UK theme parks from another point of view!

DaNnyToWeRs
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Th13teen - Ride discussion [SPOILERS TOPIC]

Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:57 pm

"tw12ve" wrote:
Hi.
I'm new here, and in my opinion, i really dont understand where all the 15,000,000 pounds has gone. I mean, Air cost 12,000,000 pounds to make, and, to be honest,i think that had a more pronounced world first element. it could be the expenses scandal all over again [-X

I work for a small company which has approx 20-30 staff working at any one time, so for a days work thats about £2000 in wages, imagine what portion of the £15 million is Wages?

Evostance
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:00 pm

"Mr P""][quote=""tw12ve" wrote:
I'm new here, and in my opinion, i really dont understand where all the 15,000,000 pounds has gone. I mean, Air cost 12,000,000 pounds to make, and, to be honest,i think that had a more pronounced world first element. it could be the expenses scandal all over again [-X

I think the 15million cover everything, like marketing, flyers, area theming e.t.c.[/quote]

Ride Construction - £3mil
Wages - £2m
Marketing - £10mil

:lol: :lol: :lol:

SheikhSam
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:02 pm

Anyone else think there might be a story when the tesla gets wired up, in the normal queue, when you enter, there's a big open space in the corner you turn, would be an ideal place for a t.v. or even another mounted above the compressor, as for single riders, I'm not sure where there would be space, as I've not been through the single riders, (only main queue) went on twice altogether last saturday, couldn't help but laugh when me mate screamed :evillaugh: the lift hill did'nt fit in too well, as it looked a bit too new, hopeefully the weather will get them nice and dirty (get sponsorship by persil)l :P the air cannons were fab, and the backwards helix's feel of having no control, I for one like it black, the more unexpecting it is when you come outside suddenly. I really do envy the people who get the backstage view :P

Wortho
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:12 pm

After going on th13teen on sunday and 4 times today I have simply come to one conclusion. th13teen is absolutely, positively brilliant. When I went, I went on with the mind set that the ride was going to be a family coaster, so I was expecting boredline thrill, but not on par with nemesis and co seeing as the pictures of the ride boxes in the car park clearly stated 'intamin family coaster' and boy it didn't disappoint, the themeing and attention to detail is supurb, from the crypt itself to the arm being pulled into the grave by tree roots in to queue line, The outdoor part has a fair pace to it for a family coaster and the airtime hills do have quite a pleasant kick to them, especially on the front row, in the crypt itself the effects are cool with the floor creaking before you initially fall through it to the sinister music when you are escaping from the bottom of the crypt, and the way the train sort of flexes around the backwards helix was weird and wonderful. th13teen is a brilliant addition to the park, its fun, thrilling well themed and very reliable. Another plus its that it eats the queue like no ride I've ever seen before, it was quite busy today on park and the most I had to queue for it was 20 mins and that was with most of the queue filled, a brilliant ride which in my opinion is now the second best coaster at Alton Towers with Nemesis being top.

Airtime
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:27 pm

Sorry I'm missing something here but there's a tesla coil in the que, I couldn't see it well when I looked there. So it doesn't work or it will eventually?

And the inside of the building, there's an air cannon in there? and music? I didn't see/hear anything from the back of train on the 4 goes I had :P
Yeezus just rose again!

Dean

Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:32 pm

"Airtime" wrote:
Sorry I'm missing something here but there's a tesla coil in the que, I couldn't see it well when I looked there. So it doesn't work or it will eventually?

It's in the cage as you go up the stairs after the merge point, hopefully it will be working soon...

Airtime
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:49 pm

I know where it is, I just couldn't make out what it was :)
Yeezus just rose again!

Sir John Talbot
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:55 pm

"Wortho" wrote:
After going on th13teen on sunday and 4 times today I have simply come to one conclusion. th13teen is absolutely, positively brilliant. When I went, I went on with the mind set that the ride was going to be a family coaster, so I was expecting boredline thrill, but not on par with nemesis and co seeing as the pictures of the ride boxes in the car park clearly stated 'intamin family coaster' and boy it didn't disappoint, the themeing and attention to detail is supurb, from the crypt itself to the arm being pulled into the grave by tree roots in to queue line, The outdoor part has a fair pace to it for a family coaster and the airtime hills do have quite a pleasant kick to them, especially on the front row, in the crypt itself the effects are cool with the floor creaking before you initially fall through it to the sinister music when you are escaping from the bottom of the crypt, and the way the train sort of flexes around the backwards helix was weird and wonderful. th13teen is a brilliant addition to the park, its fun, thrilling well themed and very reliable. Another plus its that it eats the queue like no ride I've ever seen before, it was quite busy today on park and the most I had to queue for it was 20 mins and that was with most of the queue filled, a brilliant ride which in my opinion is now the second best coaster at Alton Towers with Nemesis being top.

