UK theme parks from another point of view!

 
AstroDan

Re: SW6 Ride & Construction discussion.

Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:38 pm

Europa-Park initially adveritsed Blue Fire as a "WELTNEUHEIT" (Worlds First) but later removed this from all advertising because it isn't really (inverting coasters with lap bars had been done before, launched looping coasters had been done before).

Sometimes parks just get carried away. If SW6 is or is not a Worlds First then it doesn't reallyaffect my judgment of it.
 
User avatar
Jimsmells
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 69
Joined: August 2009
Location: Bristol

Re: SW6 Ride & Construction discussion.

Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:09 pm

If Alton say it will be a worlds first I have full confidence that it will be. Also does anybody now what the height of the lift hill is?
Would you like to play a game of Mel Gibson\'s safari?
 
Chris W
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 3328
Joined: July 2007
Location: Liverpool

Re: SW6 Ride & Construction discussion.

Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:33 pm

"Jimsmells" wrote:
If Alton say it will be a worlds first I have full confidence that it will be. Also does anybody now what the height of the lift hill is?


Around 20-21 metres. (2 metres shorter than Corkscrew)
Image
Image
 
AstroDan

Re: SW6 Ride & Construction discussion.

Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:44 pm

Althoug this will have a larger drop, and fall to below ground level in places - something that Corkscrew never managed.

:)
 
sibic
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 72
Joined: October 2009

Re: SW6 Ride & Construction discussion.

Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:02 pm

there will be a drop as it was mentioned in an interview with John Wardley he was looking at what the minimum height for a drop needs to be to git the maximum effect if the drop is the worlds first who knows. do people thank that the track supports look over engineered looking at other rides of this type sw6 looks to have a lot more support just look at Jet Rescue.
 
towers freak

Re: SW6 Ride & Construction discussion.

Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:28 pm

"sibic" wrote:
there will be a drop as it was mentioned in an interview with John Wardley he was looking at what the minimum height for a drop needs to be to git the maximum effect if the drop is the worlds first who knows.

The interview you are referring to was not with John Wardley but with Brendan Walker the thrill engineer.
 
User avatar
SheikhSam
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 374
Joined: October 2009
Location: Bedford
Contact:

Re: SW6 Ride & Construction discussion.

Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:56 pm

If Alton say its worlds first then I have full belief in them and that they will succeed, what haven't Alton made that isn't enjoyed by one age group or the other, going slightly off discussion but I think Alton should focus more on being a thrill capital rather than a childrens playground with the odd thriller, but then again thats only my opinoin and has no persuasion on you what so ever. Back to the signal waving of SW6, the project is coming along really well and just to think that only a month ago, we still didn't know what the hell to expect :D . Alton always impress me with thrill rides but could have been put a bit closer together, and save time walking the earth to get to another ride :lol:
Who knows what to expect in 2010... the worlds first coaster without a name? that would be a bit silly now wouldn't it.
Image
Image
 
User avatar
speedoboy
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 24
Joined: November 2009
Location: staines

Re: SW6 Ride & Construction discussion.

Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:37 pm

well said :clap: hrmmm... towers nerd or towers times havent added anymore photos does anyone want to post any :?:
 
Anonymous

Re: SW6 Ride & Construction discussion.

Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:41 pm

Went to towers today.

Construction looks great. no pics as waiting for new camera to come. A lot of working going on though. I shouted over a builder and tried to get some info out of him. Didn't work.

But have to say. It looks amazing. The drop after the hill climb looks amazing. Then the swirls as well :P
 
chadjcooper1987
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 24
Joined: September 2009

Re: SW6 Ride & Construction discussion.

Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:30 am

Just wanna share some views on the track layout, alot of people have been trying to sugar coat it, but really its a very below average track layout, and we knew that from the plans that it was goin to be a very poor track layout. Theres no point trying to say how amazing the first bend looks. or how good the airtime is goin to be, because its a poor track.

However, the trains there gunna use, and the fact the track runs into the woods, mixed with some great themeing and that world first element, there whats going to make it whatever its going to be. yes its a very poor track, but its looking set to be a great ride.
 
