UK theme parks from another point of view!

ubagel
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Scarefest 2011

Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:09 am

This sounds like an improvement to me...part of the park will be 'scarefest' and it means we can easily mix rides with scare mazes all evening. You know X-sector could be a terrifying place as a military zone...loud speakers with explosions, helicopters overhead, random flames going off on top of KFC and the rehydrator.

The only potential problem I can see is opening times - is the park going to keep rides running till 11:00 with the mazes? I suspect not, so we'll either see mazes open after rides or mazes closing with the park at 9PM. It's a shame we'll probably never get to 2AM opening with rides and shows a la Universal Studios, but hopefully this is one step in the right direction.

MattH

Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:21 am

Just to clear up, the park will close at 9pm, while the Mazes will close at around 11pm, which I consider perfectly reasonable considering the location of the park. And as already mentioned, the park should officially announce more in the coming weeks, and although the idea of the X-Sector being transformed is a great idea, I don't think it would actually be viable because of the surrounding area. I would personally love to see one or two "Scare Zones" on park, for example in Forbidden Valley and the Dark Forest, where such things would work well, but while I'm beginning to sound like a broken record, the area is the only thing stopping Scarefest being American grade thrilling.

PeteB
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:19 am

VERY bad idea putting both mazes in the Black Hole tent. Very bad indeed.

No Duel Live? No scarefest expansion at all? Come on Alton, get your act together!

------- EDIT ---------

Just read the Towers website and they've changed the text I quoted earlier, it now reads:

"Alton Towers" wrote:
During Scarefest there are a whole host of additional attractions that are included in with the Theme Park Tickets - Including the highly rated Terror Of The Towers - What Lies Within. so book your tickets now. Please note - Entrance to the Boiler House and Carnival of Screams is an additional fee - book your tickets here soon!

Looks like they keeping a close eye on these forums... In which case I'd like to repeat my previous statement:

No Duel Live? No scarefest expansion at all? Come on Alton, get your act together!

Dormiens-Dave

Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:52 am

How do we know there is no expansion. You are taking rumour as fact, maybe there isn't anything new but lets wait for an announcement before moaning about it.

It would be sad to lose duel live as we lose a family scare attraction and not ideal when they want to push a family park theme. But we will see, i think an announcement will come soon.

Voke
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:42 am

Even without Duel Live this year, I'm sure that Franklin's Freaky Farm will be able to pull off a few scares as a family attraction for Scarefest. It's something different that if pulled off correctly could be a nice addition to this years line-up!

But i'm just wondering, if the Black Hole Tent rumour is true, does this mean the pre-show for The Boiler House, -which really did set the scene- will no longer happen? I truly thought that was the best scene of the whole maze. I'm just intrigued on how they can pull off two mazes in one tent next to one of the Parks biggest attractions.

Liam B
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:04 pm

well in 2009 the held all scenes inside the maze. We where the last lot of the night so we were getting rushed through it but it seemed to work ok.

anorman
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:35 pm

I have every confidence that whatever alton do for scarefest, it will be awsome. I believe scarefest has been getting better each year so far except for the loss of fo1000screams :( Alton will not want to go backwards in any way so Im sure that if the mazes have been moved to the blackhole tent then it will be for the best!

Be a true alton fan and defend their decisions. :D

Adam
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:03 pm

As long as the park mazes remain open after park close, I can't see too much problem with this.

Even better if they kept the whole park open later, but that wont happen! :lol:
"It would be spiteful to put Jellyfish in a trifle..."

Liam B
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:06 pm

they shouldn't have too much bother closing off that part of the park.

oldgitBEN

Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:01 pm

will they keep transport going late into the night though?

