UK theme parks from another point of view!

pixie-ro
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Most blatant queue jumping ever!

Tue May 04, 2010 8:04 pm

Yesterday I witnessed the most blatant piece of queue jumping ever... [-X

My friend and I were in the fastrack line for Air, and the couple in question were in the single riders queue next to us. When the woman at the gate was checking our passes, she had her back to the single riders line so they just walked straight through into the normal queue. I told the woman they had done this (sorry but I hate queue jumpers) and she just said 'Oh did they?'.
Anyway, we were all in the left hand line, at the top of the steps with the queue jumpers now just in front of us. All of a sudden the bloke (a bit of an intimidating looking fellow) just starting walking through the line saying 'Can I just get past?' His girlfriend followed and they just made their way right down to the front of the line and straight on to the ride! Those of us who had seen this were all a bit gobsmacked - you kind of have to applaud them for having the audacity to do it and then get away with it!

Anyone else got any examples of queue jumping, or am I the only one who gets really annoyed by it? :anger:

Vik
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Most blatant queue jumping ever!

Tue May 04, 2010 8:20 pm

I've seen a lot of queue jumping by those using the Oblivion SRQ. As it is out of site of the host on the merge point it is quite common to see people walking up the SRQ, wait for a few moments, then duck under the railings in to the main queue, rather than waiting in the SRQ. I seen about 10 people do this on Sunday in the space of 5 minutes. This is something I have brought up with Guest Services before as something that needs addressing, but 12 months later nothing has changed.

I've witnessed many attempts at queue jumping, and it is quite satisfying when they get caught out, and are ejected from the ride, or as in one case, were made to do the walk of shame down the Rita SRQ line to a chorus of boos & cheers from everyone they had just pushed past in the main queue.
Sent from my ZX81 via Time Travel

Lorenashley
TT Member
TT Member

Wed May 05, 2010 10:35 am

The worst day for queue jumping was when i went over the easter bank holiday 2009, ( apparently it was national gypsy day ) about 20 people walked straight past everyone in the queue for the rapids, and nobody said a word, they were climbing over the fences and walking all over the theming, One tried to get past me and my sister so we linked arms and completely blocked his path, he kept saying excuse me and that he wanted to catch up with his friends i just turned round and said well your odviously just trying to jump the queue so you can wait like the rest of us, I could see that he was gobsmacked that someone had confronted him so he started calling me names and swearing, luckily about 7 other people started piping up telling them they were all out of order. Grr made me mad it did but he still didn't get past me haha!

Balb0wa
TT Member
TT Member

Wed May 05, 2010 11:21 am

"Vik" wrote:
I've seen a lot of queue jumping by those using the Oblivion SRQ. As it is out of site of the host on the merge point it is quite common to see people walking up the SRQ, wait for a few moments, then duck under the railings in to the main queue, rather than waiting in the SRQ. I seen about 10 people do this on Sunday in the space of 5 minutes. This is something I have brought up with Guest Services before as something that needs addressing, but 12 months later nothing has changed.

I've witnessed many attempts at queue jumping, and it is quite satisfying when they get caught out, and are ejected from the ride, or as in one case, were made to do the walk of shame down the Rita SRQ line to a chorus of boos & cheers from everyone they had just pushed past in the main queue.

I do that on oblivion, only if the que is very short,saves a lot of walking, would never do it if the que was long though.

Voni86
TT Member
TT Member

Wed May 05, 2010 12:16 pm

"Lorenashley" wrote:
The worst day for queue jumping was when i went over the easter bank holiday 2009, ( apparently it was national gypsy day ) about 20 people walked straight past everyone in the queue for the rapids, and nobody said a word, they were climbing over the fences and walking all over the theming, One tried to get past me and my sister so we linked arms and completely blocked his path, he kept saying excuse me and that he wanted to catch up with his friends i just turned round and said well your odviously just trying to jump the queue so you can wait like the rest of us, I could see that he was gobsmacked that someone had confronted him so he started calling me names and swearing, luckily about 7 other people started piping up telling them they were all out of order. Grr made me mad it did but he still didn't get past me haha!

