UK theme parks from another point of view!

Titters
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Height Markers/Restrictions

Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:24 pm

I took my cousin yesterday and we measured him outside th13teen at 142cm. We then rode Air - using fastrack and he was allowed on but when he was measured at the Nemesis merge point he had apparently shrunk 5cm to 137cm, and therefore wasn't allowed on.
At the marker at the entrance to the Nemesis queue, he measured 139cm and again wasn't allowed on so we tried at Oblivion where he was exactly the same.
Our last ride of the day was Air, but at the merge point he was on the 140cm line and was given a wristband saying this.

Does anyone know why the height markers showed his height changed at different rides throughout the day and if the markers are all accurate?

linzimoo6
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Height Markers/Restrictions

Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:38 pm

:? I cant answer your question...But I have also found this to be a problem with my little lad. Im going on Thursday and taking him for the first time, so havent actually tried them there obviously! I measure him at exactly 120cm but im so terrified the height markers there will tell me different, because ive found all markers say hes a different height, no matter where i am! We took him to chessington last year and the little marker thing just at the start of the ride showed him at about 114cms, but when he got to the station with the wooden marker he was "just" about the right height. Surely the wooden markers dont give a fair enough reading anyway, if its not held in an exact position, even a slight tilt will make the measuremt different?!

oldgitBEN

Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:42 pm

we had the same problem with our little one a few months ago, we measured her at home at 119cm but thought we'd try our luck on Sonic with her anyway, got there and she stood at the marker and was a good 7cm away!

Odd.

linzimoo6
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:35 pm

Sonic was my biggest fear, as he is a huge Sonic fan. He will be gutted if he cant get on! Sounds as though there wont be a problem though!

furie
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:26 am

Maxi-Minor_Furie recently hit 1.2M and we had all kinds of issues in the past with both minor_furie's

The biggest issue, is that there doesn't seem to be a standard height. It's all on the boards and the "triangle". The problem is, the boards seem to be higher and lower at different points (sometimes the ground has subsided and makes the kid smaller).

However, taking MMF on to Sonic and Twirling Toadstool (he shared his first Wave Swinger experience with TTF actually :lol: ) - he wasn't even measured.

There's a "confidence" thing I've discovered. If you just walk onto the ride and are confident your child is tall enough, and THEY'RE confident, then you find that you get overlooked. It's not 100% fool proof, some ops have keener eyes, others aren't so good on the "spacial awareness" front and always think kids are smaller.

However, I've found with both, if you don't hesitate and just get on - you are less likely to get checked.

BTW, I'm not pushing a kid on too small - MMF hit 1.2M earlier in the year, and he was (by my tape measure) 1.22M before I took him on both rides. While I'm confident he's tall enough, I'm not confident the ride measure points are accurate.

It's actually a bit of a bug-bear, and I think that Alton should adopt the system I found in most US parks - a metal measuring stick, manufactured with a T-bar at the top to the exact height. At the air gates, the op would simply "twizzle" the stick and see if it passed over the kid's head. If it did, they'd not let them on (after checking if there was a gap).

It was quick, and you knew that the station platform was level, and that each stick was exactly the correct height.
If you\'ve got a problem, stuff a worm in it!
Come and Visit the Family_Furie family review site here

Islander
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:08 am

"furie" wrote:
It's actually a bit of a bug-bear, and I think that Alton should adopt the system I found in most US parks - a metal measuring stick, manufactured with a T-bar at the top to the exact height. At the air gates, the op would simply "twizzle" the stick and see if it passed over the kid's head. If it did, they'd not let them on (after checking if there was a gap).

That's exactly the system they use at Chessie, Thorpe and Legoland - it really surprises me that I haven't seen it done at AT...

Gloomy Dude
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:31 am

Has anyone thought of contacting the Towers officially regarding these issues?

They have a very good record of response and action to such things from the looks of it. I'm sure standardising height measurements wouldn't be such a big ask.
[size=90]For some things there is no rational explanation. There is no way out. There is no happy ending to this story. Welcome to the unknown. Welcome to eternal darkness.

Welcome to Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - The Ride

linzimoo6
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:21 pm

"Islander""][quote=""furie" wrote:

That's exactly the system they use at Chessie, Thorpe and Legoland - it really surprises me that I haven't seen it done at AT...[/quote]

When did that come into practise? Ive never heard of this method before, sounds like such a good idea aswell!

