UK theme parks from another point of view!

Tommy
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Scarefest 2011: General Discussion

Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:25 pm

Then, in all seriousness, there probably weren't that many in the maze!

toxicgirl
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:41 am

Was at Scarefest all yesterday (after going on the Weds during the first week) and had quite a different experience.

First, obviously it was crazy busy. Queues were up to 2 hours long in the afternoon/evening, although most around the 60-70 min mark. However,we got in the queue for Rita stating 70 mins, and were stuck in it for 1 hr 45 mins, so their estimations were a bit off :( There were also big queues for tables at restaurants and smaller food outlets were running out of things (no veggie pasties). I even saw a massive queue for face painting!

We ended up doing the rapids twice due to shorter wait times, which was great - it felt as if they'd made the water choppier and there were more bumps and splashes :)

TOTT still good, but less actors than before so far fewer jumps. We queued before it opened and noticed the queues for this afterwards were 2 hours + on each of the 3 times we checked.

Didn't bother with the paid mazes again, especially as I know they've been half price recently. Did wander into Xsector and saw large queues for COS and BH and glad I didn't bother - if they have set times for tickets I would have thought that could have been kept down somewhat?

Won't go on the equivalent weekend next year for sure, but I must mention some positives! There was far more of a buzz on the park at night, and more folks in some excellent fancy dress, which also led to some enthusiast scares in the Haunted Hollow, near Duel toilets (you know the bit!), and Hex exit - if any of these were you, well done and thanks as this really made my day! (shame AT itself didn't put in as much effort)

jordanc14
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:11 am

Did all 3 mazes yesterday and all i can say is WOW!

First, I did boiler house which was a very long queue around 35 minutes I think, but it was bearable.
[spoiler:1bw6q0ij]Upon entering the maze I wasnt actually quite as scared by the first scene, it didn't last as long as seemed as though it was done with no effort it was just "where's the mask? Go! Go!" Just was like oh?in the maze I actually thought it offered more scares than on the 16th. Especially in the strobe maze, they have really found their feet and it was enjoyable. But I do think it is overall the weakest maze and it wasn't as good as last year, wouldn't be guttered if it didn't return next year.[/spoiler:1bw6q0ij]
Overall I give it 6/10

Now, the carnival of screams. I actually found this maze quite a lot scarier, but some bits were better than the 16th. Also some bits weren't as good as last year in my opinion.
[spoiler:1bw6q0ij]To start with, I thought to say that how tired the barker looked, he was still trying very hard to entertain. Kumba wasn't there on the 16th but he was yesterday, and he seemed to be so quiet which was disappointing. Most of the maze was executed well, really enjoyed the puppet clowns, and the girl that is behind the mirror, and I absolutely LOVE the living dummy, really creepy and well done this year, which again wasn't there on the 16th. In the mirror maze, we had to evacuate. We were told that an the E-stop had been pressed, not sure if anyone could clarify? In the last room, i thoroughly it, the clones really picked you out and they were really creepy when they talked to you, they literally blocked the way.[/spoiler:1bw6q0ij]
Overall I give it 7.5/10

Next, terror of the towers and it was the best run through I have EVER done on any scare mazes. It was really fun, filled with LOADS of scares and actors and a little twist...
[spoiler:1bw6q0ij]We started the maze with the usual video and crawling, but as we got to the crated area there were at least 4 actors in here and you could never see where they were going next, the seemed to be everywhere, scaring front, middle and back of the group. Once after being slaughtered by them as we got to the end of the room, there was a twist, which I have never seen before. The actor told us to take our hands off of the person in front of us, turn 180 degrees and then put our hands on their shoulders. This meant the person at the front was at the back and vice versa, never known anything like it. Through the maze, it was soooooo long, but not so it was boring. There were at least 2 actors in every scene, and you may see them again later in the maze, there really were a good number of actors throughout, really enjoyed the banqueting table again, the maid is a great actress. But, in the strobe maze, it is back to its former glory. The actors were a lot more in your face and they wouldn't leave you alone, one even started rustling my hair and he kept moving so i couldn't see where he was with the strobes. Although I found this extremely scary they should probably keep to the no touching rule, but as said before, it wasn't as if I was a yob who would abuse him.[/spoiler:1bw6q0ij]
So I really loved this maze because of all the reasons listed above, overall, i just can't help but give it 10/10. I'm not exaggerating, but I have never had such an immersive maze experience.

thefatone
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:34 am

One of the best things I experienced on my visits was the guests who have taken it upon themselves to scare people down the Haunted Hallow - some were dressed up as zombies and people mistaken them as towers staff! Was great fun to see.

