UK theme parks from another point of view!

Which one is better?

Poll runs till Mon Oct 10, 2050 8:21 pm

Alton Towers
108 (96%)
Thorpe Park
5 (4%)

Total votes: 113

TheJigsawWraith
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Alton Towers Or Thorpe Park?

Sat May 22, 2010 11:10 am

Which park would you consider the best? I think Thorpe is a lot better than alton but my family disagree. Please include reasons for your argument.

AstroDan

Re: Alton Towers Or Thorpe Park?

Sat May 22, 2010 11:26 am

This is a classic argument, and one that only Alton are going to win here.

Thorpe Park is a small theme park with a number of high thrill rides, and very poor family/childrens rides. It tends to have longer queues due to the fact that there are no places for people to "escape" to and attracts a younger audience of say 13-30 by average. This creates a certain atmosphere which, at times, is not necessarily a good one.

Alton Towers attracts many more guests per season, is coupled with resort hotels, a water park, golf and spa and is one of the mosty beautiful settings of any park in the world. It also has more rides which includes many more for families and children along with shows and entertainers. In addition, Alton is a park filled with innovation whereas Thorpe, although home to some quality rollercoasters, tends to build attractions which have already been done before whereas Alton tends to be more innovative with world/european first technology involved with many attractions.

Aside from the teen market which, even then, is catered for perfectly at Alton Towers, Thorpe Park simply cannot compete with the scale at Alton Towers and is genuinely small-play by comparison. I think even Thorpe Park management would concede they are not in the same league as Alton however, for a thrillseekers park, they do OK.

It is for this reason that Alton Towers attracts around 50% more guests per year than Thorpe Park.

James6
TT Member
TT Member

Sat May 22, 2010 11:28 am

^ Excellently summed up, even if I think your being kind to Thorpe :wink:

To me, there is not a single thing better about Thorpe than Alton.

-The atmosphere at Thorpe is extremely uncomfortable
-The rides are good, just not worth anywhere near the queue's they get e.g. having so many extremely low capacity rides
-Theming is relatively poor, and there's no "experience/day out" kind of feeling.

Really just don't enjoy my trips to Thorpe unless I'm in a huge group.

Can I ask why you think Thorpe is better than Alton? :?
If you go down to the Towers today, you\'d better ride Th13teen. :P

TheJigsawWraith
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Sat May 22, 2010 11:38 am

James6, the main reason I think thorpe is better than alton is because I don't find any of the rides at alton are thrilling enough (however I haven't been on th13teen, oblivion, submission or ripsaw) whereas thorpe has Saw, Collosus, Tidal wave and loggers leap to name a few and I thoroughly enjoy them. the only rides i haven't been on at thorpe were Stealth, Saw Alive, and detonator which I will do on my next visit.

as for the atmosphere of the parks I'm not too bothered. I'd rather have no atmosphere than little children running around the park screaming about wanting to go on soinc spinball because to be honest that seriously does annoy me.

as for the surroundings why would i want to look at them, surely you go to a theme parks to go on the rides ?

AstroDan

Sat May 22, 2010 11:43 am

If you go to a theme park just for the rides, then why bother with a "theme". Parks like Phantasialand, Europa-Park, Universal, Disney which are regarded as some of the best worldwide, completely depend on the "theme" to provide that escapism which so many people crave from a theme park. Are you saying Saw would be better if the whole thing was outside? Would Tidal Wave really be better if it was just sat there with no effort at the "look"?

Alton has families, young people - an entire demographic of the population. When you only aim to attract younger visitors (13-30), you are going to have more problems with things like anti social behaviour, litter, queue jumping etc. - which TP aknowledge with their airport scanners and text-hotline for these sorts of things.

Indeed, should you only regard parks good or bad depending on how intense a ride is, then please - do stay at Thorpe and leave Alton for those looking for a more complete day out that satisfies you in more ways than just leaving you shaken. That said, I find it hard to believe you'd rate Colossus over most of the rollercoasters at Alton Towers...!