Agreed!

Though perhaps it's best to say it's the second best experience. Because there really is more to it than just the physical ride I think. Little attention to detail like the hand just make for an ace experience from start to finish.

I think experience wise the best rides are now

1. Nemesis
2. Hex
3. Th13teen

Total quality.

JayTricky
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:30 pm

Had a great day at Alton Towers today. Here's a few of my thoughts.

- Love the Corkscrew momento, very nice touch
- Music blasting nice and loud around TS, goosebumps as I left.
- Nemesis blood looking really really pink... Ribena?
- Spinball looks rather fresh, but it's hardly a retheme. Rather a sponsor.
- Liking the new skyride station
- Sharkbait reef is great to just relax for a bit, theming is inspiring.
- Oblivion mist felt the coldest it's ever been, and made it a lot better.
- Duel is BORING...
- Thirteen, Rita, Air, all experienced lengthly downtime.

Dark Forest Th13teen & Rita

Like the entrance and I was greeted with loud music that set the mood. Didn't like the fact you cant really see th13teen as you walk in, only Rita. Rita looks decent, i liked what they did with the station building and the entrance, seems like it does fit in well - only gripe i would have would be that the Red track sticks out a bit but it wasn't really a problem. Ritas cars look brilliant, and it felt a lot quicker than usual with more airtime!?...

As for Th13teen, well I got to ride it twice, once first thing (20 min queue) and once later on (40 min queue)... thoughts...

The themeing is very good, the station building looks great from the outside, and i liked the alton van and the grave, though i think there should be a few more things added to keep you entertained apart from lots of broken wood. LOVING the theme music, the orchestra, it was spine tingling, considering it was raining as well which I actually enjoyed as it really set the mood before i got on the ride.
Not liking the cattle pens too much, theres nothing worse than queuing the opposite way to the ride.
Entering the building It was surprising how cramped and 'scary' it was. lovin the ambient lighting and the sound effects with the girl counting '1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13'... and the tesla coil will really frighten a lot of people when its working! Still think they could add some TV's in there, plenty of space!... its themed brilliantly, very dark, loving the vines and the cars as well, very comfortable lap bars...
The ride itself was good the first time. Start off reasonably fast out the station and up the lift hill, down the drop, which really caught me off guard. 'TRIM BREAKS'... or not... my stomach left me... both times. It was fast round the first corner and got a little bit of airtime but it did seem to slow down, but was very fun and seemed everyone else riding enjoyed the oustide section. ... Going into the crypt... Didnt really have much time to notice everything there was, so 2nd time tried to look before it dropped. And it caught me off guard with the air blast in my face. The drop felt a lot bigger the 2nd time for some reason. Noticed the Wraiths chained to the walls in the crypt, could it be there is 6 on either side then the wraith you see in front of you at the bottom is number 13? ... didnt have time to count. But loved the room lighting up green, and the sound effects were excellent (different both times? im sure of it?)... seemed like the effects were working better 2nd time. They really could do with a world class effect of some sort in there though. The backwards launch was mediocre but enjoyable and the helix was surreal to say the least.

Overall I would give it a solid 7.5 out of 10, a very good ride fun and thrilling for all ages. Alton Towers have been so clever to build this type of ride.

I was eager to hear the GP's opinion so was listening out a lot. Some of them didn't get the scaffolding theme, and as to why it was called 13. the best was as we entered the crypt, some cocky chav said 'Is that it? boring'... then when it dropped he basically screamed and it terrified him on the 2nd drop. Add in the backwards launch too.
It's the GP that will be the majority that ride this, and most of them wont know what goes on inside that building, thats the vibe that i got from today. And that is simply the emotional factor that I think they might have been getting at. I mean really, whats more scary than thinking a ride has finished and that happening? Or not being able to see hardly any of the ride?

I found myself wanting to ride it over and over again. Quality fun.

Kelly
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:27 pm

My brothers at Towers today, Th13teen is currently down...again!

stesutton
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:13 pm

Well i had two trips planned to Alton Towers this week Sat just gone and Monday just gone.

Sat we arrived and Th13teen was down, with signs up saying watch the red signs for details. After seeing the sign change to 0 mins from closed i was like a kid again and got super exited. we got to the ride to be told we had a 1-15 min que (expected with the ride just re-opening) We Queued in what i would now say is the best Queuing area in the park. (other than the shop that holds up the line and caused an argument while i was in the que) We got to the indoor Que section and the only downside i can see about it is the fact you don't stay in it very long so don't get much chance to see it.

