UK theme parks from another point of view!

jordanc14
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Scarefest 2011

Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:10 pm

"DiogoJ42" wrote:
IF They do end up back in the hotel marquee... Would they change the opening times back to late night? I can see this being very annoying if we have to go off park for the mazes (most of us have already booked our tickets for the early slot), then back on park, then back to the hotels to get changed for the evening, then back on park again!

.....Unless, the marquee is for a special extra event at the hotels that they aren't telling us about yet? :-k

Although I would love to see the night opening for the mazes, I think that even if they were moved to the hotels, we would see the current advertised opening hours as a lot of people, including you will have already booked time slots, making a lot of unhappy customers, and rightly so. But at the hotels with the current opening hours, I just couldn't see it working. :hnotsure:

Dormiens-Dave

Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:17 pm

Its certainly possible things have gone upside down with the scarefest plans so we shouldn't take anything for granted. If things have changed this is indeed breaking news

altongeek
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:01 am

They are in BH, if you use the online booking system and select the Scarefest Ultimate Ticket it still states that the mazes are in X-Sector.

"Alton Towers" wrote:
This fantastic ticket gives entry to the Alton Towers Resort Theme Park and one experience for each of the 2 Terrifying Scarefest Mazes located in X-Sector!

:)

AstroDan

Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:50 pm

The marquees by the hotels are apparently for a wedding event.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Mattchu_19
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:52 pm

Has anyone else noticed the survey that has been put up on Facebook by Alton Towers? Lots of questions about Clowns! For example, what about clowns scares you, how long have you feared clowns, etc!

Research for the Scarefest i take it?

Matt :)

siralgenon
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:18 pm

"Mattchu_19" wrote:
Has anyone else noticed the survey that has been put up on Facebook by Alton Towers? Lots of questions about Clowns! For example, what about clowns scares you, how long have you feared clowns, etc!

Yes, Iv'e just done it now, I pressume it will be giving them information about what guests fear about clowns to improve the Carnival Of Screams, good way of doing it I think - it's nice to see they are doing some research into it! :hlol:

Voke
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:23 pm

"Mattchu_19" wrote:

I've just filled in the Survey myself, and I mist say it has some pretty in depth questions about Clowns in there, but I guess it isn't so good for the people who aren't really scared of them! :hnotsure:

But I could only imagine that they will either use this as part of the Carnival Of Screams, so that the actors know what scares the majority of people, or they will use it as another Clown Marketing Stunt that we saw just before Scarefest last year, who knows?

Tom G
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:53 pm

The survey itself is a mini-stunt!

Mattchu_19
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:56 pm

"Voke" wrote:
I've just filled in the Survey myself, and I mist say it has some pretty in depth questions about Clowns in there, but I guess it isn't so good for the people who aren't really scared of them! :hnotsure:

But I could only imagine that they will either use this as part of the Carnival Of Screams, so that the actors know what scares the majority of people, or they will use it as another Clown Marketing Stunt that we saw just before Scarefest last year, who knows?

I think it will have something to do with the Carnival Of Screams, find out what it is about clowns that really freaks people out! I remember last year and what freaked me out the most was the clown that jumped down off the box and followed my group through part of maze coming at us with a knife!

Also on the website it mentions "But who is the terrifying stranger who lurks in the shadows?" this is suggesting that there will be something following groups round the maze! The research could be to do with this, using the research to create a scary character!

Voke
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:02 pm

The Clown that jumped down from the Metal Fence last year really was the highlight of the whole Maze for me, it just really did capture the scariness of the whole place, even if it was just a basic scare!

It would be really quite hard to get one Scare Actor to follow the whole group throughout the whole Maze, so instead of the queue-line, and a few other bits and pieces focusing on Kumba, -last year-, we could easily be given a Pre-Show of some sort explaining the situation, almost like the Boiler House Queue-Line videos/Outside scene from last years event!

Scott
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:10 pm

It's looking like it could be another impressive Scarefest event and it's something I do enjoy about Towers, and will be visiting at least once during Scarefest.

I am a little bit confused about the situation with Duel, is anything happening with it this year or will it continue to operate as normal this year, with the guns etc?

Finally on the subject of the mazes, I'll be more tempted to do all of them, now two of them are located in X-Sector, leaving the park was never really an option and felt like an inconveniance, as did doing them after park close and getting home pretty late, but now they are in the park itself, they seem a lot more tempting.
Number ONE for Pleasure Beach Blackpool;
[url=http://www.pleasurebeachexperience.com\" onclick=\"window.open(this.href);return false;]http://www.pleasurebeachexperience.com[/url]

AstroDan

Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:50 pm

Duel will operate as normal, to my disappointment. However, Towers are doing it as many guests actually complained about the disabling of guns last year!

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

DiogoJ42

Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:57 pm

WHAT?!? How retarded are these people?

AstroDan

Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:09 pm

Right, I am going to put a few points to bed now.

