UK theme parks from another point of view!

AshleeK
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Most blatant queue jumping ever!

Thu May 06, 2010 4:05 pm

"Benedique" wrote:
Anyway for my 6th birthday my Mum and Dad took me and a group of my friends to camelot instead of having a party. Just as we were about to queue up for pendragons plunge (a water slide) I got stung by a wasp so my Dad took me to the first aid room to get the sting out, whilst my friends all got in the queue. I came back and went through the queue saying 'excuse me please can I get to my friends' (bearing in mind I had only turned 6 that day) a rather tall man turned round and said 'No you can't! you can (insert swear word here) wait like the rest of us!' and grabbed my wrist and pushed me back... it made me cry cause it hurt

There's a massive difference between teenage chavs and little girls, that man just sounds cruel :evil:

TheOneWho

Thu May 06, 2010 5:07 pm

"D-Man" wrote:
Well said! :clap: It's exactly this that really does my nut in when I go to AT. I live in Scotland so only get to go to the park once a year :cry: It's very annoying, and after the long trip I have made it just seems annoying that people think that they can just push past to the front. If their friends are at the front and they want to get to them, then they should have joined the queue with them at the time. :x :x :x

I have seen people waiting outside Air's queue at the fence and when they notice their friends are near the front they just push past everybody. This is not right and it isn't fair for those who have waited for a long period of time to ride. I really think that AT need to monitor this and stop these idiots but I don't know how they could do this...

MAybe have staff at certain points in the line to stop people trying to get past? Would be boring but would give everybody a fair chance. :lol: :P

I also live in Scotland and so At is a bit of trek, and an expensive one at that. I've not been in years and when I go in June I won't be standing for anyone trying to jump the queue. I don't stand for it anywhere, and if I see someone do it they will get told. It happens all the time in the Orange Wednesday queues for Cineworld. I find that as soon as one person pipes up about them the rest of the crowd will follow.

I don't think it is necessarily AT staff who should take responsibility, maybe just if more people say and/or stop them. Obviously no one wants to end up getting stabbed or anything, but the chances of that are pretty slim. You probably will get some abuse though, but you may also get a round of applause from the rest of the queue. They're all standing there getting annoyed at the queue-jumpers too.

DiogoJ42

Thu May 06, 2010 5:11 pm

I've never understood why the queues are so wide. If they made them about 18" - 2 feet wide max, it would force people to go in single file. There would be no room for pushing past people, and it would take up less space! :D Also, all queues should have solid fences at least 5 feet high.
Problem solved! :P

henry96
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 06, 2010 6:03 pm

"DiogoJ42" wrote:
I've never understood why the queues are so wide. If they made them about 18" - 2 feet wide max, it would force people to go in single file. There would be no room for pushing past people, and it would take up less space! :D Also, all queues should have solid fences at least 5 feet high.
Problem solved! :P

I disagree to be honest. :P I hate narrow queues. Ala loggers leap, seems claustrophobic and hard to talk to people. I think queue jumping has to be worst on spinball. Annoying 10 year old chavs. Me and my friends didn't move and had a go at them when they said 'excuse me' :) Although, I'm not sure if this would be queue jumping but a while ago we were in the oblivion queue and my friends went to the vending machine to get a drink and I stayed. They then returned to where I was. Wasn't sure whether it was queue jumping but no one complained.. I often see people cutting from SRQ to Fasttrack after the merge point and really p's me off when I payed £3 for the privilege.

Big C
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 06, 2010 6:08 pm

Found a solution! (sort of)

Use Thropes idea and use SAW's queue line, they cant jump over and dont use filters! Inform riders at the entrance not to let anyone through or past them. Obviously if violence occurs etc. you should inform the coppers or ask Alton if they could do a 'queue jumper alert' system were like saw again if any incovenience is caused you ring a number and something might actually get done!
Secret submission lover.
Who doesn't love that comfy piece of chance?

