UK theme parks from another point of view!

HypoTheGreat
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

KFC/Burger King!

Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:37 pm

Hello fellow forum goers! I'm a lurker on these forums, don't usually post though.

I say don't usually, because I'm going to Alton Towers this Sunday, and like most others, I like to plan my day with the most important rides first, with the least important at the end.

However, I was shocked to discover that KFC seems to of slowly retreated throughout the park? According to this site and the pictures, there's only one KFC left, which is in the X-Sector! I was shocked at this, as Burger King is an absolutely horrible place :( , so I normally eat at KFC or one of the towers' own franchisey thingys.

Anyway, that leads me on to the discussion does anyone know when Burger Kings contract ends? I'd love to see McDonalds back there :D

AltonThorpe
TT Member
TT Member

Re: KFC/Burger King!

Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:42 pm

Sorry I don't know when the contract ends, but I agree, when McDonalds was in Cloud Cuckoo Land it was a fun and wacky place and it was a well themed "restaraunt", now that Burger King has taken over though, it is bland and doesn't fit in, I would also like to see a KFC back in Kantanga Canyon! :)
England 38-21 New Zealand - 1st December 2012

Twickenham Stadium

HypoTheGreat
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:44 pm

"AltonThorpe" wrote:
Sorry I don't know when the contract ends, but I agree, when McDonalds was in Cloud Cuckoo Land it was a fun and wacky place and it was a well themed "restaraunt", now that Burger King has taken over though, it is bland and doesn't fit in, I would also like to see a KFC back in Kantanga Canyon! :)

Yeah, I remember my first time I went there with the car hanging out of the wall above the door, and then all the traffic lights inside. Does it still look like that? I don't bother going near it unless I'm bored and want to ride Charlie! :P

paradox456
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:49 pm

"AltonThorpe" wrote:
I would also like to see a KFC back in Kantanga Canyon! :)

I agree, I never got over McDonalds moving out, and now they got rid of that KFC! :? I never liked Burger King TBH, far to... Normal for me :mrgreen:

I would love to see McDonalds move back into Alton Towers! Lets start a petition :P

(P.S. Love these forums, first post!)

AltonThorpe
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:51 pm

"HypoTheGreat""][quote=""AltonThorpe" wrote:

Yeah, I remember my first time I went there with the car hanging out of the wall above the door, and then all the traffic lights inside. Does it still look like that? I don't bother going near it unless I'm bored and want to ride Charlie! :P[/quote]

No it's just a bland Burger King now. :cry:

Twickenham Stadium

HypoTheGreat
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:55 pm

"AltonThorpe""][quote=""HypoTheGreat""][quote=""AltonThorpe" wrote:

Yeah, I remember my first time I went there with the car hanging out of the wall above the door, and then all the traffic lights inside. Does it still look like that? I don't bother going near it unless I'm bored and want to ride Charlie! :P[/quote]

No it's just a bland Burger King now. :cry:[/quote]

Awwwh :(

"paradox456" wrote:
I would love to see McDonalds move back into Alton Towers! Lets start a petition :P

Definitely, I bet McDonalds doesn't want to move back though. :(

AstroDan

Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:21 pm

I have eaten at BK only once since it arrived at AT in 2008. The service is often very poor, the prices are ridiculous compared to the High Street and I prefer the quality of the in house outlets.

Burger King for me is awful at Alton and has been since Day 1 when I waited 40 minutes for the wrong food, slammed my food down on the counter and was never given a refund for my £7.50.

I wish they'd get rid of it. Pronto.

Dormiens-Dave

Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:25 pm

To be honest a BK meal is £7 i can get all you can eat Pizza for cheaper.

I know where i will eat

Altonator
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:50 am

"AltonThorpe" wrote:
, I would also like to see a KFC back in Kantanga Canyon! :)

Have to disagree there the pizza and pasta outlet is one of the best places on park and at least KFCs still in X Sector :)
Whatever the weather outside it\'s always tropical at Cariba Creek

Khanage
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:07 am

The Burger King outlets on park ruined the image of the park in my opinion. Unfriendly service and extortionate prices do not promote the family friendly image that Alton Towers' business thrives on.

As has been said the meal prices are horrific compared to the Pizza and Pasta and even the BK high street counterparts. I went in there to eat back in Scarefest 09 and was disgusted at the quality of food. The chips were cold and the drink was more than half full of ice. I complained and did receive replacements but this is the kind of place where only 1 in 10 people will complain, which is a shame really.

