UK theme parks from another point of view!

Vik
TT Member
TT Member

Re: The Ultimate Fireworks: 5-7 November 2010

Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:55 am

An Article, (I think from Saturday) on the Fireworks in The Sentinel can be found Here

FIREWORKS made an explosive return to Alton Towers following a four-year absence as thousands flocked to the weekend spectacular.

The theme park ditched the annual show in 2007 after being forced to scale the display down following a long-running court case over the noise.

But it made a triumphant return yesterday as part of a three-day-show which also marks the grand finale of the attraction's 30th anniversary.

Music from the past three decades was pumped out during a lively pre-show that was followed by a fireworks display lasting almost 25 minutes.

Ian Crabbe, divisional director of the Alton Towers Resort, said: "The breathtaking display is a fitting way to celebrate the ultimate year for us and is sure to dazzle our guests."

Visitors at the attraction were also quick to praise the show.

George Fallows, aged 63, from Cheadle, said: "I'm glad it's back and I thought it was an excellent display."

Lewis Watkins, from Stoke, last came to the event when he was four.

The nine-year-old said: "The bit about the Thirteen ride was really good and I enjoyed the fireworks and lasers."

John Reed made the trip from Mansfield.

The 36-year-old father-of-two said: "It was worth the trip, the fireworks were really good."

The event courted controversy in 2005 when Farley residents Stephen and Suzanne Roper, who live 100 yards from the attraction's entrance, won a landmark case after claiming noise from the display was making their lives a misery.

The decision led to the show being downsized and eventually scrapped.

But its return has been welcomed by villagers and businesses in Alton.

Landlord of the Blacksmiths Arms in Alton Dennis Power said: "Anything that will bring people to the area is good for business, so we welcome it."

Ruth Franks, who runs the Beehive Bed and Breakfast, in Oakamoor, with husband Colin, said: "The moment the fireworks are announced we are fully booked straight away. People really enjoy them."

And Stella Heritage, aged 71, of Alton, said: "I have nothing against the fireworks at all and I think it was a shame when they were stopped."

Councillor Tony Moult, a member of Alton Parish Council, said: "I think it's good news for the area that the fireworks have returned as it will help the local businesses."

The firework display will run today and tomorrow from 7pm until just after 7.20pm, with a pre-show at 6.40pm.

Quite a positive article for once.

Sunday nights fireworks were very good, certainly on par with Saturdays. All in all a great event.

There did seem issues with getting out of the car parks last night though. Unlike Saturday,, when all 3 lanes were being used, with lane 3 traffic exiting through a side gate on to Wooton Lane, only two lanes were being used, and the barriers were down, unlike Saturday where they were left open. Whilst getting out of the main car park (A,B,C), wasn't that bad, if you were unfortunate enough to be in the Air Car Park or Hotels car park it was taking well over an hour to get to the main gates during the busy leaving period of 8-10pm.
Sent from my ZX81 via Time Travel

Badgy
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:45 pm

"pillsburyb" wrote:
Basshunter, I can't remember hearing basshunter

thats cos I was thinking of something else whilst typing and typed in the wrong word, when I meant to say Darude. Now edited. Thanks.
WANTED - Schroedingers Cat - Dead or Alive!

Jordan

Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:08 pm

"Vik" wrote:
An Article, (I think from Saturday) on the Fireworks in The Sentinel can be found Here

From the image caption (emphasis added):

DAZZLING: The Alton Towers firework display above the lake and castle. Picture: Malcolm Hart

#-o

Stern John
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:36 pm

DAZZLING: The Alton Towers firework display above the lake and castle. Picture: Malcolm Hart

#-o
What's the problem, I've heard John Wardley refer to it as a castle! :wink:

Another thing about Saturday was getting out of the park via Wootton Lane was one of the scariest rides I've been on all year! What with Breakdown trucks trying to get up the road against the flow of traffic and taxi drivers trying to kill me!

[Archive]

Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:43 pm

I've heard John Wardley refer to it as a castle!
Well then, John Wardley is WRONG! :shock:

I must say this really did look like a fantastic event and a spectacular ending to a spectacular season. Congratulations to everybody who made this year great! :D

JoshM

Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:01 pm

Don't get me started with Alton Towers is a castle. I spent the whole of my drama lesson arguing about Alton Towers being castle. He thinks its a bloody castle and he calls himself an enthusiast :x I'm not even going to mention the other stuff he has said about Alton Towers that would hurt many of our enthusiasts hearts.

starbugger1303
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:04 pm

A quick question, was the fireworks being filmed because I'm sure I saw a camera moving down the other side of the fence. :?