I am a brass band nerd, deal with it!

stigzy
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 06, 2010 7:10 pm

[quote"Henry"] A while ago we were in the oblivion queue and my friends went to the vending machine to get a drink and I stayed. They then returned to where I was. Wasn't sure whether it was queue jumping but no one complained. [/quote]

Hmm, y'know I've pondered this mystery before! What is the actual correct etiquette for customers of these mid queue line refreshment shops & vending machines (MQLRS&VM) and also those queuing behind them?! I've used these MQLRS&VM's before and my take on it is that I should be allowed to hold my place within the queue. Because effectively, if I purchase something from a MQLRS&VM and those queuing behind me walk on by surely that then makes them queue jumpers. I understand queuing is a very tedious and boring procedure, especially at Alton Towers. But it kind of gets on my nerves somewhat when as per such cases of purchasing goods from MQLRS&VM's that people don't have the patience to just wait. You can actually feel them breathing down your neck almost.

Queue Jumpers: I hate them! I've experienced all the usual cases as described by all the above posts, but the worst case I've experienced has to go to the Blue Fire queue line at Europa Park. The queue line on Blue fire is good in that it's a weavey queue line and goes in and around the coaster itself. But the problem with the queue is that it's so wide you could fit a bus down it. It's so wide that it's just not fit to be a queue because people treat it more like any normal pathway and tend to walk faster/jog on in front. The only way we got around these people walking in front of us was to create a human queue block. It took almost 5-6 of us to walk in a horizontal line down the queue line to prevent those behind us pushing in front. But would you Adam and Eve it, even then, people behind were jumping up on the small bank/wall and walking by us. It's quite shocking tbh, I'd actually go to say Blue Fire promotes the worst queuing etiquette out of all the queue lines I've been in. The best queue line etiquette I would say goes to anywhere in America.

Elliot
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 06, 2010 8:37 pm

I really hate queue jumpers! I was at Thorpe last weekend and the amount of people I saw pulled over by security, it must have happened a good 5-6 times, and I was shocked as I'd never seen anything done about it before. But I must credit Thorpe for the way they do it. They see people have queue jumped to be with their friends and then go in the station and wait until they've ended queueing and are in the station and then get them. That really makes me laugh!

But I must say when I was at the Towers on over the opening weekend, on the Sunday when Th13teen was a walk-on, we went through the SRQ and then crossed over to the main queue at the baggage section, but that was de to really just pure laziness. I would never do that if the queue was outside the building.

Instant Mix
TT Member
TT Member

Fri May 07, 2010 8:42 pm

I can remember , quite a few years back , I was in the single riders queue for air and , don't call racist , but a group of black people suddenly barged to the front of the queue stating "the person at the front told us to go here" when there was clearly nobody in the front. Everybody became annoyed and a security guard came not much long after.

The thing was , I was on oblivion a few rides after it , and I noticed on the ride pictures I could see the face of one of the people in the group. He wasn't scared or frightened , he was staring directly into the camera

I'd be surprised if any of you guys were there at the time

Danny

Fri May 07, 2010 8:57 pm

Was in the queue for Rita at the Scarefest last year so quite a lot of people were dressed up in costumes and stuff for Halloween. About 20 people in total pushed past me and my mate in the queue in a time period of 45 mintues. The guy in front of us was getting really peeved off and he saw a Wraith heading towards the entrance of the Rita queue. So he shouted at the top of his voice " I SWEAR TO GOD IF YOU THINK YOUR JOINING THIS QUEUE SO YOU CAN PUSH PAST YOU CAN P*SS OFF MATE! The whole queue went silent and just stared at him. Then this girl not far ahead of us just whispered to him " I think he works for Alton Towers..." He had no idea and the whole queue just started to laugh quietly at his failure :lol:

Leigh
TT Member
TT Member

Sun May 09, 2010 8:12 pm

I did see a very annoying, dangerous and stupid piece of queue jumping in the Monorail queue. The queue really wasn't that big, and I am sure it really wasn't out of order of them to wait another 1-2 minutes. However, an entire family of people (3 adults, 3 children and a PUSHCHAIR) queue jumped over to the ramp, by stopping everyone from going past, picking up the pushchair (with the child still in the pushchair :shock:)and carrying it over the bar. We were, understandably, livid about this, as they not only queue jumped over a VERY short queue, but held back the queue line and caused it to back up outside, causing more extensions to be made open. :x [-X

Groller1000
TT Member
TT Member

Mon May 10, 2010 4:42 pm

i have very recently seen quue jumping on th13teen! these 2 boys jumped the fence from the single rider to the normal quue! some people just walked through the normal quue lane instead of the single rider one! ( i mean just after the baggage hold on th13teen.

James6
TT Member
TT Member

Mon May 10, 2010 5:03 pm

Once for Thirteen a ride host left that silver gate open next to the bag hatch area and so many people just ran straight back around after riding, which was very frustrating. So obviously told the member of staff and they just didn't care :( Unusually bad member of staff.
If you go down to the Towers today, you\'d better ride Th13teen. :P

davidju71

Mon May 10, 2010 7:55 pm

Credit to everyone that does try to stop queue jumpers but I have found it ruins my day more by getting a load of abuse when saying something to them. Now I let them go. Yes they shouldn't get away with it but these chavs won't change.

"Instant Mix" wrote:
I can remember , quite a few years back , I was in the single riders queue for air and , don't call racist , but a group of black people suddenly barged to the front of the queue stating "the person at the front told us to go here" when there was clearly nobody in the front.

I'm not saying you are racist but why mention they were black?

jack030894
TT Member
TT Member

Tue May 11, 2010 11:34 am

Yeh i went with my school. My friends were queuing for ripsaw (don't like ripsaw lol) and these other people from my school jumped the gate right to the front and pushed in it was really busy as well but us school kids are the worst its probably because our teachers and that don't let us stay long enough :(

Crofty

Tue May 11, 2010 11:44 am

"stigzy" wrote:
What is the actual correct etiquette for customers of these mid queue line refreshment shops & vending machines (MQLRS&VM) and also those queuing behind them?! I've used these MQLRS&VM's before and my take on it is that I should be allowed to hold my place within the queue. Because effectively, if I purchase something from a MQLRS&VM and those queuing behind me walk on by surely that then makes them queue jumpers. I understand queuing is a very tedious and boring procedure, especially at Alton Towers. But it kind of gets on my nerves somewhat when as per such cases of purchasing goods from MQLRS&VM's that people don't have the patience to just wait. You can actually feel them breathing down your neck almost.

It's a strange one, it often puts me off buying as I don't want to hold the queue up, nor do i want to be set back back 10 minutes. I'll often only buy if the queue has stopped at that point. I was with my Boy last month in the 13 Queue and as we were approching the MQLRS&VM :P point I sent him ahead so we didn't hold the queue up too much, I then stood in the way at the kiosk so people had to wait. It make no odds at the end of the day anyway to the queue line as you'll just have less time to wait after the MQLRS&VM point. :lol:

"Benedique" wrote:
for my 6th birthday my Mum and Dad took me and a group of my friends to camelot instead of having a party. Just as we were about to queue up for pendragons plunge (a water slide) I got stung by a wasp so my Dad took me to the first aid room to get the sting out, whilst my friends all got in the queue. I came back and went through the queue saying 'excuse me please can I get to my friends' (bearing in mind I had only turned 6 that day) a rather tall man turned round and said 'No you can't! you can (insert swear word here) wait like the rest of us!' and grabbed my wrist and pushed me back... it made me cry cause it hurt!

