UK theme parks from another point of view!

Blaze

Re: Which rides do you have a love/hate relationship with?

Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:32 pm

I suppose I could say Thirteen.
I adore the ride, I think it's magnificent, and loved following the construction.
But, as much as I knew it was going to be more of a family ride than Nemesis v2, I still look at it and think what could have been if it wern't for those bloody trims. It would still have been a family ride, but the airtime would have been incredible.

Also, Air.
Again, I love it to bits, and find the first helix the most intense part of any ride I've ever been on (answers on a postcard, please), but all that missed opportunity. I love the simplistic, sereneness of it, but the theming it was meant to have was great and then that tunnel...
Yet everytime I ride it I forget all that and fall in love.

Pennywise
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:59 pm

Battle Galleons - I love the fantastic theming, definitely some of the best at Alton, but hate that I rarely want to ride it because you get so wet.

Hex - I hate the pre-shows... well, I don't hate them, but have seen them so many times that I just want to get on the ride. But, obviously, I love the atmosphere, theming and ride itself.

:D

AstroDan

Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:10 pm

Agree on both counts - I sometimes actively avoid riding Hex and sit in Her Ladyships Garden! I know that sounds awful as Hex is pretty much the best Dark Ride in the UK and the best Mad House ever built, but after 50 times over 10 years (or more) the pre shows just get arduous!

:(

James
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:17 pm

I never take notice of the pre-shows when I'm in Hex, I usually either stare at the floor, wall, admire the theming, think of where I'm going to go next, daydream...

I love the story of Hex, but when you can remember the pre-shows word for word, you know that you've been in there to many times. :P

I really wish I could watch the queue line videos fully in Hex, the queue either moves to quick or like Scarefest where you can't hear the queue line video because of people talking. I love the theming in Hex though, I could happily be left to wander the whole of the ride areas on my own, it's just true Alton magic at it's best.

Magrathea
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:46 pm

This is probably going to be really controversial but for me it's Nemmy.
I love it for its unique layout, and it's...awesomeness, but I can't ride it without blacking out and sometimes it's just slightly too rough and repeat rides in ERT just lead to headaches.
I can't be the only one? Right...Riight? :oops:
*runs*

Don't_Look_Down
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:06 pm

"Magrathea" wrote:
This is probably going to be really controversial but for me it's Nemmy.
I love it for its unique layout, and it's...awesomeness, but I can't ride it without blacking out and sometimes it's just slightly too rough and repeat rides in ERT just lead to headaches.
I can't be the only one? Right...Riight? :oops:
*runs*

Nemmy - rough? :shock:

She flies like a bird in the sky... :whistle:
Oblivion beckons in T-minus five minutes, be prepared for embarkation!

Eat, sleep, Apocalypse!

Kaycee

Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:56 pm

"AstroDan" wrote:
Agree on both counts - I sometimes actively avoid riding Hex and sit in Her Ladyships Garden! I know that sounds awful as Hex is pretty much the best Dark Ride in the UK and the best Mad House ever built, but after 50 times over 10 years (or more) the pre shows just get arduous!

:(

Oh, I so disagree... :( Those pre-shows are so well-done, they always send shivers down my spine. :( So sad you avoid them!

Rowe

Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:02 pm

Hmm... :P

Rita

+ Great experience
- Long queues

Sonic Spinball

+ The joy out of spinning in a frenzy
- Long queues

Congo River Rapids

+ Unexpected, great laugh
- Unexpected wetness

ciaran
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:26 pm

The Monorails for me
I love them because of there characters and adds the experince to entering alton towers but I hate it when the audio is not working or when I get the same train again!

Valentez
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:12 pm

AIR

Had a bit of an obsession during the whole SW5 construction project and it's a great ride, funnily enough my favourite part would be the section just before the brake run. However the bare pre-lift tunnel really grates and last visit (30th birthday event) the restraint left some sort of black stain on my new shirt. It was literally one of the first rides of the day and would not wash out, it was a white shirt too. #-o

[Archive]

Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:28 pm

Air.

Is neither here nor there.

I ride it every time, but it does not give me that "oMG I am actually at Alton Towers on a ride, I can't believe it, at last!" sort of thrill. It does have a good "wow" factor, and is actually a pretty nice coaster, but there is something very strange about it...

When I think of Alton Towers, I do not think of Air. When I enter Forbidden Valley, I do not think of Air. Even when I see it, if I ever do go all the way down to the bottom of FV, I just look at it and think: "Oh, hey, Air." As opposed to when I see the first glimpse of Nemesis or Oblivion in the distance and I almost wet myself.