Joe Koopa
TT Member
TT Member

Scarefest 2011: General Discussion

Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:13 pm

I spent a large fraction of the last two days at Alton Towers for Scarefest. I can only really echo what's already been said, to be honest. Neither of the paid mazes, nor the park's lighting or atmosphere even come close to last year's sensational standards.

Carnival of Screams was good, though lacked actors (the dot room, for instance was completely empty), and when compared to what I felt to be a perfect maze past year, I just left with a straight face. Boiler House too was average, I jumped a lot, but it lacks any real atmosphere or intensity. Seeing the two faces appear from behind curtains does begin to become dull.

Terror Of The Towers, on the other hand, was brilliant. The place was crawling with actors, and I'm finding it hard to think of a flaw. Definiatley the saving grace of this year's mediocre event. :)

PeteB
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:34 pm

"jordanc14" wrote:
The actor told us to take our hands off of the person in front of us, turn 180 degrees and then put our hands on their shoulders. This meant the person at the front was at the back and vice versa, never known anything like it.

Thats really good. They used to do this in a very old version of ToTT, the very first FO1KS and Room 13. I always thought it was a good idea to have a break point halfway through the maze where everyone would swap over, and mean't that everyone got good scares.

Perhaps what happened to you was just a one off but I really think they should always be doing this in each maze, as the people at the back very rarely get good scares (although thats an easy fix too).

NickT04
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:44 pm

"longy0151""][quote=""NickT04" wrote:
I'm amazed I haven't seen this in this thread yet (if I've missed it - apologies) but...

"New offer for Annual Pass holders- a fantastic 50% discount on selected timeslots! To claim, simply visit the Resort Box Office on Towers Street with your Annual Pass – you’ll get the combined maze ticket for both The Boiler House and Carnival of Screams for just £6. The offer is valid on 27th, 28th, 30th and 31st October for timeslots between 1pm- 5pm – numbers are limited so book soon! Cannot be transfered to existing bookings."

Shame it's not available on the evening time slots, I've never done the extra mazes in the day - but on the basis I get to keep an extra £6 I'll do that.

However I feel for those AP holders that have already been...

*Cough Towers Times homepage Cough*
Yeah, we knew about that. You can also quote Towers Times Forum and get the same deal if you don't have an annual pass. :)[/quote]

Ah I never go to the homepage, I have a bookmark straight to the forum!

Stelios7
TT Member
TT Member
Location: Somewhere near Disney Land Stafford. I mean... err... Derbyshire.

Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:47 pm

"thefatone" wrote:
One of the best things I experienced on my visits was the guests who have taken it upon themselves to scare people down the Haunted Hallow - some were dressed up as zombies and people mistaken them as towers staff! Was great fun to see.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who noticed that! :D
Officially, TTF's Only EasyJet founder.

onair
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:00 pm

Yes saw them too, they were very good.

We were walking along the hollow and suddenly saw a hand appear through the ivy arch sides. (bit like the carey horror film end)

Really made me jump.

Pricey ;)
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:12 pm

My group also had to be turned round, it was a brilliant twist and it was becuse my freind behind wasn't scared and said something cheeky, this then meant we were the main targets for all 4 actors, I was very scared indeed!

Liam B
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:50 pm

right Im back from an EXTREMELY busy weekend. here comes the review

Terror of the Towers

I thought this was very well done. It may have been almost exactly the same as last year but I didn't mind that. The actors were on top form when it opened and one of them, while we where waiting for the group in front to get away, even took my friends glasses off (we were dressed as nerds) and started talking to another actor saying "oh these are a good set of glasses" "yes they do suit you dont they" XD XD it was funny. Rest of the maze very scary with no fault scares :) 8/10 as they need to make something new!!

