UK theme parks from another point of view!

James6
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Dark Forest & RITA - General Discussion

Sun May 09, 2010 10:39 am

^Just to add to the Merlin/Disney competition thing, a lot of people still think the parks ownership brand is Tussauds, adding more that less people would know who Merlin were compared to Disney.
If you go down to the Towers today, you\'d better ride Th13teen. :P

DiogoJ42

Sun May 09, 2010 2:31 pm

Tussauds is / was a well known brand in the UK. Most people probably think Merlin is something to do with Camelot, the lottery people! :P

CoasterCrazyChris
TT Member
TT Member

Sun May 09, 2010 8:30 pm

"DiogoJ42" wrote:
Tussauds is / was a well known brand in the UK. Most people probably think Merlin is something to do with Camelot, the lottery people! :P

I personaly think they shoud've kept the Tussaud's name but refreshed the branding of it, I dislike Merlin as a name.

:|

DiogoJ42

Sun May 09, 2010 8:57 pm

Agreed, Chris.

spinwhizzer
TT Member
TT Member

Mon May 10, 2010 1:58 pm

"CoasterCrazyChris""][quote=""DiogoJ42" wrote:

I personaly think they shoud've kept the Tussaud's name but refreshed the branding of it, I dislike Merlin as a name.

:|[/quote]

Tussauds no longer own Alton Towers, it was bought by Merlin; so re branding had nothing to do with it. Plus I think Merlin sounds mar more magical.

[Archive]

Mon May 10, 2010 4:21 pm

Merlin is run by the same people who ran the late Tussaudes. I don't think it was so much of a rebranding, but they could have kept the name Tussaudes if they wanted to. I think it was more a case of Merlin's parent company buying Tussaudes.

Dormiens-Dave

Mon May 10, 2010 4:27 pm

Actually Merlin is a different management team though Nick Varney who is the MD used to work for tussauds. The Tussauds group merged with the Merlin group and took on the Merlin name.

Evostance
TT Member
TT Member

Fri May 21, 2010 11:18 pm

Anyone want to explain why there are bamboo canes and reeds in a Dark Forest?

Think they need to get the gardeners in lol, they dont fit

AstroDan

Fri May 21, 2010 11:21 pm

I thought this. It also says UG LAND on a rock under the Rita launch track. A lot of the old reeds and that are too UG LAND...

Not very DARK FOREST.

#-o

Evostance
TT Member
TT Member

Fri May 21, 2010 11:43 pm

I noticed that too.

My girlfriend isnt exactally an enthusiast but she commented on several things about the area

Reeds and Bamboo canes aren't in a forest
New wood picket fencing for the queues doesn't fit with the theme, looks out of place and cheap
Rita fits in perfectly, the ride has naturally gone mouldy and looks good, however the supports could do with being vined up.
The area as a forest is too open
That rock
The paint on Rita's wood is being scratched off and you can see the bright Ugland blue underneath.

One valid point she made was that they probably went a bit over budget on some point of the ride, they might as well have just spent that extra 100k and given the queue lines a proper theme to fit in with the area.

As for the plants, it doesnt take long to dig up some bamboo canes and replace them with trees

Blaze

Sun May 23, 2010 3:37 pm

I agree, but it isn't meant to be a forest. The forest is the woodland around it. The Dark Forest area is simply Ug Land after the adjacent forest has attacked it, explaining why there are still refferences to the old area, and not completely different.

[Archive]

Sun May 23, 2010 5:21 pm

No no no no no no no no...

Ug Land does not exist anymore. If that is what they are trying to get at, which I highly doubt, then I fear for Candy Holland's sanity. You can't have an area named "Dark Forest" that is actually themed around a theme park area themed around prehistoric cave men and dinosaurs, mixed with a theme of drag racing and including a new ride themed around a crypt and a living forest; all being taken over by the spooky woodland in the background.

Surely not? Well, I hope not... :evil:

Blaze

Sun May 23, 2010 7:26 pm

No, it's kinda half way. The area is set up to be an theme park area that has been taken over and destroyed by the living forest. Ug Land is dead, but the area is mostly the same. All the dinosaur stuff has gone, but parts of the old theming, really just the TRR stuff, remains, albeit in worn, damaged form. For example, the speakers are covered in moss and from the sky ride you can see the race flag-style white and black stuff on the top of some of the buildings has been dirtied and worn. There are no reall refferences to the old area in particular, but at the same time, it does not just remove and pretend the old area was never there. Think of it as living, continuality theming. About 80-90% of the theming is brand new, but the rest is recycled to fit. The buildings are practically the same, just with added vines, trees, painted darker and carry the whole invading forest theme, as does all the signage and what not. It makes more sense in real life than it does when you talk about it, particullarly when you do over an interweb, so you have to see it in person to really get it, but it works and is an excelent area in the flesh. When it was revealed that the area would be continuating, rather than removing Ug Land/TRR without a trace, I was livid, furious with the decision, but it grew on me, and when I saw it on opeing day, I loved it. Even though it is simply Ug Land minus dinosaurs and racing plus trees, rust and general scary stuff, within 5 minutes I had completely forgotten what Ug Land was like. It is so much better in person.

