UK theme parks from another point of view!

right price or not for the hotel

Poll runs till Sat Apr 15, 2051 2:33 pm

to expensive
35 (65%)
expensive but worth it
18 (33%)
fair value
1 (2%)
great value
No votes

Total votes: 54

Furius Baco
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Alton towers hotel should it be cheaper?

Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:03 pm

I always feel that for what you get at the Alton towers hotel you can get a lot more somewhere else. The only thing which really makes you want to stay there is because it is in Alton Towers, but its still about a mile away from the gates unless you take the woodland walk. I don’t know weather its just me but you get more value at DLRP for the hotels than at Alton.

What do you guys think considering most of us are annual pass holders and are not looking for a short break as such?

Its all about the experience but does it really need to be that expensive for bed and breakfast? Gone are the days when your tickets and fastrack tickets were included for £100, now its nearly £2-300! Boy have times changed. It feels only yesterday when you could enter for £25.

Kendalgal
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Alton towers hotel should it be cheaper?

Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:15 pm

I agree that it is expensive BUT the experience you get is THE BEST! We (as parents) and the kids love it and there is something to do for all. The kids love the shows too and the food is delicious.

However...i think adding the waterpark into the cost (no upping it) you pay now would make the value even more as i begrudge spending £33 for my family to go in there for 2 hours. The kids get fed up after about 90 mins so 2 hours is pushing it. Therefore what a waste of £££. I would however, if free to use for hotel guests, come park from the park a few hours early to have a swim. We generally go to the park for 2-3 days at a time so that would suit us really well.
Mum to Hollie (9) & Madison (5)

NeilHD
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:40 pm

I've costed it a couple of times and been horrified at the price.

I'm sure it's really good and all that, but when it comes down to it, a choice between £180 for a night there or £30 at a Premier Inn 30 minutes away and my wallet makes the decision. :lol:

Blaze

Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:47 pm

You pay for what you get.

You can pay a couple of quid and stay at the excelent Ashborne Travellodge, but at the end of the day, it's just a travellodge, and it's not on site.

ATH and SLH are excelent hotels and on the resort, they are easily worth the extra price, in my opinion. You can't get the same experience or convienience at a Premier Inn away from the resort. It is very pricy, but that's the price you pay for excelence.

Furius Baco
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:00 pm

"Kendalgal" wrote:
I agree that it is expensive BUT the experience you get is THE BEST! We (as parents) and the kids love it and there is something to do for all. The kids love the shows too and the food is delicious.

However...i think adding the waterpark into the cost (no upping it) you pay now would make the value even more as i begrudge spending £33 for my family to go in there for 2 hours. The kids get fed up after about 90 mins so 2 hours is pushing it. Therefore what a waste of £££. I would however, if free to use for hotel guests, come park from the park a few hours early to have a swim. We generally go to the park for 2-3 days at a time so that would suit us really well.

So how much do you spend for the hotel and do you book it on the official Alton Towers site?

---- Post Info Added ----

"Blaze" wrote:
You pay for what you get.

You can pay a couple of quid and stay at the excelent Ashborne Travellodge, but at the end of the day, it's just a travellodge, and it's not on site.

ATH and SLH are excelent hotels and on the resort, they are easily worth the extra price, in my opinion. You can't get the same experience or convienience at a Premier Inn away from the resort. It is very pricy, but that's the price you pay for excelence.

Do you think its better than say DLRP hotels though?

CoasterCrazyChris
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:38 pm

The prices are extortion and they really are taking the mickey.

It's all very well saying it's a great experience, but when you know you've just paid around £200 for one night and breakfast, you are constantly strutinizing the resort to see if it is worth the money and this does detract from the whole 'magic' of it in my opinion. Whilst the rooms are nice, they are not amazing and small too.

Best thing to do is just to stay somewhere locally and spend the evening at the resort, use the restaurants, bars, waterpark (if you can afford) and the rest and then when you've had enough take a short drive back to where your resting your head safe in the knowledge you are paying a quarter of the price for B&B!

After all, the only REAL exclusivities of staying on site is the free parking and convenient location. Anybody off the street can enjoy the hotels if they so wished.

:)

ponder
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:44 pm

Or alternatively book a B&B in Alton village for £50 a room and you still have the convenience of only being a mile away from the park.

I'm going with the other half in September, and while 2 days in the park and a night at the hotel would cost £246.65 all in, by staying a mile down the road it only comes to £126. You can't tell me 1 night at the Splash Landings hotel is worth almost twice the overall price?

