UK theme parks from another point of view!

torps235
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Air's Military concepts

Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:15 pm

From reading some posts in the JW topic, 1 person said that the military theme didn't exist. So just to correct him, here are the concepts back in 2001.

Taken from my camera phone, so sorry for the blurry image...if anyone is good an enhancing text and can read what is says - please do!

I know it starts with: The addition to Forbidden Valley

[url=http://i53.tinypic.com/312a9uo.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]http://i53.tinypic.com/312a9uo.jpg[/url]

[url=http://i55.tinypic.com/64h2mp.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]http://i55.tinypic.com/64h2mp.jpg[/url]

Spike
TT Member
TT Member
Location: Curled up in Nemmies claws. Sound asleep and purring like a kitten.

Re: Air's Military concepts

Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:24 pm

Why they didn't go with that I will never understand. :?

It is themeless and bland just like the ride.

Thankyou for sharing. :)
MY HAND IS A DOLPHIN!!! >:O
*Honest Cint!*

deadwing
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:03 pm

Interesting finds, where did these come from? Certainly would have been much more interesting if they had gone with these. I always thought they should use those bird things from mutant racers more prominently.

That airship in the second picture seems to be the one from Discoveryland at Disneyland Paris.
In the coat you wore to Alton Towers is still the way I see you now...

Voke
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:22 pm

This is much better theming then the pointless blue-paint smothered all over everywhere? It doesn't even have a theme? Why didn't they go with this? Money?

And just look at that Air Tunnel :twisted:

Blaze

Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:22 pm

Great find :clap: Even if it does make a fool out of me :lol:

To be honest, it is just a mood board from early development, in the same way that what eventually became Thirteen had quary themes, racing themes, machines themes and several others. Air would have had several theme ideas before they settled on the oasis idea. This one was probably rejected because it did not fit with the style of the ride type, and because it would only really work if it was built over Nemesis, and even then was shaky in terms of plot. They were probably also worried about it being too similar to Oblivion.

And before anyone says it, they didn't reject this for the oasis theme because of 9/11. It would have been far too late to change in then and why should they have changed it? If it was built in America, maybe, and maybe if the theme involved flying into a building or something, but the oasis theme was chosen because that's the one they wanted to go with.

Air was never going to have a millitary theme, but it was considered before the deveopment really began.

PeteB
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:59 pm

"Blaze" wrote:
Great find :clap: Even if it does make a fool out of me :lol:

To be honest, it is just a mood board from early development, in the same way that what eventually became Thirteen had quary themes, racing themes, machines themes and several others. Air would have had several theme ideas before they settled on the oasis idea. This one was probably rejected because it did not fit with the style of the ride type, and because it would only really work if it was built over Nemesis, and even then was shaky in terms of plot. They were probably also worried about it being too similar to Oblivion.

And before anyone says it, they didn't reject this for the oasis theme because of 9/11. It would have been far too late to change in then and why should they have changed it? If it was built in America, maybe, and maybe if the theme involved flying into a building or something, but the oasis theme was chosen because that's the one they wanted to go with.

Air was never going to have a millitary theme, but it was considered before the deveopment really began.

Thats not entirely true though is it? Th13teen was born out of the dark forest mood board because that was the most popular option. If they had chosen racers theme we would have ended up with a completely different coaster, because the drop section wouldnt work at all on a racing theme.

Whereas with air it seems to be the other way around, they knew they were getting a flying coaster and had the choice of 2 themes (maybe more?) to fit around it - oasis and military. They chose neither and we ended up with a blue coaster on a bit of green land with some trees and a bit of fence.

Nightfall
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:14 pm

I wouldn't call this a Military theme. It looks more like the upcoming Da Vinci design Europa Park are working on. I still think the idea of Air fighting Nemesis was Fan Nonsense. Good thing too because this looks allot better :)

If Disney had been working on Air I would of preferred this theme. I'm glad they didn't choose it. The Modern/Oasis theme is very minimalist anyway so having most the theme missing isn't too much of a problem. If they had used this inventive theme and half of it was missing Air would have looked even worse. I would guess the simpler and more interactive elements of the Oasis were why they chose it.
ImageImage

NickT04
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:16 pm

Looks perfect for Jak & Daxter: The Ride.

djtruefitt

Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:52 am

I have to say the theme does look good but I do prefer Air as it is now, it works well as it is with its calm theme with the bushes, blues and modern things such as the station. It goes well with the ride which is all about flying. If it has been developed into a Nemesis fighting machine style thing it wouldnt be so family friendly and I think not all rollercoasters should have "scary" themes.

The only problem with the current theme is that it needs finishing off, such as the tunel and other bits and pieces. Just imagine if they had choosen this theme and ran out of money, it would probs be alot worse than what we have now and would have a theme that didnt really make any sense (maybe a bit like Th13teen!)

riderita
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:16 am

To me it looks like a continuation from the Flying contraption in the AT hotel...

ShadowTD
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:54 pm

Wow.

Amazing to see this after all these years. Many people have stated as fact that there was no 'military' concept for Air and it's brilliant to see these boards.

I would have love to have seen the ride turn out like this. It would make FV one cohesive whole, unlike what we have now. But better to have a theme clash than no theme at all!

Blaze

Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:42 pm

Cohesive? Apocalytic alien, steampunk military fantasy? Verrry cohesive ;)

Adz
Team Admin
Team Admin

Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:13 pm

These were early storyboard concepts. By the time the ride was going through actual planning stages to be built the rides theme had already been changed to what we see today, though with more water features and a touch more blatant sponsorship.