:)

SIMR
TT Member
TT Member

Sat May 22, 2010 1:27 pm

Did you go to the same Alton Towers as us? :shock: Have you even SEEN Nemesis? :shock:

I always thought that Thorpe Park looked like a cheap scaled down version of Alton, + chavs.
Nemesis Inferno = a cheap rip off of Nemesis
Saw = a cheap rip off of Oblivion
Stealth = a cheap rip off of Rita (although I do admit Rita was crap as QOS, but looks better now)
Colossus = a frantic attempt to get a world first.

The only thing I will say about Thorpe, is that it has better flats. Theming, experience, enjoyment and atmosphere are definitely won by Alton, imo.

Vik
TT Member
TT Member

Sat May 22, 2010 1:33 pm

I guess it all depends on what you are looking for. If you just want some thrills n spills, then Thorpe Park is the place to go, but if you want that little bit of escapism from everyday life, then Alton Towers it is.

So for me it is Alton Towers, as it provides the perfect escapism for me. As well as the rides, you can feel immersed in the surroundings, and if need be even get away from the fact you are at a Theme Park by spending time wondering around the ruins and the Gardens. Thorpe Park, as good as a lot of the rides are, just does not offer that level of escapism which I am looking for.

I also often find the atmosphere at Thorpe rather intimidating, I often feel theres always an air of hostility about the place. I find Alton Towers has a much more relaxing atmosphere, and generally gives me the better day out over Thorpe park.
Sent from my ZX81 via Time Travel

James6
TT Member
TT Member

Sat May 22, 2010 2:02 pm

I do personally prefer to be comfortable at my day out and I thoroughly believe that thrilling rides are not always the best. I love how at Alton there is such a range of types of rides and that is one of the many reasons I prefer it to Thorpe.

There's fun rides e.g. Spinball
Thrilling e.g. Nemesis and Oblivion
Thrilling and fun mixed e.g. Thirteen
Family e.g. Duel, Flume, Rapids
And then all the kids rides that are still enjoyable for the older ones e.g. CATCF

Aswell as that the rides are simply better as well as the queue's in general, in terms of layout, theming and movement (capacity of rides).

Like Dan said if all you want are rides, by all means stay at Thorpe :D I personally love the fact that Alton is such an experience and such an enjoyable day out and that's also why Chessington is also ankles,shins,knees,stomach, shoulders and head above Thorpe.

:)
If you go down to the Towers today, you\'d better ride Th13teen. :P

[Archive]

Sat May 22, 2010 3:04 pm

"bennyboy-92" wrote:
Nemesis Inferno = a cheap rip off of Nemesis
Saw = a cheap rip off of Oblivion
Stealth = a cheap rip off of Rita (although I do admit Rita was crap as QOS, but looks better now)
Colossus = a frantic attempt to get a world first.
To be fair to Thorpe Park none of those rides are actually rip offs from other rides at Alton Towers. None of them are 'cheap' in any sense, really.

Yes, they had that silly 'Nemesis sister coaster' idea when they built Nemesis Inferno, but in no way does it actually try to copy the original Nemesis other than the ride model. It has a quite lovely and authentic volcano structure built around the ride with good effects such as the smoking volcano, fire tunnel and water features on the loop and helix. It is, in my opinion, a successful rollercoaster for both thrills and theming - not another botch job.

Then we have Saw, which is entirely different to Oblivion. Its based on a horror movie theme, has a differnt ride model, different manufacturer, has inversions and a dark ride section. I can see why you do want to compare it to Oblivion (the drop), but the same drop is found on all rollercoasters of Saw's type - it is a standard feature for Eurofighters.

Thirdly, Stealth is certainly not a rip off from Rita. Rita is quite frankly the worse ride from the two and is more of a rip off than Stealth is. You can't really compare them in the big picture because, besides ride model and launch, they are totally different. I admit, however, that Stealth is a rip off of other Intamin launched coasters around the world; there must be loads of 'top hatting' launched coasters now.

