UK theme parks from another point of view!

James
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Th13teen - Ride discussion [SPOILERS TOPIC]

Wed May 26, 2010 7:11 pm

"james myczko" wrote:
Does anyone know what the flat ride could be in the Dark Forest ?

No one currently knows and Alton haven't confirmed any flats being added to the Dark Forest. The most likely flat ride to appear would be Robo Arms as seen in the concept art for the Dark Forest released back in '08. Picture of Robo Arm concept art below.

But since 2008 Alton may have changed plans so we might see a different flat being added to the area or no flat ride at all.

SIMR
TT Member
TT Member

Wed May 26, 2010 7:13 pm

I definitely want to see a flat in DF. It would ease the queues for Rita and Th13teen a little. However, I wouldn't want to see robo-arms. 1. They look disgusting, worse than Enterprise, 2. Throughput would be terrible (unless they had loads)

Titters
TT Member
TT Member

Wed May 26, 2010 7:17 pm

That would be truly amazing. Although, would they take the attention away from th13teen and rita, and wouldn't they be extraordinarily difficult to put in and to work out how to dock them?

Chris W
TT Member
TT Member

Wed May 26, 2010 7:28 pm

The Kuka system is in many theme parks around the world (Disney, Legolands and shortly Universal), it wouldn't be difficult to operate them and install them. Should be pretty easy actually.

The Kuka's are visually fantastic and could possibly be pretty well themed but the main issue is throughput. There would need to be lots of arms for a decent throughput and that would be where it becomes expensive.

SIMR
TT Member
TT Member

Wed May 26, 2010 7:30 pm

Am I the only one that thinks robo-arms would be a bad idea? Come on, the amount of space they would need (which they don't have) to put in numerous ones would be quite large.

James
TT Member
TT Member

Wed May 26, 2010 7:43 pm

"bennyboy-92" wrote:
Am I the only one that thinks robo-arms would be a bad idea? Come on, the amount of space they would need (which they don't have) to put in numerous ones would be quite large.

You'd be surprised with the space, there's quite a lot of room in the area where the UG Swinger used to be. Enough room for a few robo arms I believe.

Problem with price is that even if Alton could afford to get a lot of arms would we be seeing awful theming. The concept art of the arms does look amazing but of course concept art usually looks much better than the final thing, could we be seeing just some branches chucked around and robo arms painted green?

Personally I'd prefer if Alton just decided to go for a different flat ride with good throughput and with some top notch theming.

:)

Blaze

Wed May 26, 2010 7:57 pm

You are forgetting that the area is meant to have been taken over by the forest and destroyed, it is not meant to be the forest like it was in the concept art, so the arms would not need to be themed as trees. They could be plain arms covered in branches and such, or have fairly generic or basic theming underneath, like the Dark Forest buildings do. Perhaps a touch of UL/TRR could be added, in the same way that the loud speakers have been kept but made to look dirty and broken.

However, KUKA don't do more than 600pph, and Alton will want more, so unless they get them to have a bigger throughput, I cant see it.

SIMR
TT Member
TT Member

Wed May 26, 2010 9:53 pm

"James" wrote:
Personally I'd prefer if Alton just decided to go for a different flat ride with good throughput and with some top notch theming.

:)

This is what I want to see. With Alton's tree height restrictions I don't see any major ride going up soon :( I WANT A SCREAMIN SWING NOW!

Oh, and when I went on UG Swinger there didn't seem to be much room :|

Chris W
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Dark Forest & RITA - General Discussion

Wed May 26, 2010 10:55 pm

I've moved a few posts into the general Dark Forest topic (about the Robo-Arms) from the main Thirteen topic.

Can we try and keep discussion in the relevant areas please, thanks. :)

And I know, I'm not innocent.

Rollercoaster 4 Life
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 27, 2010 12:14 am

There really isn't that much room where the UG Swinger's used to be. I looked last time I was at the park (21/05/2010) and it's pretty tiny.
Yesterday\'s the past, tomorrow\'s the future, but today is a gift. That\'s why it\'s called the present.

PSN ID][color=#000000]Bankzy108
Add me if you want!

[Archive]

Thu May 27, 2010 8:26 am

"Blaze" wrote:
You are forgetting that the area is meant to have been taken over by the forest and destroyed, it is not meant to be the forest like it was in the concept art, so the arms would not need to be themed as trees. They could be plain arms covered in branches and such, or have fairly generic or basic theming underneath, like the Dark Forest buildings do. Perhaps a touch of UL/TRR could be added, in the same way that the loud speakers have been kept but made to look dirty and broken.
No no no, I really hate that idea. I know what you mean about the forest taking over the area, but the idea that you can just chuck any old theming in but with tacky vines stuck on them and pass it off as good theming is awful! The Dark Forest idea is brilliant, just look at all the original concept art. It has atmosphere and looks magical in a creepy way.

Apart from Rita being slightly vined-up, there is NO sensible reason why the original Dark Forest theme was altered into a trashy, confusing Ug Land/Thunder Rock Ralley take over thing. I am pretty sure that idea was simply the result of a half-hearted retheme and if I don't see proper, clear, quality Dark Forest theming over the next years then I am going to scream. :evil:

Come on, Alton Towers! Dark Forest is going to end up like X Sector if there is not a strong theme!

PS Very sorry for booing you, Blaze! It was an involuntary reaction, I feel mean now!
Last edited by [Archive] on Thu May 27, 2010 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nightfall
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 27, 2010 1:33 pm

I can't understand why people keep saying there isn't enough space for Robo-arms. :?
Compared to most flat rides they are actually rather good for space as each arm can use a very small area. When the UG Swinger was in the area it needed a large circular space (the reason why it had to be toned down when Rita was added). Alternatively Robo-arms take up lots of little areas.

