UK theme parks from another point of view!

spike1911
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Scarefest: 16-31 October 2010

Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:14 pm

Couldnt they put a circus tent up on the lawn near the lake?

Mattia
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:23 pm

I'd prefer the park mazes to have a distinct theme relevant to an area. The mazes always have a link to a surrounding area so I feel the circus could just be a bit strange and weird slap bang in the middle of the lawn. However, move it to the big top and you have a whole new outlook and a whole host of ideas to play with. Context is everything with these mazes and Alton do it well, that's what I love about them.

They will most probably keep it in the same place as field of 1000 screams. There were quite a few complaints about noise last year from the field, but with this new one definitely being inside I can see there being no problem. :)

Everything can be classed as theatre...even you are classed as theatre.

spike1911
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:28 pm

This could be an ambitious idea but they could put up a big top on the lawn and also a few fair ground rides like waltzers etc and give it all like a spooky abandoned look with live actors wandering and freak show acts.

buffaloBen
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:50 pm

I think the Circus maze would be the best halloween attraction towers have done in a long time if they got it right, however with the fireworks and other events i don't think they would go all out on it, so they would be better leaving it for another year when they could spend some time and quality into it.
Not a rushed up marquee with little effort.

They would need to create the atmosphere that you are entering an abonded/spooky circus thats in the middle of know where.
Thease images are the thing im talking about that you could relate to. Heck clowns are high on the list of fear for the population. With the right tech done and costumes and of course the layout and theming intertior and exterior would have to be perfect.

Would love for the next maze to be simerlair to this style.

cmpunk771
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:13 pm

^ Great Pics!

TBH i could see 1 Free maze and 3 paid ones but with one on park this time.

I would love to see the Black Hole used this time, Has anyone seen any movement around there?

Mattia
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:39 pm

"spike1911" wrote:
This could be an ambitious idea but they could put up a big top on the lawn and also a few fair ground rides like waltzers etc and give it all like a spooky abandoned look with live actors wandering and freak show acts.

Judging on the little amount of money Alton have for scarefest, their target market, the location (the lake, kids of all ages will have to see it) and already having a big top, sadly make this idea a little too unrealistic and too expensive for Alton.

There will never be a paid for maze in the park, all attractions come as part of your ticket. The only money contribution to an attraction in the park is through fastrack. :)

mats
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:14 pm

"Mattia" wrote:
There will never be a paid for maze in the park, all attractions come as part of your ticket. The only money contribution to an attraction in the park is through fastrack. :) [/color]

Hhm remember Splashkats though or whatever those pay-per-play boats were called where Battle Galleons now stands :? :roll:

Splash Kart - thanks TT archive. :)
UK Park News - Your Dedicated Theme Park Resource
http://www.ukparknews.co.uk

Mattia
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:43 pm

I think you've misunderstood me, I mean it in scarefest terms. :) They won't charge for one park maze and pay for another as there is no logic behind it. They'll either both be pay-to-experience or both be free-to-experience. But they honestly won't be pay attractions so no-one needs to worry. :)

Tonka_UK
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:43 pm

"spike1911" wrote:
Its best to go midweek. Make sure you get front row on Nemesis around 8.30 :D

Why at 8:30?
and I'm going on the 31st, which falls on a sunday. :|

Mattia
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:05 pm

"Tonka_UK""][quote=""spike1911" wrote:
Its best to go midweek. Make sure you get front row on Nemesis around 8.30 :D

Why at 8:30?
and I'm going on the 31st, which falls on a sunday. :|[/quote]

Because they shut the front row queue earlier than the main queue.

And 31st will be busier than mid week but expect the 30th to be even busier. Just plan well and enjoy yourself.

:)

PeteB
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:56 am

Still no official announcement on Scarefest yet is there, with regards to lineups? On that note I have heard 2 rumours recently, but I'm not sure if I believe either of them so take them as you want.

1. FO1KS is being moved - is anyone checking the areas around the hotel to see if they have planted any new corn?

2. Scarefest won't return this year, at least not as we know it, due to budget cuts there may only be decorations put up around the park. - I'll be seriously miffed if that happens.

Rob L
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:06 am

"PeteB" wrote:
Still no official announcement on Scarefest yet is there, with regards to lineups? On that note I have heard 2 rumours recently, but I'm not sure if I believe either of them so take them as you want.

1. FO1KS is being moved - is anyone checking the areas around the hotel to see if they have planted any new corn?

2. Scarefest won't return this year, at least not as we know it, due to budget cuts there may only be decorations put up around the park. - I'll be seriously miffed if that happens.

I was up around the hotels the other week, where the Field has been, and no where around there has any signs of planting, and I think with advertising in the form of posters around the park, Scarefest will definitely be returning this year, although it would be nice to see Towers put something about it on their website.

PeteB
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:54 am

"Rob" wrote:
I was up around the hotels the other week, where the Field has been, and no where around there has any signs of planting

Could be in a hidden place though, remember where they stashed the boiler house tent? Though I suppose they could always switch it from a Field to a Forest?

