UK theme parks from another point of view!

Alton\'s Biggest Fail

Poll runs till Wed Nov 02, 2050 12:13 pm

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
84 (67%)
Duel
14 (11%)
Th13teen
17 (13%)
Rita
11 (9%)

Total votes: 126

PeteB
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Alton's Biggest Fail!

Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:06 pm

4 rides that grind our gears and have let the park down, but which one sucks the most?

Blaze

Re: Alton's Biggest Fail!

Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:11 pm

Thirteen? Rita? Let down? You mean two of their most popular rides? Just because you don't like Thirteen doesn't make it one of their biggest fails, and Rita, for all it's flaws, isn't a bad ride in it's self, it's the placement and lack of effort in design and how it was integrated that let it down.

Duel however ruined an amazing ride, although I understand why they did it, and it is only us enthusiasts who hate it, so I don't think it is their biggest fail. Just a fairly big one.

Charlie on the other hand...wow. What a disgrace. Easily the biggest mistake.

mats
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:13 pm

Is it fair to call any of those attractions a biggest fail? Each has their own merits for the intended customer (techy problems asside).
UK Park News - Your Dedicated Theme Park Resource
http://www.ukparknews.co.uk

NickT04
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:13 pm

Charlie by an epically long mile.

DiogoJ42

Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:14 pm

Charlie. I can't think of a single redeeming feature about it.

PeteB
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:15 pm

"Blaze" wrote:
Thirteen? Rita? Let down? You mean two of their most popular rides? Just because you don't like Thirteen doesn't make it one of their biggest fails, and Rita, for all it's flaws, isn't a bad ride in it's self, it's the placement and lack of effort in design and how it was integrated that let it down.

Duel however ruined an amazing ride, although I understand why they did it, and it is only us enthusiasts who hate it, so I don't think it is their biggest fail. Just a fairly big one.

Charlie on the other hand...wow. What a disgrace. Easily the biggest mistake.

Allow me to defend my poll options lol. Rita is there because it is viewed by many as rushed job, in the wrong place and looks a mess. Th13teen is there because again theres so many mixed opinions of the ride and the general view is that its not the ride they told us it was going to be. Whilest I agree it is fun, I think its very poorly designed.

davidju71

Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:16 pm

Not sure how Thirteen can be a fail when Park numbers are up so much! It's been heaving on 'off-peak' days.

PeteB
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:20 pm

"davidju71" wrote:
Not sure how Thirteen can be a fail when Park numbers are up so much! It's been heaving on 'off-peak' days.

The leisure industry in the UK is currently experiencing a boost thanks to the recession, so how much increase has Th13teen actually made?

Blaze

Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:21 pm

"PeteB" wrote:
Allow me to defend my poll options lol. Rita is there because it is viewed by many as rushed job, in the wrong place and looks a mess. Th13teen is there because again theres so many mixed opinions of the ride and the general view is that its not the ride they told us it was going to be. Whilest I agree it is fun, I think its very poorly designed.

Fair points, to be honest. Thirteen is probably more of a marketing fail than the ride itself, though.

Gloomy Dude
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:25 pm

Charlie and the Disappointment Factory for sure.

Both Charlie and Duel ruined classic rides, but Duel still has its own charm, and you can still see glimmers of the old Haunted House there.

Why you've included Rita and Th13teen with these two is a bit puzzling. Surely the likes of Submission, or even Spinball (which I love by the way) would be more deserving?

For the record, I think two of Alton's biggest fails are removing Dynamo, and running the Runaway Mine Train like a bag of bums. Just seems to get slower every time I visit. All the 'woooos', 'choo choos' and high fiving of hosts feel almost sarcastic these days.
[size=90]For some things there is no rational explanation. There is no way out. There is no happy ending to this story. Welcome to the unknown. Welcome to eternal darkness.

Welcome to Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - The Ride

Deleted
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:52 pm

"DiogoJ42" wrote:
Charlie. I can't think of a single redeeming feature about it.

The Exit

[Archive]

Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:13 pm

"PeteB" wrote:
4 rides that grind our gears and have let the park down, but which one sucks the most?
Pefect way of describing them! Well, apart from the fact that none of them 'suck'.

Whilst they may ALL be great rides in themselves, each one of them have let people down in many ways. Thirteen has had the greatest aticipation as well as the greatest flop of any ride that has within the last few years. Yet, in the big picture, it is still a brilliant ride, isn't it?

