UK theme parks from another point of view!

Don't_Look_Down
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Alton Towers documentary

Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:16 pm

Came across this documentary on Youtube. It's quite old (1997), but there's some great behind the scenes footage.
Oblivion beckons in T-minus five minutes, be prepared for embarkation!

Eat, sleep, Apocalypse!

James
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Alton Towers documentary

Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:19 pm

Ahh, good 'ol Magic Factory. This has come up on here before, a great documentary and always nice to watch, really reminds me of the magic of Alton.

Rowe

Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:37 pm

Park Life is now available on Youtube with the full Alton Towers series (of course), in speak of documentaries at the park :)

Voke
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:47 pm

Brilliant peice of footage, but as users have said before me. It's been posted a million times, it never loses its magic though :D

[Archive]

Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:14 pm

It is an extremely in depth documentary, and is very useful. I love it.

They should make another one soon, the same way they did it before by covering the park for a whole season and following particular members of staff.

Magic Binman, we love you.

Jordan

Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:24 pm

Ahh, The Magic Factory. It's such a great documentary and features so much of the classic stuff like the old Towers Street Music and Toyland Tours :)

"Rowe" wrote:
Park Life is now available on Youtube with the full Alton Towers series (of course), in speak of documentaries at the park :)

I've just looked up that on YouTube and I'm surprised I haven't noticed it on there before. I'm sure I've seen the first episode on TV many years ago though (before the enthusiast days :P ) I'm jumping between the coaster/park bits because the hotel auditions and ice show bits don't really interest me much. Thanks for mentioning it :)

themealgang
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:44 pm

This is a great documentary and reminds us of the good old days and just what a significant ride Oblivion was! Wasn't it made by the BBC for educational purposes and for schools to use?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

[Archive]

Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:56 pm

Judging by the "BBC Learning" logo in the top left corner, yes! :wink:

Tom G
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:33 pm

Watching it now. Wasn't fashion and hairstyling embarrassing back then...and how the BBC have changed, allowing mild four-letter words and a Diet Coke logo to be freely seen.

Doopy Dan
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:48 pm

The Magic Factory is very good.

Themes, Dreams and Scream Machines was the best of Alton documentary's. This documentary follows the construction of Katanga Canyon and Gloomy Wood / The Haunted House. Infact most of the construction pictures on Haunted Ones website are screen captured from this documentary.

Someone sent me a copy in 2003, but i lost it and have never been able to find another copy :(

CoasterCrazyChris
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:09 pm

"Doopy Dan" wrote:
Themes, Dreams and Scream Machines was the best of Alton documentary's. This documentary follows the construction of Katanga Canyon and Gloomy Wood / The Haunted House. Infact most of the construction pictures on Haunted Ones website are screen captured from this documentary.

Someone sent me a copy in 2003, but i lost it and have never been able to find another copy :(

You better find it... and quick! :P

James
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:36 pm

"electricBlll" wrote:
They should make another one soon, the same way they did it before by covering the park for a whole season and following particular members of staff.

I agree, I would love the BBC(or another TV channel) to film the planning/meetings/marketing/construction of SW7, I found watching the build up to Oblivion on The Magic Factory very interesting, would be nice to see how they do things again with another Secret Weapon.

"Rowe" wrote:

Oh god, that's a blast from the past, I remember watching that with my mother when I was younger. :P

Now Alton Towers, I know you read this forum. Make another documentary. :P I think it would be very interesting to see how the park is now run, and to see how different all of the behind the scenes stuff is.

[Archive]

Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:30 pm

"Doopy Dan" wrote:

[s:3rkmj0vj]How much do you want from me when you find it? I'm thinking in the thousands?

Please! [-o<[/s:3rkmj0vj]

:yes: Wait, no need.
Last edited by [Archive] on Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hauntedone
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:48 pm

"Doopy Dan" wrote:

Just to correct you, the majority of the Construction photos came from Sparkes and Alton Towers Archives.

Rita 2005
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:36 pm

"themealgang" wrote:
Wasn't it made by the BBC for educational purposes and for schools to use?

No, it was part of the Modern Times series of documentary programmes on BBC2, covering a wide range of subjects.

moog666
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:17 pm

I didnt know park life existed. watching it now.

Oh and theres this.

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=260x8_sv4Qs&feature=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=260x8_sv ... re=related[/url]

0:23 Undisputed evidence that the other arm on submission works. (just for the doubters)

Also just noticed the narrators name is Emily WRAITH! lol

If you must make jokes about Steve Jobs, Try to keep them PC.

SAW_gameover
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:19 pm

"moog666" wrote:
I didnt know park life existed. watching it now.

Oh and theres this.

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=260x8_sv4Qs&feature=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=260x8_sv ... re=related[/url]

0:23 Undisputed evidence that the other arm on submission works. (just for the doubters)

Also just noticed the narrators name is Emily WRAITH! lol

That arms been in operation for the last however many months.
[size=125]http://www.ukparknews.co.uk
UK Park News - Your Dedicated Theme Park Resource

moog666
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:30 pm

I dont think so. unless Im mistaken it has not ran with both arms for a long time.

If you must make jokes about Steve Jobs, Try to keep them PC.

Pennywise
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:36 pm

"moog666" wrote:
I dont think so. unless Im mistaken it has not ran with both arms for a long time.

Not both arms at the same time, but the second arm was fixed this season and both arms can now work. :)

CoasterCrazyChris
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:18 pm

"CoasterCrazyChris"&quot;][quote=&quot;"Doopy Dan" wrote:

You better find it... and quick! :P[/quote]

Hooray! We have it at last! :D