I agree with what everybody is saying, but Alton Towers and Thorpe Park are in seperate leagues to each other. One is fairly recent and small, but becoming ever more popular with older children, teenagers and thrill seekers (and as pointed out 'chavs') as a thrill park. The other is a 30 year old, all-round thrill and magic theme park that pays attention to atmosphere set in amazing countryside.

Neither of them are trying to compete with each other with rip offs or gimmicks. Well, not in recent years anyway. You can compare them if you want to, but it is quite an unfair argument after all. I think they are both great, even if I do hate Thorpe and love Alton. :P

James
TT Member
TT Member

Sat May 22, 2010 5:30 pm

I prefer Alton out the both of them, my reasons are pretty much the same reasons that have already been mentioned. I feel like I've escaped at Alton, there's a good variety of rides to choose from, the natural landscape is lovely to look at. Obviously it's a matter of opinion on whether you prefer Thorpe or Alton but Alton does it for me, Thorpe just doesn't excite me at all(although there are some decent rides there).

I do find that topic's like these are very stupid to post on a Alton Towers forum :P

SIMR
TT Member
TT Member

Sat May 22, 2010 9:13 pm

ElectricBILL, I see the point you are making. Still, I feel that the rides look cheap compared to Alton's. I didn't mean that the ride layouts and theming were exactly similar, just the idea. Stealth = racing coaster built after Rita. Saw = (over) vertical coaster built after Oblivion. Nemesis Inferno = inverted coaster built after Nemesis. It would've been nice to see Thorpe come up with something original, a coaster not seen in the UK - a good woodie maybe, or a B&M sit down instead of an inverted (because I don't follow Thorpe I don't know how much room they have, so feel free to laugh at my idea :P )

PatrickAT
TT Member
TT Member

Sat May 22, 2010 9:43 pm

Alton Towers without a doubt. Not only does it have better rides than Thorpe, it also as a much better atmosphere.

AltonThorpe
TT Member
TT Member

Sat May 22, 2010 11:23 pm

You can say Nemesis Inferno is a "cheap rip-off" of Nemesis, it's a B&M Inverted, like Nemesis, built after Nemesis, the themeing is strange on Nemesis Inferno and the volcano is made of plastic, how does the "Nemesis" fit in with a volcano, why didn't they call it "Volcano Inferno" or something that Thorpe made up, rather then just taking a name and adding to it, this is just my opinion by the way, but I just think Nemesis Inferno ruins Nemesis, I am from the South of England, where everyone refers to Nemesis Inferno as Nemesis (I have to correct them of course) but they also think that Nemesis Inferno was the "first" and when I talk about Nemesis they say "isn't it like exactly the same as Nemesis Inferno" :cry:
England 38-21 New Zealand - 1st December 2012

Twickenham Stadium

moog666
TT Member
TT Member

Sun May 23, 2010 1:18 am

"TheJigsawWraith" wrote:
I haven't been on th13teen, oblivion, submission or ripsaw...

i haven't been on Stealth, Saw Alive, and detonator

So what your saying is you have drawn your conclusion without really experiencing all of the evidence?

If you must make jokes about Steve Jobs, Try to keep them PC.

PeteB
TT Member
TT Member

Sun May 23, 2010 4:28 am

You're on the wrong forum asking questions like this.

No one can deny towers is the ultimate location regardless of everything else.

Mick
TT Member
TT Member

Sun May 23, 2010 12:27 pm

For my money, Alton Towers is the best:
  • Great theming and escapism - a pleasure to be there always
  • Good respite from the thrill rides, with family rides, gardens, Towers, sharkbait reef, Mutiny Bay shows
  • Beautiful, truly stunning surroundings
  • Fantastic, family atmosphere, spliced with a seam of magic
  • Rides are maintained for smooth operation and great throughput
  • Staff are really friendly and endeavour to make your day

And regarding the above conversations, Saw: The Ride is nothing like Oblivion. So they share one similar element? Does that mean every steel coaster in existence, with a vertical loop, is a rip-off of American Revolution at Magic Mountain? Of course not!