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. I never rode Toyland Tours. I have nothing to compare it to other than photos and stories. I love riding it! Every enthusiast seems to exclaim at how awful it is, but I think it is great and so does the general public. I understand why you all think it is awful, but overall, like Thirteen is it actually a bad ride?

I hate Rita. It was a stupid gimmick that practically ruined a brilliant area of the park. Ug land had charm, music, a quite unqiue theme, many features and theming all around and great family attractions. Thanks to Rita, it only lasted 5 years before being beaten into the pointless 'Thunder Rock Ralley' mash up. Ug Land was 10x better than the half-hearted Dark Forest there now. However, Rita itself is not actually a poor coaster in many ways. It attracted and still attracts a vast amount of people to Alton Towers who come off loving it.

Duel, Duel, Duel... To save me rambling for another ten paragraphs, I am just going to say that Duel is a pretty much pointless mask on what is essentially an amazing ride. If Alton Towers coul only spend that money to take the mask off, the ride would be much more loved than it is now, surely? Why were lasers added in the first place? They only dumb things down. Although, the ride itself is still of very good quality.

Well, I voted Rita. Quite simply because it has caused so much 'gear-grinding' and its silly selection of airtime hills does not make up for it. I will sorely miss Ug Land. :cry:

Jon
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:17 pm

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory's redeeming feature is how it looks - it does look visually impressive and has a lot of heart to it.

Unfortunately, Alton Towers is not an art gallery, and neither is it a book of illustrations. The quality of the boat ride is satisfactory only if it were a really densely themed queue, and the glass elevator simply isn't effective.

So yes, deffinatly the biggest fail. Also its throughput is appauling. I;ve seen it with hour long queues and just felt gutted for the people at the back, as they will probably be disappointed.
Formerly "Dagoo"

Blaze

Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:20 pm

"electricBlll" wrote:
Pefect way of describing them! Well, apart from the fact that none of them 'suck'.

Whilst they may ALL be great rides in themselves, each one of them have let people down in many ways. Thirteen has had the greatest aticipation as well as the greatest flop of any ride that has within the last few years. Yet, in the big picture, it is still a brilliant ride, isn't it?

Thirteen is not a flop. The marketing was a flop, but if you didn't let it decieve you and you remembered that we realised long before marketing began it was a family ride, it wouldn't have let you down for not being an uber-thrill. Charlie is dreadful. How can you possibly like it? I know it's your opinion and everything but Charlie is just everything Alton Towers is not. Especially when it is just around the corner from one of the worlds finest dark rides, you just wonder, why? Why is it so bad? Looks terrible and has no soul or heart.

Spike
TT Member
TT Member
Location: Curled up in Nemmies claws. Sound asleep and purring like a kitten.

Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:25 pm

None of the above, all great rides in their own rights.
MY HAND IS A DOLPHIN!!! >:O
*Honest Cint!*

[Archive]

Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:36 pm

It may be bad in some ways, but is it really that bad? Charlie may have an awfully told storyline and a few unimaginative scenes. But don't forget, it has trademark music, sound effects, style and appearance. It is this 'character' that I like about it.

In this context, Thirteen has been a flop. It has failed to impress a vast amount of people for a number of different reasons, but impressed many all the same. No matter how many times it is discussed or argued, nobody can find a definitive answer. I think in many ways Thirteen has been a flop, but in many other ways it has not. So, nobody can just say "Thirteen has not been a flop", just as well as nobody can say that "Thirteen has been a 'fail'."

Also, I never ever said that I believed the marketing, I saw right through it as did most people. Marketing will die off anyway, won't it? I knew from the beginning that it would not be "The Ultimate Rollercoaster" - that has nothing to do with it in the end. When did I say I was expecting an "uber-thrill"? :? I am not stupid. Of course, the hype has been the cause of many people's disappointment, but it has mostly died off by now has it not? I see no point in including the marketing technique as part of the ride's performance after it has been open for a good half a year.
Last edited by [Archive] on Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chris W
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:37 pm

The problem with Charlie was the cost, too much money was spent on the rights to use the Charlie intellectual property. Once all the money had gone on the rights there wasn't much left to complete the ride and lift to a higher standard.
Charlie has been improved since its opening day (still not enough animatronics) and I love its visual style. There are some nice touches, such as the rotating fan in the chocolate room.

The problem with Duel is the fact that there are too many comparisons to the Haunted House. I wouldn't go on Duel as much as I do if it was just the old Haunted House. With the exceptions of Phantom Manor/Haunted Mansion I find these type of dark rides uninteresting.
The Duel overlay offers a large amount of re-rideability.

