UK theme parks from another point of view!

Jon
TT Member
TT Member

Re: SW6 / Thirteen - Ride & Construction discussion Part 2

Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:39 pm

Wowza! How did you manage that, Wes?
Formerly "Dagoo"

CoasterCrazyChris
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:02 pm

"themealgang" wrote:
To be fair, I can't believe it is now less than THREE weeks untill we all get a chance to ride Thirteen; and we are still left in the dark about what is in that building! I can still rememeber in 2008 wondering what will replace good old corky and now, we finally get to see. Does anyone know what date the first ride will be taking place? Is it this week?

Did people know the secret about Oblivion three weeks before opening?

:?

Evostance
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:23 pm

"CoasterCrazyChris""][quote=""themealgang" wrote:
To be fair, I can't believe it is now less than THREE weeks untill we all get a chance to ride Thirteen; and we are still left in the dark about what is in that building! I can still rememeber in 2008 wondering what will replace good old corky and now, we finally get to see. Does anyone know what date the first ride will be taking place? Is it this week?

:?[/quote]

That might have been because there was a big vertical drop rollercoaster in the park that you could see from quite a way away..

SheikhSam
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:46 pm

"Evostance""] [quote=""CoasterCrazyChris" wrote:

That might have been because there was a big vertical drop rollercoaster in the park that you could see from quite a way away..[/quote]
LOL I dont mind what the suprise is im not going to spoil it, im there on the 27th, a week after opening day, fingers crossed it doesn't break down, its gonna be a LONG week :x

ive said it a million times but i like the idea of it being like hex, exaggerating the natural forces eg the indoor track tips forward 30 degrees, but the 'surroundings' rotate a whole 90 degrees, as if your on a bus just perched on the crest of a cliff tipping then eventually sending you (flying?/falling) downwards into the basement of the crypt.
lol if anyone understands that i will thank you with money*

* no promise :mrgreen:

Dagan
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:57 pm

"CoasterCrazyChris" wrote:

Yes, but many hoped for more. Such as rotating seats so you went down backwards head first. Or an underground cafe/viewing area.

Luce
Contributor
Contributor

Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:10 pm

ive said it a million times but i like the idea of it being like hex, exaggerating the natural forces eg the indoor track tips forward 30 degrees, but the 'surroundings' rotate a whole 90 degrees, as if your on a bus just perched on the crest of a cliff tipping then eventually sending you (flying?/falling) downwards into the basement of the crypt.
lol if anyone understands that i will thank you with money*

I think what you mean is that the "secret" part will feature some kind of illusion, to give the impression that something's happening when it isn't - which is what Hex does :)

adsyrah
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:48 pm

Assuming what Brendan told Wes is true, then the drop feature he was working on isn't the world first feature for this ride.

So I'm trying really hard to think of *something* else that could fit the bill.

• We've seen the trains and there's nothing unique about them.
  • All the track was sat in the car park for a while and there seemed to be nothing special there.
  • People watching the ride testing haven't reported anything surprising.

The building interior is still a mystery, so I'm 99% convinced it's something there.

There doesn't seem much room for anything other than a drop/tilt. Maybe a simulator, but the drop to get you to the lower floor will still take place on this piece of track.

Ergo - Brendan is telling porkies.

8)

ThrillJunkie
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:30 pm

Could the "worlds first" be the way that the theming interacts with the ride?

Just a thought
ThrillJunkieUK

SheikhSam
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:41 pm

"Luce" wrote:
I think what you mean is that the "secret" part will feature some kind of illusion, to give the impression that something's happening when it isn't - which is what Hex does :)

yeah exactly like that only coaster form, yet slighlty different so its not so, well, its not like riding hex, but just more of a sudden vigarous move :P

buffaloBen
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:42 pm

"ThrillJunkie" wrote:
Could the "worlds first" be the way that the theming interacts with the ride?

Just a thought

Thats already been done at disney in florida where mr potato head interacts with you.
Theres also some other rides and shows based on monsters inc and another on finding nemo where some of the characters actually talk to you on screen propperly (not like stephen hawking's machine) :lol:

I doubt it will compare to like the sort of worlds first air was because if it was they would probably hype that it is a worlds first but its gental hype is 'the most extreme coaster' or 'you will be plunged into the dark forest' but something like that.
It will probably be somethong to do with effects and the trains motion but who knows...?

Javs
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:09 pm

"adsyrah" wrote:
Assuming what Brendan told Wes is true, then the drop feature he was working on isn't the world first feature for this ride.

Probably the Secret Element that was delivered!

billybobfarmer1997
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:15 pm

"adsyrah" wrote:

[list]
[*]We've seen the trains and there's nothing unique about them.

8)

how do you know there is not anything to do with the trains?

i know we've seen the pictures but what if they took it at that view so you couldn't see what itt was. then knowbody would suspect it was the cars!

ben1990
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:20 pm

Exactly.
While the world's first element may not be the trains themselves, the pictures do not show whether there are video cameras, and could hide alot more.

adsyrah
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:29 pm

Okay, fair enough it's an assumption I've made about the trains. Considering we've seen photos of them at multiple angles and seen them in motion it seems safe to assume they don't do anything out of the ordinary.

Bubbaride
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:30 pm

Could the trians use hydrolecs soeach carriged could tilt forward, side ways ect. And they could be hidden under the theming of the carridges

Javs
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:08 pm

Highly unlikely, they would need an on board power supply, a large hydraulic pump, lots of piping and some actuators. We would have seen evidence of this.

Thorpefandan
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:10 pm

The carriages are way too small for this. My thoughts are that he worked on the drop after the indoor section, it is very similar to the indoor drop in SAW at thorpe and that seems much further than it actually is. Maybe he's being employed by someone to devlop a type of drop like this.
It\'s Big Bob, it\'s Big Bob, it\'s Big Bobs radio show.

Danny

Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:27 pm

I know this was mentioned like a hundred pages back, but does anybody else apart from me think that the secret weapon that was delivered is a screen? Or maybe a set of them. Like one for each side of the building. And as you drop, the screens drop with you, creating the effect that the drop is longer. Going on the 29th with school. Really cant wait!

Benedique
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:24 pm

Well it was confirmed a while back (I will try to find it and get back on here and post it) that the technology used on the ride is what makes it a worlds first! So i'm agreeing with those of you who are going with Brendans quote about making a drop seem longer than it is... i.e. the technology surrounding the illusion of the drop (perhaps screens as said above, or perhaps the track turning into a simulator its self inside the building and being able to move left right up down whilst tilting etc) is the world first :mrgreen:

------------

Edit:

Okay so heres a quote from good old Morwenna basically saying the 'experience' is world first

Morwenna Angove, Alton Towers' sales and marketing director, said: "This new ride will be a shocking, never-experienced-before rollercoaster and we're excited that once again the Alton Towers Resort is able to offer visitors the chance to experience something unavailable in any other part of the world.

And then we have the quote I was originally looking for thats in a number of different newspapers

Billed as a psychoaster Alton Towers claim the ride is a mix of physical and psychological terror but it’s the technology behind Thirteen that gives it a ‘world first’ status.

So its technology and the experience that make it world first which in my opinion might not be the drop/tilt feature but more, as mentioned the illusion around the drop again, queue brendan about making a drop seem longer than it is

joshc807
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:22 pm

Isn't there an underground bit, because they were digging big holes at the start of construction-

- sorry didnt know why i asked that i thought there was a big hole,must of been dreaming things