Carnival of Screams

Now I have 2 views to this as I did it at 9 on Saturday and 1 on Sunday so I will do 2 reviews. Saturday night was not doing too well :/ to start off the actors seemed completely knackered and not really bothering. The only things that really worked that night was the dummy and the clowns at the end as they were doing very well. 5/10 for that night. Sunday was a difference. The barker had tons of things to say and gave us quite a few scares and the maze was packed with actors. Only problem was no living dummy. at all. he was gone! 7/10 for sunday.

The Boiler house

Once again I did this twice so here is 2 reviews. Saturday night was an absolute disgrace. There was literally 1 Elsie actor and that was it! she was the only one 2 follow us through at the maze. Did not once see victor. There were HUGE gaps in the mazes with 0 scares and it wasn't a good finish at all. starter actor was doing well though and themeing looked good :) Sunday though was extremely scary. There was plenty of actors this time. We were in a group of 5 and I was at the back and they both were following me and it was VERY scary. finale worked perfectly at that time. 8/10 for the Sunday.

Zombies!!

What on earth was that?? is how I felt after coming out of this. It was shocking . I even waited till dark and did it again to make sure and again it was terrible. The actors where standing still making noises not jumping at anyone. I even went close to one to try and get him to scare me but he didn't do anything!
This lacked everything. The lighting was the only thing that was reasonably ok but I felt like this was not worth being there. 3/10 and that is pushing it.

Park in general

For Saturday night it looked very nice Nemesis was nearly back to being completely red and oblivion was AMAZING. lighting around the park I found ok. katanga was looking very nice. and towers street was 2 :)

So over all the only reason Im rating the mazes so high is cause I gave them a second chance as the tickets were half price. If you were the GP you wouldn't risk it. New mazes Alton and get rid of these horrible things you call flood lights.

P.S the diversion for the over spill car parks were ridiculous!! and drove you out into the middle of nowhere!!

P.P.S I shall now be starting my recreations :)

Pricey ;)
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:09 pm

Zombies!!

What on earth was that?? is how I felt after coming out of this. It was shocking . I even waited till dark and did it again to make sure and again it was terrible. The actors where standing still making noises not jumping at anyone. I even went close to one to try and get him to scare me but he didn't do anything!
This lacked everything. The lighting was the only thing that was reasonably ok but I felt like this was not worth being there. 3/10 and that is pushing it.

Really? :shock:

I went on this as soon as it opened in the day and I thaught exactly the same! There was that many people going through the 'zombies' just stood there! However when we had half an hour left we had nothing we could go on so we went back to it and I have to say it was the best on park considering it had no queue, I went through with mylmate and we were picked on like I dont know what! And to make it worse the more times we went in the more they knew us and the zombie policeman took a very strong liking to me, in the end I was on the floor with my hands over my ears shouting go away over and over again, it was more intense than any of the mazes especially as there wasnt a single member of our group to be seen around us just several zombies drawing in!

On another note ive just found this on scareattractions, its about FO1KS-
http://www.scareattractions.co.uk/image ... rticle.pdf

Liam B
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:14 pm

"Pricey ;)" wrote:

Yeah I have looked at this many a time :)

AstroDan

Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:48 pm

I popped up for the last two hours today simply to ensure my last memory of Halloween events this year wasn't the jokes of the mazes at Terenzi.

I am glad I did. Terror of the Towers - a sublime, well produced maze yet again. It is some of Alton Towers' very best work.

Well done!

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

TowersJake
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:28 am

enjoyed my last scarefest on sunday, very busy i must say, terror of the towers reached 2 hours 40 mins queueing right past the first stairs.
Was anyone there on sunday to notice they had technical difficulties with the lighting effects onto the towers, they kept switching on and off.
Also i heard by a member of staff they had to open a overfill queue line for th13teen out of the entrance heard it was 2 hours.

ATJakee Youtube Channel !

NickT04
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:59 pm

"TowersJake" wrote:
enjoyed my last scarefest on sunday, very busy i must say, terror of the towers reached 2 hours 40 mins queueing right past the first stairs.
Was anyone there on sunday to notice they had technical difficulties with the lighting effects onto the towers, they kept switching on and off.
Also i heard by a member of staff they had to open a overfill queue line for th13teen out of the entrance heard it was 2 hours.

