UK theme parks from another point of view!

Which one is better?

Poll runs till Mon Oct 10, 2050 8:21 pm

Alton Towers
108 (96%)
Thorpe Park
5 (4%)

Total votes: 113

Big Dave

Re: Alton Towers Or Thorpe Park?

Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:26 pm

Ok you come to an Alton Towers forum and post in the Alton Towers general topic...What else did you expect to happen!?! LOL

pompeymich
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:01 am

Gotta be AT by a long way - for me, theme parks are all about the theming. AT has it, TP doesn't.

Interesting that Bill reckons that TP is the 'more recent' park. I remember visiting it in 1979 when it first opened, so it isn't that recent! But it was unrecognisable back then - it was more of an educational experience with models of famous sites from around the world, and replicas of ships (like Viking longboats). If they had continued to develop in that vein, it could potentially have turned into a UK version of Epcot.

It now holds no interest for me whatsoever.
I\'m not overweight, just under-tall!

SAW_gameover
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:27 am

"Mr P" wrote:
Although, a HUGE factor in my decsion is the On-Park Security. If a park's security wears Stab-vests, then that puts me off a bit...

It's a sign of the times, if security wearing stab vests puts you off, think about he amount of knives around you when walking through London. :) Can't blame Thorpe for protecting its staff, your at as much risk as being anywhere else (Although Thorpe is a 'chav' hotspot)
[size=125]http://www.ukparknews.co.uk
UK Park News - Your Dedicated Theme Park Resource

zs chris
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:03 pm

You cant seriously post this in the AT General section, on an AT fansite and expect to get the answer you're after!

Its a known fact that most of the regular posters on this site are in no way at all fans of TP (Doesn't stop you from going though, hey guys ;) ) And it seems to me it has just become the 'norm' to slander the park on here :P

Personally I don't hate TP, its a few miles from my dad when I visit and we always have a trip there, and I never really experience any of the horror stories some of the people write on here about. (Other than the reliabilty, but not to the extent ive heard of)

Having said that, the park is nowhere near on the level of AT, its a resort, and is possible to spend a good few enjoyable days there without feeling you have to re-do things to justify your spending.

Whereas TP, on a quiet day before, Ive been finished on what I wanted to go on by 1pm and been out the door to the pub (not a bad thing though :D )

TP is directly targeted at me, but if I had the choice of which one to instantly visit, it'd be AT.

Merlin
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:09 pm

Alton Towers for me any day.

Thorpe Park always feel more like an amusement park as apose to a theme park.

Alton Towers you can unwind in a relaxing atmosphere as appose to being wound up at Thorpe Park.

I can see why people rave about Thorpe Park, it is full of thrill rides after thrill ride, I personally rather go for quality over quantity. The best rides at Alton is Nemi and Obliv. For me the best ride at Thorpe is Saw and that dosen't come any where near as close for being good as Nemi or Obliv.

I agree with all of the above pro-Alton posts with out having to repeat them.

"electricBlll" wrote:
Thirdly, Stealth is certainly not a rip off from Rita. Rita is quite frankly the worse ride from the two and is more of a rip off than Stealth is. You can't really compare them in the big picture because, besides ride model and launch, they are totally different. I admit, however, that Stealth is a rip off of other Intamin launched coasters around the world; there must be loads of 'top hatting' launched coasters now.

I visit Thorpe early last month and got speaking to the women in the guest services about Stealth, they said that Stealth and Rita is one ride split into two. Originally the 200ft top hatting on Stealth was planned to be at the start of Rita, but planning permision for Alton would not allow for the height, but Thorpe did not have room for the full ride, so they split the ride into two with Thorpe having the start of the ride and Alton having the rest of the ride. So That is what they told me.

So how much do my wife and I like Thorpe? Well Needless to say, my wife and I only stayed in Thorpe for half a day and then we went on to enjoy the rest of the day at Chessington which we both had already visited the day before, we have no plans to go back to Thorpe this year, but are both already planning a few more trips back to Alton this year.

Anonymous

Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:29 pm

Well thats an easy one.

The thing is though, you have to remember thorpe park is alot younger than alton towers. IMO its only after Collossus that thorpe became a recognised park, wheras alton has been a popular park for much longer. Alton have had alot longer to achieve where they are now, and thorpe have only really, when you think about it, have had 10 years to get where they are now, so the 'crappyness' can kind of be expected (Collossus was thorpes first big coaster)

mats
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:40 pm

Towers for me - due to the magic of the place.

And another thing - hate Thorpe's marketing on their website and POP.
http://www.ukparknews.co.uk

themealgang
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:51 pm

I must say, this is quite hard. I have been to THORPE PARK a few times and I have always enjoyed myself. The thrill rides on offer at Thorpe is pretty impressive in anyone’s books. In particular, their selection of flat rides: Slammer has to be one of the most insane rides I have ridden and enjoyed!

