UK theme parks from another point of view!

bradpeet
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Th13teen - Ride discussion [SPOILERS TOPIC]

Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:26 pm

One thing's for certain - I hope there is more to the ride than we have seen.

I'm lucky enough to have ridden both Universal's Mummy and Disney's Expedition Everest.

I can confirm that it is the effects in the initial part of the Mummy which set that ride apart. There's a lot going on there, and the first time around it is totally overwhelming. I rode it twice, and the second time I noticed effects I had not seen the first time round - and others made more sense. It's a ride I have fond memories of.

Expedition Everest was a bit dull in my mind. I think that was the first coaster where I experienced a backwards section, but even that felt tame. But one thing that happened there was some sort of an animation of a yeti ripping up the track to divert riders attention from the moving switchback track.

As far as the GMTV piece is concerned, there is a possibility that the drop has more than one programme and we only saw the most basic one. I hope so, because if not I really do feel that element will have missed the mark.

And it's funny to see both Justin Garvanovic and Andy Hine mentioned. Justin, as witnessed in the GMTV clip is rather laid back. Andy would doubtless of come across completely differently ;)

Anyway - I'm now waiting to hear the reports from bootcamp and opening weekend. I will ride Th13teen, at least once - but that GMTV report has left me with no sense of urgency to ride it.

Blythy
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:28 pm

looks boring. Can't tell for sure until there's proper pov footage, cos I think the gmtv footage missed a couple of bits of the ride.

Why couldn't they have just got a custom mega-lite done? Would have saved a hell of a lot of money.

Zylos
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:38 pm

I don't know if anyone else has been on the 'Tower Of Terror' at Walt Disney Studios Paris, im sure some people have here :D That was my first proper drop style ride (Apart from the standard 4 sided drop tower), the ride was amazing, I dont know how Th13teen will compare to the Tower of Terror but Alton have got a habit of creating fantastic rides on tiny budgets, compared to the Disney and six flags parks. Take Nemesis for example, it's been rated very high among coaster enthusiasts and it's tiny compared to a large number of steel coasters in America, and been built on a much smaller budget.

Im still optimistic about Th13teen. The TV report didn't do it justice in my opinion, I am also suspecting that AT wouldn't of been too thrilled with the way the ride was conveyed, especially this close to opening.

I didn't really think the TV report was neccessary, the existing PR from AT was good enough for building hype. Showing some people riding an unfinished ride with no special effects which in my opinion will make the ride so unique wasn't needed (you can still even see scaffolding as they go up the lift hill)

Bring on the Th13teen evening, looking forward to riding :D
Muay Thai, MMA, Dubstep, Photography and drumming.

Javs
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:50 pm

Mark my words, opinions on this ride will change.

The marketing has probably been a bit over the top. And this bulletin has not really done it justice. This is going to be a thrill experience, but they should have been a little more low key with its marketing.

But just imagine the suspense as you pull into the crypt and stop knowing that at any time soon, you will experience quite an intense vertical drop. I love the way it teases you on the first jolt too! Very AT!

Anonymous

Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:59 pm

As another long time lurker and even longer time visitor from the early 80s, I've decided to brave the gauntlet of those with their tongues firmly inserted into Alton's dark forest and vent my world-first, unique and groundbreaking disappointment. This disappointment is so mindblowing and extreme that it carries an age restriction of 16-58, may only be read once per day and for a fee of £1 (via paypal to meanwhilethis,this,[email protected]) offers access to an onsite pscho-therapist to help you recover. I've not suddenly formed this disappointment after seeing one video, but like many, I've had it since the very beginning. Don't worry though, as I'm going to crawl right back under my minimally rethemed with vines Thunder Rock once I've finished. Never to be seen again. Unless I ride this attraction on opening day, love it and want to come back and tell everyone how sorry I am, that is.

Despite Alton Towers desperately trying to convince us otherwise, this ride appears to be nothing more than the impromptu and accidental love child of The Frog Hopper and Runaway Mine Train, conceived following half a can of cider during an emotional school prom, discarded to fend for itself in woodland once reserved for duelling schwarzkopfs and cross-valley woodies and unearthed during excavations for a tombstone marking the departure of the marketing director following not so much shooting themselves in the foot, but blowing off all four limbs after climbing inside an unexploded world war II bomb and promptly being left lying in the mud, swallowing the occasional passing slug in order to survive - minus the fun of either.

