on the station exit trench. I am more and more convinced that the coaster trains for this ride are not going to be conventional. AT will want it to be unique next to Rita, theming aside. Wether it be spinning, sitting, lying down, standing up or a combination of any of these, I think we are in for a surprise.

chrismci
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:27 am

"Javs" wrote:
Is that Intamin? The track looks very very similar to SW6...

Yes, Tornado is Intamin, and yes the track is identical to sw6.

With reference to counterweights - I'm someone that has said from the moment the hole appeared that the cars won't drop below ground level, and the hole is for machinery. But I don't think we'll see counterweights for the simple reason that the track will be dropping, so a counterweight would need to be lifted in order for the track to drop and would only be useful if it's a slow drop, or to reset the track after the drop has happened.
It would help if the drop was going to bounce, but this is where I agree that it's not 1978 as nowdays we have things like air-powered drop rides which are more effective.

Re splitting trains... come on guys, think about this before you continue discussing it. The track won't support a splitting train, and if cars are going to drop individually surely there's no reason to send them round the track joined together - that makes for complex mechanics that could lead to an unreliable ride, and AT won't want a ride that needs really high maintenance or one that breaks frequently.

Laser Man
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:15 am

Ahem.

Where have my posts gone? #-o :cry:

electricBill desgined my signuture! So thanks to him! \":D\"

Craig

Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:31 am

Post something which is constructive, sensible and researched and it will remain. You're previous posts looked to be made simply to gain a rise from other members, interrupting what was otherwise sensible discussion and were therefore removed.

If you wish to discuss this further, please pm myself or a member of the team. Within this topic however, can we get back to the subject at hand :).

Shent
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:54 am

I can't see the "hole" been anything to do with the ride.

imo, i think it will house the air compressor.
......The one and only... :sus:

Big Dave

Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:11 pm

Yes its more than likely to be workings. Do Intamin do much with compressed air? A drop using air would be more cushioned and would probably work better, if some what less controlled than hydraulics.

Shent
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:13 pm

Rita has alot of compressed air so 8-[
......The one and only... :sus:

chrismci
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:19 pm

Just got home from AT with a few pics (I've got the Singapore Grand Prix to watch so will upload the pics later I can type this on the phone in front of the TV : -) ).
The ride area has gained a lot of concrete since I was there two weeks ago, and there's a couple of small supports bolted down in the station area, with a few more scattered waiting to be secured.
I had a look around the car park and there's lots more track than I'd expected based on previous pics. Looks like there's more arriving all the time, there was an artic parked up waiting to be unloaded - rear doors were open so I could see three sections of track and a load of crates.
One other observation, there is a lot of track with the fittings that are assumed to be for kicker wheels, there seems to be too much for just the lift hill and it's not just on flat straight track. That makes me think that the kickers will be significant. There is also a section of straight track with an elastomer buffer that has two kicker mounts, I'm guessing that is part of the reverse launch, they'd aim to stop the train on brakes before the buffer but it's a sensible precaution to have the buffer in case the brakes don't work quite well enough one day... Does anyone think there's a reason to have kickers in the maintenance area, which is the other place you'd expect track with a buffer?

Big Dave

Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:07 pm

"Shent" wrote:
Rita has alot of compressed air so 8-[

Yes compressed nitrogen, but I meant on its own like S&S do with their rides. As for the above, most techy sheds have kicker wheels as they tend to be on a straight and would be a tad hard if they had to push the train everywhere,

Vik
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:31 pm

Some photos taken from the construction site and storage site today (27/09/09)

Looking like the ride station area, where the track will head down, and around towards the Lift Hill.

Yes, It's THAT hole again :P

Some from the storage site, including a few nice labels :D :-

Sent from my ZX81 via Time Travel

Big Dave

Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:14 pm

More rebar going in on the station so looks like we will be seeing some more concrete being poured, maybe walls or something.

Altonator
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:28 pm

"chris55" wrote:
Hi people, don't post on here very often but pop in every now and again to see how things are progressing with SW6. And I must say all at TT do a great job.

Just a thought on the hole and the train being able to big to fit in etc. The hole COULD be for some kind of counterweight to fall into allowing the track/train to move vertically somehow. To get something as heavy a train full of people moving in any direction except down would IMO need some sort of counterweight to achieve it.

Pure speculation of course.

Do you mean how Thunder Looper used to work?
I think the weight was in this tower
[url=http://gallery.towersalmanac.com/displayimage.php?album=44&pos=8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]http://gallery.towersalmanac.com/displa ... m=44&pos=8[/url]
Whatever the weather outside it\'s always tropical at Cariba Creek

maguire245
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:01 am

"Big Dave" wrote:
More rebar going in on the station so looks like we will be seeing some more concrete being poured, maybe walls or something.

Obviously nice that there will be progression soon then, but I carn't help but think now, with walls going up, there may the chance of undercover work going on. All good making it secret, but I'd like to see the happenings.

Javs
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:42 am

The more I look at the pit, the more I am convinced it is a housing for a simulator platform. With a simulator platform, some 3D projectors and the aid of some 3D glasses, could we be seeing the worlds first multi sensory backwards launched 4D coaster experience? We know JW has been itching to bring a Spiderman the ride type of experience to the towers.

I was also looking at the recent photos of the track in the car park. That small piece of track near the top of the photo right of centre looks interesting. Looks like quite a sharp plunge.

chadjcooper1987
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:30 am

the building dosn't look like its gunna be big enough to house a world first element, AT have happily posted track layout, and station design, anyone seen the trains yet? have AT beaten universal to having the worlds first robo arm coaster? backwards launch has been done before, i don't think its the track thats going to make SW6 a world first

Matt.C
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:59 am

"Javs" wrote:
The more I look at the pit, the more I am convinced it is a housing for a simulator platform. With a simulator platform, some 3D projectors and the aid of some 3D glasses, could we be seeing the worlds first multi sensory backwards launched 4D coaster experience? We know JW has been itching to bring a Spiderman the ride type of experience to the towers.

I was also looking at the recent photos of the track in the car park. That small piece of track near the top of the photo right of centre looks interesting. Looks like quite a sharp plunge.

So you have to wear 3D glasses round the course until you get to the element? I think not, H&S wouldn't have it :P

Evostance
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:02 am

Thats A LOT of straight track...

And that does look like quite a plunge on that track piece.

Wonder what a rotary screw compressor is..

EDIT: Just an air compressor that uses a screwing mechanism