[Archive]

Sun May 23, 2010 9:06 pm

Well, it sounds promising and a clever way to retheme an area, definitely. But this is Alton Towers, something better should have been done. I can't see Dark Forest as an area, just Ug Land with vines. No 'features' or effects. Very little theming compared to Forbidden Valley, Mutiny Bay or Katnga Canyon which subtly do this well. There is a big opportunity that seems to have been missed, and I can't see it lasting very long until it ends up looking shabby and comfusing. The area is meant to be the Dark Forest - a 'living, breathing forest'. So where is the evidence for this, other than the trees that were already there? Thirteen captures iy well enough, albiet if more drama could have been focussed on it. Then, for the area itself, there should have been much more to emphasise the spooky/mysterious atmosphere.

Today I happened to be on a walk, and at one point found myself in a dark pathway surrounded by ivy growing across the floor and branches blocking out the sunlight. I was reminded of Thirteen and the Dark Forest: how it was such a great concept that played on the fears that I was imagining whilst walking on this path. I am sure many oithers have felt somthing similar about dim woodland and/or abandoned buildings hidden by trees. That sort of idea and concept could be used for fantastic effect. It did look really promising in its early days, with the concept art and the tree growing up the cypt...

However, in my opinion, it has not been pulled off well enough to be classed as a seperate, stylised or memorable area. Therefore, not a place to stay in; bare and empty in the big picture; and not a suitable replacement for Ug Land.

James6
TT Member
TT Member

Sun May 23, 2010 9:11 pm

Summed up very well, I still don't feel that Dark Forest is as good an "area" as it should be. Like you say there aren't any definitive/iconic features of the area.

It's hard to describe, it's just doesn't feel/look "complete."
If you go down to the Towers today, you\'d better ride Th13teen. :P

Mr P

Sun May 23, 2010 11:47 pm

The area is supposed to be "Under Restoration" like Hex e.t.c, yet the only evidence of this is the scafold on 13's station building. Little bits of Tat need adding all over the area, like the boxes in mutny bay and the bent and rusted metal in forbidden valley. the only theming in that area is in the queue to 13. I'd like to see diggers and wheelbarrows and piles of unused scafold and pallets of covered up masonary littering the area. And top of my list of things the Dark Forest needs is decent signs, not plastic printed things that look horrible! real metal signs with real rust and real water stains, not flat plastic signs.
BUT, even with all that, i like it :)

.Will

Sun May 23, 2010 11:52 pm

"Mr P" wrote:
The area is supposed to be "Under Restoration" like Hex e.t.c, yet the only evidence of this is the scafold on 13's station building. Little bits of Tat need adding all over the area, like the boxes in mutny bay and the bent and rusted metal in forbidden valley. the only theming in that area is in the queue to 13. I'd like to see diggers and wheelbarrows and piles of unused scafold and pallets of covered up masonary littering the area. And top of my list of things the Dark Forest needs is decent signs, not plastic printed things that look horrible! real metal signs with real rust and real water stains, not flat plastic signs.
BUT, even with all that, i like it :)

Totally agree, one thing though the best bit of themeing with out a doubt is the man who looks like he is taking a wee down by the tree!

:P

Nightfall
TT Member
TT Member

Mon May 24, 2010 12:37 am

"bassboy" wrote:
Totally agree, one thing though the best bit of themeing with out a doubt is the man who looks like he is taking a wee down by the tree!

:P
I joked about that until I saw someone mount the fence and run into the bushes to join him. It was the end of the day and they rushed into the queue without thinking about finding a toilet first #-o
ImageImage

[Archive]

Mon May 24, 2010 7:29 am

"Mr P" wrote:
The area is supposed to be "Under Restoration" like Hex e.t.c, yet the only evidence of this is the scafold on 13's station building. Little bits of Tat need adding all over the area, like the boxes in mutny bay and the bent and rusted metal in forbidden valley. the only theming in that area is in the queue to 13. I'd like to see diggers and wheelbarrows and piles of unused scafold and pallets of covered up masonary littering the area.
Remember that 99% of the guests who visit are not going to know that. To them, it will be what it says on the tin - a forest. Anyway, it seems that all these theories and thoughts are attempts to desperately make sense of the area. Yes, it could be a disturbed restoration site. Yes, it could be the remains of Ug Land being taken over by trees. But, in truth, it's really a total mash up of ideas that make barely any sense or consistency.

Maybe I am being too judgmental before I have actually seen it. However, when original Ug Land opened, people were not trying to work out the theme of the area then, or how more theming/setting could be added. It was great fun with quality theming everywhere - a place you would really want to stay in. It had a genius stylised 'stone age' look. Combined with Ian Habgood's fantastic background music and the good offer of well-themed family rides, the area was one of the best I thought. Alton Towers could not help that Rita cut its life short, but they could have given its predecessor more attention than "New for 2010 - Dark Forest/Ug Land Remains/Restoration Site".

james myczko
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Th13teen - Ride discussion [SPOILERS TOPIC]

Wed May 26, 2010 7:08 pm

Does anyone know what the flat ride could be in the Dark Forest ?