UK theme parks from another point of view!

AWTSW90
TT Member
TT Member

Re: SW6 / Thirteen - Ride & Construction discussion.

Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:38 am

In my opinion, that would be quite a good design for a 'cursed' rita train :P
Not sure I like the cartoony look for Thirteen, but obviously it's not going to be accurate.

lily♥evie
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:55 am

All i can say is :clap: to the marketing team at Alton Towers! What a great use of the elements to get the conversation flowing again and to get the media interested!

The closer it gets the more excited i am! Roll on March 8-[
LILY♥EVIE

Wes
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:57 am

Gayest builders known to man kind.

Only at the Alton Towers Resort 2010.

adsyrah
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:04 pm

I'm sure I'll get egg on my face for saying this...

I'm hoping that the snow car is a pretty close representation of the ride car - purely because it's a brilliant way to show people what the car will look like without actually showing the car!

Blatantly, the sculpture was made by a professional sculptor (it's far too well made not to be) so why is it silly to assume it's not a good likeness to the ride train? At least the first carriage?

And.
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:11 pm

"adsyrah" wrote:
I'm sure I'll get egg on my face for saying this...

I'm hoping that the snow car is a pretty close representation of the ride car - purely because it's a brilliant way to show people what the car will look like without actually showing the car!

Blatantly, the sculpture was made by a professional sculptor (it's far too well made not to be) so why is it silly to assume it's not a good likeness to the ride train? At least the first carriage?

I doubt it's an accurate representation of what the actual car will look like. It's just a rollercoaster car made out of snow to drum up some publicity.

And it worked.

As for who sculpted it... possibly somebody from the Merlin Studios?

Javs
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:29 pm

Well at first I thought any connection between this snow coaster and Th13teen's coaster was ridiculous. Now I am not so sure. These guys will know what the coaster trains look like and may have modelled this on the design. Not going to be an exact replica, but I think we could reasonably assume they will look very similar.

DiogoJ42

Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:31 pm

"wez87" wrote:
I wouldn't really like lap restraints...I don't feel as safe in the as I do over-head ones...Waaaaa can't wait for the ride to open...This crypt thing has been taunting me for ages! lool That snow car was really well done whoever did it though :clap:

If it's a simple metal bar (like the RMT) I can see where you are coming from. But a proper restraint that fits snugly over your lap (like B&M hypers) would be ideal for a ride like this.

Martyj
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:32 pm

I find it quite interesting that they chose to put it right in position with Spinball Whizzer's repaint clearly shown in the background.

Nightfall
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:46 pm

I see the marketing ploy. They put all the snow images on different major newspapers for enthusiasts to find and now they have placed them all on the Flikr page. Very cleaver!

As for who made it I guaranty its been made in a studio or as a rendered CAD image. The snow is two white to have been made using fallen snow and some of the snow is levitating above the track at the bottom. The 2nd picture also shows the actual attempted in the background (The bit that looks like the second row of seats).

I’m sure it’s not an actual representation of the carts as it looks a lot like a "Dennis the Menace" cartoon (Just how most people imagine a roller coaster).

Edit: (below) Good point Diogoj42 but I get the felling that they are standing around something that isn't actually there. Using markers to predict its position.
Last edited by Nightfall on Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage

DiogoJ42

Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:50 pm

It could be carved out of polystyrene.

bradpeet
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:27 pm

"Darren" wrote:
Alton Towers have added more pictures of the snow coaster to their Flickr site:

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/altontowersresort/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]http://www.flickr.com/photos/altontowersresort/[/url]

I got the impression that one guy is actually sat on the seat here, and the one next to him is crouching down next to the 'car' to give the impression of being sat in it. This is compatible with a snow sculpture, in that it is unlikely there would actually be any leg room. (Unlike in a real car, the front of this will be solid). However, this is also consistent with the theory of the 'construction workers' posing with markers and the car photographically added later.

Incidentally, I think these are much more likely to be professional models than real construction workers. Either that, or they have some unusually good looking guys working there ;)

Vik
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:30 pm

As Astrodan mentioned a few pages back, this isn't a representation of the actual trains, it is just marketing. Infact if anything, it is a representation of a Corkscrew train, bless her soul.

Also, can I ask a couple of people to keep an eye on their post quality, have had to edit a number of posts due to rather poor post quality. Though it is not meant to be an english exam or anything, it wouldn't hurt to much to take some pride in our postings. Keeps things nice and tidy and saves us from having to get the dust pan and brush out. :D
Sent from my ZX81 via Time Travel

lily♥evie
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:29 pm

"bradpeet" wrote:
Incidentally, I think these are much more likely to be professional models than real construction workers. Either that, or they have some unusually good looking guys working there ;)

Where are you looking :?
LILY♥EVIE

Brett
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:32 pm

but would they go to so much effort to get 3 pics of a car made of snow?

can we go back to something more interesting :D

Jayne
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:41 pm

The snow coaster car was made by an ice sculptor - I found his pics of him making it on Twitter ([url=http://twitter.com/JoeBourton" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]http://twitter.com/JoeBourton[/url]) last night.

From his tweets, he only got the confirmation to do it on Tuesday day time, heading to Alton on the same evening to get the snow ready.

10.33am on the 5th
Back at work! V cold - could almost turn off the freezers! Just got whif of v exciting job in the Midlands... Waiting for the confirmation!

6.16pm on the 5th
On our way to Alton Towers!

Followed by this picture in the early hours of the 6th [url=http://twitpic.com/wv6kq" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]http://twitpic.com/wv6kq[/url] with the tweet
Just finished making a giant brick of snow! Now, a quick break, and then the arty stuff begins!

Mid carve at 7am [url=http://twitpic.com/wvnz5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]http://twitpic.com/wvnz5[/url]

Finishing just after 9am yesterday [url=http://twitpic.com/ww15c" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]http://twitpic.com/ww15c[/url]

Very clever guy and very quick turn around. Fab idea by the marketing team too :)

Chris W
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:44 pm

Its a pretty nice marketing that they have jumped on the recent weather than has hit the UK.
The snow track isn't a very good representation of the actual track! :P
I presumed that it was created on a computer but Joe Bourton did a pretty nice job. Well done.

I presume that construction will have slowed dramatically, or even stopped, due to the snow lately. If the weather continues for a number of weeks its possible that the project could fall behind schedule.

Vik
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:50 pm

I'm fairly certain that weather conditions would of been factored in to some degree. Weather conditions and temperatures in that area are often worse anyway during the winter months than those we would see on lower ground.
Sent from my ZX81 via Time Travel

Darren
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:52 pm

"Disco Ball" wrote:
I presume that construction will have slowed dramatically, or even stopped, due to the snow lately. If the weather continues for a number of weeks its possible that the project could fall behind schedule.

From those pictures, it does show that work is carrying on, but probably at a much slower pace. When I was at the resort just before Christmas (just after that heavy snow storm), work at the site was carrying on at full pace in the snow. I don't think they can stop or fall behind; too much lies on it opening on time.

Kaz
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:57 pm

ncidentally, I think these are much more likely to be professional models than real construction workers. Either that, or they have some unusually good looking guys working there

Please tell me that was a joke.

Brett
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:03 pm

"Kaz" wrote:
ncidentally, I think these are much more likely to be professional models than real construction workers. Either that, or they have some unusually good looking guys working there

Please tell me that was a joke.

HAHAHA! its possible he wasn't ;)

but its nice to see alton doing some fun stuff and playing around with there marketing options :D