Unlike AT, Thorpe seems to add a lot more major attractions year on year which always keeps people wanting more. However, the park is still young with its "thrill capital" status, tacky in areas, attracts at times the wrong crowds and the queues and down time at times can be un-real!

I will still always love Alton Towers though due to its size, history and Nemesis. No B&M invert will ever beat that beauty, but maybe that is just being bias. :D

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

kingda dude
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:46 pm

I have been to both parks and I feel the same as most people on this thread, Alton is better.

The rides and areas in Thorpe I found where under themed and not well thought out, it was hard to tell if there even was a theme. Thorpe is a very Generic park, which is not very good. Where as Alton is a well themed park which I feel makes the experience allot better.

A roller coaster without good theming is like coca-cola without caramel food colouring, it tastes just as good, but it just doesn't look as good as it could be.

Honestly if you where given a choice of two identical roller coasters and you could only ride one. The first one has amazing theming with trenches and waterfalls and the other is painted in plain colours on a block of concrete. Which one would you ride?
"The Marmalisation Process has been scientifically designed to ensure a sense of euphoria and satisfaction should be had by all... There are no, known, Long Term side effects to the Marmalisation process, however short term side effects may include: dizziness, vomiting, loss of balance, loss of limb control, feinting, wild hallucinations but most importantly Smiles!"

bradpeet
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:57 pm

"kingda dude" wrote:
Honestly if you where given a choice of two identical roller coasters and you could only ride one. The first one has amazing theming with trenches and waterfalls and the other is painted in plain colours on a block of concrete. Which one would you ride?

I know what you mean - and I do prefer Alton Towers to Thorpe Park, although it is a close call.

To take things to the extreme, look at the Disney parks. The experience is complete immersive and pretty amazing. But the rides themselves just aren't amazing, are they?

henry96
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:11 pm

Alton Towers, no question.

I really enjoy days at Thorpe, I visit about once a year for 2 days often, and get Ultimate Fasttrack for at least one of the days because the queues can get too much sometimes. :shock:

However, I can enjoy Alton Towers so much more without any fasttrack which is down to better throughput, better reliability and more selection of rides.

Also, although I don't often go to the gardens because people I'm with never want to, the atmosphere is amazing. :) The themed areas are really immersive, which isn't the case at Thorpe. The areas are too close together and not very definable, the rides are barely themed with the obvious exception of SAW, and it's often hard to tell which ride area you're in.

The chavs are also really annoying. In many ways, they ruin my day. Make you feel uncomfortable and the fact that they need stab vests and signs for a text hotline proves this. It's fine if you're in a group, but say if you go on a ride whilst people wait for you, it's not fun to say the least. :|

This is a bit of a biased survey however, try posting this on TPM or the Thorpe facebook page and I'm sure the response will be different. :lol: 'Alton towrz iz well boringgg, liak none of the rides go upside town' etc.. 8)
Last edited by henry96 on Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fredward

Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:38 pm

Alton Towers of course!

for the same reasons already posted...

I will always prefer Alton because it pretty much has exactly the same amount of giant thrill rollercoaster's but also has something to cater to the remainder of the family, Alton has a target audience of pretty much everyone!

Thorpe park however only has the giant thrill rollercoasters and almost no Kids rides (matter of time before there gone too). And because they only have intense rides they label themselves as the thrill capital of England...

Alton Towers is by far superior because they are the thrill capital and family capital all in one park.

In response to a message posted near the beginning, I'd rather have little kids running around and having fun, then have chavs running around causing grief and intimidating other visitors.

ianzzr11
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:07 pm

Well for me, Thorpe gets it just because it seems to have more thrill rides. Stealth a rita rip off is frankly laughable. If the 2 were side by side which would you go on? Nemi inferno is a great ride just as good as the original although the theming is missing. Saw, good ride (no oblivion though). If you want to be scared try Rush. Now that ripsaw is tired and really does not do it anymore. Detonator is a great drop ride. Thrill rides at alton? Nemi, oblivion and rita. 3 isnt really enough is it? It seems they are focussing more on thrill rides at Thorpe. Theyre not putting Kiddi rides in like 13. Worlds first yeah (what was that? biggest waste of money on a ride) Would rather have had the corksrew. I dint want to go and look at an aquiriem (if i did Id go to blue planet). I dont want to wander around Gardens. I want a thrill. Alton should look after the poeple that made it what it is (thrill seekers )

fredward

Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:24 pm

you need to look at your history.. Alton was made famous by family's, thrill seekers included, but not the only target audience...

Alton has variation, Thorpe get's boring, I went to Thorpe 4 times last year, only because it's the easiest park to get to,

Now ever since my friend got his driving liscence we've prefered to drive 3 hours, to get to Alton then 1.5 hours to get to Thorpe,

The atmosphere in Alton is better by far.