Good on you! I guess a lot of people don't confront these idiots because they're afraid of being sworn at like you, or worse, violence. Quite frankly I don't blame them. I would agree that something needs to be done though.

bobblebob
TT Member
TT Member

Wed May 05, 2010 5:01 pm

"Balb0wa""][quote=""Vik" wrote:

I do that on oblivion, only if the que is very short,saves a lot of walking, would never do it if the que was long though.[/quote]

Yea so do i. only do it when its quiet and its not to que jump, its just to avoid the longer walk

John
TT Member
TT Member

Wed May 05, 2010 6:22 pm

"Balb0wa" wrote:
I do that on oblivion, only if the que is very short,saves a lot of walking, would never do it if the que was long though.

I think Vik was referring to people cutting in from the SRQ after the merge point. I think we've all cut under the divide at the SRQ/fastrack entrance at some point due to general laziness, as its quite rare for the main queue to stretch that far back.

Cursed
TT Member
TT Member

Wed May 05, 2010 6:37 pm

Not at Alton Towers, but twice in one day at BPB. Both times on the Grand National. First time two lads were standing behind us in the queue and jumped the fence and got straight into the back car. The second time, two chavs from Liverpool jumped over the queue just as we were getting in and stood behind us in the loading bay. Nobody battered an eye lid on either occasion.

velocitysurfer
TT Member
TT Member

Wed May 05, 2010 10:47 pm

Again not at AT bu at Disneyland paris last month.

We had waited 40 mins to get on the Cars ride (which only last 1 minute 30). As we (wife, 2 children and I) exited the ride, a number of "east european" people came down the exit ramp and got on the ride at the same as others were trying to get on via the legitimate entrance!

Due to having the children with us I didn't hang around to see what happened.

Gloomy Dude
TT Member
TT Member

Wed May 05, 2010 11:27 pm

I'm one of those people who witnesses queue jumping, does nothing and then spends the next hour annoying their companion with lengthy, viscious descriptions of what you should have said/what you would have done if only you were only 6 inches taller. Not that I've ever witnessed very much queue jumping in my time at Alton.

I am a fan of the passive-agressive Ghandi method - linking arms, blocking their way and refusing to acknowledge them.

Oh, and I really, really hate the "sorry, do you mind if I just catch up with my mates?" thing.

A - If they buggered off without you, they can't be that great a mate.

B- Surely they could move back in the queue to meet you?

But as I say, on the whole, a typical, mild, British coward.
[size=90]For some things there is no rational explanation. There is no way out. There is no happy ending to this story. Welcome to the unknown. Welcome to eternal darkness.

Welcome to Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - The Ride

bobblebob
TT Member
TT Member

Wed May 05, 2010 11:37 pm

Leaving the que to get food like on Thirteen is a tricky one. You have gone past the person as they wait to be served, so do they have the right to go back ahead of you afterwards to catch up with their friend? They arent technically que jumping, as they were infront of you anyway, but stopped off for snacks

altongeek
TT Member
TT Member

Wed May 05, 2010 11:58 pm

In theory if someone stops for supplies in front of you, if you go ahead and walk past them, your queue jumping.

I always wait. it saves everyone the hassle of moving aside when they come back down to meet the friends who carried on queueing.

AshleeK
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 06, 2010 1:06 am

"bobblebob""][quote=""Balb0wa""][quote=""Vik" wrote:

I do that on oblivion, only if the que is very short,saves a lot of walking, would never do it if the que was long though.[/quote]

Yea so do i. only do it when its quiet and its not to que jump, its just to avoid the longer walk[/quote]

Normally I do it because I got in the wrong queue by accident. Never cut in front of people though.

Zylos
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 06, 2010 1:19 am

"Cursed" wrote:
two chavs from Liverpool

Two chavs from Liverpool?

How is the fact that they are from Liverpool relevant to them queue jumping?

Im from Liverpool and I have never queue jumped, infact im quite the opposite. No one jumps past me i've stopped it twice at two different parks a year back. Why should someone have to wait less just because they dont want to. Queue jumping really annoys me and it is something that can put a downer on someones day.

Well done those people that have also stopped queue jumpers :D

I heard one story a while back, (it might of been on TTF) but I heard that; In the air queue a group of older teenagers and young adults blatantly walked through the queue. When a man tried to prevent them pushing past one of the men in the group said to him something along the lines of 'It's because i'm black and you are a racist'.