However, recently it has started to interest me at last. In 2009 I never saw it properly, as I only rode it once at night. However, in the darkness, it had a brilliantly eerie atmosphere. Since the queueline takes you very far away from the rest of Alton Towers, over the hill[s:1m0ov9nx]s[/s:1m0ov9nx] and far away as it were [/teletubby moment], I did feel a bit lost in the furthest part of the park, with the rollercoaster calmly gliding around. I liked it, and the ride experience itself in the darkness was really something to remember.

Then, in 2010, I really started to like it. I love the thrill I get when the trains tilt, and I love the position you fly in. I love the fly to lie... It was all great. Even entering the tunnel did something for me.

However, everything tells me not to like it. It has no themework and has bare, boring spaces that could so easily be filled with a bit of imagination. The ride experience is quite slow and nothing particularly fascinating. But I still quite like it regardless.

Then there is Haunted House, or "Duel" as it is now known by.

Well, I love the original conceptual ideas put forward for it in 1990. It has so much magic and atmosphere. Personally I feel that something definitely went wrong during the process of bringing the original ideas to reality, and the finished ride was not as good as it could have been (judging from the bits of evidence). However, the ride clearly developed its own, refined character and charisma, which is still very evident when you ride it today as Duel. The themework is brilliant, and there was lots of love and effort put into it. I am also very fascinated by all the changes it has gone through, all the lost/failed effects and all its history. Such a shame it is now nothing like it used to be, and I can tell easily without even going on the original ride.

On the down side, it is so naff! Naff, naff, NAFF! I went on Skelvin's Haunted Adventure this year and I just kept thrinking to myself: "Wow! How come Haunted House has turned into something so terribly naff?!"

pixie-ro
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:53 pm

I hate CATCF, although I feel I have to ride it every trip, in some sort of warped sense of duty. :?

James
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:28 pm

^^ Weirdly, I'm the same with CATCF. I hate it, yet ride it every time. :lol:

Rowe

Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:56 pm

After re-riding Chazza at Scarefest, I have a new affection for the ride and in all honesty feel quite sorry for the poor thing because there is so much potential that just wasn't recognised.

A large of majority of TTFers hold a [s:1ix9wxg0]hatred[/s:1ix9wxg0] dislike for it and have mentioned it many times on meets. I can understand the dislike but I don't hold any major qualms against Chazza. Yes, theming could be better and the lack of interaction is... disarming, but hey it's still a bit of fun right? That's what rides and rollercoasters are made for.

Anyway, back on topic... ish.

Mike
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:52 pm

For me it's Air.

It was my first ever coaster, and at the time I thought it was the best thing since...well anything tbh. Now I think other coasters at Alton beat it, but I still think it would be a world-class ride if it just didnt (station aside) lack any decent theming whatsoever.

Thanks to Ian for the sig!

Air Guy 138
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:15 pm

Although I've only been on it once, it's Th13teen.

It's a strange ride, and I don't whether I like it or I hate it. I enjoyed it, but it wasn't as 'WOW' as other rides like Air or Oblivion, and when I came off, I shrugged and said "Meh". Also, the drop wasn't as scary as I hoped.

I will still ride it next time I'm at AT though. 8)
[b]Alton Towers Top 31. Air 2. Oblivion 3. Nemesis

Altonfan
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:08 pm

Rita for me, Only been on it once. just before the second hill my head was pushed forward, hurting my neck. (i gues i should have done what the voice said and kept my head back and hold on tight) i did neither of those things, I just put my hands up.

I love the speed and the launch tho! I like the way rita dominated the area, it gives the area more structure.

AshleeK
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:23 pm

For me, it's Oblivion. After riding Sheikra in Busch Gardens, Oblivion seems rather dull, but every time I ride it I still get a rush. It's not something I go out of my way to ride though, I only go on it if the queue is short or if I'm with people that want to ride it.

Blaze

Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:55 pm

"Altonfan" wrote:
Rita for me, Only been on it once. just before the second hill my head was pushed forward, hurting my neck. (i gues i should have done what the voice said and kept my head back and hold on tight) i did neither of those things, I just put my hands up.

I love the speed and the launch tho! I like the way rita dominated the area, it gives the area more structure.

Happened to me on my first ride. Trust me, if you brace, it gets better :lol:

The way it cuts through the area gives it less structure, though, surely? It cuts right down the middle, pretty much stopping them doing anything new there, all they can do is refurb existing infrastructure and build on the outskirts of the area, like Thirteen and the old Ug Swinger site. The main part of the area is untouchable thanks to Rita.

Ellie

Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:11 pm

I would say mine is between Ripsaw and Air. I love riding Ripsaw but not a fan of getting wet on it i know it is not that often that you get wet on it any more but I just don't want to get wet so don't tend to risk going on.
and Air just for the fact that i like the ride, but it always has a very big queue so don't tend to go on it very much (especially when the rest of the group don't want to queue.)

<3