Honestly nothing at Thorpe park or Alton Towers scare me, I've been on so many rides i don't even get much adrenaline, but the experiences you get at Alton Towers are greater then the ones you get at Thorpe.

bradpeet
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:50 pm

"ianzzr11" wrote:
Well for me, Thorpe gets it just because it seems to have more thrill rides. Stealth a rita rip off is frankly laughable. If the 2 were side by side which would you go on? Nemi inferno is a great ride just as good as the original although the theming is missing. Saw, good ride (no oblivion though). If you want to be scared try Rush. Now that ripsaw is tired and really does not do it anymore. Detonator is a great drop ride. Thrill rides at alton? Nemi, oblivion and rita. 3 isnt really enough is it? It seems they are focussing more on thrill rides at Thorpe. Theyre not putting Kiddi rides in like 13. Worlds first yeah (what was that? biggest waste of money on a ride) Would rather have had the corksrew. I dint want to go and look at an aquiriem (if i did Id go to blue planet). I dont want to wander around Gardens. I want a thrill. Alton should look after the poeple that made it what it is (thrill seekers )

How is Th13teen a kiddie ride?

You make some valid points. And Thorpe Park exists for people like you, who are only interested in rides. Although I do wonder sometimes why they are not more honest there and stop messing about with theming - it's an added cost which their target audience just don't appreciate. Although it is only this year that it has started to be marketed as the "Thrill Capital" of the UK, so perhaps Merlin wish to separate it from the rest of their attractions.

SAW is an interesting one - in many ways it's inside section is more thrilling that the usual Eurofighter element that follows it.

Obviously Merlin have 2 other parks near to Thorpe which they can target at those who want more than just thrill rides, so I would actually expect to see less theming and more bare thrill rides as time goes by.

And when you ask about if I saw Rita and Stealth side by side? I'd ride them both of course :) If it was the 2 versions of Nemsis though, I'd ride the original every time - and probably queue for the front seat, as the near misses are what set the ride apart for me.

CoasterCrazyChris
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:09 pm

"ianzzr11" wrote:

Umm, three thrill rides?

Make that 5. You forgot AIR, and believe it or not Thirteen.

:)

Blaze

Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:30 pm

"ianzzr11" wrote:

Who calls Stealth a Rita rip off? And to be honest, if they were side by side and I had never been on either, I'd seriously consider Rita, it may be slower and lower, but it is a lot longer and isn't a one trick pony.

3 thrill rides? You only listed coasters, and still missed Thirteen (last time I checked, kiddie rides were not 70 foot tall and themed around death) and Air (and last time I checked, any ride that pushes me closer to a black out than Nemesis is easily a thrill ride)! So thrill coasters, Nemesis Infeno, Stealth, Saw and Colossus. That makes 4. So Alton Towers actually has more thrill coasters. Admittedly Thorpe pulls it back on the flat front, but as Alton don't have the space for large flats, that's to be expected. They still do have Ripsaw and Enterprise, and technically, Submision is a thrill ride, and the back row of Blade is actually thrilling...ish.

And the thing with the arguments people like you have, about gardens, Towers and attractions like Sea Life, is that you make it out that you have to walk through the gardens, visit the ruins and go on all the side shows and attractions. Having the gardens and a huge gothic mansion as a back drop makes it more magical. You don't have to directly visit these parts of the park, but having them there makes a difference whether you do or not. Actually visiting them makes an even bigger and better difference, no matter what you would think.

So if all you are interested is thrills, you can have around about the same at Alton Towers, with a better setting and with the bonus of not being stabbed :P

SAW_gameover
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:47 pm

"henry96" wrote:
This is a bit of a biased survey however, try posting this on TPM or the Thorpe facebook page and I'm sure the response will be different. :lol: 'Alton towrz iz well boringgg, liak none of the rides go upside town' etc.. 8)

Sorry I had to pick up on this, but I must say that I am a completely obsessed, Thorpe Park 'fanboy' etc, yet I am happy to admit that Alton towers is a better theme park. Not all of us who love Thorpe are the typical chav characters everyone associates Thorpe with.
[size=125]http://www.ukparknews.co.uk

Blaze

Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:04 pm

But if Alton's FB page is anything to go by, you would be killed for suggesting that AT is better.

"Typical FB page chav" wrote:
WTF blud ow can u say dat alton towerz iz beta dan forpe park! forpe is well beta init coz dey go upside down n faster n actuly hy n stuff so shurup blud coz u iz well thick u stupid ****...

You get the idea. Not all TP fan boys are chavs. Many are. Most FB fans are. Shame. It ruins the reputation of the parks.

CoasterCrazyChris
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:20 pm

Actually, to pick up on the clientele point of each theme park, I'm sorry but Alton Towers is nowhere near immune to the 'chav population' in comparison to Thorpe Park.

If you visit Alton any time during the summer months the place is swarming with groups of chavs, in fact I would say their are just as many chavs at both of the theme parks. Only difference is at Thorpe they have a cockney accent.

:|