From the moment the plans were revealed, anyone with even an ounce of objectivity, balance, genuine experience of what makes a great rollercoaster (this is after all, a rollercoaster and not a flat ride or dark ride) and awareness of the history of Alton's rollercoasters could see that this wasn't going to do anything other than completely fail to live up to Rita or Spinball Whizzer, let alone Air, Oblivion, Nemesis, Thunder Looper, Runaway Mine Train, Black Hole etc. Plus it would cost £15m and possibly be the only non kiddie ride for the last and next five years.

Intamin megalites have taken the coaster world by storm and are just one example of a coaster type that would have provided a decent length coaster element in a dramatic setting, prior to the 'secret' (which most people worked out within 30 seconds of looking at the plans) element and backwards return to the station. Airtime hills in the woods, the train flying through caped wraiths and a lot more would have been the minimum that was due. Instead, we get a go-gator style short and dull layout that appears to have used the most sophisticated computer design in order to take every last bit of fun and excitement out of the layout. Remove Maverick-style first drop - tick. Flatten airtime hills - tick. Use a rather nasty and cheap looking track - tick. No triple bunnyhop ending - tick. Keep speed down - tick. Waste the woodland that can only be used once - tick.

The idea of combining a drop tower and rollercoster was a great one and the theme fits in well with the Towers, but they've ended up with something that just doesn't quite seem to have the appeal or excitement of either. A dark ride with a drop tower section into a large pit separately on park would have worked well and given them a new attraction to market in a couple of years' time. Meanwhile, enthusiasts and the 'general public' (some of us are both, you know) could have been enjoying a rollercoaster that Corkscrew was worthy of being wiped out for.

If all that weren't bad enough, this ride looks almost certain to be used by parks all over the world as an example of how not to market a new attraction. It's all hype, hype, hype, for free, free, free, by constant dripping of nonsense and rubbish for the media to report on days when Cheryl Cole's happily married or Jordan and Peter Andre are speaking respectfully to each other. If it were marketed for what it actually is - a middle of the road family coaster with a short, sharp track drop in the middle, visitors would have looked forward to it as such and probably been pleasantly surprised by the intensity of the track drop. Instead, it was dubbed 'SW6' - instantly implying it's going rival Nemesis or Oblivion, had the word 'Psycoaster' (awful, awful term) and all the drivel about age restrictions, legal waivers, one ride per day and my favourite - 'it's like every ride you've ever dreamed of in one'. Excuse me? Every ride I've ever dreamed of in one? So I'm going to experience Superman, The Voyage, Spiderman, Nemesis, Katun, Gwazi, Manta, Apocalypse and Space Mountain am I? Evidently not. What anyone who's bought into this hype (actually, let's call it trhype - a new term for totally over the top marketing) will experience however is the dullest, dumbed down, shortened, flattenned, slowed coaster section with the shortest possible drop with what may turn out to be the highest amount of downtime. Or perhaps the feeling you'd get after chasing a stunning blonde around all night, finally getting her home to reveal breasts made of poundland balloons, a wig that falls off to reveal she's John Sargeant and an unholy trinity of dull coaster, short drop and even shorter reverse section right where her beautiful dark forest should be. Oblivion's marketing was met with a certain amount of criticism at the time for being so short, but it backed it up with a 180ft plunge into a smoky tunnel. Thirteen backs it up with a short, dull layout and a 6ft drop. Also, what's with the numbers in the name? How am I supposed to prounounce it? Ththirteenteen? Thonethreeteen? We'll let thast one slip though.