Thats really sad, i'd hate for something like that to happen to my kids and for them not to tell me. Nasty man. :evil:

We had an instance on the Th13teen opening day in which some teenage chav girls wanted to get in front of up to their friends and we refused. We told the girls in front that they could go behind up to be with the rest of their friends but they wouldn't have any of it. We had about 20minutes of rowing, before we gave up. It was easier than having a tedious queue wait made worse. We were going to report them at the entrance but thought what's the point. If they don't get kicked out we'll look like big kids moaning. :roll:

xameliax
TT Member
TT Member

Tue May 11, 2010 2:11 pm

I can't stand people who queue jump. It's so frustrating.

My friend and I have confronted a few people before using the old 'oh my mates are just over there' excuse. Holding a place for your friends is still queue jumping! It's on signs everywhere!

We've been lucky not to have people shout at us about it because we stood our ground, but i admit, it can be scary sometimes.

My other pet peeve is people smoking in the queue. I think it's absolutely disgusting that they have no regard for others health and comfort. In fact, a group of teenagers lit up in front of me and my boyfriend yesterday, right next to a little girl in the queue for th13rteen. I was so angry but too shy to say anything. Wish i had now! ...but that's another topic altogether!

I really think Alton Towers should crack down on queue jumping more by placing staff in the queues to monitor them, and have a chat to people along the way!

xax

Krispy101
TT Member
TT Member

Tue May 11, 2010 10:41 pm

Crofty, slightly off topic here, but I'm guessing you were the group of guys in front of us then, I was there with my brother-in-law and we were all laughing about the girls and how they were being so loud and ridiculous. I think the best quote from them was "We won't go back to our friends as that will make the queue longer." LOL.

gazag

Tue May 11, 2010 11:15 pm

i've got a bit of an ufortunate nickname at work for this, towers troll

im in a theme park as often as possible, this year so fat i haven't been 14 days without a thrill ride, anyway i see que jumping quite abit.
i have confronted people, told personal, told security even to the point of stoping teenage chavs and having a quiet word to which point if they hurl abuse at me (has happened a few times) i go further and start embarrassing them in a loud voice at which point they quiet down and stay where they are.
school kids are not bad but nieve and excited so a quick glare and a quiet word slows them up for the day. and big guys who think there hard turn out not to be when you turn around and face them eye to eye.
but why should i have to do this? this should be the parks job right? i was once a bouncer ar a walsall nightclub and i do know how to deal with misbehaving people to put it in a light science but i shouldn't have to do this. shurely its the park job and until the park deals with it (finger points mostly at alton towers, blackpool, flamingloand and drayton manor) then i will continue

Dogbert
TT Member
TT Member

Wed May 12, 2010 8:03 am

"gazag" wrote:
but why should i have to do this? this should be the parks job right? i was once a bouncer ar a walsall nightclub and i do know how to deal with misbehaving people to put it in a light science but i shouldn't have to do this. shurely its the park job and until the park deals with it (finger points mostly at alton towers, blackpool, flamingloand and drayton manor) then i will continue

Well, short of the park having security stationed at several points in every queueline, they cannot stop queue-jumping from occuring. They need us to report it. I agree that more should be done, but there is a limit to what the park can do alone.
What, you were expecting something witty?

dont look down 2005
TT Member
TT Member

Wed May 12, 2010 11:16 am

Could more security camera's be the answer?

I only say this because of the brilliant dealing of queujumping I saw at Thorpe Park once.

Saw had been closed all day and opened right at the end. Obviously this led to a mad rush as everyone wanted to get on. It also saw absolutley LOADS of people jumping over the fences and not alot most of us could do about it.

But a few moments after it happened and the queue had settled down again, we got an announcement over the loudspeaker saying everyone who had just jumped over the fences had been caught on CCTV and security were coming down to remove them from the queue. this was met with a round of applause from most!

Now I'm not sure if anyone was ever going to come down, but it did the trick. Every single person who had queuejumped, jumped back over the fences and went to the back of the queue.

Definitely the best handling of queujumping I've ever seen and I've love Towers and other places to implement it also...