Surely they wont allow people to be just in the park, after ride close until midnight.

gazag

Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:28 pm

im not saying that moving all the mazes into the black hole tent is a bad idea. im just very very intrested how they will pull it off with the theme of the surounding area. we dont want another fanta fiasco now do we lol.

im looking forward to this year, i feel this year will either blow us away or be a very very good steping stone to somthing bigger.

and yeah the transport thing, keeping it open or just laying on some trains at certain times of the night would be a good idea

addy2503
TT Member
TT Member

Scarefest 2011

Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:35 pm

I think that Alton should start a new scare maze based upon old rides at Alton and old ride theming, but made scarier, e.g. The toyland tours bears but with blood covered vampire teeth & capes

ubagel
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:03 pm

To me, the black hole tent makes perfect sense. There's already a whole infrastructure of food places, toilets and even a ready-made tent they'd be mad not to use it. It's a great foundation for more mazes (just a shame we don't get them this year). And it may even mean TOTT is open later if we're lucky :)

And really, I think Alton Towers need to learn how to use the space better, not necessarily use more space. Universal puts a very decent maze in each of these grey tents
[url=http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=nrd0n7869zc7&lvl=19.92673501857433&dir=359.3430178050184&sty=b&rtp=adr.~pos.28.476204_-81.462521_Universal%20Orlando%20Resort___e_&mode=D&rtop=0~0~0~&form=LMLTCC" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=nrd0n7 ... orm=LMLTCC[/url] .
I bet you'd fit both of them in the black hole tent with room to spare (though they do cram in probably 3x the actors!)

Transport? I bet we'll see buses from the main entrance...as with half term opening. If if they want to 'lock down' the park at 9PM they could even run buses from the exit by Oblivion up the hill and into the car park but I think we'll see main entrance buses to honest.

oldgitBEN

Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:21 pm

personally I love the fact the black hole tent is being used (despite it meaning nothing at the hotels - boo).

The black hole tent is a cracking idea, it has an existing queue line, leading into a dark claustrophobic tunnel, and then down into the old black hole station - if they dont use the queue and entrance it will be criminal! Then the maze can empty out via the back.

Its a clever idea, a dark tent, imagine the noises / screams inside - echoing around a massive building, and these muffled noises will be audible outside too.

Then think of the maze walls, which normally go quite high then have the marquee roof - think how high black holes is, just imagine looking up, seeing just dark and no roof in sight, just the dark - how oppressive is that going to be?!

jordanc14
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:15 am

I'm sure I remember somewhere reading that there is a bridge as part of the queue that isn't safe to use :x

Adam
TT Member
TT Member

Scarefest 2011

Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:16 am

From what I'm hearing. It seems towers are trailing a Halloween Horror Nights style event this year. That's the aim for what their going for anyway.

So that can only be a good thing.
"It would be spiteful to put Jellyfish in a trifle..."

Voke
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:55 am

"jordanc14" wrote:
I'm sure I remember somewhere reading that there is a bridge as part of the queue that isn't safe to use :x

Construction for both mazes in The Black Hole Tent started yesterday, so if there was an unsafe bridge in the queue-line, i'm 100% sure that they would fix it before they opened to the public. They were seen waterproofing the Tent onsite yesterday, and remember, the Tent has been out of action for around 5-6 years, so it'll take a while to spruce everything up. Don't worry!

Starlight expresser
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:48 am

I'd rather have a maze taken away and have Duel Live back, i love duel live as the actors interact and give a bit of humour to the ride. Sad times if this is not here this year :cry:

Benzin
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:23 am

So what's the basic points here?

- No mazes next to the hotels
- Two mazes in Black Hole tent
- Terror of the Towers
- Freaky Farm/Trick or Treat doors

That it? Bring back all the rides being live stuff... Though would be interesting to see an attempt at an Universal Halloween Horror Night event... Especially when each area of Towers has a wealth of ideas that can be used as a theme...

Rob L
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:24 am

".Adam" wrote:
From what I'm hearing. It seems towers are trailing a Halloween Horror Nights style event this year. That's the aim for what their going for anyway.

So that can only be a good thing.

It may sound a good thing although I found HHN awful for so many reasons so if Towers are doing that I hope they can pull it off better. The only good thing about HHN was the standard of theming.

:)