UK theme parks from another point of view!

NickT04
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Buying ERT

Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:48 pm

Never thought to mention this last week but as me and my friends were waiting for the barriers to be removed at 10am, we were then approached by a member of staff asking if we'd like to pay £5 each to gain access to the park straight away without waiting till ten! None of us took up the offer (I wouldn't have too as a AP holder, the rest were on strict food budgets) just wondered if anyone else had experienced this?

Edit: Restructured a bit!
Last edited by NickT04 on Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Luke

Re: Buying ERT

Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:02 pm

Wow, this is pretty crappy if true...

ERT is a privilige, and should remain so for Hotel people, online-booking and most of all their most loyal customers - pass holders!

I will be really disappointed if they start to use this all the time - hopefully it's just a trial that fails miserably, although to be honest it's as good value as Fastrack, but I doubt most day visitors would realise how many big rides they can actually do between 9-10.

chrismci
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:07 pm

That's scraping the bottom of the money-grabbing barrel. I don't have a problem with the pricing of anything at AT, but the ERT is a perk to help sell some types of ticket. It shouldn't be buyable at the barrier. Oh well, another AP perk gets eroded.

AstroDan

Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:13 pm

If that is true, then that's disgusting on the part of Alton Towers. They should be ashamed. There's enough "COKE REFILL" "BOUNCEBACK TICKET" "CHEAP SHODDY TOYS" "RIP OFF CANDY FLOSS" on Towers Street as it is.

ERT is fast becoming GUYWRT (Give Us Your Wallet Ride Time) as more and more people seem to be in for it. It used to be for AP and Hotel Guests only.

Luke

Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:28 pm

"AstroDan" wrote:
It used to be for AP and Hotel Guests only.

XRT used to be for online-booking too, from 2001-2004ish, until they re-branded it as ERT.

The point still remains though - there's no point in having these priviliges if anyone can buy them - might as well just open the whole park to everyone at 9am!

Vik
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:35 pm

So I guess next time anyone with an AP goes to the barriers with a Non AP friend, rather than granting a nice polite request to if it would be ok for both of you to go through, now we'd have to show them our wallets first. :D

I do think they have a bit of cheek to honest. What next, pay extra money to skip the queues on the big rides. Oh, wait a minute... :P
Sent from my ZX81 via Time Travel

BULBOUS
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:36 pm

How much of a negative message does this send to guests who've just bought a day ticket, anyway? When it was an annual pass/hotel/online only hour, it was not only an incentive to stay in the hotels, buy an annual pass or book online, it was visible that it was a perk for these customers only.

Now they're flogging it for £5 a person, it's completely ruined the exclusivity of it, devalued staying in the hotels/booking online/having an annual pass, and can only infuriate guests who've paid up to knocking on £40 for a DAY ticket.
Adjective: Fat, round, or bulging.

NickT04
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:19 pm

It definately happened - but never expereinced it before. The guy that asked us had a big wad of tickets in his hand, I presume they were "ERT entry" tickets. Either that or they could be looking to make a quick few pounds after AT caught onto their annual pass discount abuse :P

AstroDan

Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:21 pm

What exactly do they do with said tickets? You pay £5, get the "ticket" and then give it back to them again? Then they could probably sell it again.

:roll:

Johno
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:55 pm

I don't understand this. As I can now use a BOGOF offer, and then buy a £5 ERT ticket; for a much reduced rate compared to the typical online rate (which's beneficial to AT as its booked never mind rain or shine).

PeteB
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:48 am

I'm not even going to make comment on this issue, I'm sure you can all imagine my thoughts.

Alton Towers, you have exceeded the money grabbing barrier and now stand in the "greedy [email protected]" category. DISGUSTING! :evil:

fromsolitude
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:02 pm

I'm pretty appalled by this too, will add my two cents whilst attempting to not needlessly go over what's already been said. For me, it pretty much stomps all over the perks of staying on site. It takes me a long time to get to Alton, and I could easily stay in an outside hotel, but because of the little niceties like ERT I always stay in their hotels. It just adds to the joy, makes you feel a little bit special and exciting. Well now that's out of the window! It's ridiculous.