User avatar
Nightfall
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 2730
Joined: September 2009
Location: Cambridge

Re: SW6 Ride & Construction discussion.

Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:45 am

"chadjcooper1987" wrote:
Just wanna share some views on the track layout, alot of people have been trying to sugar coat it, but really its a very below average track layout, and we knew that from the plans that it was goin to be a very poor track layout. Theres no point trying to say how amazing the first bend looks. or how good the airtime is goin to be, because its a poor track.

I can't quite agree. I believe the layout doesn't look brilliant but by look alone I wouldn’t say that Nemesis or Air have impressive track layouts. Compared to the American rides they look tiny and by picture alone something like SAW looks allot better. When it comes down to riding them it is obvious that the track layout on N&A is better though because the track just feels right from start to end.
For all we know you could be right (It is Intamin and not B&M) but maybe this ride is a SW for a reason.
ImageImage
 
Trixz
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 127
Joined: August 2008

Re: SW6 Ride & Construction discussion.

Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:34 am

"Nightfall""][quote=""chadjcooper1987" wrote:
Just wanna share some views on the track layout, alot of people have been trying to sugar coat it, but really its a very below average track layout, and we knew that from the plans that it was goin to be a very poor track layout. Theres no point trying to say how amazing the first bend looks. or how good the airtime is goin to be, because its a poor track.

I can't quite agree. I believe the layout doesn't look brilliant but by look alone I wouldn’t say that Nemesis or Air have impressive track layouts. Compared to the American rides they look tiny and by picture alone something like SAW looks allot better. When it comes down to riding them it is obvious that the track layout on N&A is better though because the track just feels right from start to end.
For all we know you could be right (It is Intamin and not B&M) but maybe this ride is a SW for a reason.[/quote]

Im afraid i disagree, nemesis's layout is specially suited to its area which is the hole, if that hole wasnt there then you wouldn't put the nemesis layout on flat ground, i think with coaster layouts you have to take into account the surroundings that the designers have to work with and 99% of the time they make good use of the space given, but with Sw6 i think that soo much more could have been but thats just me. Personally for me no amount of amazing theming can put a ride with a poor or average layout into Secret weapon quality because the backbone of any rollercoaster is the layout and if a certain standard is not met then for me its not going to be Sw6 quality never mind world class and i think SW6 is relying heavily on theming which i find a tad annoying. I also agree that people are sugar coating the layout and also the building size when there giving there opinion on it because when i saw it in person i didn't exactly say wow it was just "meh" and the building itself is not massive, its large for Alton Towers but its nothing to start screaming about!
WE ARE ALL WITNESSESS
 
User avatar
Javs
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 716
Joined: April 2004
Location: Southern UK

Re: SW6 Ride & Construction discussion.

Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:50 am

"Trixz" wrote:
Personally for me no amount of amazing theming can put a ride with a poor or average layout into Secret weapon quality because the backbone of any rollercoaster is the layout and if a certain standard is not met then for me its not going to be Sw6 quality never mind world class and i think SW6 is relying heavily on theming which i find a tad annoying.


Well Oblivion has possibly the dullest layout of any SW in the park. It is not neccessarily the layout but the elements involved. Yes SW6's track does not look very substantial, but some of the elements that are present, including whatever happens in the building will all add up. There is so much more potential than simply how the track looks. Think outside the box!
 
User avatar
Nightfall
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 2730
Joined: September 2009
Location: Cambridge

Re: SW6 Ride & Construction discussion.

Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:39 pm

(I suppose using Nemesis was a bad example but i didn't want to single out Air (again). I wouldn’t say Oblivions layout is dull, just simple).

Moving on, Trixz has a very good point.
The layout is crucial and if the ride doesn’t feel right (Which is my biggest fear) then it won't be like the other Secret Weapons.

Good scenery matters but it’s the all round experience that counts. SW6 could be trying to do too much.

