UK theme parks from another point of view!

Is it time the Runaway Mine Train to be refurbished?

Poll runs till Tue Jun 22, 2049 8:10 pm

Yes
20 (26%)
No
29 (37%)
Maybe
29 (37%)

Total votes: 78

Bote
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Runaway Mine Train. Time for a refurb?

Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:05 pm

Something my parents said the other day got me thinking about this! The other day I was at Alton and Mum and Dad decided to come ( :roll: can't get any freedom). They hadn't been for years, but after coming of the RMT they both said it seemed rougher than before. AstroDan also said this. From what I can gather it has started to become jerky with age and can no longer run at full speed. This raises the question, is it time for Mack to do a refurb on it. To be fair it's been there a while and has had quite a thrashing over the years.

chrismci
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Runaway Mine Train. Time for a refurb?

Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:09 am

It probably just needs the drive mechanics to have a damn good service. The jolts are part of the character of the ride to me.

Laser Man
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:08 am

I think they should tear out the entire Runaway Train and start over with a better themed one with a lift-hill similar to El Diablo at PortAventura. :lol:

electricBill desgined my signuture! So thanks to him! \":D\"

Luce
Contributor
Contributor

Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:23 pm

I think it should be left as it is, unless it actually needs work done - in which case I'm sure AT would carry out.

I reckon RMT is well themed and it fits in nicely with the whole area, although it would be nice if some more themeing could be added to the tunnel it shares with the Congo River Rapids :D

Jimsmells
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:00 pm

In my opinion the ride needs to be pulled down and a newer family ride be put there. The RMT is showing it's age.
Would you like to play a game of Mel Gibson\'s safari?

PeteB
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:53 pm

Nothing wrong with RMT, except the fact they're scared to run it at full speed since the accident.

Leave it alone.

Shent
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:13 pm

"Jimsmells" wrote:
In my opinion the ride needs to be pulled down and a newer family ride be put there. The RMT is showing it's age.

in that case, lets pull nemmy and oblivion down

Nemmy is showing it's age, look at the sate of it, the themeing

Oblivion has faded, "smoke" bars around the hole are crap

As people have said, why pull it down, when there is nothing wrong with it, kids enjoy it, it's not just geeks that go to alton towers you know.
......The one and only... :sus:

Laser Man
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:17 pm

"Shent""][quote=""Jimsmells" wrote:

As people have said, why pull it down, when there is nothing wrong with it, kids enjoy it, it's not just geeks that go to alton towers you know.[/quote]

I'm so tempted to Boo you but I won't after you've been so nice to me. :x

Shent
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:19 pm

"Laser Man""][quote=""Shent""][quote=""Jimsmells" wrote:

As people have said, why pull it down, when there is nothing wrong with it, kids enjoy it, it's not just geeks that go to alton towers you know.[/quote]

I'm so tempted to Boo you but I won't after you've been so nice to me. :x[/quote]

:lol: why boo me?

it's the truth

I don't see ANYTHING wrong with rmt, i enjoy it, im sure the 10000's of kids that go enjoy it to.
......The one and only... :sus:

Laser Man
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:45 pm

"Shent""][quote=""Laser Man""][quote=""Shent""][quote=""Jimsmells" wrote:

I'm so tempted to Boo you but I won't after you've been so nice to me. :x[/quote]

:lol: why boo me?

it's the truth

I don't see ANYTHING wrong with rmt, i enjoy it, im sure the 10000's of kids that go enjoy it to.[/quote]

I just find it a poor excuse for a coaster, even if it is a family coaster. Gimme El Diablo over it any day! :D

TRAITOR! :(

Mattt
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:51 pm

El Diblo is boring.

RMT is legend. :)

Crofty

Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:16 pm

"Laser Man" wrote:

I just find it a poor excuse for a coaster, even if it is a family coaster. Gimme El Diablo over it any day! :D

TRAITOR! :(

It's not really a Coaster anyway, it doesn't 'Coast' at all. :P

El Diblo is one of the most boring Mine Trains i've ever been on, besides you'd never fit a coaster like that in the small footprint of RMT, this is why the powered models are ideal. :P

RMT is showing it's age, if it needs an overhaul to enable it to run at full speed then is should have it, it's a top quality family ride! Something needs to be done to the tunnel, even if they just put some dim mine type lamps along the route but thats about it.

:D :D

AstroDan

Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:47 pm

El Diablo!? Is rubbish! OK it's faster than RMT, but for a standard lift-hill mine train - it's awful.

:lol:

TB2
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:39 pm

Aww.. no way. Tearing down RMT would be rubbish, for me it's one of Alton's most fun rides. I'd welcome a refurb although I haven't really noticed that it's running slower then it used to.

It still gives a thrill and is a great little ride.
1. Expedition Everest 2. Hollywood Tower of Terror 3.Superman De Acero 4. Katun and Nemesis 6. OzIris 7. Blue Fire 8. Black Mamba 9. Manta 10. Oblivion

James
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:18 am

A refurbishment for the Runaway Mine Train isn't needed at all currently. The ride is still great, it would be nice if it could run on full speed again but then the ride still thrills people. I just don't see why it'd need to be knocked down, it's working and pulls in the crowd, why remove the ride if nothing's wrong with it at all :?

Although I'd love the tunnel to be themed into a cave or something with mist possibly in there, that just screams out Magic to me :D

DiogoJ42

Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:30 am

Refurb, sure. But remove? what are these fools talking about?

Craig

Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:49 am

There's only recently been some refurbishments made to it. Sure it doesn't seem to run as fast as it did before but its still thrilling considering its target riders. The ride recently had some refurbishment done when the ropes on the structure were all renewed and the bell was fixed too.

Additions would be great though, as Crofty suggested something like miner's lamps would be great to see, something simple and relatively inexpensive. The ride itself still pulls in the crowds and still looks visually impressive on the whole so I don't see any reason for it to be removed?! :?

Mankey
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:09 am

NO REMOEV IT AN PUT A 300FT B&M MEGA IN ITZ PLAEC!1!1!one!11! :x

Why remove RMT? Seriously...

I actually think its one of the stronger coasters at AT and one of the best themed. I don't care if it doesn't pack a massive punch, but I don't think I've EVER seen someone come off that ride without a massive smile on their face, despite what age they are. :shock: Removing it would be insanity.

But like others said, I would love to see the cave themed! [-o<
[b]Back from hibernation![b]

Rob L
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:45 am

RMT should definitely not be removed, it's such as fun coaster and still gets a large queue on busy days. It's perfect for pretty much everyone, and allows for great guest interaction some of the times. Towers need family coasters, and RMT is a very good family coaster.

However, it would be nice to see it done up a little bit. There's nothing wrong with the entrance area, that still looks very nice and is well themed, but some sort of theming and lighting in the tunnel wouldn't go amiss. It's one of those things like the Air tunnel I guess, something that needs to be done but probably won't be done! We can hope though.

DiogoJ42

Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:16 pm

Besides, if they removed RMT, where would we get our "Choo-choo" fix? :P