Hopefully it won't stick, or, they'll see the error of their ways... maybe.

Crofty

Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:07 pm

It really does sound like something you would hear from a Ticket tout!

"You wanna get in early matey? Have a shifty at one of these for a fiver ;) ;) "

Instead of solving the dire situation you have with guests crowding the entrance due to a poorly planned out morning opening routine they are taking advantage of the stressful situation and trying to make yet another quick buck!

"lets cram as many as we can into the small area and see who buckles first with our £5 bribes!"

I wonder... If people get injured in the crush at the entrance gates will they still have to pay the £5 entrance fee to airlifted from the Lawns? :roll:

:D :D

Hark

Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:19 am

I think this is shocking.
Alton Towers, you should really be ashamed. ERT was meant to be for Annual Pass Holders & Guests. No one else, it's a little thank you for showing support by getting a pass and/or stopping on resort.

When it was opened to the General Public with online sales, killed the feeling for me. Everyone can utilise it now, there's queues aswell to show for it... especially on Rita! During ERT I think its awful and proving the point they're letting too many people in.

Chris W
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:29 am

I didn't notice extra queues during ERT.

I went during peak summer season, went on Rita 3 times (1 front row), Oblivion twice (would have had more but they were adding shuttles so a bit of a delay), Enterprise once, and RMT once.

This summer was my biggest ride count during ERT ever, unless I ran from ride to ride I wouldnt have done any better.

Obviously paying for ERT is a bit greedy of Alton Towers but I'm not convinced that many people would take them up on the offer.

Rob L
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:22 am

This news hasn't really pleased me at all, for two reasons.

First of all, it Alton asked for even more money from people, which at the start of the day is not something that you are going to want. As people have said, you've already got enough things being sold on Towers Street, and it is getting a bit greedy now.

The second thing is the ERT is meant to be for Annual Pass holders and hotel guests, however this now allows anyone who wants ERT to get ERT. I wasn't best pleased when they allowed people who booked online to have ERT, and I'm not bothered of it's not making the queues any longer, it's more about how there's one less privilege for AP holders. I was close to sending them a letter at the start of the year about it, and I wish I had now.

Gloomy Dude
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:27 pm

As disgraceful as the events described here are, nobody seems to see this for what it probably was. The stupidity of one of two rogue members of staff. Not some new Merlin policy. As far as I can see, nobody else has reported the same thing. If it was as I suspect, the staff in question would, I assume be planning to pocket the cash. Consequently they deserve a boot up the pipe.

I'm totally 100% for ERT remaining a special perk. The online bookings thing was a bit of a kick in the shins to us Towers enthusiasts, but hopefully it will go no further than that. Annual passes not granting park entry over Christmas... now that is worth getting righteously angry about.
[size=90]For some things there is no rational explanation. There is no way out. There is no happy ending to this story. Welcome to the unknown. Welcome to eternal darkness.

Welcome to Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - The Ride

Marky_Boy
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:48 pm

Think I'm going to be shot down here, but is it really a bad idea? I mean, if they had a set number of tickets that were available, eg 500, that's not going to affect the que's for ERT. Also, one thing that really annoys me is that I have an AP, but everytime I go with mates, I have to wait with them until 10, whereas this would mea could get there early, pay a little extra and all go in together. To be honest, I think £5 is actually a little on the cheap side for this. I mean 1hrs of pretty much unlimited acces to rides? Bargin! So, thumbs up Alton, providing it is only a limited number of tickets available.

Balb0wa
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:16 pm

Why should you think your special if you have an annual pass?

You go lots of times no doubt, the pass works out cheap for you, you also get 20% discount , free parking.

You do well out of the pass, Alton probably make more from you average "Joe" than pass holders.

Its Alton, they want all the money they can squeeze out of us, one thing that gets me is the people with cameras, wanting to take your picture as you walk down towers street and in sharkbait reef , does my nut in.

John
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:21 pm

To be honest, I think its hotel guests that have more to complain about by erosion of ERT benefits. They've paid a lot of money for a single visit to the park (as opposed to unlimited), and should be able to get the most out of their visit for it. At least annual pass holders can visit often enough that getting on as many rides as possible isn't such an issue.