UK theme parks from another point of view!

Lotte
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Th13teen - Ride discussion [SPOILERS TOPIC]

Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:41 pm

"RUBIX-KUBE""][quote=""AltonThorpe" wrote:
Is the scaffolding part of the theme, that's terrible if it is! :(

that's a bit harsh, the theming was made to look abandoned, and quite stressed, after the marketing thinking the theming was a bit too 'lame' so they added a tree, and eventually came up with the idea, of the dark forest :D the crypt would look too 'made' if the scaff wasn't all there, maybe they could add to it, by making it look more 'dark forested' even if it's just putting vines round it, or growing some creepers up the sides :poke: :joy:[/quote]

I think the scaffolding makes it look like the council has been round to prop it up. :D
At least they havent installed three wraiths leaning on shovels looking into a hole

daveslodge
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:45 pm

The scaffolding keeps the theming consistent surely?!?!

The story goes that during the removal of the corkscrew an ancient crypt was unearthed and the proverbial hit the fan!

I'm sure that the workers wouldn't have hung around to clear up their gear!

Kelly
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:56 pm

"daveslodge" wrote:
The scaffolding keeps the theming consistent surely?!?!

The story goes that during the removal of the corkscrew an ancient crypt was unearthed and the proverbial hit the fan!

I'm sure that the workers wouldn't have hung around to clear up their gear!

That's all good and well if there was actually any explanation of the story for the public. However there is no explanation and just looks unfinished to many.

Skumfidus

Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:10 pm

Just thought I'd add this from a Coaster Kingdom review of Oblivion when it first opened -

When the ride was finally disclosed in early March though, it surprised everyone: Not by the awe-inspiring grandeur of it, but more by the mere simplicity of it. Whilst what the ride does had never been attempted before, many people were shocked that their theories of corkscrewing drops and underground loops were nothing but wishful thinking, and that the finished product was basically a face first freefall.

It seems that to a certain extent, the cagey marketing behind Oblivion backfired. It did well to build excitement and anticipation, but perhaps to the extent that people were expecting far too much. If people look at the ride though, and not the hype that went with it, they’ll see a novel concept that Alton Towers had the guts to take on.

Sound familiar?

And look at the much-loved status of Oblivion now!

Danny

Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:42 pm

Finally got to ride Th13teen today. And I have to say it was amazing!

The queue was a lot bigger than I expected! So I joined the single rider queue with my mates and we got straight into the station building. Then they stopped the ride so they could put the third train on which took a longer time than I expected.

I got paired with some guy who also was riding for his first time. He had no idea about the drop and actually thought the ride ended after the coaster section! He really panicked on the drop and I couldn't help but laughing! The ride was smooth and the the drop was great! Some more inside themeing could do for the crypt but on the scale of 1 to 10 I would give Th13teen a solid 9.

DiogoJ42

Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:46 pm

:lol: In the long term, I can see Th13teen being as fun as Hex for "noob watching" :P

Danny

Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:54 pm

And a word of advice anybody who wants to meet the wraiths...

Don't call them Bob. I called one Bob and it hissed at me :(

SheikhSam
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:56 pm

we started talking to a bush, not sure of their gender (sorry bush) :oops: they seemed pretty bored, so we told 'em a couple of jokes and could see they were trying not to laugh :P :P

Khalichanan
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:04 pm

Had a trip yesterday to AT :)

Firstly, I'm going to cut to the chase. The ride th13teen was absolutely awesome. So anyone too lazy to read the rest of what I'm going to say, I think th13teen is amazing, brilliant, fantastic.

Theming

I thought the theming of the ride was excellent. When I went on there was only a wraith by the ride exit, and only the first time around, but in the queue I caught sight of a man dressed as a bush, although my friends did not believe me when I insisted he was there. Does anyone know what/who this is and what they were doing? I thought the queue was ok, bit of a random layout and I felt that it got you excited because you moved towards the building but then curled away again, often further than you were before. I liked the bus, and the graves with the hand were a good touch. Another question, there was this greenish wall that was visible for the early part of the queue, has that always been there or is it intentional and then 'aged'?

I also liked the distressed trees, but I felt that some areas could have had a little more forest. It would be nice for there to be other things like the graves to interest the people queuing. One thing I was fascinated by was the weird concrete slabs dotted around...forgot to count...was there thirteen? Will they be for wraiths come Scarefest? I'd like to see wraiths standing completely still, causing people to mistake them for statues and then BAM they move and hiss in someone's ear, causing them to jump far enough to get to the front of the queue.

However I did not like the badly and randomly placed food queue. Everyone was stopping at them, especially as the first time around I went on around lunchtime :( It caused the queue to get really stuck for long periods of time, but it did feel really good then being able to run through the queue a massive distance. I'm personally of the opinion that if you stop to buy food you either send one of your group to get one and then they catch you up (I have no real problem with that, only if said person has bought food from outside and entered the queue and then pushed right to the front. Half way through its not going to make much difference. If you can't do that, then no offence but you should let people go in front. It is not fair to make others wait and slow up the queue for ages so you can buy food. I don't mean to be harsh. I even offered to let the couple in front of us go in front of us return to the queue when they had bought the food but they effectively told us to shut up, eff off and stop complaining. :(
I always buy food before the queue and eat it during the queue if I know it is going to be long, but that's just me. I'm not saying you can't buy food, but it should be done better if you know what I mean...but I guess it does make a nice refreshment if you've been a queue for ages.
However when I started queuing it was out of the entrance and they said it was only an hour. Apart from diabetics, most people can wait that long.
OK, ranting over! Sorry if I've made anyone angry!

