UK theme parks from another point of view!

Rollercoaster 4 Life
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Dark Forest & RITA - General Discussion

Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:48 pm

"cmpunk771" wrote:
Has rita increased with speed this season, it seems very fast compared to last season or is it just me?

I was hoping that Intamin would of thrown in a acceleration boost for Rita - but it hasn't been the case. They did it with Steath. Does anyone know if they paid for it or Intamin did it for free because of the problems that Steath had in its opening year?
Yesterday\'s the past, tomorrow\'s the future, but today is a gift. That\'s why it\'s called the present.

PSN ID][color=#000000]Bankzy108
Add me if you want!

cmpunk771
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:53 pm

^^ I am not sure but it did seem really fast this weekend, it might be new wheels etc

Khalichanan
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:21 pm

According to wikipedia, Rita has had an accleration boost. Apparently it now does 0-100 in 2.2 seconds?

Or was this ages ago...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rita_%E2%80%93_Queen_of_Speed

Blaze

Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:49 pm

Wikipedia has said that for years but the park still say 2.5. Wikipedia isn't the most reliable source out there so I will go with the park and say it is still 2.5. After all, if it was any faster, they would promote it.

It did feel very fast at the weekend, though, it probably has new wheels and also may be slightly due to the fact it isn't high up over wasteland now, with it turning sharply just above people in the Thirteen queue, the entrance to Thirteen and next to the building.

It did feel much faster than before so it is probably new wheels, the launch speed is unchanged because the ride was designed to work at 62mph, and will not work properly any slower or faster.

themealgang
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:02 pm

I agree with everyone who have commented on here, Rita to me did feel a hell of a lot faster on the opening day of the Dark Forest than in 2009. It could have been Intamin having a little play around with the launch system while working on TH13TEEN, or it could have just been new wheels to match those really nice, and new looking trains. I rode her at the end of the season in 2009, and it did feel slower then. However, unlike THORPE PARK with Stealth, Alton Towers have not made any marketing to an increase in speed on Rita, so I feel that a chance on an increase in acceleration is unlikely...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Madzieee
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:06 pm

"kamfira" wrote:
According to wikipedia, Rita has had an accleration boost. Apparently it now does 0-100 in 2.2 seconds?

Or was this ages ago...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rita_%E2%80%93_Queen_of_Speed

I would like to know why wikipedia isn't working?

I'd try to check but I can't get on. Damn it.

Mattia
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:12 pm

The wikipedia server is down. Nothing is working at the mo for Wikipedia. :)

Everything can be classed as theatre...even you are classed as theatre.

Jared
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:13 pm

"Blaze" wrote:
the launch speed is unchanged because the ride was designed to work at 62mph, and will not work properly any slower or faster.

This I know to be untrue. All the accelerator rides by Intamin use a standardised launch system and the speed is controlled by computers and proximity switches along the launch of the track. This speed can be changed, but only Intamin have the authority to do so. Whilst planning the launch speed for Xcelerator at Knotts, they actually launched the train at 105mph to start with and worked their way downwards.
Chessington Buzz - New Look Website Coming Soon...

Nightfall
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:29 pm

Although Intamin can change the speed they wouldn't operate the ride with people at 105mph. So Blazes comment about 62mph is the optimum operating speed and so the ride will always operate at that, even if it can go faster.
ImageImage

Blaze

Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:30 pm

Actually, I was refering to the design. Any faster the elements would be too forcefull and sharp, any slower they would not be as thrilling. The banking and heartining is designed to have as little lateral force as possible but if the speed changes the banking would not be right.

Mechanically, the speed can change but the dynamics of the ride would be adversly affected.

Rollercoaster 4 Life
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:10 pm

"Blaze" wrote:
Actually, I was refering to the design. Any faster the elements would be too forcefull and sharp, any slower they would not be as thrilling. The banking and heartining is designed to have as little lateral force as possible but if the speed changes the banking would not be right.

Mechanically, the speed can change but the dynamics of the ride would be adversly affected.

Still doesn't mean the acceleration couldn't be tweaked. The speed would stay the same - the launch would be achieved faster.
Yesterday\'s the past, tomorrow\'s the future, but today is a gift. That\'s why it\'s called the present.

PSN ID][color=#000000]Bankzy108
Add me if you want!

SheikhSam
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:32 pm

agreed. :D if anyones unsure of these, switch'y things on track, next time on TH13TEEN look at the last switch back, notice the green prong'y things with bulging'y things on, that would be them :)

AstroDan

Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:22 pm

The Ug Land theming is now being shipped to Brazil where it will become a Dino Themed part of Hopi Hari:

There was just so much quality theming, that they had to get a container vessel

:)

Blaze

Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:39 pm

Another AT removal, another Brazilian park addition. First Thunder Looper, then Black Hole (although that move eventually fell through, I believe) and now Ug Land.

Wonder if they will ruin it with a race themed launch coaster through the middle in 7 or so years time :?:

cmpunk771
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:42 pm

Overall just to recap Rita's re-theme included
New Soundtrack "Put your heads back and hold on tight, you must escape" "Go, Go, Go" after the train has launched
A new cover on the cars
Vines attacking the station

Have i missed anything?

Blaze

Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:44 pm

I'm sure there is much more 'tyre' smoke when it launches now than there used to be.

AltonThorpe
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:01 pm

"Blaze" wrote:
I'm sure there is much more 'tyre' smoke when it launches now than there used to be.

I thought that too :D .

For me it just doesn't seem to work, they either had to keep it how it was or completely change it, but this whole race car "escape" theme is wierd and seems to be stuck in the middle! :?
England 38-21 New Zealand - 1st December 2012

Twickenham Stadium

Blaze

Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:48 am

That's what I said from the start. There is still an uncomfortable mix of an escape and race themes. The escape theme is daft because you do not leave the area and end up where you started. The park media says it is just a ride taken over by the forest (see back of map) but the voice over says escape. The only poor part of the fantastic retheme. Even the entrance tyre, which I slagged off when the half finished picture appeared, looks great. Then again, confusion over am apparent theme clash is not something you really think about when you are launched at 62 mph in under 2.5 seconds.

JayTricky
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:04 pm

Wouldn't it be great if the voice over (as you're launching), was to get morphed, as he was speaking, into the voice of the 13 girl, or a wraith... emphasising the new theme of being slowly taken over by the Forest? :D

something like "hold on tigghhhht (normal voice slowly morphing into the girl)... youll need to be quick to escape"

maybe someone could think of a better line... :P

ArronL94
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:21 pm

With the new re-theming of RITA they should of changed the ride. Since she has been taken over by the dark forest, she could of turned evil. They could of made the ride a little faster or put an inside part onto the ride, showing that RITA has definatley turned evil against her riders.

ArronL94
8)