UK theme parks from another point of view!

AstroDan

Rita "rough" - get a grip!

Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:20 pm

I am staggered that some people reckon that Rita is "really rough" and that the ride causes them "considerable pain"... If you are 6'1+ then obviously the restraints don't allow much comfort, and detract from the ride experience.

However, Rita is not a rough coaster. On the helix next to the Corkscrew Photo Booth, the train does jolt a couple of times, particularly towards the back of the train. But apart from that, Rita - whilst not silky smooth, flows along quite well.

Compared to dozens of coasters I have been on, Rita is not rough and people who claim that it is frankly ought to be assessing what they look for in a coaster! Sometimes, rides can be TOO smooth almost - a little bit of rumbling gives a ride a bit of chracter.

Serious pain is only caused when a ride is constantly jolting during the entire ride. Rita is only 23 seconds long as it is and really isn't "rough".

Some people are so weak and fragile!

Thoughts - I look forward to people disagreeing!

:D :D

PeteB
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Rita "rough" - get a grip!

Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:40 pm

Dan, grand national at PBB is smoother than Rita, even the mouse is.

The cheap 10p plastic seats my school had at the desks were more ergonomic than Rita's seats.

I've been in more comfortable handcuffs and stocks than the restraints on Rita.

The only good thing about Rita is it's launch, a minor thrill, but the rest of the ride is only fit for the scrap yard. At least Stealth has an element of excitement other than its launch. It doesn't cause me an real pain, I'll ride it til the cows come home, it's just seriously uncomfortable.

That's just me though. I think the problem with the GP is that they think modern rides should be smooth and comfortable. They dont expect to get bashed about nowadays.

Emily
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:43 pm

Rough? Really? I would never have thought of it that way. Magnum Force at Flamingo Land - that was rough - you'd be lucky if you got off without bruises! I'd say that Rita is a million times better than that was :P

I went on my first ever 'real' rollercoaster when I was about 6 (I was quite tall, so could get onto some of the bigger rides sooner). I don't know where it was - Drayton Manor or American Adventure perhaps (I used to live in Derby, so it'll have been somewhere around there) - and it was horrible! My head got bashed around so much. I'm surprised I wasn't put off rollercoasters for life :lol:
Last edited by Emily on Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rob L
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:44 pm

I completely agree with Dan, Rita may have a couple of jolts, but I don't find it at all rough and have never come off in pain. On rough coasters, such as Saw, I find that I have to hold on just to brace myself, but I'm always fine on Rita.

It's only natural for coasters to jolt around a bit, but a couple of jolts for me do not equate to pain. Rita is a perfectly enjoyable ride, and one that you can go back on straight away with no fear of coming off with a banging head ache, well that's what I find anyway. None of the coasters at Towers are actually rough now that Corky has gone, which is obviously a good thing!

PeteB
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:50 pm

"Rob" wrote:
On rough coasters, such as Saw

Really? I thought saw was one of the smoothest coasters actually. It doesn't even make a noise.

furie
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:55 pm

I don't think it's particularly rough at all. It shakes a bit and jolts a little, but overall, it's not too bad. As Dan says, it's a long way from being a rough coaster.

However, it seriously hurts me. That's not the "roughness" of the coaster though. It's because I am pinned into the restraints at both thigh and shoulder.

When the train hits the tops of the hills, I am forced by the strong ejector right into the hard shoulder harnesses. It's a bit like having a big bloke lift himself onto your shoulders with a plank of wood on your shoulders to "stop him hurting you". It's hard, it hurts, serves me right for being beefy and over six feet tall! :D

Of course, it may be my size that means I don't feel any real roughness in the ride ;)

After America and some of the woodies there (I'm looking at YOU Coney Island Cyclone) - I shall never complain about the roughness of any UK based coaster again. That includes The Nash and Antelope at Gullivers! At one point I was wishing for Corkscrew rather than the wood over there ;)
If you\'ve got a problem, stuff a worm in it!
Come and Visit the Family_Furie family review site here

Rob L
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:58 pm

"PeteB""][quote=""Rob" wrote:
On rough coasters, such as Saw

Really? I thought saw was one of the smoothest coasters actually. It doesn't even make a noise.[/quote]
I have been on Saw 3 times now, and 2 of those times I came off in pain. It was my second ride on Saw that was the worst, and all you had to do was look at the on-ride videos at the end of the ride to see how much people's heads were shaken around. An hour after riding it, I still had a head ache and was feeling sick. In my opinion, the roughness on Saw ruins the ride.