Also could they not measure at the entrance and then get their wristband thingys there, instead of families going for each ride and seeing if the little ones measure up to size?

Titters
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:45 pm

"linzimoo6""][quote=""Islander""][quote=""furie" wrote:

That's exactly the system they use at Chessie, Thorpe and Legoland - it really surprises me that I haven't seen it done at AT...[/quote]

When did that come into practise? Ive never heard of this method before, sounds like such a good idea aswell!

Also could they not measure at the entrance and then get their wristband thingys there, instead of families going for each ride and seeing if the little ones measure up to size?[/quote]

They all seem like really good ideas - the last one especially. It would have saved us a lot of hassle/stress. I might try emailing towers as well.

linzimoo6
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:56 pm

If it would cause too much hassle and queues trying to measure kids etc, a sign perhaps saying the option to have your children measured at guest services or something. I dont know just an idea...i just think that would save alot of dissapointed children and us wondering exactly how high is 120/140cms!

Titters
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:36 pm

Its the fact that on one ride they're different that annoys me the most. At the Nemesis merge point the 1.4m line was at least 3cm higher than the line at the entrance...

They really really need to sort this out...

And on Oblivion, my cousin was sitting down as the ride op checked him and then he was only 1cm too short, so walking past confidently doesn't always work.

UnleashedLlama
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:50 pm

"Titters" wrote:
And on Oblivion, my cousin was sitting down as the ride op checked him and then he was only 1cm too short, so walking past confidently doesn't always work.

I was under the impression that B&M's have some sort of indicator (e.g. an arrow) on the backs of the ride seats that shouldn't be seen if the rider is tall enough (assuming said rider is in proportion and not got huge long legs under a stumpy little body or vice versa!). I may be wrong though.

Or do you mean he was in the process of sitting down, as oppose to the state of sitting down?

I think I've now waffled enough. :P
[color=#FF4000]New for 2011]

Islander
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:52 pm

"linzimoo6""][quote=""Islander" wrote:
That's exactly the system they use at Chessie, Thorpe and Legoland - it really surprises me that I haven't seen it done at AT...

When did that come into practise? Ive never heard of this method before, sounds like such a good idea aswell![/quote]
Been at use at Legoland for as long as I can remember (many, many years), and Thorpe and Chessie for a fair few years as well.

UnleashedLlama
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:57 pm

"Islander""][quote=""linzimoo6""][quote=""Islander" wrote:

When did that come into practise? Ive never heard of this method before, sounds like such a good idea aswell![/quote]
Been at use at Legoland for as long as I can remember (many, many years), and Thorpe and Chessie for a fair few years as well.[/quote]

Has anyone else view the YouTube videos featuring Mr Stick? :lol: If not, search for them, I doubt you'll be disappointed.

Yep, they've had that in place at Legoland for ages.

(edited to salvage a careless typo)
[color=#FF4000]New for 2011]

Islander
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:01 pm

"UnleashedLlama" wrote:
Has anyone else view the YouTube videos featuring Mr Stick? :lol: If not, search for them, I doubt you'll be disappointed.

:o

That's awesome! :P

Here's the first for anyone who can't be bothered to search (note that they're all metal now, rather than wooden... but i think this one's nice and retro. Suites the character :) :P

I think I'm off to watch the others...

linzimoo6
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:25 pm

Hahaha Mr Stick, hes awesome! Surely though Mr Stick should be attached to the groud...like I asked before, a slight tilt in the way he's held, will alter the height of the point that is acceptable?

Kaycee

Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:29 am

They used to use the 'twizzle' (great word :P) stick on Submission until this season. I didn't like it. Apart from whacking the child on the head if they were tall enough, I think it was less accurate. All the height boards at Towers have metal rulers running up, with the red/green merge at exactly the right point. Most of them have a little platform at the bottom to ensure the ground is level.

It's a mystery. :(

Big Dave

Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:34 am

They also get checked on a regular basis to make sure that they all read the same. Very strange this one, however you do realise the average human being does shrink a good few cm during the period of a day?

Titters
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:33 am

I do realise that - but the fact that he grew again to get a wristband at the end of the day confuses me...

Mr. Stick is really cool - I want one :P