Then to allow that awful GMTV footage to go out three days before opening, without any effects at all, let alone any of the effects that everyone seems to be expecting in the secret section (I wouldn't be getting your hopes up), borders on insanity. For those who say you should ride it before judging it. No. Not at all. A good ride, marketed well, makes you want to ride it. I remember seeing footage of Corkscrew, Black Hole, Thunder Looper, Nemesis, Oblivion, Air and Rita and being excited by it and looking forward more than anything to riding it. With this, I'm not and you know what? It's because it's an overtrhyped, dumbed down rollercoaster with a tiny drop in it that might be good. That's where it begins and where it ends. Anyone who criticises a single person on here for 'being negative', 'throwing toys out of a pram' or offering an opinion before riding it - stop making excuses and let people say what they really think without being criticised for not being all nice and smily and fluffy and agreeing with everything Alton says. It's been said that this thread is now depressing to read with people's genuine feelings about the ride. Perhaps then, you can understand how a lot of people have felt about Th13teen every step of the way.

Aside from the initial reception for Oblivion, people didn't form this opinion about Corkscrew, Black Hole, Thunder Looper, Runaway Mine Train, Haunted House and Nemesis, yet many seem to have for this ride. I wonder why that might be? It's not their fault that they're able to objectively see that this ride's design and marketing is writing cheques that the cold, hard face of its reality simply can't cash.

PyroMittens
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:01 pm

I do dislike the way it has been potrayed on GMTV...all of those teasing blipverts, to be revealed in a meh video.

However...I still love the look of it, and cannot wait to ride it with all the effects turned up to 11. =D.

mattbailey
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:02 pm

On the plus side... the ride is eerily quiet. That'll keep the locals happy.

It appears like Alton have put the bare minimum effort into the TV clip. If you look, the dummies used for testing are in the station behind the airgates and the ride generally doesn't look finished.

I believe, that come Saturday we'll have a fully functioning, themed ride that will leave most people impressed. However, like Air, the ride will be better in a year's time when the forest has grown in closer and the landscaping has taken it's natural course.

IMO what is missing is theming around the first corner, it looks barren! They should definitely put something at that section of the ride. Ideally a tunnel like the final helix, with lights / mist would be incredibly effective.

Let's just hope that we don't have Air Theming Fail 2.0 on our hands. :|

Dormiens-Dave

Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:03 pm

A-Clark that has got to be one of the most beautifully crafted posts i have seen on TTF even if i disagree with a lot of it.

I will once again say... lets wait and see

PyroMittens
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:21 pm

I've only just noticed...Wraiths in the clip hahaha.

How did I not see them?

fishdalf
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:25 pm

Alton Towers just posted a new status on their Facebook profile, probably to stop hoardes more people slagging off their new ride. The status reads "Hey Boot Campers, we have really enjoyed the last 2 days, was great to meet you all. Let us know what you think!"

To me this seems like a VERY smart move given the last few hours. Well, if they give positive feedback of course. One person has wrote:

"after riding it, theres too much metal about the track - hope it doesnt look like a construction site on saturday.. =("

Another who apparently also rode it said:

"Thanks Alton Towers what a great few days I have had and even more special letting me be one on the thirteen riders Thankyou so mich"

Not sure if this gives us any better insight into the ride, but I guess these people could be messaged if you want more information. The second comment checks out as one of the bootcampers, a Gary Greenwood...

I've just sent him a personal message asking about his experience on the ride. Let's see shall we.
Last edited by fishdalf on Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Get Corrected

smeg_head
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:29 pm

There are three things that worry me about the fact that this ride relies on effects to sell it.

The throw a 6 to start mist on Oblivion.
Hex with it's two season long missing eye.
Howard the never-there duck

Alton has a habit of neglecting its effects.

Oh and then there's the other awesome Merlin ride that relies on effects to heighten the experience...

So Th13teen... [url=X://No" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]X://No[/url] Way Out 2 anyone?

furie
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:35 pm

"AstroDan" wrote:
I hope to god it rides well. This thread is only serving to depress me. The gmtv segment didn't sell the ride well enough, in my view :(

Well, it may not cheer you up entirely, but Madame_Furie backed up my claim about enjoyment if you're not "an enthusiast". She said earlier about all the enthusiast comments and comments on the Alton Farcebook page:
"Madame_Furie" wrote:
Everyone is a complete bunch of miserable gits. The ride looks like it's really good fun and the drop looks really scary. Really looking forward to riding it

So there you are, if you're moaning, it means Madame_Furie thinks you're a miserable git and one person at least is really looking forward to the ride - even after watching the GMTV shot :)

In fact, after reading Diogo's comments, I think there is an underlying issue of fear people who are happy to ride Rita and Oblivion all day are missing... I think that the idea of that sudden drop may be somewhat more appealing/scary to a lot of people than we think?
If you\'ve got a problem, stuff a worm in it!
Come and Visit the Family_Furie family review site here

Mattia
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:41 pm

Honestly, I think some people are really judging all this too early. Yeah ok, the ride preview on GMTV wasn't amazing, but let's be honest - Saw (although it had the outside section) had none of it's effects on either.