Plenty of woodland at the back of the hotels for a Th13teen styled maze.

DanB
TT Member
TT Member

Scarefest: 16-31 October 2010

Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:20 am

I have heard quite a few rumours that the field won't be returning.

When do they normally announce the lineup?

Adam
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:04 am

Pretty much confirmed that Field is no more this year. But there is defiantly a replacement I hear.

Sure they will announce the line up shortly...
"It would be spiteful to put Jellyfish in a trifle..."

Khalichanan
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:58 pm

As someone who knows a little bit about farming, the land you grow corn/maize on must either be heavily supplemented with nutrients (which bearing in mind costs a lot of money, and the field is not really big enough to make a decent crop out of either) or be left fallow for at least one year and sometimes allow livestock on it, if you want to continually use it for the same crop.
Now I cannot see them allowing livestock on it, if I'm honest!
There has also been a field there for 3 years at least, so its only natural that this year or the next we'll be seeing the end of it, at least for the time being. It's literally impossible to grow any crop on and if they did decide to grow it this year, it would be awful.

In all honesty though I'm not that bothered. The idea is good but its been the same idea for the past three years and it would be nice to see some fresh innovations appear. There seems to be repeated interest in a clown/circus thing, which sounds completely awesome if I'm honest.

The only drawback is, is if they can be bothered to get a tent big enough or whether or not to use the Black Hole. Would the black hole, in its current state, pass Health & Safety? These are all things AT has to consider.
On top of this there's also the fact that a circus tent, right next to the most uncircus-y themed place in the park. However I do believe it was Festival Park before and was much more circus/fairground before. They could tie it into that, maybe saying they uncovered this old attraction of Festival Park that was long forgotten about. A bit Th13teen, I know, but it could work, and its the only way I can really see the themes being integrated. Because otherwise it would look a bit weird.

Anyway, really excited for this years scarefest, it's my favourite time to go! XD

Dormiens-Dave

Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:15 pm

The issue is they will not want Pay per Play scarefest attractions inside the park, they always bang on about the ticket price getting you everything. So they will need a hotels maze replacement for this year. And the fantabulous rumour mill has regularly stated this is likely a Clown theme jobby.

Now i know they have considered adding an extra Scare maze inside the blackhole tent but there where safety and cost issues i think with this. I think if it wasn't for the fireworks we may have seen that this year but the development costs for a new maze have probably gone into the fireworks.

This year they will likely play safe and see if the fireworks and scarefest can pay for themselves, if they prove that they can then they may develop both ideas further

Chris W
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:34 pm

Last years press release came out on the 2nd July.
The website was updated with basic description on the 26th of June.

The 2008 press release was posted on the 8th July.

Things should all be revealed in the next month.
We're just a bit more in the dark than usual this year, Haunted Attractions don't seem to have the same sources at the park like that had in 2007/2008 and usually the corn has started growing by now.

PeteB
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:40 am

"kamfira" wrote:
As someone who knows a little bit about farming, the land you grow corn/maize on must either be heavily supplemented with nutrients (which bearing in mind costs a lot of money, and the field is not really big enough to make a decent crop out of either) or be left fallow for at least one year and sometimes allow livestock on it, if you want to continually use it for the same crop.
Now I cannot see them allowing livestock on it, if I'm honest!
There has also been a field there for 3 years at least, so its only natural that this year or the next we'll be seeing the end of it, at least for the time being. It's literally impossible to grow any crop on and if they did decide to grow it this year, it would be awful.

I definately agree with that, and to be honest I thought only the first years crop (2007) was decent enough for the attraction. The corn for the last 2 years seemed a bit poor and certainly not tall enough.

I still think they could do a scare maze in a forest, blair witch style. That would be incredible. Plus the all the props they invested in for last year could be recycled.

Thats another thing that bothers me about Scarefest, its the investment in new attractions. Now we all love new stuff but if they'd stuck to the same old things the money could go towards park wide theming and more actors. Take a look at TOTT last year, that was 90% new equipment which must have cost a hell of alot to put together, and i still think there was at least 1 more year to be had out of the bloodfest banquet theme.

Mattia
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:30 am

See, I think that TOTT's refresh was needed. I'm glad they spent what they did on it because it really really showed and it made it the maze it deserved to be. This year though, the focus will be on this third maze. I reckon both TOTT and Boiler will barely change at all.

The way the rotas work at the moment means you'll either get swarms of actors or noticeably fewer actors. This was definitely improved last year but I think the entire setup needs a shake up. They should start pushing the boat out in terms of numbers as the resort really does need more actors than the amount it has now.

Scarefest is still a maturing and experimental event. I'd rather they got the balance of attractions on park and on resort; a decent balance to cater for the whole family; and a stronger, wider range of attractions which we've seen slowly cut down over the last few seasons all perfected before anything else. Once they get this right then I think they can be more daring and tackle full park experience like park-wide audio, ambience, actors and themeing.