They were faffing about with the lights on the Towers last night as well, and given the activity and lasers around the lake, I'm banking on it being Firework preparation!

PeteB
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:11 pm

"NickT04" wrote:
and given the activity and lasers around the lake, I'm banking on it being Firework preparation!

Pics are required! :D

Dormiens-Dave

Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:13 pm

I'm going to do a final thoughts for Scarefest 2011...

So we know somethings have been dissapointing such as the lighting but i have a hope that this is due to them taking the initiative to buy the lighting instead of rent it and year on year we should get a better event.

Having though gone to what is often considered a premier scare event in the last week in Europa-Park (Terenzi Horror Nights) i have to say we actually don't know how lucky we are... Compared to Terenzi the mazes at Towers when running at their worst where far better than the majority of the mazes at the Terenzi event. Yes Towers could learn from EP when it comes to the park decoration for halloween but boy can Terenzi learn alot from how to run a scaremaze from Towers

So in conclusion (taking into account my previous reviews) yes it could have been better but compared to what is on offer in other parts of europe... we aint got it half bad.... but i will say this, Many attractions are pushing the boat out for scare attractions in the UK and i have heard a lot of guests compare the Scarefest offering to events like Farmageddom... If Towers want to maintain the momentum of Scarefest they need to Up their game next year, its just good business sense.

:)

Vik
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:29 pm

"NickT04""][quote=""TowersJake" wrote:

A.

They were faffing about with the lights on the Towers last night as well, and given the activity and lasers around the lake, I'm banking on it being Firework preparation![/quote]

Not sure about Sunday, but I believe there was a brief power cut in ToTT early yesterday evening, which also resulted in the lights illuminating the Towers going out too.

Spent all day there yesterday, and, despite my reservations in doing so, decided to try the paid mazes again. The £6 AP offer helped in me deciding to do so, had they of been full price I would not of done so. These were much better than the other two times I have been through these. Carnival was the best I have experienced, and even topped last years for me. The living Dummy is really freaky. There were plenty of actors in there this time, compared to at most, five, on Friday. Boiler house was really good as well, and the final scene was much better, with actors chasing groups out of the exit.

ToTT was fantastic, and is by far the best maze. The early afternoon visit contained loads of actors who taunted the whole group from start to finish. Last run through, just before 10pm was rather poor, with very few actors.

Overall, despite what appears to of been a poor start to the event, it seems to of improved considerably over time. However, it should be consistently from the beginning to the end of the event. Shouldn't really take until the final weekend for things to be at their near best. A lesson that I hope will be learnt for next year.
Sent from my ZX81 via Time Travel

NickT04
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:14 pm

"Vik""][quote=""NickT04""][quote=""TowersJake" wrote:

A.

They were faffing about with the lights on the Towers last night as well, and given the activity and lasers around the lake, I'm banking on it being Firework preparation![/quote]

Not sure about Sunday, but I believe there was a brief power cut in ToTT early yesterday evening, which also resulted in the lights illuminating the Towers going out too.

Spent all day there yesterday, and, despite my reservations in doing so, decided to try the paid mazes again. The £6 AP offer helped in me deciding to do so, had they of been full price I would not of done so. These were much better than the other two times I have been through these. Carnival was the best I have experienced, and even topped last years for me. The living Dummy is really freaky. There were plenty of actors in there this time, compared to at most, five, on Friday. Boiler house was really good as well, and the final scene was much better, with actors chasing groups out of the exit.

ToTT was fantastic, and is by far the best maze. The early afternoon visit contained loads of actors who taunted the whole group from start to finish. Last run through, just before 10pm was rather poor, with very few actors.

Overall, despite what appears to of been a poor start to the event, it seems to of improved considerably over time. However, it should be consistently from the beginning to the end of the event. Shouldn't really take until the final weekend for things to be at their near best. A lesson that I hope will be learnt for next year.[/quote]

Ah, now you say power cut it was awfully quiet too thinking about it - that would make sense! :D