And regarding Nemesis (N) vs. Nemesis Inferno (NI). I blow hot and cold on Nemesis Inferno (no pun intended :)) It's the same model with almost the same elements to it, but they are so very different. The last-but-one time I went to Thorpe, I actually enjoyed NI better than I remembered. However, on my last trip to Thorpe, which came shortly after a trip to AT, NI was again a big disappointment. On that day, its only redeeming feature was that it's much smoother than the other rides at Thorpe.

For me, plus points for Thorpe are:

• Good selection of thrill rides
  • Very close by

I get bored of Thorpe by the end of a day there, after I've been on all the biggies a couple of times. I recently had a two-day trip to Alton, and could still have done another day. It's just a different world.

I'll also give Thorpe a couple of credits: on the last trip, I noticed that Amity Beach area is actually very well themed, probably as good as anything at Alton. Particularly the area around Stealth (I probably didn't notice last time as Stealth was closed!). It's just a shame that the rest of the park doesn't follow suit, notably Calypso Quay, which smacks too much of 'hint of car park'.

You could also say that the rides' proximity is a plus - but I find this makes the park boring after a bit. At Alton, it's a trek to get to another area, so you make the most of one area before going to another.

Here's another take on it, from a rides perspective. Now, I totally disagree with whoever above said that Alton doesn't have any thrilling rides! Nemesis and Oblivion are two of the most thrilling rides I've ever been on, anywhere. And its other main rides are decent thrill rides too. But that avoids the question I was going to pose: if you could pick up any of Thorpe's rides and plonk them at Alton, which would it be? (or vice versa).

For me, I'd pick Saw: The Ride. The theming is really good and I just love the ride, it's very different to anything at AT. I love the dark section inside, for me this is the real winner of the ride; it has a great, very intense outdoor section; and it gets probably the best throughput at Thorpe, meaning it'd fit in well at Alton, complementing Alton's existing line-up quite well. I don't know where you'd put it, but that's another thread :)
There\'s plenty of room at the bottom!

Macca79
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:25 pm

Hi all i prefer the Towers over Thorpe for many of the same reasons posted all ready ie the escapism,Better rides (imo) plus being able to stay in a hotel and continue your trip into the evening/night. but key for me is the service i've received in both places.
In thorpe i nearly always seme to find the uninterested staff members rude and un helpful so much so i've now given up going there.
At the Towers i find the staff members more than willing to help and go that extra mile to solve your issues/queries to keep that magical feel to your trip.

Blaze

Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:25 pm

Staff
Rides
Atmoshpere
Hotel
Escapism
Amazing setting
All types of people catered for
Great maintainance and general runnign of park, rides and hotel

Just some of the reasons Alton Towers is just leagues ahead of Thorpe. And every other UK park for that matter.

NeilHD
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:57 pm

I live close(ish) to Thorpe (compared to Alton!).

I've been once to Thorpe this year and that was because it was the first place I could get my Merlin passes from. I went to Alton for the first time this weekend and thought it was awesome. The day after getting back I booked a hotel for another weekend away in a few weeks time. I have no plans to go back to Thorpe (although I'll visit Chessie several times before I go back to Alton - it's even closer for me).

Alton - awesome place. Loved it. Best theme park in the UK by a country mile. Not quite up to Disney/Universal standards but that's ok. It's it's own park, if you see what I mean. Great mixture of stuff to entertain my whole family (4,13,30-something).

Thorpe - total dump. It's just a big concrete place with some (very good) rides and some chavs in it. Hardly any theming, it's too small so has massive queues, full of idiots, nothing for my 4-yr old to do apart from some baby rides and the flying fish ride.

The fact that I would rather drive 3 1/2 hours and pay for a hotel than visit Thorpe should say enough.

Mr P

Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:35 pm

I have to say, Alton wins over Thorpe easy! With the atmosphere, the thrills, the fun, the frights, Towers just has it all!
Although, a HUGE factor in my decsion is the On-Park Security. If a park's security wears Stab-vests, then that puts me off a bit...