UK theme parks from another point of view!

AngelaB1983
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

YourDay 2010?

Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:43 am

Hi everyone, ive tried searching for this but it says "your day" are too common words.

I was just wondering if your day would be up and running this year? or if there were any other types of photo/ dvd options. or if it was just the same as last year, with the photopass system?

thanx in advance guys

Mi-Nigle
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Your Day 2010?

Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:17 am

Hi AngelaB1985, I don't think it will be running. It is not advertised on their site anywhere and it wasn't advertised on park either. Looks like it'll be just the photopass system for now.

And for future reference there is a Quick Questions topic at the top of the Alton Towers General forum. :)

ThrillJunkie
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:52 am

This system could in theory be reintroduced. The technology and equipment is still in place all they need is a new system and company to run it for them.

Will Th13teen have on-board cameras for a DVD? The last coaster Merlin installed (Saw:The Ride) had the system installed. :?
ThrillJunkieUK

RustyG
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:59 am

Am I right in thinking the company who ran Your Day went under? Or was it just not enough of a money maker to continue?

ThrillJunkie
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:07 am

"RustyG" wrote:
Am I right in thinking the company who ran Your Day went under? Or was it just not enough of a money maker to continue?

The company went bust leaving Alton in the :censored:
ThrillJunkieUK

Nightfall
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:39 am

I’m sure there was another topic discussing Your Days return but I can't remember how long ago it was. I think the conclusion is that they're trying to bring the system back but the company that used to run it did go bust.

oldgitBEN

Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:14 am

The company which initially installed the cameras and ran the whole thing (yourday) went into administration, aka 'went bust'.

Alton Towers bought the equipment from the administrators so they could keep it and presumably not make a mess where it had been installed.

Alton Towers then handed control over the shop unit and system to Picsolve who already run the parks on-ride photo system.
The shop re-opened and only sold individual ride dvds rather than the whole collection (no idea why).

And thats the last we know.

I dont think 13 will have your day due to the system not being amazing to start with.
Lets not forget Corckscrew has now left and Spinball rethemed so that needs new stock footage.

Personally i think we've seen the last of yourday.

Big Dave

Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:00 pm

So basically piscolve are going to try and use yourday stuff and come up with some sort of video? I just hope they can sort it out has I find the whole yourday idea to be rubbish and almost impossible to keep on top of. Individual videos I think will work much better and will be more flexible when new rides are added. They could also link it with the actual onride cameras they trialled on Oblivion.

oldgitBEN

Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:42 pm

Sorry i wasnt clear, Picsolve ran yourday at the end of last season - im dont know who, if anyone, will operate it this season.

If they are going for individual rides then surley it is more logical to give the wristbands at the ride entrance and sell the dvds after.
Just by the time people have got to towers street they just want to go home, not stand and watch several videos then pick one to buy.

taker316
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:23 pm

Last scarefest when I was waiting for my DVD I was talking to one of the members of staff there and he was saying that Your day was going to run in 2010 and feature 13 in the line up. Then again he did say that the new ride would be called Scream so... :?
R.I.P CORKSCREW R.I.P
1980-2008

pjb012
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:44 pm

"taker316" wrote:
Last scarefest when I was waiting for my DVD I was talking to one of the members of staff there and he was saying that Your day was going to run in 2010 and feature 13 in the line up. Then again he did say that the new ride would be called Scream so... :?

I can second taker316, having also purchased a YourDay DVD during Scarefest last October.

The DVD contained footage of Nemesis, Air, Log Flume, Rita, Spinball Whizzer and Oblivion. It should have also included Congo River Rapids too, but for some reason didn't pick us up on there. :cry:

The staff in the YourDay shop also told me that the 'new rollercoaster' would be part of the YourDay offering this season whilst I was waiting for the DVD to burn.

If YourDay does make a return this year, it will also be interesting to see if & how the pre-recorded footage on the DVD is updated for Rita and Sonic Spinball this season! :D

Paul

Big Dave

Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:51 pm

Not to mention the removal of corkscrew and various other rides that form a part of the stock footage, which are no longer there.

Benedique
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:57 am

It's going to be costly as they will now have to, as mentioned above, re-film spinball now the theme has changed, and they will also have to re-film rita as it's had a retheme and you will now be able to see th13teen in the background when the camera films you in the station during the launch!
I agree on board ride cameras would do so well because a lot of people would spend good money, where as with 'yourday' you only appear on each ride for a total of around 6 seconds and for the majority of that short time you are just a blur anyway as the trains are moving past the camera quite quickly.

AngelaB1983
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Re: YourDay 2010?

Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:10 pm

Thanx guys, i hope it is up and running, if not, photos will do.

ryanlovesaltontowers
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:27 pm

I have noticed that there are boxes with scanners in most areas of the park but i dont think theyve ever worked?

:arrow: gloomy wood (above toilet entrance)
:arrow: towers st. (above guest services & photo pickup)
:arrow: katanga canyon (above katanga cargo)
:arrow: x-sector (on rehydrator building)

Jon
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:58 pm

Yes, throughout the majority of last year, the shop was boarded up with themed walls. The suddenly, for a short burst, it opened again under the control of Picsolve, basically using the same methods as YourDay.

It was debated whether Picsolve would be looking to completely reuse the cameras installed to fashion their own, presumably superior, prodouct. They seemed to be starting this with Oblivion, but the fate of that idea seems murky as well; at one point they had video screens installed, but then they seemed to disappear.

It'd be nice to see it refined by Picsolve, a company who knows what they're doing! It was a really nice idea, and the finished product was well polished, it was just terribly flawed by expense, technical fault and lack of personalised footage.
Formerly "Dagoo"

Blaze

Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:03 pm

They were for filler footage on the DVD, they filmed you entering the areas.

On the subject of DVDs, what happened to Picsolve's own DVD on Oblivion?

madmanwill
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:42 am

Towers nerd have posted an image in their live updates.
11:34 - David

Your Day is closed, again.

Skumfidus

Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:26 pm

"madmanwill" wrote:
Towers nerd have posted an image in their live updates.
11:34 - David

Your Day is closed, again.

While it is sad that a whole unit is boarded up, that picture has reminded me of how nice looking that building is. I'd like to see guest services moved into here, with a really modern & funky interior. I'd then like to see guest services used as a fast-track/hotel booking centre.

ArronL94
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:17 pm

Too Bad :(