UK theme parks from another point of view!

Alton\'s Biggest Fail

Poll runs till Wed Nov 02, 2050 12:13 pm

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
84 (67%)
Duel
14 (11%)
Th13teen
17 (13%)
Rita
11 (9%)
 
Total votes: 126
 
davidju71

Re: Alton's Biggest Fail!

Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:18 pm

"Air Dan" wrote:
Ultimately, all of the rides above fell short of expectations, therefore they're all fails?


By whose definition? I hate Charlie but my 4 and 5 yr. old love it. How can it be a fail to them.
 
User avatar
James
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 3188
Joined: January 2009
Location: Newport, Wales
Contact:

Re: Alton's Biggest Fail!

Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:25 pm

I would say they are all fails in there own little ways, but it all depends on a person's opinion. As looking at the above post, what we would see as a fail a child could see as a win. It all depends from what way you look at a ride.
 
User avatar
John
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 3405
Joined: November 2005

Re: Alton's Biggest Fail!

Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:11 am

"davidju71""][quote=""Air Dan" wrote:
Ultimately, all of the rides above fell short of expectations, therefore they're all fails?


By whose definition? I hate Charlie but my 4 and 5 yr. old love it. How can it be a fail to them.[/quote]
To them it isn't a fail but it is for older kids. CatCF could and should have been a ride that could be enjoyed by everyone, but aside from the very young most people will find it boring.
 
CoasterCrazyChris
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 2884
Joined: July 2008
Location: Bristol

Re: Alton's Biggest Fail!

Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:09 pm

I disagree with some of the comments made in regard to how the ride is perceived by the general public (non-enthusiasts then). My crowd generally enjoyed the ride, and none of them have any particular enthusiasm for rides in general. They could also relate to the ride because they knew the storyline and the film and in a way this made it more enjoyable because they knew the charcters and the ride almost brought the film too life.

Also, I think it is interesting for children well over 4/5 years old, in fact it's a family ride more than a children's ride in my opinion. My family enjoyed the ride and were overly impressed with it (I presume they had no recollection of Toyland Tours). I think most of the GP leave the ride feeling surprised that it was a boat ride AND a moving simulator lift in one ride, even if some leave a little underwhelmed by the effort of the theming.

As much as a better ride it was, we all know in 2005 Toyland Tours was jaded and seen perhaps by older children as babyish; much more so than Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is seen by that same age range now. Shame we didn't get a quality replacement, but by no means is the ride a fail.

:)
 
User avatar
Nightfall
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 2730
Joined: September 2009
Location: Cambridge

Re: Alton's Biggest Fail!

Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:28 pm

"Air Dan" wrote:
Fail - to fall short of success or achievement in something expected, attempted, desired, or approved
The trouble with using this definition is that by the standards of what most enthusiasts expected from Th13teen and Rita they were Fails. However as most people were expecting the most incredible rides ever built you could have deemed them as failures from the moment they were announced.
From the parks point of view they achieved exactly what was expected, attempted and desired from them. So in my opinion that’s more of a Win than a Fail.

For me Duel is enjoyable and having not been on the original haunted house I wasn’t expecting anything more than the ride offered. I also agree with electricBlll that the lack of queue has more to do with location and impressive throughput then popularity.

So Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is my choice of Fail. It's not a bad ride; I like the outer facade and the lift scene. The problem is that it feels rather empty, forcing you to focus on the story because there is nothing else to see. Although I like the lift it feels like there are too many obstructions of the view and I don’t just mean other people.

The two major fails though are:

No Chocolate shop at the end
Even better they could have produced them on-site and pumped the smell around the building to give the place that chocolate feel.

The cost of the intellectual property
I don’t know how much John Wardley was involved with CatCF but based on his recent interviews I would guess that he suggested the idea of using an international property. In other circumstances he might have been correct because on paper CatCF seems like a good choice of brand. The books are still popular today and the ride opened at around the same time as the second films release. These benefits certainly attracted more people during the first year of operation and keep the ride popular unlike an unbranded theme. However when such a large amount of the budget is being used just on the intellectual property It’s no surprise that the final ride is missing the fine details that it’s predecessors contained.
Image
 
Blaze

Re: Alton's Biggest Fail!

Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:00 pm

I though JW didn't have anything to do with Charlie, wasn't he is retirement back then, and I've always though he was against using other people's intelectual properties, he certainly doesn't sound happy with using Saw at Thorpe.
 
User avatar
kingda dude
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 201
Joined: May 2009
Location: Derbyshire

Re: Alton's Biggest Fail!

Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:19 pm

I feel that duel was Alton’s biggest fail. It was a desperate attempt to make a ride better. The result was an un realistic laser battle, which I hate. Though I can see why other people like it, it is just my personal opinion.
"The Marmalisation Process has been scientifically designed to ensure a sense of euphoria and satisfaction should be had by all... There are no, known, Long Term side effects to the Marmalisation process, however short term side effects may include: dizziness, vomiting, loss of balance, loss of limb control, feinting, wild hallucinations but most importantly Smiles!"
 
User avatar
Nightfall
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 2730
Joined: September 2009
Location: Cambridge

Re: Alton's Biggest Fail!

Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:46 pm

"Blaze" wrote:
I though JW didn't have anything to do with Charlie, wasn't he is retirement back then, and I've always though he was against using other people's intelectual properties, he certainly doesn't sound happy with using Saw at Thorpe.

I don't think he actually did any work on Charlie. However in all the resent talks he keeps mentioning that a really successful dark ride (such as Spiderman) needs a back story that everyone instantly knows, using intellectual property. I was just speculating that the reason the park suddenly decided to use CatCF rather than make its own unique attraction might have been to do with one him making a similar statements.

I will listen to one of the interviews again in case I misunderstood :) . He made the comment most recently after saying that Th13teen would be to complex if it relied on a back story.
Image
 
Blaze

Re: Alton's Biggest Fail!

Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:22 pm

Right now, the total percentage adds up to 101%

Just thought you'd like to know :lol:
 
CoasterCrazyChris
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 2884
Joined: July 2008
Location: Bristol

Re: Alton's Biggest Fail!

Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:09 pm

Did John Wardley have anything to do with Toyland Tours? Or was that solely Tussauds Studios?

If he didn't I presume he had enough on his plate, what with the few things he had going on the side around that time...like Nemesis for instance LOL. :P

:)
 
User avatar
starbugger1303
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 836
Joined: October 2008
Location: Phalanx Research Facility - Forbidden Valley

Re: Alton's Biggest Fail!

Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:32 pm

"Nightfall""][quote=""Air Dan" wrote:
Even better they could have produced them on-site and pumped the smell around the building to give the place that chocolate feel..
[/quote]

I am sure they done that on opening day and i'm sure they still do it today. :?
 
PeteB
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author
Posts: 3522
Joined: July 2006
Location: Sunderland
Contact:

Re: Alton's Biggest Fail!

Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:35 am

"CoasterCrazyChris" wrote:
Did John Wardley have anything to do with Toyland Tours? Or was that solely Tussauds Studios?

If he didn't I presume he had enough on his plate, what with the few things he had going on the side around that time...like Nemesis for instance LOL. :P

:)


Yes John Wardley was responsible for Toyland Tours, Haunted House, and Bubble Works (amongst many other developments) which were all exceptional attractions never before seen in this country. John is very good with dark rides because they are literrally "theatre" attractions which require story telling, illusions, drama and suspense etc. All 3 have been almost destroyed in recent years and aren't even a scratch on what they once were.

He's been involved with loads of great projects at the Tussauds parks but I think I'm right in thinking that Hex is now the last standing unmodified dark ride by him?

Hex of course being considered as the UK's best dark ride and the closest thing to American/Disney/Universal standards. But, it seems to be having problems lately so it'll no doubt be stripped bare and given a makeover soon.
 
djtruefitt

Re: Alton's Biggest Fail!

Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:10 am

"Nightfall""][quote=""Air Dan" wrote:

The two major fails though are:

No Chocolate shop at the end
Even better they could have produced them on-site and pumped the smell around the building to give the place that chocolate feel.
[/quote]

I have to agree I cant see any possible reason why there isnt some kind of shop at the end of Charlie, pretty much every ride at Alton has a shop at the end of the ride from Air to Duel to the sealife centre, even the Mine train has a shop selling random African type toys and junk at the end of the ride.

There is a massive blank area at the end of the ride just before you come out of a random fire exit, surely a shop could have gone there which could have been opened up to the front next to Burger King and made to look like a proper chocolate shop.
 
bradpeet
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 398
Joined: September 2009
Location: Bradford, West Yorkshire
Contact:

Re: Alton's Biggest Fail!

Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:23 am

"PeteB" wrote:
Hex of course being considered as the UK's best dark ride and the closest thing to American/Disney/Universal standards. But, it seems to be having problems lately so it'll no doubt be stripped bare and given a makeover soon.


Considered by whom? I'm not trying to be funny, I really like HEX - but is there a list or website somewhere that you are basing this comment on?

But it is 10 years old now, and I am sure there are a lot of people who no longer bother with it because they know exactly what will happen and see it as a waste of their time. So a complete makeover might be appropriate - to the pre-show at least.
 
User avatar
Jadiibeth
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 19
Joined: December 2009
Location: stoke on trent

Re: Alton's Biggest Fail!

Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:28 pm

isnt everything a good and bad point to someone?
to be able to make these rides is genius on its own :)
unless the ride actually fails to work right... its not really a fail is it? just simply catering for the needs of a vast market that thrives off the wide range of rides alton accommodates. 8) :lol:
 
User avatar
kingda dude
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 201
Joined: May 2009
Location: Derbyshire

Re: Alton's Biggest Fail!

Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:09 pm

I think the saying that should go with this thread is:

One mans food is another mans poison.

Basically what some people like about a ride some people may dislike (and vise versa). Only when something can be seen by all points of view as rubbish is truly a fail.

None of the selected ones are Fails, they all did what the park wanted them to do and some people only feel they are fails because they let down small minorities expectations.

Th13teen, as an example, is not a failure: The GP likes it, it attracts more guests to the park, it has an amazing throughput, and the build up of the ride (for most of the GP) is actually quite scary. Only because us roller coaster fans wanted a huge launched thing with a 100 foot free fall drop (exaggeration) doesn't mean it is a fail.
"The Marmalisation Process has been scientifically designed to ensure a sense of euphoria and satisfaction should be had by all... There are no, known, Long Term side effects to the Marmalisation process, however short term side effects may include: dizziness, vomiting, loss of balance, loss of limb control, feinting, wild hallucinations but most importantly Smiles!"
 
User avatar
Tom G
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 1776
Joined: June 2010

Re: Alton's Biggest Fail!

Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:53 pm

None of those you suggest. it would be either The Blade or Enterprise, both are very tired.
 
User avatar
moog666
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 335
Joined: August 2009
Location: Liverpool

Re: Alton's Biggest Fail!

Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:56 pm

"Tom Green" wrote:
None of those you suggest. it would be either The Blade or Enterprise, both are very tired.


Fair point they may very well be tired. But neither of them are a FAIL! They are simply outdated. I am suprised however that Submission didnt make the list
Image

If you must make jokes about Steve Jobs, Try to keep them PC.
 
Blaze

Re: Alton's Biggest Fail!

Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:38 pm

Submision actually may be the answer here, some people hate it more than Charlie :shock:

The thing with Duel is that although it ripped the heart out of the Haunted House and made it gimmicky, it did keep it fresh and popular, added reridabilty and is still a fun laugh-in-the-dark attraction.
 
User avatar
mats
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 85
Joined: May 2010
Location: Staffs
Contact:

Re: Alton's Biggest Fail!

Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:41 pm

Based on this photo, Rita!
No, I'm only kidding, but seriously hope they found the offending duff wheel - this was sat on the floor under the launch straight today.

Image
UK Park News - Your Dedicated Theme Park Resource
http://www.ukparknews.co.uk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 272 guests