On Rita though, which I have been on many more times, I have never had such an experience. I would say the Nemesis, Oblivion and Air are all smoother than Rita, but Rita is not a rough coaster. As I said it is an enjoyable ride with very little head bashing.

ShadowTD
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:59 pm

Couldn't agree more. Rita has got slightly rougher while she was bedding in but no rougher than a fast, thrilling steel coaster should be.

Colossus however, is beyond a joke. And let's not talk about Gouderix...

Snorlix
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:03 pm

Rita isn't rough, as PeteB has mentioned it's just very uncomfortable. But then I didn't find the Corkscrew rough or uncomfortable, and Saw is just fine!

But then there's the Beastie - that's rough and uncomfortable and will give you plenty of bruises with it's mock leather plastic seats and lack of soft cushioning even for the smallest of passengers!

Dylan
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:52 pm

I've never found Rita rough or uncomfortable.
My only criticism is the shoulder section of the restraints. There are a couple of the turns in the ride where they really bash my neck unless I am consciously bracing myself. This happened to me on Furius Baco too.
There are many rides that I would class as rough, Rita is not one of them.

Darren
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:14 pm

I agree that Rita is actually quite smooth. In all of the times I have rode it (and that's a fair few), I have never experienced any pain. It may jolt here and there but there are a lot more offenders out there that really do give a painful ride.

Alex

Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:20 pm

The only really painful bit of rita is the corner after launch. Esspecially if your not expecting it. It can be quite painful ;D

But that isnt the roughness, its just sheer force of the corner.

So rita isnt exactly rough...

Nathan
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:28 pm

I wouldn't say it's rough, but it's certainly uncomfortable.

I hate the restraints.

Vik
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:29 pm

I've never really found Rita rough. Just a couple of little jolts, or on occasions vibrations from what felt like a loose wheel. Have had the same problem as Dylan, with bashing my neck on the restraints, though have learnt how to avoid that now.

Also SAW if a difficult one. Whilst I don't find it rough as such, I do come off it in some pain. Normally a headache and/or a stiff neck. Think this is more to do with the couple of forceful left/right jolts that seem to be inflicted on the cars as they go through the circuit.

And am I the only one who doesn't find Colossus rough? :D
Sent from my ZX81 via Time Travel

Gloomy Dude
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:40 pm

The only bit I find really quite uncomfortable, is the turn between the first and second hills. But most folk know by now when to brace. Other than that, smooth as a baby's proverbial I reckon :D
[size=90]For some things there is no rational explanation. There is no way out. There is no happy ending to this story. Welcome to the unknown. Welcome to eternal darkness.

Welcome to Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - The Ride

teaves17
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:00 pm

The ride is smooth - but the seats!

The little lump on the seat was ergonomically thought through properly. Sits in exactly the wrong place for me :yikes:

leighhills
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:05 pm

See, I have a dodgy Back so Rita is very uncomfortable in the bit passed Corkys station position. If I put my arms up around the corner, it punishes my Back. If I put my arms down thats ok, but then I get beaten to death.

With T-Bars though, Rita would be fine. But its currently Ritarded.

Would probally help if that corner wasn't banked incorrectly aswell...

Dylan
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:16 pm

"Vik" wrote:

And am I the only one who doesn't find Colossus rough? :D

The problem I have with Colossus is the vibration of the trains, when you sit towards the back.
Get near the front and its quite a nice ride, although the seats are not that comfortable.
The vibration towards the back is awful through the cobra roll and corkscrews.
It's the only (large) coaster at Thorpe I am not bothered about missing if the queues are too long.

AstroDan

Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:42 pm

I totally agree about all the restraint stuff. On Rita, the restraints really hamper the ride. There's some amazing airtime on Rita which is held back by the harnesses.

And Colossus, is more shakey than rough... although there are 3 or 4 points in the first 1/2 of Colossus where the train does make a rather sudden jolt - mainly to the back of the train.

:)

John
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:47 pm

Have to agree with the complaints about rita's restraints. If I go on in several times in a day I wake up the next day with very sore shoulders. If I keep my arms down its OK though.

As for colossus, I find that there's often a nasty jolt at the bottom of the first drop, particularly towards the back. The cobra roll and corkscrews can be fairly rattly too.