The mazes are categorically being located in the Black Hole Tent. I have no idea what Starbugger was looking at, or where, but the mazes are fully constructed and have been for some time. Secondly, I am suprised how quickly many people were to assume that because there were marquees by the hotels, that the mazes had been moved at this incredibly late stage. The event starts in 3 weeks 5 days from now - and the idea that they'd only just be putting marquees up for major, intensely themed scare mazes is laughable. I was getting, quite frankly, frustrated merely reading this thread yesterday evening - but at least now we can be rest assured that the mazes are in X Sector as they have been planned to be all along.

Regarding the loss of Duel Live, obviously people think the guns make the ride. When they see guns, and they don't work - they want to use them. Most families would rather shoot at things than just sit there it would appear. Especially given the fact the guns remain on the vehicles. Anyway, let's be honest - Duel Live/Skelvin was getting more and more diluted every year. It had a HUGE queue in 2008, with the brilliant spooky Butler. Then in 2009, the Butler was poor. Then 2010 it was far too kiddy and never had much of a queue + no butler. And last year, there were so many actors in there it was a complete waste. IWould rather have said actors in a Scare Zone or maze. But I will miss Duel Live. The music was amazing. Skelvin I didn't care for.

DiogoJ42

Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:23 pm

People like that shouldn't be allowed in the park tbh! :no:

oldgitBEN

Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:49 pm

"AstroDan" wrote:
, I am suprised how quickly many people were to assume that because there were marquees by the hotels, that the mazes had been moved at this incredibly late stage. The event starts in 3 weeks 5 days from now - and the idea that they'd only just be putting marquees up for major, intensely themed scare mazes is laughable. I was getting, quite frankly, frustrated merely reading this thread yesterday evening

looking at the TT updates from last year it looks like the marquee for both mazes last year only went up in early october, so I dont think it was a great stretch of the imagination - and as you say the mazes are in the BH tent, if there had been a problem it would have been rather easy to move the props over.

What I found frustrating reading the topic last night was people stating facts, which were ultimately correct, but being rather blunt and because these members know people on park and have abit of inside information get grumpy when other members make suggestions.

I'll leave it there as its going off topic.

gazag

Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:51 pm

i can see the mazes being nothing but better this year. they have a bigger budget, more actors and more room so they shuld be better. i hope theres some dialogue for COS too as it missed a little but the first scene and alot of the scenes in COS last year were genious.

remember one big thing though, being on park will hopefully mean the mazes get more visitors, this means merlin will take more money and hopefully will mean a step up and a bigger budget for the year after. making this event (and even simaler events in thorpe and chessie) bigger will be somthing they really cound do with.

Dylan
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:38 pm

"gazag" wrote:
remember one big thing though, being on park will hopefully mean the mazes get more visitors, this means merlin will take more money and hopefully will mean a step up and a bigger budget for the year after. making this event (and even simaler events in thorpe and chessie) bigger will be somthing they really cound do with.

I wouldn't really work on that basis when we are talking about Merlin in general. More profits from this years event will not guarantee more actors, larger and more detailed mazes. It will just be profit.
That said, I have always been very impressed with all of Alton's mazes (although I thought The Boiler House was a little poorer in the first year). I'm sure they will pull out some excellent experiences for us all.
ToTT 2009 remains my favourite maze of any park I have experienced to date.

Voke
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:08 pm

Alton's Scaremazes are easily the best in the Country at the moment, so I certainly don't think the standard will be going down this year! But I really would've enjoyed Duel Live this year if it returned to its original 2009 state, as it would really appeal to alot of people. Certainly alot more than Franklins Freaky Farm will this year, as Duel Live would certainly appeal to almost everyone, while the 'spruced up' Farm won't really excite many this year.

I may have a ponder around the Farmyard, but I certainly wont be spending long there at all when there's the Scarezone just around the corner, and from what i've heard, it does seem to be a very exciting new attraction for 2011!

gazag

Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:30 pm

"Dylan""][quote=""gazag" wrote:

I wouldn't really work on that basis when we are talking about Merlin in general. More profits from this years event will not guarantee more actors, larger and more detailed mazes. It will just be profit.
That said, I have always been very impressed with all of Alton's mazes (although I thought The Boiler House was a little poorer in the first year). I'm sure they will pull out some excellent experiences for us all.
ToTT 2009 remains my favourite maze of any park I have experienced to date.[/quote]

yes but merlin are not to miss out on a good thing, they are very good at finding that little bit of market then making it bigger and better (with only a few exceptions) of them making it more of a money spinner. they only brought out tussauds a very short time ago and therefor like any very good company they will make there money back first then start to really think about the profit margin and the income margin. a stable of a good buisness is realising that customer satisfaction is directally linked to profit. this is somthing merlin and alton towers do very well. give merlin 2-4 years to make the initial investment back then we shall see it properly kick off into some real money's being spent to inprove customer satisfaction, attendence and consiquentely presentation.

thus as they already know scare sells (which it does) they will make the event bigger and better with larger profit