UK theme parks from another point of view!

 
Bote
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 1819
Joined: August 2009
Location: In the hall of the mountain king
Contact:

Re: SW6 / Thirteen - Ride & Construction discussion.

Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:36 pm

The building actually looks incredible. I can see that it will be like Nemesis, and that the themeing will become enhanced with age, after it has been beaten a bit by the elements.
Image
Image
 
MattH

Re: SW6 / Thirteen - Ride & Construction discussion.

Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:31 pm

Nemesis is too based on the alien more though, alton need to be careful not to theme the building too much, i know they probably have a lot of money to waste but it could be used to make the ride even better than normal, so they can do what they want to the building, as long as they concentrate on the ride more than the rest.
Last edited by MattH on Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
Blaze

Re: SW6 / Thirteen - Ride & Construction discussion.

Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:39 pm

"Javs""][quote=""Sam!" wrote:
Wow, the whole thing looks absolutely stunning! I love the tree wrapping around the station and the wraith. Even though it's obviously not made of stone the building has quite an authentic and 'solid' look, unlike say, Charlie's frontage.


Actually Sam, if you look at this photo:

Image

You can see the real stone blocks! They appear to be building it from the top down, so my guess is that they are special themed bricks that are fixed to the buildings facia.[/quote]

You can see that they are not using bricks. You can see how thick the theming is looking at the bottom. The bricks are for the bottom, as we saw in earlier pictures. Remember around September at Coaster Corner there was a large wooden wall made to look like stone? That is the front of the tall side of the building. They are just using plywood with theming attached to it for most of the building. Still looks great, though, the material doesn't really matter.
 
MattH

Re: SW6 / Thirteen - Ride & Construction discussion.

Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:42 pm

"Blaze""][quote=""Javs""][quote=""Sam!" wrote:
Wow, the whole thing looks absolutely stunning! I love the tree wrapping around the station and the wraith. Even though it's obviously not made of stone the building has quite an authentic and 'solid' look, unlike say, Charlie's frontage.


Actually Sam, if you look at this photo:

Image

You can see the real stone blocks! They appear to be building it from the top down, so my guess is that they are special themed bricks that are fixed to the buildings facia.[/quote]

You can see that they are not using bricks. You can see how thick the theming is looking at the bottom. The bricks are for the bottom, as we saw in earlier pictures. Remember around September at Coaster Corner there was a large wooden wall made to look like stone? That is the front of the tall side of the building. They are just using plywood with theming attached to it for most of the building. Still looks great, though, the material doesn't really matter.[/quote]

after seeing this pic, i have to agree, AT are really being conscious on spending their money for the ride, and not so much on the theming, same old AT eh? :P
 
User avatar
cmpunk771
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 354
Joined: October 2009
Location: Weston-(NOT)super-Mare

Re: SW6 / Thirteen - Ride & Construction discussion.

Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:44 pm

Image

What door is that? Que or is that where the station comes out?
 
Blaze

Re: SW6 / Thirteen - Ride & Construction discussion.

Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:03 pm

According to the plans, it is the exit or disabled entrance.
 
C-Dog
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 44
Joined: September 2009

Re: SW6 / Thirteen - Ride & Construction discussion.

Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:16 pm

Not wanting to be a moaning old codger but is there any need to repeatedly quote / copy the above picture with the castle door or whatever it is?

It's on this page 4 times now.
 
rightbackgranty
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 541
Joined: April 2005
Location: Stoke

Re: SW6 / Thirteen - Ride & Construction discussion.

Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:33 pm

"GothicAngel09" wrote:
After seeing this pic, i have to agree, AT are really being conscious on spending their money for the ride, and not so much on the theming, same old AT eh? :P


You weren't expecting them to build the building out of anything other than themed plywood were you? :shock: A building of this size would take months to complete in real stonework! And would be ridiculously expensive... But even still, themeing a building of this size would be expensive in terms of labour and material costs. I don't think that they're being too skimpy!

I think that the building looks fantastic right now. The people at Merlin Studio's need a round of applause I think - it looks like its been there as long as the Towers have been.
 
Maelstrom
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 449
Joined: May 2004

Re: SW6 / Thirteen - Ride & Construction discussion.

Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:59 pm

The building would be built the same way even if it was at a disney or Universal park. The ride looks like it will be the biggest themed ride sinse hex.
 
MattH

Re: SW6 / Thirteen - Ride & Construction discussion.

Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:12 pm

"rightbackgranty""][quote=""GothicAngel09" wrote:
After seeing this pic, i have to agree, AT are really being conscious on spending their money for the ride, and not so much on the theming, same old AT eh? :P


You weren't expecting them to build the building out of anything other than themed plywood were you? [/quote]

I wasnt actually, after seeing all the other ride buildings from the parks merlin own, which look fairly cheap, i wasnt expecting much in terms of the building.
 
User avatar
theflamingbrick
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 64
Joined: March 2008
Location: Norwich

Re: SW6 / Thirteen - Ride & Construction discussion.

Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:41 pm

"GothicAngel09" wrote:

I wasnt actually, after seeing all the other ride buildings from the parks merlin own, which look fairly cheap, i wasnt expecting much in terms of the building.


You have got to be kidding me!

Give Merlin some kind of respect. They could have just plonked a mesh of steel there and not themed it at all, at least they are willing to put some themeing on it and make the rider immersed in a fantasy. In my personal opinion I think they are doing a good job and the building looks very realistic considering it's made primarily from plywood. It would have made no difference to the building look if they construct it from block work apart from cost the project considerably more. I think you need to stop being an arrogant pessimist and be thankful for what they are providing.

Rant over :roll:
 
User avatar
Javs
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 716
Joined: April 2004
Location: Southern UK

Re: SW6 / Thirteen - Ride & Construction discussion.

Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:48 pm

I think that this theming is the best I have seen outside of Disney. Sure, this is on a smaller scale than a lot of the attractions that are built in a Disney park, but it is quality, not quantity and this is pure quality. Anyone that is disappointed with this needs a reality check.
 
User avatar
Jayne
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 17
Joined: March 2005
Location: Cheshire

Re: SW6 / Thirteen - Ride & Construction discussion.

Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:55 pm

"Javs" wrote:
I think that this theming is the best I have seen outside of Disney.


[Sorry to be off topic here but...] You've not seen the new Universal Singapore photos then?
Image
Image

Saying that, I still like the look of Th13teen's theming and can't wait to see it all finished.
 
User avatar
furie
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 1068
Joined: October 2007
Location: Stafford
Contact:

Re: SW6 / Thirteen - Ride & Construction discussion.

Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:59 pm

I think it's "okay" It's very good for UK theming, but (certainly at the moment) it's not brilliant.

Seen better at a few parks (again, not the UK - though the Castle around The Dragon at Legoland is awesome, as is the Burger King and area at Chessington and may be equal). So yeah, it's good, but it's not brilliant.

Proof of the pudding is in the eating though. I think that actually seeing it in real life and getting to see what it's really like up close, and from the inside - that's when you can really decide on how good it is.

At the moment, 8/10.
If you\'ve got a problem, stuff a worm in it!
Image
Image
Come and Visit the Family_Furie family review site here
 
User avatar
theflamingbrick
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 64
Joined: March 2008
Location: Norwich

Re: SW6 / Thirteen - Ride & Construction discussion.

Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:07 pm

"furie" wrote:
I think it's "okay" It's very good for UK theming, but (certainly at the moment) it's not brilliant.

Seen better at a few parks (again, not the UK - though the Castle around The Dragon at Legoland is awesome, as is the Burger King and area at Chessington and may be equal). So yeah, it's good, but it's not brilliant.

Proof of the pudding is in the eating though. I think that actually seeing it in real life and getting to see what it's really like up close, and from the inside - that's when you can really decide on how good it is.

At the moment, 8/10.


I totally agree. In terms of quality for Britain I believe it's on par with being the best. You can never really compare it to disney or universal etc as they have the money and the imagineers and lets face it, they like putting that extra detail in that we are not likely to spot. Plus I think this ride will bring in its beauty with age. Once there are more shrubs and trees and everything is overgrown (and the building is weathered) this ride will be in its element!
 