The ride itself i thought was amazing. I went on after reading some negative posts on here and watching it go around quite slow. So i wasn't expecting much at all. the outside section of the ride i would say is just as fun as spinball/RMT then when you get to the indoor section all i can say is wow. the drop even though quite small still catches you out and then the backwards section in the dark really has you disorientated.

Been on 3 times now and cant get enough of it.
Sorry if thats boring for anyone.

One downside i had with the park and its kind of The13teen related, A staff member on Monday working on Air asked us if we had already been on the new one. I said yes and my friend said no as she didn't go on the Sat. The Staff member then went on to tell us both how its a massive let down and it was far to over hyped. :evil: It didn't put us off but surely the staff should say good things about it or nothing at all.

---- Post Info Added ----

"Kelly" wrote:
My brothers at Towers today, Th13teen is currently down...again!

Has he said how long it has been down for? When we went on Monday they shut the ride for around 5 mins to add a 3rd cart. Hopefully its nothing serious. [-o<

bradpeet
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:29 pm

"stesutton" wrote:
The Staff member then went on to tell us both how its a massive let down and it was far to over hyped. :evil: It didn't put us off but surely the staff should say good things about it or nothing at all.

On the other hand, if I had heard a comment like that from a staff member before I rode it, my first ride would have felt less disappointing than it did. (Considering how picky people can be in enthusiast sites, I had put the negative reports down to people being particularly critical - now I share those views)

Fantasmic
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:38 pm

Just got back from AT, rode Th13teen yesterday, whilst it was a very good ride... I really didn't live up to the hype.

(Nemesis was amazing both yesterday and today, although it did hurt in the sleet, and I got on the VERY first car of the day on Rita this morning!)

TheJigsawWraith
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:55 pm

how long were the queues mate?

davidaiow
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:14 pm

I didn't think I'd get to ride this until the summer, but it turns out I'm going this weekend. Get in!

I've got my friends super excited and I haven't let them in on the drop so to see their face is going to be priceless.

I'm a little concerned about all this downtime, but I guess it just makes the whole thing more scary and worthwhile when you do get on!

We are all over 16 too, which means we all get to ride! :D ( ;) )

Just want to thank everybody who's contributed to the threads here too. It's been so useful and so interesting for me, especially since I can't get to the Towers very often, so thank you!

rhys
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:16 pm

"DaNnyToWeRs"&quot;][quote=&quot;"rhys" wrote:
I'm not saying I didn't enjoy it but I can understand why alot of people are disappointed. If I didn't know the story before going to the park I wouldn't have had a clue what was going on.

Ok, apologies if I come across to be rude, but what statistic are you basing your comment "why alot of people are disappointed" on? because to me, unless you have asked a large number of people who have rode 13 what they thought of the ride, and that a large percentage of them said they were disappointed, then I could possibly see how you were justified in making this comment.
If however you are basing it on the small majority of people in this forum who are disappointed with the ride, then I have to point out that they are probably a SMALL percentage of the people who have attended Alton Towers since March the 20th.
Again I do not mean to be rude or condescending, but to say alot of people are disappointed with the ride I feel is very prejudiced at this early stage of the ride.[/quote]
I'm sorry I didn't think I had to reference everything I write. Just the general feeling I get from people on the forums aswell as other people I have spoken to who have ridden the ride is that it hasn't lived up to the hype. Like I said in my post I still thought it was a good ride, just not as good as they made out, and I just got the impression that my views are shared by alot of other people. Sorry if I'm wrong.

bradpeet
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:28 pm

"davidaiow" wrote:
We are all over 16 too, which means we all get to ride! :D ( ;) )

I hope you are trying to wind us up with that remark. There is no age limit on Th13teen. Just the height limits.

It's a family coaster with a few tricks, so there is no reason for any age limits. If you expect any more, you might be as disappointed as I was on my first ride.

Fantasmic
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:33 pm

"TheJigsawWraith" wrote:
how long were the queues mate?

Queues yesterday were about 30 mins for all the biggies, walk on for the likes of duel/hex

Today it was EMPTY cause of the bad weather I think. We didn't queue at all, (we did however get in at 9am for ert and then were straight to RITA) BUT when we left at about 12:30 (seriously, we were soaked through and fed up!) The queue for Nemesis was probably at about 40 mins. Don't know about Th13teen for today as we didn't bother.

SheikhSam
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:58 pm

wooaah! thats not long, most we queued for 90 minutes roughly for TH13TEEN, the LED scroller will help when it's finaly in place. Remember Wardley saying theres more to expect inside, so when do we all think that will be finished by, or could it just be something to make us visit the resort again and again in hope of?! :sus: ..Knowing Wardley, there'll be some tricks up his sleeve :P :D/

dasbudd
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:58 pm

Anyone see the added extras today?