Adam
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:22 pm

Yes the show was being filmed by multiple cameras around the resort.
"It would be spiteful to put Jellyfish in a trifle..."

starbugger1303
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:26 pm

NickT04
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:03 pm

".Adam" wrote:
Yes the show was being filmed by multiple cameras around the resort.

I filmed it Saturday night and soon realised that my 7 year old camera wasn't as good as it once was :D

Jordan

Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:16 pm

The fireworks on Sunday were amazing, and blew any display I've ever seen out of the water. I definitely preferred the atmospheric Th13teen parts to the 'decades' section, but it was all very well done and enjoyable to watch, especially the ITHOTMK finale. I thought the lasers were used really effectively and really created atmosphere at the beginning. :clap:

themealgang
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:24 pm

The display was amazing. I feel it beat Disney standards in parts, so I feel it was 100% successful. :clap:
I think it's pretty harsh is people go and criticise the song choices for the display. The opening and ending were amazing and linked in with the resort. The middle too was, I thought spectcular and created a great atmosphere!
10/10 Alton! Please bring it back next year!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Rollercoaster5000
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:28 pm

I'm very upset that I missed this. It looked like a fantastic display, I know they're considering bringing back next year so let's hope that it happens.

Chris W
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:59 pm

From TT News:

For those of you not lucky enough to be at the The Ultimate Fireworks 2010 you can now view the fantastic display here on TowersTimes.

The Fireworks event made its return this year after a short break, the last display was Electric Towers in 2006. But to celebrate the opening of Th13teen and the resort's 30th birthday the fireworks made a welcome return. There are also rumours suggesting another Fireworks event scheduled for the end of 2011 (subject to review).

Shot over Friday and Saturday night, our videos can be found via the links below. Don't forget to choose the HD option!

Part One - Th13teen
Part Two - Journey through 30 years of Music
Part Three - Finale/In The Hall of the Mountain King

NickT04
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:38 pm

Here is a public link to my Facebook album of my photos of the weekend:

[url=http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=260668&id=660601811&l=0244d9b923" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2 ... 0244d9b923[/url]

182 of the blighters, I hope you enjoy :)

DiogoJ42

Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:04 pm

Great vid, Chris! :D Thanks! I look forward to showing Kelpie when she gets back, so she can see just what she missed out on :P

JoshM

Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:05 pm

Thanks for uploading them Chris, i'm really gutted I was not able to see them but it was kind of my own fault, I have to go and see then next year. No questions asked.
Stupid public transport

audiobookman
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:12 pm

We were there sat and sun, and WOW they done an stella job,
In fact i would say they were the best fireworks display i've ever seen.

We were at the legoland display the week before with the kids and it was tainted in the end as it took us 3 hours to get out of the park (3hrs with 3 young tired ratty kids and not sure if there is enough diesel in the tank works wonders on how you feel about a day out ).
Luckily we stayed in the alton towers hotel over looking one of the over flow carparks, that park didn't clear until midnight, I really felt for the poor people stuck in that all that time.

We decided to leave early on Sunday because of the traffic, when the rides were being closed we went then. We had 3 fast track tickets unused and gave them to a few familys then went.

The staff was saying there was 32 thousand attendance on Sat, but i would have thought it was 4x that, the park was heaving.

I hope they do the same again, nemesis in the dark is mind blowing.

Well done All the staff there, a totally excellent display in not very easy work conditions.
We thank you!

ciaran
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:23 pm

Congrats to alton towers!
What a firework spectacular, considering they can only do 3 shows a year they really put there heart and soul into it!
The begining was an outstanding start with the th13teen countdown!
People slack of the songs but if you think about it, it went through the 3 decades of songs for 3 decades of rides!
The hall of the mountain king finale was the ultimate in fireworks and I thought it almost matched the marketing picture for the event!
The viewing area was used well but upon leaving was a nightmare! first they only made you go one way to the dark forest which slowed everything down and then the parking was just ridiculus but at least alton kept the park open to stop any unreal waiting times!
Overall a fantastic evening(s) and totaly worth missing scarefest for this year (unfortunatly I had to choose to go to scarefest or fireworks) I think I made the right choice!
The event definitly beat disney, port aventura and London new years eve fireworks!
Well done Alton towers!

Pennywise
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:16 pm

Can anybody confirm the full playlist (including pre-show soundtracks) would quite like to have it on my iPod.

So far I have The Exorcist, ITHOTMK & ABBA - Dancing Queen. Going to need help with the rest. :P