Loop - Roller coaster and Theme Park inspired T-shirts
http://looptees.com / https://www.facebook.com/looptps

TheOneWho

Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:08 pm

I stayed at the B&B across the road. A trip to Alton Towers is expensive enough for me in terms of travel costs that even just looking at the price of the hotels made me gawp. I've never been in them, but at the place I stayed there was free wi-fi, a DVD player and Freeview TV, things that I don't think are available there? Yes, you don't go to AT to watch TV, but in the evenings it's nice to have the option.

People will pay the prices of the hotels though, so they can keep charging so much.

hell lepard
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:45 pm

I'mm pleased with the hotels, just pick your days find me a better way to enjoy two days you get there.

Sign in and get on the Monorail into the park an hour earlier than most, then go back at the end of the day with an option of Golf or the Waterpark and choose between which hotel to spend the evening before going back to the room.
Then in the morning checkout and eat the all you can eat breakfast before going back on the Monorail to get another hour extra in the park. Remembering that this day cost nothing due to the hotel deal, weigh this point up in the pricing and the fact that I'm 4 hours away that was looking for a good experience there.
Last edited by hell lepard on Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kendalgal
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:55 pm

"Furius Baco""][quote=""Kendalgal" wrote:

[/quote]
So how much do you spend for the hotel and do you book it on the official Alton Towers site?

This time we paid £256 for 3 nights through the official website. Our girls usually have birthday parties so have opted for this instead as their birthday's aren't far off. We also used the 50% off voucher we got with The Sun. It would of cost nearly double that had we not had a voucher therefore we wouldn't of been able to go at all.

We stayed in June also, but only for one night and paid £110 though the website again.

We usually camp though at The Star Caravan Park but as the girls have opted to use their party money on this trip, we are splashing out at Splash Landings.
Mum to Hollie (9) & Madison (5)

stigzy
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:40 pm

I voted 'too expensive'.

The reason is, because, well, they are! They are quite swanky though :shock:! But not half as swanky or quirky as something like a village hotel, which is slightly cheaper. Ahh man, give me a village Hotel any day of the week over ATH or Splash. I tend to think Towerseseses hotel rooms are rather small, the technology within is a bit primitive and sometimes in my own personal and other people from ttf's ATH and Splash experience have been found to be a bit, um, dirty? It's only the minimal theme, atmosphere and general quirkiness of the rest of the hotel's that make up for it. Buuut, in their defence and my opinion no matter how good or bad a product actually is, a high price always = a quality image. We all know Towers' hotels are very 3 star and it just wouldn't look good if the UK's number one theme park stuck a 3 star price tag on those hotels.

Jollylee11
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:08 pm

So true That it is to much money
The only Advange is it is close to the park
And close to the monorail
But all the money and Still got to pay for Theme park [-X

BigAl
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:03 pm

Alton's hotels are okay but I've been in better hotels. It all adds to the experience though. I'm sure the prices could be reduced a little but people are willing to pay so they'll remain high. Alton stated they want new guest accommodation so perhaps it'll be more reasonably priced. I don't for know certain though.

peterjones1
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:48 pm

Is it too expensive? Yes.

Should they lower the price? No.

As much as I hate saying it, as I do with football and many other things, it is a business first and foremost. If they are pulling in large numbers of guests with the current pricing structure, they aren't going to lower it. Why would they? I totally agree with those who wish to see the waterpark, golf etc included in the hotel package but unless their visitor numbers take a dramatic downturn, it is never going to be implemented. As sad as it is they are always going to charge as much as people are willing to pay, and a helluva lot of people are still willing to pay the current prices. Even more sad, it's only likely to get more expensive as time goes by.

Actually, had a bit of a change of heart. Went back and checked the booking confirmation from my stay in April. One night stay, two of us. We stayed in a standard family room, 1 double bed and a bunk-bed. Cost £169.80. Is £85 each actually really THAT expensive for a night in a good hotel, 2 days in an excellent theme park (with ERT) and an all you can eat breakfast? I'm not so sure anymore. Saying that, I seem to end up with a different price everytime I try and book so it seems like a total lottery to me.

onair
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:49 pm

Yes i do think the hotel are well overpriced. I have only ever stayed there with special offer rates ie winter breaks.

However the view out of rear of the Alton Towers hotel over the fountain is really nice and its relaxing to spend an evening there after a day in the park. I tend to spend the evening in the hotel then go back to the lodge after. I really do think some of the rooms need an upgrade if they are going to justify charging the high prices.

I would never pay full price and i always tend to stay at the Premier Inn at Uttoexeter or Stafford Hurricane and Spitfire Premier Inns which are always on good rates and not that far away by car. Infact i know its sad but i tend to book up my lodges a year in advance to get good rates :)

Kelly
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:45 am

I voted 'too expensive' simply because I don't think you get what you pay for.

1) The rooms are dated IMO. I have paid far less for a boutique hotel and ended up with a much better room and en-suite than I ever have done in either hotel.