That sort of pathetic attention grabbing attention should have him kicked out of the park along with his gang of jumpers.

Crush queue jumpers! :evil:
Muay Thai, MMA, Dubstep, Photography and drumming.

Dogbert
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 06, 2010 8:02 am

Something that happened a good 5-6 years ago;

I was in AT with my family (my parents love the park, but can't ride rollercoasters, which is a shame). We were walking along the queueline for the Rapids (it was a quiet day, so the wait was from the bridge leading into the station), when a group of children (I'd have put them around 11-12ish) came charging along, the first couple of them squeezing around my mum and dad quite forcefully.
Now, my dad is usually quite a quiet, restrained man. However, is also 6ft8, rather large, and can look very, very angry. So, as another couple of these kids tried to barge past (my mum and dad were walking hand in hand), my dad turned around, and glared at them. I still remember the looks on their faces, as my dad told them in no uncertain terms that you don't barge into people, and you don't queuejump. They tried arguing that it wasn't queuejumping, at which point some people who were coming along the queueline behind us joined in, pointing out that if we are in the queueline, we are queuing.
The kids mumbled an apology, realising they were in the wrong.
Got to teach them when they're young, I suppose.
What, you were expecting something witty?

cmpunk771
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 06, 2010 8:05 am

^ I do love it that they thought they where really hard jumping the ques then as soon as someone stares at them they get really scared and apologize lol

El Patricko
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 06, 2010 8:32 am

While were all telling war stories, id might as well join you.

I remember once at thorpe when some vagabond decided to try to take a short cut through the queue on collossus, the part near the lake, only to realise that there was an angry swan hissing at him. I dont think i have seen anyone get back in the proper queue-line so quickly since then. Perhaps there should be swans in every queue-line to enforce q-jumping- :)
"If Alton Towers get a shrek 4d attraction next year i, El Patricko will eat a steak garnished with pond weed"

Officially, "the first man out on the town in shorts 2011"

TheOneWho

Thu May 06, 2010 9:13 am

I will not stand for queue jumping anywhere. If you step out of the queue, for whatever reason, you have left the queue and forfeit your place in line. I frankly don't care where your friends are, etc, you left the queue and go join the back of the line again. If you want something to eat/drink then you get it prior to joining.

D-Man
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 06, 2010 12:16 pm

"TheOneWho" wrote:
I will not stand for queue jumping anywhere. If you step out of the queue, for whatever reason, you have left the queue and forfeit your place in line. I frankly don't care where your friends are, etc, you left the queue and go join the back of the line again. If you want something to eat/drink then you get it prior to joining.

Well said! :clap: It's exactly this that really does my nut in when I go to AT. I live in Scotland so only get to go to the park once a year :cry: It's very annoying, and after the long trip I have made it just seems annoying that people think that they can just push past to the front. If their friends are at the front and they want to get to them, then they should have joined the queue with them at the time. :x :x :x

I have seen people waiting outside Air's queue at the fence and when they notice their friends are near the front they just push past everybody. This is not right and it isn't fair for those who have waited for a long period of time to ride. I really think that AT need to monitor this and stop these idiots but I don't know how they could do this...

MAybe have staff at certain points in the line to stop people trying to get past? Would be boring but would give everybody a fair chance. :lol: :P
Alba gu brath! Scotland Forever!

Benedique
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 06, 2010 12:43 pm

Well I can't stand queue jumpers...if you want to jump the queue's then pay for a fast track simple! Anyway for my 6th birthday my Mum and Dad took me and a group of my friends to camelot instead of having a party. Just as we were about to queue up for pendragons plunge (a water slide) I got stung by a wasp so my Dad took me to the first aid room to get the sting out, whilst my friends all got in the queue. I came back and went through the queue saying 'excuse me please can I get to my friends' (bearing in mind I had only turned 6 that day) a rather tall man turned round and said 'No you can't! you can (insert swear word here) wait like the rest of us!' and grabbed my wrist and pushed me back... it made me cry cause it hurt, I still haven't told my Mum and Dad to this day because they would have gone mental! I didn't realise with being so young that I was queue jumping but it really upset me... bless! There's my sob story for the week but since that day i've always had such a bad view of queue jumpers because obviously I learnt the hard way at a very young age that it was wrong!