Take oblivion, It's just a drop and you could rate it say 8/10.
SW6 is a forest section + an indoor section + a good theme. Maybe you would give each section a mark for example 4/10. That doesn’t mean because the ride does so much it gets 12/10, it just gets 4+4+4/10 which could equal a big ride that is just mediocre all the way through.
(not that all the numbers were randomly made up to try proving my point)

Yes I will agree that the scale of the project wasn't as big as I hoped when I visited the park but I don't just like big rides and if SW6 is designed well [-o< it could still live up to its project name.

Anyone else think that Intamin mostly seem very similar the minute. Ex. Drop ~270 degree turn and then a few small hills.
Not the best of signs when everything feels the same.
ImageImage
 
bushboy2

Re: SW6 Ride & Construction discussion.

Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:59 pm

Stop moaning, the lot of you. It's pathetic.

Remember what coaster this is replacing. Corkscrew. A family coaster. It's not supposed to be a major thrill ride. It's supposed to be an experience that everyone can enjoy. The forest section will be fast and thrilling but that's not what this coaster is about.

Think about it like Hex. Any park can drop in a Vekoma Mad house with little thought or theme and give the exact same ride as Hex. The difference is that Hex has a well thought out story and atmosphere to make the ride something special. Compare Hex and the Mad House at Blackpool. They are incomparable even thought they are the same ride.

I think Alton Towers have possibly confused the enthusiasts by branding the coaster as SW6. if you are hoping for another Nemesis, you will be sorely disappointed. We will, however, be getting a good, re-ridable coaster.
 
User avatar
adsyrah
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 346
Joined: October 2005
Location: Manchester
Contact:

Re: SW6 Ride & Construction discussion.

Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:17 pm

I couldn't agree more, bushboy2.

The track layout tells you very little about the actual ride experience and noone knows what teh back story for this ride will be, so there's no point in shooting the ride down before you've even ridden it!

That said, it's a replacement for Corkscrew so should be hitting that level of thrill. Corkscrew was obviously not the most intense ride in the park, but still packed quite a punch. So I'd expect SW6 to be thrilling enough to put off more timid park visitors from riding it but nowhere near as intense as Nemesis or Oblivion.
Image
 
Chris W
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 3328
Joined: July 2007
Location: Liverpool

Re: SW6 Ride & Construction discussion.

Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:33 pm

Personally, I believe that SW6 should be aiming itself as the 5th most extreme rollercoaster at Alton Towers. (Below: Nemesis, Oblivion, Rita and Air but ahead of Spinball Whizzer, RMT and The Beastie)

People are always going to make comparisons with the previous Secret Weapons even though this is going to be a totally different ride from the others. (So its totally unfair to make comparisons, especially before its even opened)

I'm a firm believer that until you have experienced the ride there shouldn't be any negativity, unless its justified. (Of course, freedom of speech etc. etc)

We won't know what the actual ride experience will be like until March 2010, still around 130 days away. Its going to be a loooooooong winter...
Image
Image
 
Trixz
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 127
Joined: August 2008

Re: SW6 Ride & Construction discussion.

Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:45 pm

[quote="bushboy2"]Stop moaning, the lot of you. It's pathetic.

Urm this is a forum which is made for discussion and opinions and all i did was give my opinion which i clearly stated in my post because i knew someone wouldnt like what i had to say and would come out with a comment like that.

I simply think that there is a mininum quality level with the actual basic layout of the track which needs to be met that will go along with other aspects to create a secret weapon package that is all .I really dont see what is wrong with expecting a certain level of quality. And i know i havent riden this ride yet but that is the impression i get from seeing the ride for myself multiple times and in the wooded section.
WE ARE ALL WITNESSESS
 
User avatar
Richard.N
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 7
Joined: November 2009
Location: Eccleshall, Stafford
Contact:

Re: SW6 Ride & Construction discussion.

Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:20 pm

For those that are intrested, Heres some a link to some photos which i took from Today - Friday 6th November.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
Richard Nicholls
Alton Towers Database
 
User avatar
Jimsmells
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 69
Joined: August 2009
Location: Bristol

Re: SW6 Ride & Construction discussion.

Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:38 pm

Wow some of those pictures do show that the station building is big. I didn't believe when people said it looked bigger in the flesh (or should that be plywood ) but I can see it now.
Would you like to play a game of Mel Gibson\'s safari?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 132 guests