I honestly think Alton should not renew any agreements with BK and utilise what is a fantastic building for another Pizza and Pasta restaurant for that side of the park.
Thanks to Adzy for the sig & av.

Adam
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:14 am

As far as I remember hearing on here, each BK contract lasts only 1 year which is why Towers opted for them instead of McD's which were after a 10 year contract.

I think it's pretty safe to say BK wont last much longer. I think that goes for KFC too. Each will be transformed into a Towers own restaurant soon I imagine.
"It would be spiteful to put Jellyfish in a trifle..."

Vik
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:30 am

I have so far used BK just once at Alton Towers, choosing the one in Forbidden Valley, and waited 15 minutes for a burger even though there was no one else waiting. As already mentioned the prices are a rip off, and what used to be quite a well themed Cred Street Maccies is now just has a bland corporate look to it since it went over to BK.

Is it right that the ultimate aim is to be soley In House (Ie staffed & run by Alton Towers rather than high street franchises) catering only?
Sent from my ZX81 via Time Travel

richdirk123
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:37 am

McDonald's: No vegetarian options.
KFC: No vegetarian options.
Burger King: Vegetarian options.
Pizza Pasta: Vegetarian options.

I think they are simply trying to make their restaurants appeal to everyone. That way, they get more happy customers and they earn a little bit more.

Zac
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:28 pm

"richdirk123" wrote:

I think they are simply trying to make their restaurants appeal to everyone. That way, they get more happy customers and they earn a little bit more.

McDonalds do salads dont they! :D

Bloo
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:41 pm

"Khanage" wrote:
I honestly think Alton should not renew any agreements with BK and utilise what is a fantastic building for another Pizza and Pasta restaurant for that side of the park.

Yes! Another pizza and pasta restaurant would be brilliant.

All Burger King restaurants NOT on the high street have there prices raised so much, it just doesn't make sense to eat there when you can go to one of Altons own restaurants and have the meal that you actually ordered, good service, friendly staff and good prices!

"richdirk123" wrote:

Actually Mcdonalds do salads and bean burgers. the veggie burgers are not on the menue, but if you ask 90% of McDonalds restaurants serve them.

[Archive]

Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:48 pm

I am glad that KFC, Pizza Hut and McDonald's have declined. A shame about what happened with Burger King because the restaurant that I heard was fun and wacky turned out to be the most boring place I had ever been in at a theme park.

The (much better quality by far) restaurants that Merlin have recently been introducing are Pizza Pasta Buffet and Fried Chicken Co. I have been to the buffet place at Chessington and it was great. The food was good quality and the place felt like it belonged at the theme park. The one at Alton Towers looked like it fitted in well, too, and because it is run by the park they put effort in to make it as good as possible. It replaced Pizza Hut, which was before then just another outlet in a chain of fast food restaurants that could be found anywhere. The Fried Chicken Co is the in-house version of KFC, then.

Whether you like McDonald's over Burger King is down to personal choice of what fast food you prefer. The theme parks' self-operated outlets offer something different, and in all cases so far they are better.

CoasterCrazyChris
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:53 pm

I was a bit upset they ditched the Pizza Hut from X-Sector, if your vegetarian there is absolutely nothing to choose from at KFC - except chips that is! Saying that, I can't imagine anything other than a chain outlet in that Meltdown unit, I believe it opened the year AT decided to introduce chains to the park?

I personally think chain outlets aren't too bad at the park, but I would really love to see a proper funky family restaurant in Cloud Cuckoo Land, an in house outlet with really cool theming like before.

The fact is, Alton Towers have been using the tagline 'Escape to the Alton Towers Resort' but the place is still full of generic high street outlets - wtf? I sincerely hope the plan is to phase them out - with the exception of perhaps Meltdown which, let's be honest, would work better with high street chains.

:)

AltonThorpe
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:46 pm

In all honesty, Alton Towers should do a Disney and just have their own themed restaurants! :shock:

Twickenham Stadium

Bloo
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:45 pm

"AltonThorpe" wrote:
In all honesty, Alton Towers should do a Disney and just have their own themed restaurants! :shock:

yea, i agree. though it does seem like they may be going that way

Islander
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:12 pm

I'd agree as well - I'm not really fond of these fast food franchises in theme parks, kinda ruins the immersion for me. Merlin's own outlets, in my opinion, are far better quality anyway, so really hope that we head towards a situation where they are the sole providers of food in their own parks!

Plus, of course, they offer AP discounts whereas the franchises don't :P