2) The entertainment on offer is not enough. The hotels are a mile away from the gates and all you have to keep you entertained in the hotel is a water park, golf and not the greatest collection of shows out there, let’s be honest. I always find myself bored at the hotel after I've watched the show, had something to eat, the golf and water park are closed, and I've strolled around ATH gardens. I then find it is only like 10-11pm and I have to go over to Splash for longer bar hours, or just go bed. The show should be on a proper stage with appropriate seating so everybody can see and should include more than three singers.

3) To me, the hotels lack atmosphere. Sorry, but they really do. I can't put my finger on why, but the atmosphere never equals up to what I expect for such an expensive hotel. At Disney, I don't even stay in the Disney hotels, but when looking around them there was SUCH an atmosphere about them all.

4) The food is an issue. It's either an expensive burger, or a re-micro waved buffet.

5) The staff. Their attitude never matches the price tag. They either struggle with the English language, or just can't be bothered wasting their time on you. Again, I have stayed at much cheaper hotels and received a much better service.

Overall, although I've stayed there a few times and do understand the appeal for somebody who has never been to the hotels before, I myself find it very hard to justify paying so much money for a one-night stay for such mediocre service. The best stay I've had there was one year for NYE, an evening in which I had to pay extra for. I shouldn't have to pay extra for a good stay when the price is already so steep.

At the same time, I understand the prices can't be lowered due to the effect it would have on local businesses. Therefore, I really think the hotels need to match their service with their very expensive prices.

Crofty

Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:19 pm

"hell lepard" wrote:
I'mm pleased with the hotels, just pick your days find me a better way to enjoy two days you get there.

Sign in and get on the Monorail into the park an hour earlier than most, then go back at the end of the day with an option of Golf or the Waterpark and choose between which hotel to spend the evening before going back to the room.
Then in the morning checkout and eat the all you can eat breakfast before going back on the Monorail to get another hour extra in the park.

The problem with this is that it can all be done without having to stay at the resort.

I like the Resort hotels but for what they are, they are very overpriced. Generally the hotels feel like mostly just Foyer and Rooms, people just seem to be passing through all the time, even in the bars, this is because people have no clue on what they should be doing with their time there. It just feels like people are waiting around for the next day to go home or go on the park again. There should be a large entertainment venue that caters for both hotels, the sort of thing you get at Haven or Butlins instead of piddly games arcade, the poorest of newsagents and a view of a closed waterpark. :lol:

PeteB
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:41 pm

You get what you pay for at the Alton Towers hotels, and what they offer is on par with what other hotels in the same price range charge.

Most of the rooms are clean, tidy, well presented and reasonably well equiped. They are themed so are designed to look dated. I've heard though that there has been alot of refurbishment recently to clean up shabby rooms.

The entertainment is really only acceptable during the peak periods when they put on big shows, sadly it's no longer as lengendary as it was during the 2000-2005 era.

Atmosphere is brilliant around the hotels, ive always loved staying there. There's a real buzz about the place that you cant quite put your finger on, but the AT Hotel is especially cosey.

Food wise, the 2 restuarants are very different and both offer a great select of food on their menu's. I dont think anyone could argue with the value you get at flambo's. My only gripe is with the bar food, which is quite expensive but thats what you have to put up with if you're going to be awkward about eating in the restuarants.

The staff are faultless too, except for the bar staff in Splash - utterly useless, but everyone else around both hotels are very polite and helpful, so much so its almost cheesy.

Overall I would say the pricing of the hotels is about right. These topics do creep up every so often and I cant help but notice most of the haters are people are too young to work and pay for themselves, so how do they have any real perception of these costs? I think theres a few people as well who simply haven't stayed in enough UK hotels to compare and appreciate. Bear in mind too that alot of travelodges dont include breakfast.

Another point worth noting is that if Alton Towers lowered their hotel prices it would start attracting the wrong type of clientele, which none of us want. I for one do not wish to be staying in those hotels with a load of chavs. If you want a £5 a night sh!thole then go stay somewhere else.

Big Dave

Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:40 pm

There still is not enough over at the resort to warrant the prices they charge. Nor is there anything overly special about the location. Yes there is a great pond/mini lake at the back of Alton Towers hotel, but you could do with an entire area full of wow factor. You need a proper entertainments section as well as better food outlets. There needs to be a mixture of accommodation, offering cheaper rooms, as well as more expensive rooms such as themed suites. All of which needs to be linked together via large path ways, yet feeling separate from the park in its own quite area.

Dont get me wrong the hotels do have something about them, but they are not what Id call great value for money. As a result I have put overpriced.

Tom G
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:02 pm

I wasn't aware than Roman Abramovich used this message board (I assume it was he who put fair value).