A quick example using Google maps when the UG swinger was still there. Circles for the Arms, dots represents the path between DF and TowersImage

As there is a path running between the Gardens, the Dark forest and the circular area were the UG Swinger used to be the arms could be lined up along the edge of the Gardens as the path is long and just about wide enough.
As the arms can be programmed to make any movement they can be placed very close together as long as they don’t swing into each others path.

The bigger problem is the throughput. My own opinion is that I would like to see Robo-arms with the forest theme but I’m not sure if they’re a good move for Alton Towers.

Rollercoaster 4 Life
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 27, 2010 3:50 pm

/ Don't forget a ride needs what? A queue and a longish queue at that so there isn't that much room without tree removal and we all know that it isn't favourable.
Yesterday\'s the past, tomorrow\'s the future, but today is a gift. That\'s why it\'s called the present.

PSN ID][color=#000000]Bankzy108
Add me if you want!

Blaze

Thu May 27, 2010 5:05 pm

"electricBlll" wrote:
No no no, I really hate that idea. I know what you mean about the forest taking over the area, but the idea that you can just chuck any old theming in but with tacky vines stuck on them and pass it off as good theming is awful! The Dark Forest idea is brilliant, just look at all the original concept art. It has atmosphere and looks magical in a creepy way.

Apart from Rita being slightly vined-up, there is NO sensible reason why the original Dark Forest theme was altered into a trashy, confusing Ug Land/Thunder Rock Ralley take over thing. I am pretty sure that idea was simply the result of a half-hearted retheme and if I don't see proper, clear, quality Dark Forest theming over the next years then I am going to scream. :evil:

Come on, Alton Towers! Dark Forest is going to end up like X Sector if there is not a strong theme!

PS Very sorry for booing you, Blaze! It was an involuntary reaction, I feel mean now!

Ah, don't worry about it :P

Dark Forest isn't really a ruined Ug Land/Dark Forest, there is hardly anything left of it at all, really it's just the loud speakers and other small details, so you wouldn't really know what the old area was like if you have never been before, there is just enough to suggest the forest is taking over and it is quite a sinister effect. The concept went on about how the forest was alive and taking over the Corkscrew's space, so the concept hasn't changed that much, it's more the details that changed, for example the original mood board said there would be diggers and stuff. The area has little resemblance to what was there before, it's more of a take over of a theme park land, rather than that particular one, and they have added new touches which are all about the forest, nothing to do with the old area, not even as a refference or anything like that, and given the place a totally different look, so UL/TTR is well and trully dead. Don't worry about it, as with Thirteen, it is better in the flesh than discussed over an interweb, at least in my view, and if you go back to the topic where the retheme was revealed to be a take over, I was not exactly in favour before I saw it.

I get your point, though, and actually agree with you in the respect that the points you made are things I agree with, but fortunately they did better and avoided these mistakes.

[Archive]

Thu May 27, 2010 5:56 pm

Thanks! I do look forward to actually visiting the area myself. Every time I see a recent photo from either Thirteen or the Dark Forest, I notice something new. I guess I can't judge it the way I have done on what I have seen so far and heard about.

I am simply quite diappointed with what has materialised, but not that much. We still have Thirteen which has gone to plan in terms of theming and atmosphere. The thing is, I was expecting something like what was seen in the concept art. It looks beautiful, but I guess Alton Towers were forced to pull an Air, or simply did not want to expand the idea just yet.

That is fine by me, and I still think the retheme was a clever move. Dark Forest certainly has an interesting future, though. I hope it goes to plan because it has the potential for a really good area. :)

Blaze

Thu May 27, 2010 7:10 pm

Yeah, I was hoping for a full, 'proper' retheme, but I'm happy with how it turned out, and although it isn't as amazing as the concept art, it is millions of times better than Ug Land in it's later days, and there is pottential for further development :)

henry96
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:41 pm

I really don't think roboarms are a good move. Yes, they're quite fun, but the throughput really is awful. They have them at a park in France that I went to and that was a fairly quiet park on a quiet day, but the queue for roboarms moved agonizingly slow. It took just under an hour for a ride which provides similar thrills to Top Scans. :x

Also, they take up more space than it seems. The ones I went on were in a pretty big building, yet they didn't fit as many in as you might think. Would not be a good move, Towers.. [-X

AshleeK
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:15 pm

While there is a rather noticable space where the Ug Swingers used to be, I don't really think that there are many flat rides that would really fit into the area. Like many people have already said, those Robo Arms look like they have terrible throughput, despite looking rather cool. Unless there is something really unique, I think it might be a waste of time putting a flat ride there. Although, they do need to do something with the massive space the Ug Swingers left behind.

But before they even put anything there (if they do), I'd rather X-Sector or Gloomy Wood be given special treatment first - they really need it.

James6
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:21 pm

Ironically I think a Boneshaker model would/would have suited the Dark Forest perfectly, a fun thrilling flat ride for the family that would have suited the whole "forest" theme incredibly.
If you go down to the Towers today, you\'d better ride Th13teen. :P

spark
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:09 am

"James6" wrote:
Ironically I think a Boneshaker model would/would have suited the Dark Forest perfectly, a fun thrilling flat ride for the family that would have suited the whole "forest" theme incredibly.

Agreed, that ride can be both thrilling and themed very well!