UK theme parks from another point of view!

monsterdan5

Re: 2011: New Attractions Discussion

Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:42 pm

Noooo not another one 1 and 2 were ok but now...

siralgenon
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:05 pm

Not putting a downer on anything & not saying this is not true but we seem to be going full speed ahead over a rumour again.

James
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:21 pm

True. But at least we have something to discuss. The fact that people have been arguing about taking photographs in the water park and we have a topic on toilets just shows how bad this season has been.

Coke
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:29 pm

Are you thirsty?

AstroDan

Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:35 pm

I believe there will be no new attraction in 2011.

:)

siralgenon
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:38 pm

Have you found this out or is it just an opinion?

Dormiens-Dave

Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:55 pm

I definately dont think Ice Age will be occuring this season, for a big project there would have been construction started and theres no evidence of that.

I think we have to make peace with the idea that there will likely be no new rides in 2011

But that doesnt mean it has to be a bad season

siralgenon
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:01 pm

Yer, hopefully 2011 will be a year of improvements!

AstroDan

Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:04 pm

From TT News, this evening:

No New Ride for 2011

After the Shrek 4D project was cancelled before Christmas, it was understood that Alton Towers were busy putting together a new attraction proposal for the 2011 season. However, Towers Times has received information that this has come to nothing and that there will be no new attraction for the new season. This means that it will be the first year in the theme parks history when no new attraction is added.

In addition, Towers Times also believes that The Beastie, which we originally understood was given a reprieve following speculation of its removal at the end of the 2010 season, will in fact be 'Standing But Not Operating (SBNO)" for the 2011 season - much like the Black Hole was for several years following its closure in 2005.

Magrathea
TT Member
TT Member

Re: 2011: Discussion

Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:11 pm

Are TT able to reveal the nature of this "revealed information"? :P
It'll be really sad to see the Beastie not running, didn't ride it all last season, would rather like to go on it again :(.

Dormiens-Dave

Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:16 pm

it was strongly rumoured that it was going last season anyway, the only news here is that its SBNO, which if true is likely due to planning issues or some such other technicality.

i dont know but i guess it must be unsafe to use maybe, otherwise im sure they would run it

AstroDan

Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:17 pm

I presume it simply hasn't passed it's Tech checks - much like what happened with Black Hole in 2005. It wouldn't have been so bad originally, as at least it was being "replaced" with a new attraction. As it stands now, we're basically losing a ride for 2011 and not gaining anything.

:(

CoasterCrazyChris
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:19 pm

Bad times.

There better be some serious park improvements this year to make up for this travesty.

:|

captain
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:33 pm

Speculation:

I'm guessing the park knew about the fate of the Beastie at the beginning of closed season when the rumour of its demise was first heard, but perhaps they assumed it'd be replaced with a new attraction, the 4D cinema. Then when that fell through they just kept Beastie as a non-option for 2011 without spending money on making it fit to operate again.

I'm curious why they'd leave it in the park though, it advertises itself as an attraction that could be available but isn't. It's a shame as it leaves the park -Britain's best themepark which prides itself on being accessible to all members of the family - without a coaster for young children. RMT, Spinball and Thirteen are all a step up really.

I'd be very surprised if the parkwide maintenance we all want does happen, although they should have a fair bit of spare cash handy. Or an epic Black Hole replacement for 2012 I hope!

Dormiens-Dave

Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:37 pm

ok when we had the chat with the guy in the waterpark he said that the towers are aware that thery need a small coaster for very young children, so i assume this is a temporary issue that they aim to rectify.

As for why its staying i dont know for sure, but if you look at the history of towers they never knock anything down without a replacement (Black hole tent, the wooden structure to the side of the lawns, the ice tent). I guess its to do with planning permission, if theres already a structure on a site its easier to get permission to replace it.

AstroDan

Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:39 pm

I agree. I think that they'll be looking at adding a small kids coaster ASAP as a direct replacement for Beastie. Without Beastie, they only have RMT and it's just too big for the smallest visitors.

:)

Liam
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:41 pm

Well done Alton Towers... :roll:

AstroDan

Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:42 pm

Although I agree it's very poor - typical of you to pop up when the violins are out, eh Liam ;)

Hope you're OK on the other hand!

:D

moog666
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:44 pm

At risk of getting splattered for this, would it not be a bad Idea for them to try and get hold of a temporary attraction or a fair ride for 2011 season?

Im not personally a fan of this type of attraction going into a proper park but and addition is an addition none the less

If you must make jokes about Steve Jobs, Try to keep them PC.

Liam
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:49 pm

2002 remains the last time something truly ambitious was attempted.

I'm not sure they'll ever be something akin to that, '98 or '94 again though. It's the nature of companies that are bought out by private equity groups that they become machines that are kept to pay off the debts that bought them in the first place.
Last edited by Liam on Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.