UK theme parks from another point of view!

Jon
TT Member
TT Member

Re: SW6 Construction Part Two

Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:17 pm

That will undoubtedly be why they have chosen to invest in them, particularly as Corkscrew was so noisy. I can understand why there is fuss about the kicker wheels, but I don't see that they mean anything. The track layout was set in stone (well, planning paper and ink) for months and months. It's still going up and down the same drop. If anything, the kicker wheels will make a faster and smoother lift. I think it'll add to the errieness of the ride. Plus, that little drop after the ride exits the station will allow it to pick up a little speed, like Spinball Whizzer.

I know its more supporting evidence for the growing dread that it'll boring and unthrilling as a simple mine ride, but I have a feeling that this will have used the modal of a mine ride, hence the "family coaster" label on the packages, but will have adapted it to make it less thrilling. The equivalent of getting the same model that Nemesis is, but using it to make only a moderately thrilling ride (if such a thing exists, which I doubt. A travesty!)

Formerly "Dagoo"

AstroDan

Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:03 pm

"thorpeparkjunkie" wrote:
However I am now doubting that this ride is going to be as intense as the other SW's

I agree that it's not likely to be an intense ride such as Nemesis or Oblivion, but Air was SW5 and that is one of the most suprisngly tame coasters I have ever been on.

Also: RE Intamin Mine Train rides - this coaster is nearer 75'. The Intamin mine rides are only 60' and reach speeds of 40mph. Add an extra 20% to the drop height and you'll have the same sort of speeds that Nemesis reaches.

:)

Kaz
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:11 pm

"Jon" wrote:
Spot the hair dryer!

Thats a heat gun, not a hair dryer :?

I've heard that the ride has kicker wheels on the lift literally for noise purposes only.

You mean you think.

maguire245
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:17 pm

"Kaz" wrote:

I'm very sure it was a joke.

Progress is going very quick, I am surprised at the rate they have been moving things on, I did think that as soon as track arrives on the site it would get put up fairly quick, it shows they don't want to mess around.

I'm glad I know what those small holes filled with water were now, seem like they were making sure the ground was strong enough for the lower supports :)

Evostance
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:22 pm

"Kaz""][quote=""Jon" wrote:
Spot the hair dryer!

I've heard that the ride has kicker wheels on the lift literally for noise purposes only.

You mean you think.[/quote]

I think it was a joke :p

BTW. I think i've found proof of a possible cut and cover for the helix

Click for bigger pic -> [url=http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/8517/62422834.png" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/8517/62422834.png[/url]

If you look at the other plans too, the run off from the helix after the drop goes directly over where the backwards helix would be

Kaz
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:26 pm

I'm glad I know what those small holes filled with water were now, seem like they were making sure the ground was strong enough for the lower supports

Those small holes filled with water were the foundations, they had just filled with water after a few days. Nothing to do with 'testing'?

Dormiens-Dave

Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:50 pm

I dont think those strips of metal between the kicker wheels are to do with anti-rollback as what ever device would interact with them would hit the right hand wheel of the kickers.

I'm fairly sure the wheels on kicker lifts turn one direction only (on a ratchet system) so if the power fails the wheels cannot reverse and they pin the train in position. you would require every seperate wheel pair on the lift to fail before the train dropped. Which is as likely as an anti-rollback dog failing.

Evostance
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:58 pm

"dormiensdraco" wrote:
I dont think those strips of metal between the kicker wheels are to do with anti-rollback as what ever device would interact with them would hit the right hand wheel of the kickers.

I'm fairly sure the wheels on kicker lifts turn one direction only (on a ratchet system) so if the power fails the wheels cannot reverse and they pin the train in position. you would require every seperate wheel pair on the lift to fail before the train dropped. Which is as likely as an anti-rollback dog failing.

Maybe they're something to do with the trains that we haven't seen yet..

Dormiens-Dave

Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:00 pm

You often see strips of metal like that on coaster track, ive always wondered what they do, someone said they housed sensors but ive got no proof of this

Kaz
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:50 pm

Quite right, sensors sill most likely be placed on them to enable the computer system to track the speed and location of the train on the launch track.

EdwinOkli
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:02 pm

I really hope there is a launch in this coaster. In my dreams, I'd see SW6 as faster than Rita but obviously that isn't going to happen. Most likely it'll be slower than... Air. (I had to look up which SW was the slowest because I wasn't so sure myself, interestingly enough Oblivion reaches higher speeds than Rita.

Rollercoaster5000
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:05 pm

The lift could very well be a launched lift hill. Look at Hulk at Islands of Adventure they use Kicker wheels to launch The Incredible Hulk. However the bulky track on the Incredible Hulk can withstand the pressure of heavy B&M trains speeding round the track as for the fin SW6 track along with it's flimsy supports the coaster may collapse, so rather than a super fast launch we could very well have a slightly slower acceleration.

Evostance
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:15 pm

Your probably looking at about 20mph lift speed if its "launched"

EdwinOkli
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:29 pm

Wow, that lift hill truly is amazing, it starts off pretty slowly but the launch is what really makes it.

If Alton Towers are reading this...
SW7 MUST BE A B&M.
That is all.

Dormiens-Dave

Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:05 pm

To be a launched lift hill the wheels would need to a lot closer together and there would need to be more of them. If you look at Hulk there is barely any space between the pinch wheels.

King Sykes
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:06 pm

If there was to be a SW7, id hope for another intamin! :wink:
... lovely pre-fab woodie
On Topic.
Well wow, incredible how fast this is going up, can't wait to see the site later this month! It'l be intresting to see how much is done before then.

Khanage
TT Member
TT Member

Khanage is KING!

Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:17 pm

So has anyone been on park today? The rate this constructions going it'll be up before too long!
Thanks to Adzy for the sig & av.

Evostance
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:31 pm

"dormiensdraco" wrote:
To be a launched lift hill the wheels would need to a lot closer together and there would need to be more of them. If you look at Hulk there is barely any space between the pinch wheels.

I doubt it will be "launched" as you've said. I'm guessing its just going to be a quick constant pace lift/launch

andy_sj
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:56 pm

We're kinda getting spoiled with construction pics now, I'm not complaining, its great! Its all going up pretty quickly now, can't wait to see the next batch of pics! Big thanks to all the guys n gals who've been supplying us with the updates! :clap:

DaNnyToWeRs
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:14 pm

I'm going scarefest on the 25th, I cant wait to se SW6 in the flesh! I must say, lots of people were sceptical when the plans came out. But looking at it now I'm confident this we be brilliant!