UK theme parks from another point of view!

Chris W
TT Member
TT Member

Re: SW6 / Thirteen - Ride & Construction discussion

Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:30 pm

I think it will depend if the gardens are open, or not, and if that path is blocked off.

I was thinking that it might just be the standard fences blocking off the entrance to UG Land, in which case photos would be able to be taken without crossing into any restricted areas.

Maybe someone who was there this weekend could enlighten us.

Dormiens-Dave

Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:38 pm

From various points throughout the area you can see:

Lift hill (obviously)
    Bits of First turn
    First airtime hill
    Second lift hill
    transfer track back into station

The train takes a steady pace on first lift hill, goes quite fast over first airtime hill and from the time it took to leave the lift hill and get to the second lift hill (about 20 seconds ish) you can guess it goes through the rest of the course pretty nippy. It zips over the second lift hill at a good speed and enters the building at a good pace.

Its hard to say how long your in the building for as sometimes it was over two minutes and sometimes shorter, i would guess that at the moment they are running the ride manually so the train isn't starting the secret element straight away as a two minute period inside the building would make for a terrible throughput.

Also when me Russell and Rob watched for a while the train seemed to leave the transfer track at quite a pace but later when everyone else came along it had slowed down, so they are probably still fiddling with speeds and the like.

I would not advise anyone to try and get into any part of the area that is restricted, it will only lead alton to restrict the view even further and give enthusiasts a bad name.

SheikhSam
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:52 pm

"buffaloBen""][quote=""RUBIX-KUBE" wrote:
not trying to sound greedy, but if anyones at the resort tomorow, please try to get some film of the ride in the forest, the best place is burger kings left fire exit, anyone know if you can still see through the windows? eg. have they been blacked out? it will be much appriciated, :D

I don't no if you mean inside burger king but thats closed.

If you stand on the fence outside burger king you could get a few good clips and snaps but nothing major, although we would be able to see how fast it goes and its genral performance.[/quote]

oh ok :( i'd got some film of the entire drop whilst burger king was still open back in december, it was only showing the track, first airtime hill, and the track going off further into the woods, i can utube it if anyone wants to see it :D

Rollercoaster5000
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:24 pm

Go on then Rubix, youtube it :D lol.
yeh not worth bothering, to be honest theres not alot to see what we all want to see is the secret element, unfortunatley we all have to wait till 20th march
All I want to see is some test footage, we don't want to know what the world first element is until opening day.
Last edited by Rollercoaster5000 on Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SheikhSam
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:26 pm

ok :D sorry the camera was flat :evil: , please don't expect it to be anything great :(

SheikhSam
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:26 pm

Here you go! Please note there's no footage of the ride testing its just the track and some annoyingly placed trees.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOcmRobyb7U

Sorry all its 18 seconds, it was meant to be uploaded when I got back, probably would have been more interesting back then. :(
Oh well, I'd got some funny looks when I was filming. :twisted: At the time it wasn't anything we'd never seen, it probably would have been better. Can't beleive 61 views in just 20 minutes :D
Last edited by SheikhSam on Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dormiens-Dave

Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:32 pm

"Blaze" wrote:
I'm surprised there has been no Flickr updates, I would have thought that it was time to upload some more, but now I don't think they will again now, or atleast until after half term.

From the look of things on Saturday and Sunday very little external theming has been done since the last update, i think work has mainly focused on getting the ride running, hopefully if thats all sorted then the next few weeks should see the external aspects of the ride theme completed.

This is probably why there has been no update

Blythy
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:20 am

"Dormiens-Dave""][quote=""Blaze" wrote:
I'm surprised there has been no Flickr updates, I would have thought that it was time to upload some more, but now I don't think they will again now, or atleast until after half term.

From the look of things on Saturday and Sunday very little external theming has been done since the last update, i think work has mainly focused on getting the ride running, hopefully if thats all sorted then the next few weeks should see the external aspects of the ride theme completed.

This is probably why there has been no update[/quote]

Yep, when something is clearly under construction, then photographs are ok.

At this stage, where we know that there's still a fair bit of themeing to do (such as the container that is the end of the track atm), it can harm the park's image if it's not looking like they're doing things properly. Also, there's probably a lot of testing going on atm, and there'll be a very close watch being kept on site because if some small failure occurs in testing, particularly with safety, the park will keep that under wraps. The safety image of the park can be easily compromised if a small and normal failure from the bedding in phase leaks out.

(by small, I can mean a set of brakes not working because they weren't correctly greased or something fairly minor but irritating. I.e. the reason why things get tested)

Ritadz
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:24 am

Th13teen pictures;

Rollercoaster5000
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:40 pm

Those pictures were posted on the papers a few months ago, but thanks for posting them anyway :D.

Anonymous

Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:27 pm

Is nobody else surprised at how much is still yet to be done in the remaining time?

I know budget differences make this a pretty illogical comparison, but if you look at this live construction feed of cedar point's new water ride then it just seems like Alton have left it until the last minute.

[url=http://www.cedarpoint.com/public/fun/webcams/webcam2.cfm?chip=3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]http://www.cedarpoint.com/public/fun/we ... cfm?chip=3[/url]

Cedar point doesn't open for another three months and everything you see there has literally been put up in the last week. Thirteen construction started relatively late considering it would have had a smaller workforce and the added element of a world's first, also it seemed to slow right down over the winter.

I can't believe they appear to be doing rudimentary tests (adjusting speeds ect.) and still have to add theming to the ride itself and the area and finish the skyride. They're also not going to be able to start a convincing media campaign without being able to show at least some of the rides themed areas.

Anyone else think they're behind schedule (or had a poorly planned schedule in the first place)?

Coaster Crazy Alex
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:50 pm

Yes, really high security...

This is the path at the start of the towers and up to the Ug Swinger and so on...
Jump a fence, through the mud and there you go! :lol:

Anyway, updates probably won't come until they have at least nearly finished most of the theming and the ride can make a full circuit without any hitches. They still have the indoor section to do. (E.G - The station and secret section) and make the shipping container look like a crypt... :roll:
Massive thanks to adzy for the signature and avatar!
Xbox Live - Blanddak1ller LFD2,FIFA10 and MW2 expert; feel free to add me!

Crofty

Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:20 pm

Please continue all discussion regarding SW6 contruction in the new topic Here.

Taa.
:D :D