Thirteen isn't a fail, its a really fun rollercoaster and also has that important re-rideability.
I'm bored of the Thirteen arguments now. :|

And, Rita for what was a quickly designed standard rollercoaser is great. Its certainly more unique that the even more gimmicky Stealth.

My opinion of the biggest fail... "There's something in the Dungheap".

Islander
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:39 pm

Charlie: Really can't understand what everyone hates about this. Bearing in mind that it's a kids ride, I think it's brilliant. It of course has it's faults (the elevator is perhaps a bit over-zealous at points), but overall it's enjoyable. Great scenes, great, great on-ride audio and pre-shows. Generally enjoyable.

Duel: Well, I never rode the Haunted House, but I adore Duel, I really do. It's my second favourite dark ride by a long, long stretch, only just surpassed by Tower of Terror at DLRP. What it's doing on this list, I really don't know.

Thirteen: Brilliant ride. Outdoor section's a tad disappointing, and those trims... the less said the better, but once you get into the crypt, it's sheer awesomeness from then on.

Rita: Another great ride. I really don't see what's wrong with it's placement, and it's rather enjoyable. Perhaps surpassed slightly by it's counterpart Stealth, but it's still great.

So, to conclude, couldn't disagree with the notion behind this topic more.

James6
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:55 pm

^ Couldn't agree more, they could ALL be improved in certain ways, but so could every ride! I rode Charlie today, and its a great little ride, especially for the lil'uns, a lot of fun. However one elevator is truly hopeless with the other actually being quite good.

Duel, also rode today and whilst it could be better and isn't amazing, it is still a great ride.

Thirteen, well it's my joint favourite ride at the park, definitely a fail.

Rita, I usually am not fond of Rita for many a reason but I loved it today, I still hate it's location though.
If you go down to the Towers today, you\'d better ride Th13teen. :P

Gloomy Dude
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:43 pm

You'd be forgiven for thinking that a treasured British institution like the work of Roald Dahl would be safe in the hands of a park like Alton Towers. And I do respect how they based the visual style around Quentin Blake's illustrations rather than Tim Burton's film. This is where the compliments end...

Roald Dahl is a total gift to the UK children/family amusement industry and I can't believe Alton of all places managed to cock it up. It's a blight on the park, and a blight on Dahl's legacy. Sure, it's easy to be flippant and all "oh, it's not that bad really", but to say that, is to be an apologist for a crass insult to one of the greatest childrens' story tellers of all time. Charlie and Chocolate Factory should be a visually dense, colourful environment, full of warm, gentle humour, instantly recognisable characters and situations. The ride is patently not representative of such a place.

I've never waited more than 10 minutes to ride, but still come off wishing I hadn't bothered. Being stuck for any length of time in the first section of indoor queue is hell on earth. A constantly looping, irritating pre-show in a dark, un-themed room. Nice. Then take your seat in a boat with a fraction of the comfort of your average garden bench (and about as well themed as one too) and off you go, into a dark, bland nothingness, peppered with lazy animatronics, nonsensical and out of sync audio and a total lack of effort to follow any sort of narrative. Roald deserved better!

I do realise the ride isn't aimed at jaded 19 year olds such as myself, but it's such an insult to both the intelligence of kids, and the work of Roald Dahl and Quentin Blake, it almost makes me want to cry. In fact, I never really realised how angry it made me until I started typing this. Alton were clearly just throwing their comparative wealth around. "Ooooh, look at all the beloved intellectual property we can just buy and then p!ss up against the wall, for we are the mighty Alton Towers." If done right, it could have been magical, but instead we have a wretched turd of a 'ride'. If done right, it could, nay should have paved the way for Cred Street to be re-themed into a complete Roald Dahl land - an idea I voiced on here when it was revealed that the area was being revamped. Now that could have been really special, if handled delicately and respectfully. If Alton Towers had any decency whatsoever, they would scrap the ride, install a fantastic, originally themed new dark ride (no bloody gimmicks. No lasers, 3D or 'interactivity' of any kind).

I actually think a small family/children's park totally dedicated to Roald Dahl would work perfectly, if they could invest the love, warmth and attention to detail that was required for such a project.

Boycott Charlie and the Chocolate Factory my TTF brothers and sisters! I urge you. By apologising for it, you are being complicit in the continued defamation of a true British legend.
[size=90]For some things there is no rational explanation. There is no way out. There is no happy ending to this story. Welcome to the unknown. Welcome to eternal darkness.

Welcome to Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - The Ride