The whole point of this rollercoaster is the effects - that's what it relies on, not the drop. When inside and being dragged backwards through the crypt, we're gonna see so much happen, it won't just be safety lights on and thats that! The ride's got to grow into it's surroundings outside, although I had hoped the coaster would be going through ruins and waterfalls and all sorts - but that seems to be nowhere :'( disappointed!

I honestly think we can't judge the world's first element and the full potential with the effects etc until people ride on Saturday. Give the inside section some leeway - I'm sure it'll live upto the psychological part come Saturday.

Everything can be classed as theatre...even you are classed as theatre.

fishdalf
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:41 pm

In reference to my above post, another who claimed to ride Th13teen stated:

"Thank you Alton Towers for the interesting challenges, the opportunity and bringing together many great people. An anti-climax (and a massive disappointment) for me after all that waiting and hard work. Still should have stuck Pipe Dream on Ebay!"
Get Corrected

John G
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:47 pm

Also from Alton Towers wall on Facebook from a bootcamper:

"Connor Blundell who evers been on thirteen whats it like ? any good ?13 minutes ago ·

Shaun Bentley Amazing.

Really, really Amazing."

He seems happy with the ride! :D

altongeek
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:48 pm

Was an immense couple of days Alton Towers surpassed every expectation I had!

Great group of people who I'll definitely be meeting up with again.

I didn't get to ride Th13teen but being attacked by a wraith and being dragged out of my tent by a madman dripping in (fake) blood more than made up for it!

Any chance of a free bit of Th13teen merch as a runner up prize? Hehe

Now that sounds scary.

I think the fact that the GMTV ride was on GMTV at 6 in the morning will have a small influence on what they showed to us. Maybe the full advert will tell us a little bit more.

fishdalf
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:53 pm

POSSIBLE SPOILER

I've asked 3 seperate riders if there was special effects or mention of special effects, awaiting confirmation...

EDIT: "I didn't get to ride the ride itself, but I know that there ARE special effects, however for test riders and press they hadn't been activated due to filming restrictions, the buzz is '3D cinema'"

READ PEOPLE!

Now calm the F down.
Last edited by fishdalf on Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Get Corrected

Javs
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:59 pm

If you look carefully at the vid, you can see what look like projector lights facing forwards towards the front of the crypt, especially after the drop and before the reverse launch. In the vid of course, they just look like bright, white spot lights. But meh, they might just be bright spotlights! :P

Cjw
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:01 pm

Hold on a second. It's perfectly acceptable for people to say "This ride looks brilliant" without riding it yet anyone who doesn't think it looks amazing without riding isn't allowed to express that opinion?

Rubbish. Of course we're only going on the video-but I see nobody complaining about the people going over the top with how good it looks.
Last edited by Cjw on Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dormiens-Dave

Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:01 pm

Don't get where the long line of mis-fires have been, the last three years have been good for the park, mutiny bay has seen some of the best theming at the park since the late 1990's and its made a drab area a great place for families and the general consensus on Sharkbait reef is that its a great family addition.

As for 13 i don't get how you can call it a dabacle until you have ridden it, to be honest Oblivion looks uninspired and short to look at yet the ride is really good and gives most people a buzz everytime.

As for losing a piece of Alton Towers Heritage corkscrew was a good ride but at the end of the day it was an off the shelf vekoma corkscrew that was at the end of its usable life. I will researve judgement until saturday as generally i think its unwise to make a decision on this ride before its been ridden.

But that doesn't mean people can't say it looks dissapointing but slating it as a definate failure before riding is premature
Last edited by Dormiens-Dave on Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.