Bakesss
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 26
Joined: January 2010
Location: North Wales

Re: SW6 / Thirteen - Ride & Construction discussion.

Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:33 pm

"theflamingbrick""][quote=""furie" wrote:
I think it's "okay" It's very good for UK theming, but (certainly at the moment) it's not brilliant.

Seen better at a few parks (again, not the UK - though the Castle around The Dragon at Legoland is awesome, as is the Burger King and area at Chessington and may be equal). So yeah, it's good, but it's not brilliant.

Proof of the pudding is in the eating though. I think that actually seeing it in real life and getting to see what it's really like up close, and from the inside - that's when you can really decide on how good it is.

At the moment, 8/10.


I totally agree. In terms of quality for Britain I believe it's on par with being the best. You can never really compare it to disney or universal etc as they have the money and the imagineers and lets face it, they like putting that extra detail in that we are not likely to spot. Plus I think this ride will bring in its beauty with age. Once there are more shrubs and trees and everything is overgrown (and the building is weathered) this ride will be in its element![/quote]


Too true mate. Universal and Disney can throw their money around (Off topic but that castle at Universal singapore is gonna peeeeeeve disney off!) like nobody's business. I think maybe its time to take a step back and look how poorly done RITA was, then have a look at the effort that's gone into this. Ive got a feeling it's a statement of intent as to where Alton want to go in the next ten years. Back to the day's of nemesis when theming was central to the experience. And while theyll never have the money of Universal or Disney, what they do have is a a great team with a great imagination, so good on them.
 
MattH

Re: SW6 / Thirteen - Ride & Construction discussion.

Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:18 pm

"theflamingbrick" wrote:

You have got to be kidding me!

Give Merlin some kind of respect. They could have just plonked a mesh of steel there and not themed it at all, at least they are willing to put some themeing on it and make the rider immersed in a fantasy. In my personal opinion I think they are doing a good job and the building looks very realistic considering it's made primarily from plywood. It would have made no difference to the building look if they construct it from block work apart from cost the project considerably more. I think you need to stop being an arrogant pessimist and be thankful for what they are providing.

Rant over :roll:


I didnt say i didnt like it, i respect merlin entirely, and im excited on the ride altogether, its just that im more interested in the actual ride, not so much the theme, unless it can scare me witless, which it probs will, until then, im still waiting to see something good in the theming besides the tree, which is the best part of the theming so far imo :P
 
coasterdude_1
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 27
Joined: September 2004

Re: SW6 / Thirteen - Ride & Construction discussion.

Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:25 pm

It seems as if some people on here would only be happy if the station was in fact a real abandoned church built out of millennium old marble.

Seriously guys?

It's all very well saying 'oh, its gonna be awful because it is built out on plyboard etc etc'

So is the the majority of Hogwarts at IOA and many of the Disney structures.

Why? Cost, weight, plyboard with fibreglass (or other fronting) is far more flexible than working with brick, speed of construction (i'd rather see it built in 6 months, than take a year to construct just the station) and a variety of other factors.

So, can we please stop talking about construction materials and complaining- because very rarely is themeing built of anything else. I suggest that the only difference between Disney and Alton in themeing is the quantity of it... the quality has few discernable differences to be honest.
 
MattH

Re: SW6 / Thirteen - Ride & Construction discussion.

Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:33 pm

i agree, this area is for 'Ride & Construction' discussion, i think it should stay that way, and the only thing that should be discussed on here is the actual ride construction, and what we want to see on the ride itself

Could the admin make a specialised theming area so it could be discussed there?

---EDIT---

I have found the theming area already, so one isnt needed, all theming should be discussed in viewtopic.php?f=68&t=23756 :D
 
AstroDan

Re: SW6 / Thirteen - Ride & Construction discussion.

Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:49 pm

Even though, based on current pictures, I have seen better theming at several other parks - I am in no way dissapointed so far. I do not expect Alton Towers to theme to the level of parks under the Disney umbrella, Universal umbrella, some of the German parks or other.

For the UK, this looks like it will be the best or one of the top handful of themed coaster experiences. It will be the best themed coaster in the park and for that, I am extremely happy even before we get to the actual ride.

:D

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 183 guests