The building was amazing inside, really creep and quite subliminal. The tesla coil was very unsuspecting but I can't wait to see it working, hopefully by the time I go again this year it will be! The queue moved very quickly once we all got past the food stall, and the ride ops were very very nice, especially the one on the left platform near the front, was really friendly and calmed my friend down who by this time was near hyperventilating!

Outdoor Section
Really, really good fun. Unluckily, I ended up in second and first row the two times I rode it, but even there it was brilliant. Nothing thrilling as say nemesis, but it certainly built what some people are calling it, which is another RMT. It felt like air if you get me. Was most intrigued, second time around it felt super fast all of a sudden, much faster than the first time, even though I had actually moved forwards. Really puzzled by that, I know they can't have taken the trims off! It felt so much faster and I could barely feel the trims.
Good airtime too! Was a bit upset it had to end so soon, and it will be fantastic when the trees have grown back a bit more!
However, the trees were grown enough so that they covered almost all of it from public eye, and at no point I saw the switchback :)

Indoor
Absolutely.Superb.
The first drop was a little scary, made me jump and many of my friends were like "Is this iiiiiiiiiiit" because all of a sudden they've just dropped another 15ft and landed. The landing was perfect, nothing jolty or anything. Just as good as anything to do with Tower of Terror, and far bizarrer. Lots of screams all round and a few curses. After that the brilliant helix, took me completely by surprise even though I knew it was coming! Much faster, twistier and forceful than I thought it was.
Someone said in the queue "I reckon its rubbish because there are lap bars not overhead restraints but I even heard them screaming with delight at this bit, so a success!

The switchback was a little weird but being a nerd I loved watching the track change like that, and it was nice and speedy back to the station. As I said, the switchback was pretty unseen by anyone until they were on it, and many were terrified as they thought they would not be able to stop and just keep on going!

So I think although it isn't a Nemesis slayer, it's a great addition to the thrill family, and I don't like it being classed as a family ride. I see RMT and below as family. A child went on this ride and was crying on the way off. All the adults were cheering and laughing and smiling, just like they all do after the Big Four.
Personally I love it, could go on it again and again! Definitely my second favourite yesterday aft er Nemmy!
9.5/10

It was also one of the most reliable yesterday, so I'm glad. Nemesis and Rita were both down for a fair time.

On another note, Oblivion is looking really sad and grey. It's a class ride but it's tucked away in a corner without anything else to attract anyone over there, and I suppose it's one of those rides that people don't always want to make the trek over to after having been on it once. X Sector really needs something decent to make it an area you can go back to again and again. It just blends into the background too much now, does Oblivion, and it's only when you get closer you get thatfeeling
But a bit off topic, but I felt it had to be said :/

If anyone could answer my questions, I'd be glad!

SheikhSam
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:27 pm

The slabs are for bins :P
but good idea :)

Khalichanan
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:37 pm

"RUBIX-KUBE" wrote:
The slabs are for bins :P
but good idea :)

Cheers mate :)
We spent ages wondering about them, but it doesn't totally rule out wraiths wandering around though!

What was that bushman doing then, if you managed to talk to him?

SheikhSam
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:43 pm

yeah! :P seemed quite sad, the one near the shop entrance from the exit (if that made sense) :P didn't talk, just 'bushed' we could clearly see his/her face, but they started laughing when we told a couple of cracks :P :D/

AltonThorpe
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:46 pm

What is this "bushman", can someone explain, sorry I have no idea! :oops:
England 38-21 New Zealand - 1st December 2012

Twickenham Stadium

DiogoJ42

Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:49 pm

"AltonThorpe" wrote:

One of these? :?

SheikhSam
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:50 pm

"AltonThorpe" wrote:

:P its a guy/girl dressed in a skintight suit covered in leaves and jumps out :)

Benedique
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:52 pm

Its a guy (or lady) wrapped head to toe in leaves etc and they sit in a bush (you can barely see them, even if you know they are there) then they jump out when people walk past!

EDIT: beaten to it...as usual :(

SheikhSam
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:55 pm

sorry :oops: :P

Airtime
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:06 pm

The "bushmen" were very cool but I only saw them at the strat of the day for about 10 minutes and then I didn't see them again but they were a lot more wraiths about, I was in the area a lot today.

I actually really loved Th13teen. Although the first ride wasn't great BUT after a few more times I really loved it! It grew on me! It may have been for the fact that after the first go I didn't lower the lap bar down as much and gave me a slightly bit of airtime over the first drop and I felt as if the indoor drop was a little quicker but again may have been do to the lap bar not being as low as before. I liked the fact that the track was banked differently throughout the backwards helix, it gave a swaying feeling, nice touch (or was it just swaying :p lol). I got second to back on my first go and on the other 3 times back row! So my opinion I suppose is slightly biased, so until I ride it again on the 8th I love it!

By the way I read not far back that Th13teen wasn't loading the back 2 rows when it was raining... I always saw the train full throughout the day (back to rows as well), it was raining, not really bad but it was raining. But I was wondering at several points how it manages to get up the lift hill sometimes becuase surely sometimes the wheels on the lift might just slip? surely? lol :P :)
Last edited by Airtime on Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yeezus just rose again!

Khalichanan
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:06 pm

The one yesterday just lay on top of the van for a bit, sometimes getting up and moving!

My mate said its just wind and I was like hahaha lmao you can see his arms and legs!

Big Dave

Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:08 pm

I want one of these in the station please. K thnx

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FY-AS13fl30&feature=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FY-AS13f ... re=related[/url]